Fast Track (6-5)

1 view

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 5, 2008, 5:34:06 PM6/5/08
I take it this means Mac and Linux users (among others) are The
Bug's worst nightmare . . .:

<http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20080605&name=Fast_Track>

<http://preview.tinyurl.com/66hspz>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Freezer

Jun 5, 2008, 6:56:36 PM6/5/08
If I don't respond to this Antonio E. Gonzalez post, the terrorists
win.

> I take it this means Mac and Linux users (among others) are The
> Bug's worst nightmare . . .:
>

> <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComick.mpl?date=20080605&name
> =Fast_Track>
>
> <http://preview.tinyurl.com/66hspz>

So why, exactly, *couldn't* Patina switch to Linux (as Geek Cred
apparently demands) if she wanted to? That is *her* laptop, is it not?

--
My name is:
____ _

Peter B. Steiger

Jun 5, 2008, 10:14:09 PM6/5/08
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:34:06 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez sez:
> I take it this means Mac and Linux users (among others) are The
> Bug's worst nightmare . . .:

I don't really think of myself as *that* strident a Linux kook, but it's
gotten to the point where somebody on a humor writer's list will ask for
some technical advice and finish by adding "And Peter, don't tell me to
switch to Linux."

Come to think of it, my wife says that a lot too. And Paige here won't
even talk to me about her son any more because he works for the Evil
Empire.

None are so blind as those who will not see...

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Carl Fink

Jun 5, 2008, 11:15:00 PM6/5/08
On 2008-06-06, Peter B. Steiger <see...@for.email.address> wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 14:34:06 -0700, Antonio E. Gonzalez sez:
>> I take it this means Mac and Linux users (among others) are The
>> Bug's worst nightmare . . .:
>
> I don't really think of myself as *that* strident a Linux kook, but it's
> gotten to the point where somebody on a humor writer's list will ask for
> some technical advice and finish by adding "And Peter, don't tell me to
> switch to Linux."
>
> Come to think of it, my wife says that a lot too. And Paige here won't
> even talk to me about her son any more because he works for the Evil
> Empire.
>
> None are so blind as those who will not see...

Wow, someone worse than me!
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Peter B. Steiger

Jun 6, 2008, 11:27:18 AM6/6/08
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 03:15:00 +0000, Carl Fink sez:

> Wow, someone worse than me!

worse than *I*. What kind of a nitpicker are you, anyway?

bholb...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2008, 11:39:02 AM6/6/08

> So why, exactly, *couldn't* Patina switch to Linux (as Geek Cred
> apparently demands) if she wanted to? That is *her* laptop, is it not?
>
> --
> My name is:
> ____ _
> / ___| | |
> | |__ _ __ ___ ___ ____ ___ _ __ | |
> | __|| '__/ _ \/ _ \/_ // _ \| '__|| |
> | | | | __/ __/ / /| __/| | |_|
> |_| |_| \___|\___||___|\___||_| (_)
> And my anti-drug is porn.http://www.geocities.com/mysterysciencefreezer
> http://freezer818.livejournal.com/

And what makes you think Patina has just one laptop? ;)

BTW, I've really enjoyed doing these superhero strips. I'm going to do
more of them in the future.

Best,
Bill

George Peatty

Jun 6, 2008, 12:22:38 PM6/6/08
On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 22:14:09 -0400, "Peter B. Steiger"
<see...@for.email.address> wrote:

>I don't really think of myself as *that* strident a Linux kook, but it's
>gotten to the point where somebody on a humor writer's list will ask for
>some technical advice and finish by adding "And Peter, don't tell me to
>switch to Linux."

>Come to think of it, my wife says that a lot too. And Paige here won't
>even talk to me about her son any more because he works for the Evil
>Empire.

>None are so blind as those who will not see...

True. So true. I don't see myself as a Linux kook either, but I have it
and use it. And like it. I found the learning curve steep and daunting,
but now that two of my machines are setup, they work really well. My
cronjobs, to cite one example, always execute, and I sure can't say that
about you-know-who's Scheduled Tasks. But, what amuses me the most is how
much XP and Vista look and feel and work like Linux. The Evil Empire is not
above filching what works in the Open Source community. I think that's a
good thing, so long as there is credit where credit is due.

Carl Fink

Jun 6, 2008, 12:33:50 PM6/6/08
On 2008-06-06, Peter B. Steiger <see...@for.email.address> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 03:15:00 +0000, Carl Fink sez:
>
>> Wow, someone worse than me!
>
> worse than *I*. What kind of a nitpicker are you, anyway?

