Upcoming changes at Comics.com

Olz

Oct 6, 2008, 4:22:07 PM10/6/08
Jimmy Johnson has posted some info about upcoming changes.

http://arloandjanis.com/?p=514

Ted Kerin

Oct 6, 2008, 5:04:52 PM10/6/08
Olz wrote:
> Jimmy Johnson has posted some info about upcoming changes.
>
> http://arloandjanis.com/?p=514

If I understand correctly, this is a good thing. Except maybe, for selfish
reasons, to those of us who have ongoing subscriptions that we paid for, to
get something that now will be free.

Now, really good news would be if they increased the resolution of the
strips to about 800 pixels wide. And maintained a consistent policy of
running the "banned" versions of the occasional controversial strips.

racs...@gmail.com

Oct 6, 2008, 5:40:57 PM10/6/08

If it means that those of us who have been paying to avoid ads will
have to (A) click on each strip instead of building a page and (B)
have to deal with ads, then I'm not going to be too happy about this.

But we'll see, I guess. Several of the strips I read there are also
available elsewhere. If it becomes too much of a pain in the ass, I'll
find a way around it.

And if they just start giving the service away without ads ... I'll be
pleasantly surprised!

We'll see.

Mike "Membership had its privileges" Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

cryptoguy

Oct 6, 2008, 8:15:07 PM10/6/08
On Oct 6, 5:40 pm, "peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racss...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Can't help with the ads, but if you use firefox, you can put bookmarks
to all your daily strips in a folder, and then use the 'Open in Tabs'
option
to open them all at once, each in its own tab. I just click to close
each tab after I read it. It's quick, though not quite as convenient
than a page ala the Chron.

Peter Trei

Carl Fink

Oct 6, 2008, 8:26:45 PM10/6/08
I don't pay to avoid ads, I pay so that creators like Johnson get a taste. I
use AdBlock Plus, so I don't see the ads one way or the other.
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 6, 2008, 10:22:52 PM10/6/08
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 13:22:07 -0700 (PDT), Olz <1DP...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Jimmy Johnson has posted some info about upcoming changes.
>
>http://arloandjanis.com/?p=514

So basically, it's the GoComics.com model, without the subscription
advantages . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

J.D. Baldwin

Oct 6, 2008, 10:23:34 PM10/6/08

In the previous article, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
> I don't pay to avoid ads, I pay so that creators like Johnson get a
> taste. I use AdBlock Plus, so I don't see the ads one way or the
> other.

We don't have to have this *whole* discussion again, but as long as
we're hitting the high points:

I pay for added value. I'm not completely insensate to the whole
compensation-for-artists thing, but that's more of a factor in buying
books (which I do, quite a lot) than paying for web access to
otherwise free content.

I've written several of these "pay for enhanced access" sites to say
that I'd cheerfully pay for readable graphic images of the strips /
panels, but I have no interest in extended archives, searchability,
ad-skipping or any of the other stuff they do offer. I WANT BIG
IMAGES. I happen to know for an absolute fact that I am not alone in
this desire. Give me the big images, I'll cough up the cash. Jesus,
how hard is this to understand?
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Carl Fink

Oct 6, 2008, 11:46:46 PM10/6/08
On 2008-10-07, J.D. Baldwin <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote:

> I've written several of these "pay for enhanced access" sites to say
> that I'd cheerfully pay for readable graphic images of the strips /
> panels, but I have no interest in extended archives, searchability,
> ad-skipping or any of the other stuff they do offer. I WANT BIG
> IMAGES. I happen to know for an absolute fact that I am not alone in
> this desire. Give me the big images, I'll cough up the cash. Jesus,
> how hard is this to understand?

I'm with you, FWIW.

Mike Beede

Oct 9, 2008, 12:01:14 AM10/9/08
In article <slrngelmtb...@panix2.panix.com>,
Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:

> On 2008-10-07, J.D. Baldwin <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> > I've written several of these "pay for enhanced access" sites to say
> > that I'd cheerfully pay for readable graphic images of the strips /
> > panels, but I have no interest in extended archives, searchability,
> > ad-skipping or any of the other stuff they do offer. I WANT BIG
> > IMAGES. I happen to know for an absolute fact that I am not alone in
> > this desire. Give me the big images, I'll cough up the cash. Jesus,
> > how hard is this to understand?
>
> I'm with you, FWIW.

Me too. It seems like such a no-brainer.

Mike Beede