Canine idiot savant

Bobcat

May 5, 2009, 7:18:01 AM5/5/09
I love it when Satch suddenly comes out with something that's
completely beyond his usual limited knowledge...

http://comics.com/get_fuzzy/2009-05-05/

deto...@hotmail.com

May 5, 2009, 9:33:20 AM5/5/09

I saw a cable TV show about Gropius' Bauhaus school recently. I
wonder if that was the inspiration for this strip.

--
Regards,
Dann

Bobcat

May 5, 2009, 9:58:27 AM5/5/09
> Dann

Probably. Darby Conley's a savvy guy, and that show would probably be
within his scope of interes.

Ted Kerin

May 5, 2009, 10:20:14 AM5/5/09

"Bobcat" <bob_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>I love it when Satch suddenly comes out with something that's
> completely beyond his usual limited knowledge...
>
> http://comics.com/get_fuzzy/2009-05-05/

Love it!

Conley keeps us on our toes, about Satchel. This dog has depths yet
unplunged, which is a nice twist on the usual suggestion that cats are
somehow deeper than dogs.

Of course, my own current dog (a golden retriever), while a very sweet soul,
is a total dope. And the cat is equally stupid, but with more puking. Which
the dog eats. Not quite the neatly interlocked, intellectual triumvirate of
Get Fuzzy, but I still enjoy the strip, not least for Darby's ideas about
cats and dogs.

Sherwood Harrington

May 5, 2009, 10:33:07 AM5/5/09
Ted Kerin <nos...@hereplease.com> wrote:

> [T]he cat is equally stupid, but with more puking.

Post Fragment of the Year.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

Joseph Nebus

May 5, 2009, 11:12:47 AM5/5/09
deto...@hotmail.com writes:

You know, I think I saw that show too. Had the bit about the
chess set designed so the pieces suggested the moves they could legally
make?

--
Joseph Nebus

deto...@hotmail.com

May 5, 2009, 11:26:47 AM5/5/09
On May 5, 11:12 am, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:

> detox...@hotmail.com writes:
> >On May 5, 7:18=A0am, Bobcat <bob_c...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> I love it when Satch suddenly comes out with something that's
> >> completely beyond his usual limited knowledge...
>
> >>http://comics.com/get_fuzzy/2009-05-05/
> >I saw a cable TV show about Gropius' Bauhaus school recently.  I
> >wonder if that was the inspiration for this strip.
>
>         You know, I think I saw that show too.  Had the bit about the
> chess set designed so the pieces suggested the moves they could legally
> make?

I don't recall that portion. The show I saw was very focused on
talking about the artisan/journeyman training aspect of the school.
Specifically, that people that were going to work in one design medium
ought to have experience in manufacturing those materials so as to
better understand how to specify future designs.

i.e. someone that was going to work with fabrics spent time learning
to weave different types of thread, etc.

Very interesting stuff.

--
Regards,
Dann

Ted Kerin

May 5, 2009, 12:26:08 PM5/5/09

Everything I know about Walter Gropius and Bauhaus, I learned from Tom
Lehrer.

Not bragging about my ignorance, just establishing solidarity with other TL
fans here.

Ted Kerin

May 5, 2009, 12:27:56 PM5/5/09
Ted Kerin wrote:

> Everything I know about Walter Gropius and Bauhaus, I learned from Tom
> Lehrer.
>
> Not bragging about my ignorance, just establishing solidarity with
> other TL fans here.

http://www.stlyrics.com/songs/t/tomlehrer3903/alma185503.html

Mike Marshall

May 5, 2009, 11:30:29 AM5/5/09
"Ted Kerin" <nos...@hereplease.com> writes:
>Of course, my own current dog (a golden retriever), while a very sweet soul,
>is a total dope. And the cat is equally stupid, but with more puking. Which
>the dog eats.

All dogs are disgusting creatures...

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~hubcap/bonnieSmile.jpg

-Mike "some of the time..."

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

May 5, 2009, 12:53:58 PM5/5/09
On May 5, 12:26 pm, "Ted Kerin" <nos...@hereplease.com> wrote:

> Everything I know about Walter Gropius and Bauhaus, I learned from Tom
> Lehrer.
>
> Not bragging about my ignorance, just establishing solidarity with other TL
> fans here.

