Bizarro (9-16)

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 17, 2008, 1:42:43 AM9/17/08
It's rare puns have the power to get a good laugh out of me, it's
either incidental, or a groan; this was pretty good . . .:

<http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/Bizarro.asp?date=20080916>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Bobcat

Sep 17, 2008, 6:14:49 AM9/17/08
On Sep 17, 1:42 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>     It's rare puns have the power to get a good laugh out of me, it's
> either incidental, or a groan; this was pretty good . . .:
>   <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/Bizarro.asp?date=20080916>

'Splain, please. Sorry, it's very early in the morning and that's my
excuse for not getting it.

cryptoguy

Sep 17, 2008, 9:54:29 AM9/17/08

Mike Marshall

Sep 17, 2008, 9:55:32 AM9/17/08
Bobcat <bob_...@hotmail.com> writes:

>On Sep 17, 1:42=A0am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>> =A0 =A0 It's rare puns have the power to get a good laugh out of me, it's

>> either incidental, or a groan; this was pretty good . . .:

>> =A0 <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/Bizarro.asp?date=3D20080916>

>'Splain, please. Sorry, it's very early in the morning and that's my
>excuse for not getting it.

No Shoes, No Shirt, No Schlotzsky's...

-Mike

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Sep 17, 2008, 11:25:11 AM9/17/08
On Sep 17, 9:55 am, Mike Marshall <hub...@clemson.edu> wrote:

The lodge tennis court can only be used after skiing. The courtside
sign rather graphically states:

"No Sh1t: No Schuss, No Service!"

Rob Wynne

Sep 17, 2008, 11:29:19 AM9/17/08

Mmmm, Schlotzsky's.

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Bobcat

Sep 17, 2008, 11:31:06 AM9/17/08

> http://www.mydoorsign.com/companies/safetyxpress/mediumres/s/s-4887m.gif
> Peter Trei

Hah! Thanks, Peter. Even fully awake I don't think I would have gotten
it. I'd have thought it meant "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Schlotzsky's".
<g>

Bobcat

Sep 17, 2008, 11:50:27 AM9/17/08

On Sep 17, 11:31 am, Bobcat <bob_c...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hah! Thanks, Peter. Even fully awake I don't think I would have gotten
> it. I'd have thought it meant "No Shoes, No Shirt, No Schlotzsky's".

To be honest I wouldn't have said Schlotzsky's. I don't think we have
those restaurants here in Canada, but I'm double-checking with the
Chowhound folks up here.

Mike Marshall

Sep 17, 2008, 12:51:35 PM9/17/08
Bobcat <bob_...@hotmail.com> writes:
>To be honest I wouldn't have said Schlotzsky's. I don't think we have
>those restaurants here in Canada, but I'm double-checking with the
>Chowhound folks up here.

The first Schlotzsky's I ever was in was on a trip to Canada.

But, as with Katie Couric, I can't remember if we were in Canada at
the time....

-Mike "coulda been in transit"

Rob Wynne

Sep 17, 2008, 3:09:42 PM9/17/08
Mike Marshall <hub...@clemson.edu> wrote:
> Bobcat <bob_...@hotmail.com> writes:
>>To be honest I wouldn't have said Schlotzsky's. I don't think we have
>>those restaurants here in Canada, but I'm double-checking with the
>>Chowhound folks up here.
>
> The first Schlotzsky's I ever was in was on a trip to Canada.

My first Schlotsky's was in Athens, GA, where I loved for a few years in
the 90s. It was the scene of my second least successful attempt to predict
the future.

I had just moved there, and had left my car up in North Carolina at my
mom's house. So my friend Jeff drove down to visit and I was going to ride
back up with him to fetch my car. Before we hit the road, we stopped at
Schlotsky's for an early lunch.

Out front of the place was a newspaper stand, and the banner headline on
the Atlanta Constitution read "IRAQI TANKS ROLL INTO KUWAIT". Jeff said
"Oh, I don't like the look of that." and I shrugged and said "Those middle
eastern countries are invading each other all the time. It'll probably blow
over in a couple of weeks."

Rob
(Medium original on sourdough, hold the olives, extra cheese...)

Mike Marshall

Sep 17, 2008, 4:06:02 PM9/17/08
Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> writes:
>My first Schlotsky's was in Athens, GA...

I hope you ate at The Taco Stand while you were there...

-Mike

Rob Wynne

Sep 17, 2008, 5:07:14 PM9/17/08

I've eaten at the Taco Stand enough times to horrify my doctor, I imagine.
Especially the good one over on Prince -- not that the other locations
don't also have their charms.

Sadly, I no longer live in Athens, so it's a long drive just for the Taco
Stand. If I'm gonna drive all the way over to Athens, I'm gonna eat at
Harry Bissett's.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 17, 2008, 5:30:21 PM9/17/08

A few years back, the LA Zoo opened a new Small Felines of Africa
exhibit; it was sponsored by The Discovery Channel, and Wrigley's.
Opeining night was invitation only, and they had special "tickets" to
be let in: a toy carcharodon, and golden wrapped gun.