Imperfect.

George W Harris

Jun 6, 2008, 6:25:01 PM6/6/08
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:27:18 -0400, "Peter B. Steiger"
<see...@for.email.address> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 03:15:00 +0000, Carl Fink sez:
>
>> Wow, someone worse than me!
>
>worse than *I*. What kind of a nitpicker are you, anyway?

Actually, in this case 'me' is correct. The usage varies
depending on meaning.

"He is worse than me."

"He sings worse than I."
--
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

Sherwood Harrington

Jun 6, 2008, 7:03:13 PM6/6/08
George W Harris <gha...@mundsprung.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 11:27:18 -0400, "Peter B. Steiger"
> <see...@for.email.address> wrote:

>>On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 03:15:00 +0000, Carl Fink sez:
>>
>>> Wow, someone worse than me!
>>
>>worse than *I*. What kind of a nitpicker are you, anyway?

> Actually, in this case 'me' is correct. The usage varies
> depending on meaning.

> "He is worse than me."

> "He sings worse than I."

So this means that Carl was incorrect about being imperfect?

--
Sherwood Harrington
"This statement is a lie."

Carl Fink

Jun 6, 2008, 11:25:06 PM6/6/08

Only if you believe that all Cretans are liars.

johndun...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2008, 5:09:41 AM6/7/08
On Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:39:02 -0700 (PDT), bholb...@gmail.com wrote:

>> So why, exactly, *couldn't* Patina switch to Linux (as Geek Cred
>> apparently demands) if she wanted to? That is *her* laptop, is it not?
>>
>> --
>> My name is:
>> ____ _
>> / ___| | |
>> | |__ _ __ ___ ___ ____ ___ _ __ | |
>> | __|| '__/ _ \/ _ \/_ // _ \| '__|| |
>> | | | | __/ __/ / /| __/| | |_|
>> |_| |_| \___|\___||___|\___||_| (_)
>> And my anti-drug is porn.http://www.geocities.com/mysterysciencefreezer
>> http://freezer818.livejournal.com/
>
>And what makes you think Patina has just one laptop? ;)

Well there is the One Laptop per child project....

>BTW, I've really enjoyed doing these superhero strips. I'm going to do
>more of them in the future.

Good. I still have the strip where FasTrack was hiring laid off Marvel Heroes as a book mark some
where.

bholb...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2008, 10:59:20 AM6/7/08

> >BTW, I've really enjoyed doing these superhero strips. I'm going to do
> >more of them in the future.
>
> Good. I still have the strip where FasTrack was hiring laid off Marvel Heroes as a book mark some
> where.

Wow, thanks; that goes back a while, to the late 1990s, I think. :)
Marvel is doing a lot better these days, of course.

Best,
Bill

Peter B. Steiger

Jun 7, 2008, 12:32:05 PM6/7/08
On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:25:01 -0400, George W Harris sez:
> "He is worse than me."

When would that make sense? "He is worse than I" works because the
completion of the sentence ("He is worse than I [am with regards to Linux
proselytizing]") is implied. Unless the "me" is meant to be the object of
an omitted portion of the sentence ("Mom always liked you more than [she
likes] me")... but then both pronouns would still be the same case -
"him" would go with "me", "he" with "I".

Carl Fink

Jun 7, 2008, 1:27:06 PM6/7/08
On 2008-06-07, Peter B. Steiger <see...@for.email.address> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:25:01 -0400, George W Harris sez:
>> "He is worse than me."
>
> When would that make sense? "He is worse than I" works because the
> completion of the sentence ("He is worse than I [am with regards to Linux
> proselytizing]") is implied. Unless the "me" is meant to be the object of
> an omitted portion of the sentence ("Mom always liked you more than [she
> likes] me")... but then both pronouns would still be the same case -
> "him" would go with "me", "he" with "I".

Without all your elaborate noun phrases, consider that "than" is a
preposition and "me" is the objective case.

Peter B. Steiger

Jun 7, 2008, 2:57:38 PM6/7/08
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 17:27:06 +0000, Carl Fink sez:
> Without all your elaborate noun phrases, consider that "than" is a
> preposition and "me" is the objective case.