I hear that Bauhaus is a very, very fine house.

Paul

May 5, 2009, 1:30:14 PM5/5/09
Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote in
6a17e1...@o20g2000vbh.googlegroups.co
m:

With two cats in the yard.

--
Paul

deto...@hotmail.com

May 5, 2009, 2:03:48 PM5/5/09
On May 5, 1:30 pm, Paul <pssaw...@comcast.net.INVALID> wrote:
> Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharrisjr_i...@yahoo.com> wrote in
> 6a17e1a19...@o20g2000vbh.googlegroups.co

> m:
>
> > On May 5, 12:26 pm, "Ted Kerin" <nos...@hereplease.com> wrote:
>
> >> Everything I know about Walter Gropius and Bauhaus, I learned
> >> from Tom Lehrer.
>
> >> Not bragging about my ignorance, just establishing solidarity
> >> with other
> > TL
> >> fans here.
>
> > I hear that Bauhaus is a very, very fine house.
>
> With two cats in the yard.

This thread drift is giving a serious case of deja vu.

--
Regards,
Dann

Bobcat

May 5, 2009, 2:43:32 PM5/5/09
On May 5, 12:26 pm, "Ted Kerin" <nos...@hereplease.com> wrote:

> Everything I know about Walter Gropius and Bauhaus, I learned from Tom
> Lehrer.
> Not bragging about my ignorance, just establishing solidarity with other TL

> fans here.- Hide quoted text -

I love TL's work. Some of it's naughty but nice. Some years ago his
boy scout song, "Be Prepared" got me in trouble at work. I was
producing a mid-morning radio network radio show, and one day we
broadcast "Be Prepared". After the show I was called into the Program
Director's office. He reamed me out for the bad taste I'd allowed to
be broadcast. It seems that the mother of a boy scout had phoned,
complaining that it children might be listening, it was an insult to
the scouting movement, yadda yadda. The Program Director caved in to
her and said he'd order that the host apologize on the air. Talk about
political correctness! First of all, kids were in school at that time
of day. And second, the lyrics were tame compared to the ones you hear
now. It was the final lines that caused all the fuss:

"Be prepared! That's the Boy Scouts' solemn creed,
Be prepared! And be clean in word and deed.
Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice,
Unless you get a good percentage of her price.

Be prepared! And be careful not to do
Your good deeds when there's no one watching you.
If you're looking for adventure of a
new and different kind,
And you come across a Girl Scout who is
similarly inclined,
Don't be nervous, don't be flustered, don't be scared.
Be prepared!"

aemeijers

May 5, 2009, 6:09:24 PM5/5/09
Chuckle. It is a standing joke in the construction trades, that anyone
graduating from an architecture school should have to swing a hammer
for at least a year, before they are allowed to hang out a shingle and
wield their stamp. I understand some schools are actually requiring
their students to intern on real construction sites, at least for a few
weeks.

--
aem sends....

Dann

May 5, 2009, 8:29:02 PM5/5/09
On 05 May 2009, aemeijers said the following in news:oO2Ml.27618
$941....@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net.

> deto...@hotmail.com wrote:

>> I don't recall that portion. The show I saw was very focused on
>> talking about the artisan/journeyman training aspect of the school.
>> Specifically, that people that were going to work in one design medium
>> ought to have experience in manufacturing those materials so as to
>> better understand how to specify future designs.
>>
>> i.e. someone that was going to work with fabrics spent time learning
>> to weave different types of thread, etc.
>>
>> Very interesting stuff.
>>

> Chuckle. It is a standing joke in the construction trades, that anyone
> graduating from an architecture school should have to swing a hammer
> for at least a year, before they are allowed to hang out a shingle and
> wield their stamp. I understand some schools are actually requiring
> their students to intern on real construction sites, at least for a few
> weeks.

I am of the same opinion regarding people that design aviation
electronics as well as automobiles. Fortunately....for them....I am in
no position to enforce such a dictum.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Mike Beede

May 5, 2009, 8:44:02 PM5/5/09
In article <gtpin3$80l$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
Sherwood Harrington <sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:

> Ted Kerin <nos...@hereplease.com> wrote:
>
> > [T]he cat is equally stupid, but with more puking.
>
> Post Fragment of the Year.