That's right . . .

No Shark.
No Chews.
No Servals.

--
- ReFlex 76

Sherwood Harrington

Sep 17, 2008, 5:43:48 PM9/17/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> A few years back, the LA Zoo opened a new Small Felines of Africa
> exhibit; it was sponsored by The Discovery Channel, and Wrigley's.
> Opeining night was invitation only, and they had special "tickets" to
> be let in: a toy carcharodon, and golden wrapped gun.

^^^
"gum," right?

> That's right . . .

Good. I'm relieved, as I'm sure the Small Felines would have been.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

Mike Beede

Sep 17, 2008, 11:47:48 PM9/17/08
In article <7461d45cgfk1119is...@4ax.com>,

Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

> It's rare puns have the power to get a good laugh out of me, it's
> either incidental, or a groan; this was pretty good . . .:
>
> <http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/Bizarro.asp?date=20080916>

I was wondering to myself if there was any way to have done
this that would have been funny. I decided, "no," because
it was just too contrived. Even if you had two panels. Maybe
if you stretched it to three or four by disguising some of the
stuff in separate word bubbles, a la PBS.

And I *like* puns.

Mike Beede

Bobcat

Sep 18, 2008, 6:25:18 AM9/18/08

On Sep 17, 12:51 pm, Mike Marshall <hub...@clemson.edu> wrote:
> The first Schlotzsky's I ever was in was on a trip to Canada.
> But, as with Katie Couric, I can't remember if we were in Canada at
> the time....

You might have been, according to a couple of Chowhounds who replied
to my question whether there were Schlotskys here. One said "There
used to be one beside the University of Waterloo [Ontario] but it
closed years and years ago. I'm assuming it was the same chain. This
was in the early 90's so things may have changed since then?" Someone
else in Vancouver replied, "The one in Waterloo is not part of the
chain."

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 18, 2008, 9:54:28 AM9/18/08
On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:43:48 +0000 (UTC), Sherwood Harrington
<sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:

>Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> A few years back, the LA Zoo opened a new Small Felines of Africa
>> exhibit; it was sponsored by The Discovery Channel, and Wrigley's.
>> Opeining night was invitation only, and they had special "tickets" to
>> be let in: a toy carcharodon, and golden wrapped gun.
> ^^^
>"gum," right?
>
>> That's right . . .
>
>Good. I'm relieved, as I'm sure the Small Felines would have been.

Well, I was in a bit of a hurry; mistakes tend to happen when
working under the gum . . .

--

- ReFlex76

Mike Marshall

Sep 18, 2008, 10:20:24 AM9/18/08
Bobcat <bob_...@hotmail.com> writes:
>You might have been, according to a couple of Chowhounds who replied
>to my question whether there were Schlotskys here. One said "There
>used to be one beside the University of Waterloo [Ontario] but it
>closed years and years ago.

I did a bunch of walking around in Kitchener, that's near by...

Could have been there. It was the early 90's...

-Mike "Dave Sim..."

James Nicoll

Sep 18, 2008, 11:45:06 AM9/18/08
In article <gato38$9sn$1...@hubcap.clemson.edu>,

There was one in a mall near Queen and King, in the spot
the Rainbow Cafe (?) is currently in.

--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 18, 2008, 11:43:32 AM9/18/08
In article <gatt22$60u$1...@reader1.panix.com>,

James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:

>In article <gato38$9sn$1...@hubcap.clemson.edu>,
>Mike Marshall <hub...@clemson.edu> wrote:
>>Bobcat <bob_...@hotmail.com> writes:
>>>You might have been, according to a couple of Chowhounds who replied
>>>to my question whether there were Schlotskys here. One said "There
>>>used to be one beside the University of Waterloo [Ontario] but it
>>>closed years and years ago.
>>
>>I did a bunch of walking around in Kitchener, that's near by...
>>
>>Could have been there. It was the early 90's...
>
> There was one in a mall near Queen and King, in the spot
>the Rainbow Cafe (?) is currently in.
>

>--
>http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll

Their web site claims Canadian locations, but hte store locator seems only
to work for US stores. I do like their rolls!

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

racs...@gmail.com

Sep 18, 2008, 12:02:52 PM9/18/08
On Sep 18, 9:54 am, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 21:43:48 +0000 (UTC), Sherwood Harrington
>
> <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:

> >Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >>    A few years back, the LA Zoo opened a new Small Felines of Africa
> >> exhibit; it was sponsored by The Discovery Channel, and Wrigley's.
> >> Opeining night was invitation only, and they had special "tickets" to
> >> be let in: a toy carcharodon, and golden wrapped gun.
> >                                                   ^^^
> >"gum," right?
>
> >>   That's right . . .
>
> >Good.  I'm relieved, as I'm sure the Small Felines would have been.
>
>    Well, I was in a bit of a hurry; mistakes tend to happen when
> working under the gum . . .

My periodontist used to say the same thing ... which made me
nervous ...

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com