Gaaah. I still think I'm right, but popular usage (over centuries, even)
has made "... than me" the preferred choice:
http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/t.html

I still have some support, though:
http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/GRAMMAR/adjectives.htm
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_proncase.html

This author takes the middle ground and dodges a firm answer:
http://www.drgrammar.org/faqs/all.shtml

My conclusion? English profs at Purdue are smarter than those at
Rutgers. "than me" may be more popular in informal speech, but it's
still wrong.

George W Harris

Jun 7, 2008, 3:42:02 PM6/7/08
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 12:32:05 -0400, "Peter B. Steiger"
<see...@for.email.address> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:25:01 -0400, George W Harris sez:
>> "He is worse than me."
>
>When would that make sense? "He is worse than I" works because the
>completion of the sentence ("He is worse than I [am with regards to Linux
>proselytizing]") is implied.

It needn't be. Comparative adjectives needn't
refer to an activity. "He is worse than me" is the same
construction as "Wilt Chamberlain is taller than me."

nancy13g

Jun 7, 2008, 3:54:03 PM6/7/08
On Jun 7, 3:42 pm, George W Harris <ghar...@mundsprung.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 12:32:05 -0400, "Peter B. Steiger"
>
> <see....@for.email.address> wrote:
> >On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 18:25:01 -0400, George W Harris sez:
> >> "He is worse than me."
>
> >When would that make sense? "He is worse than I" works because the
> >completion of the sentence ("He is worse than I [am with regards to Linux
> >proselytizing]") is implied.
>
> It needn't be. Comparative adjectives needn't
> refer to an activity. "He is worse than me" is the same
> construction as "Wilt Chamberlain is taller than me."

Right. And both of them should be "I", not "me". (He is worse than I
am. Wilt Chamberlain is taller than I am.)

Sherwood Harrington

Jun 7, 2008, 4:32:04 PM6/7/08
Peter B. Steiger <see...@for.email.address> wrote:

[...]

> My conclusion? English profs at Purdue are smarter than those at

> Rutgers. [...]

Ancient joke, first heard with the institutions being Harvard and Purdue:

A Purdue grad and a Harvard grad are at adjacent urinals. The Purdue man
finishes his business first and starts to walk toward the door without
stopping to wash his hands. The Harvard man sniffs, "At Harvard, they
teach us to wash our hands after urinating." The Purdue man replies, "At
Purdue, they teach us not to piss on our hands."

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

racs...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2008, 9:30:50 PM6/7/08
On Jun 7, 4:32 pm, Sherwood Harrington <sherwoo...@SPAMrahul.net>
wrote:

> Peter B. Steiger <see....@for.email.address> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > My conclusion?  English profs at Purdue are smarter than those at
> > Rutgers.  [...]
>
> Ancient joke, first heard with the institutions being Harvard and Purdue:
>
> A Purdue grad and a Harvard grad are at adjacent urinals.  The Purdue man
> finishes his business first and starts to walk toward the door without
> stopping to wash his hands.  The Harvard man sniffs, "At Harvard, they
> teach us to wash our hands after urinating."  The Purdue man replies, "At
> Purdue, they teach us not to piss on our hands."

Given the topic, I thought you were going to retell a different
ancient joke (casting it for your purposes):

Purdue grad: Where's the men's room at?
Harvard man: Don't you know better than to end a sentence with a
preposition?
Purdue grad: Oh, you're right, of course. I meant to say, "Where's the
men's room at, asshole?"

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Sherwood Harrington

Jun 7, 2008, 9:47:52 PM6/7/08

Better. Certainly a more parallel fit.

Where'd you go to school, again?

--
Harlan Fiske Stoned
Boulder Creek, California

bholb...@gmail.com

Jun 7, 2008, 10:54:36 PM6/7/08
On Jun 7, 9:30 pm, "peter...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racss...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Growing up, I heard those as Auburn-Alabama jokes.

Best,
Bill (Auburn, class of 1980)

Sherwood Harrington

Jun 7, 2008, 11:55:16 PM6/7/08

YOU GREW UP?? You can't participate in this group anymore, you know.

Freezer

Jun 8, 2008, 12:48:23 AM6/8/08
If I don't respond to this post, the terrorists win.

> Wow, thanks; that goes back a while, to the late 1990s, I think. :)
> Marvel is doing a lot better these days, of course.

Financially, anyways... *bites toungue*

--
My name is:
____ _

johndun...@gmail.com

Jun 16, 2008, 12:00:12 AM6/16/08

Found it-it was from 8 Mar 1997. I xeroxed it to preserve it. I can tell it is from the Washington
Post from the crummy job they do reworking the borders.