I had no idea that category even existed.

Mike Beede

Mike Beede

May 5, 2009, 8:46:49 PM5/5/09
In article <Xns9C02D0F941F0Dd...@74.209.136.98>,
Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Screw the electronics--I think airline executives should have
to ride eight hours a day in coach.

Mike Beede

Sherwood Harrington

May 5, 2009, 8:50:45 PM5/5/09

Next to a colicy baby and right across the aisle from a latrine.

Sherwood Harrington

May 5, 2009, 8:51:34 PM5/5/09

Now it.

Dann

May 5, 2009, 10:17:06 PM5/5/09
On 05 May 2009, Sherwood Harrington said the following in news:gtqmul$p1
$2...@blue.rahul.net.

> Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:
>> In article <gtpin3$80l$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
>> Sherwood Harrington <sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:

>>> Post Fragment of the Year.
>>>

>> I had no idea that category even existed.
>
> Now it.

ROF

Mike Beede

May 5, 2009, 11:11:20 PM5/5/09
In article <Xns9C02E34BCC013d...@74.209.136.81>,
Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 05 May 2009, Sherwood Harrington said the following in news:gtqmul$p1
> $2...@blue.rahul.net.
>
> > Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:

> >> I had no idea that category even existed.
> >
> > Now it.
> >

> ROF

Dog Post Of The Week!

Mike Beede

Antonio E. Gonzalez

May 6, 2009, 12:53:54 AM5/6/09
On Tue, 5 May 2009 04:18:01 -0700 (PDT), Bobcat <bob_...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I love it when Satch suddenly comes out with something that's
>completely beyond his usual limited knowledge...
>
>http://comics.com/get_fuzzy/2009-05-05/

So then I have to be the one to point out this is a re-run from two
years ago . . .

--

- ReFlex76

JC Dill

May 6, 2009, 1:03:36 AM5/6/09
Bobcat wrote:
> On May 5, 12:26 pm, "Ted Kerin" <nos...@hereplease.com> wrote:
>
>> Everything I know about Walter Gropius and Bauhaus, I learned from Tom
>> Lehrer.
>> Not bragging about my ignorance, just establishing solidarity with other TL
>> fans here.- Hide quoted text -
>
> I love TL's work. Some of it's naughty but nice.

*some* of it? Try ALL of it.

I'm a huge fan. I always will remember, twas a year ago November...

jc

Peter B. Steiger

May 6, 2009, 1:34:58 AM5/6/09
On Wed, 06 May 2009 00:51:34 +0000, Sherwood Harrington sez:

>>> Post Fragment of the Year.
>>>

>> I had no idea that category even existed.
>
> Now it.

That's what SHE

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Joseph Nebus

May 6, 2009, 10:53:06 AM5/6/09

So ... the Gropius documentary we were all watching wasn't new,
then?

--
Joseph Nebus

John Reiher

May 5, 2009, 1:17:07 PM5/5/09
In article
<566285a1-cdbf-41c9...@o20g2000vbh.googlegroups.com>,

With Lou Kahn in the yard,

--
The Kedamono Dragon
Pull Pinky's favorite words to email me.

Check out the PowerPointers Shop at:
http://www.cafeshops.com/PowerPointers

Mike Beede

May 6, 2009, 10:01:24 PM5/6/09
In article <kedamono.Poit-BBB...@server5.usenet.com>,
John Reiher <kedamo...@Narf.mac.com> wrote:

> In article
> <566285a1-cdbf-41c9...@o20g2000vbh.googlegroups.com>,
> Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > On May 5, 12:26�pm, "Ted Kerin" <nos...@hereplease.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Everything I know about Walter Gropius and Bauhaus, I learned from Tom
> > > Lehrer.
> > >
> > > Not bragging about my ignorance, just establishing solidarity with other TL
> > > fans here.
> >
> > I hear that Bauhaus is a very, very fine house.
>
> With Lou Kahn in the yard,

Remembering lyrics before Google was hard.

Mike Beede

Sherwood Harrington

May 6, 2009, 10:42:23 PM5/6/09

It used to be so hard. Now everything's so easy 'cause of Brin and Page.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Woodstock, California