Six Chix 25 Sep: Lame again

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 25, 2008, 1:56:39 PM9/25/08
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080925

First -- The choice of who presents the joke. When was
the last time the media tried to talk *up* the
economy? Bad news sells. And it appears to be
a local happy talk anchor team. When do they
talk about the national economy at all? There
should be a politician doing the presentation
with someone else doing the punchline.

Second -- The punch line. "The Big Rock Candy Mountains"!!??
Is she aiming at the last two Burl Ives fans alive?

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Len-L

Sep 25, 2008, 2:31:44 PM9/25/08
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:56:39 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) opined:

>http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080925

>Second -- The punch line. "The Big Rock Candy Mountains"!!??
> Is she aiming at the last two Burl Ives fans alive?

Yes, and as one of them, I laughed.
Len-L

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 25, 2008, 2:36:14 PM9/25/08
In article <47mnd4hrbn1nlr9om...@4ax.com>,

So *you*'re the other one!

Sherwood Harrington

Sep 25, 2008, 2:53:13 PM9/25/08
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
> In article <47mnd4hrbn1nlr9om...@4ax.com>,
> Len-L <len...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:56:39 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
>><tednolan>) opined:
>>
>>>http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080925
>>>
>>>Second -- The punch line. "The Big Rock Candy Mountains"!!??
>>> Is she aiming at the last two Burl Ives fans alive?
>>
>>Yes, and as one of them, I laughed.
>>Len-L

> So *you*'re the other one!

There are at least three of us, then -- a set pretty much congruent with
that of people who know what "rock candy" is.

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

Rob Wynne

Sep 25, 2008, 3:11:52 PM9/25/08

I'll be number four. Can we get a fifth? I've never been one to turn down
a fifth.

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 25, 2008, 3:14:15 PM9/25/08

In the previous article, Sherwood Harrington

<sherw...@SPAMrahul.net> wrote:

> >>Yes, and as one of them, I laughed.
> >>Len-L
>
> > So *you*'re the other one!
>
> There are at least three of us, then -- a set pretty much congruent
> with that of people who know what "rock candy" is.

I think that song got a new infusion of life a few years back when "O
Brother, Where Art Thou?" was released, and its soundtrack album was a
huge seller. Nothing to do with Burl Ives directly, of course.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

Rob Wynne

Sep 25, 2008, 3:37:38 PM9/25/08
J.D. Baldwin <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote:

>> > So *you*'re the other one!
>>
>> There are at least three of us, then -- a set pretty much congruent
>> with that of people who know what "rock candy" is.
>
> I think that song got a new infusion of life a few years back when "O
> Brother, Where Art Thou?" was released, and its soundtrack album was a
> huge seller. Nothing to do with Burl Ives directly, of course.

Apropos of nothing, J.D., congrats on your appointment to that venerable
Internet institution, r.h.f.

Rich Carreiro

Sep 25, 2008, 3:24:57 PM9/25/08
t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) writes:

> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080925

> Second -- The punch line. "The Big Rock Candy Mountains"!!??
> Is she aiming at the last two Burl Ives fans alive?

Hey -- we live in a post-"O Brother" era. Harry McClintock,
not Burl Ives. :)

--
Rich Carreiro rlc-...@rlcarr.com

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 25, 2008, 3:58:44 PM9/25/08
In article <6MRCk.316$MX3...@eagle.america.net>,

Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:

>J.D. Baldwin <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote:

>>> There are at least three of us, then -- a set pretty much congruent
>>> with that of people who know what "rock candy" is.
>>
>> I think that song got a new infusion of life a few years back when "O
>> Brother, Where Art Thou?" was released, and its soundtrack album was a
>> huge seller. Nothing to do with Burl Ives directly, of course.
>
>Apropos of nothing, J.D., congrats on your appointment to that venerable
>Internet institution, r.h.f.
>
>--
>Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net

Didn't know it was in Brother, and I'm pretty sure people recorded it before
Ives as well, just doubted that *any* of their fans were still alive..

Seconded! Now maybe we can haz *two* jokes a month!

Rob Wynne

Sep 25, 2008, 4:10:40 PM9/25/08
Ted Nolan <tednolan> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:
> In article <6MRCk.316$MX3...@eagle.america.net>,
> Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:
>>

>>J.D. Baldwin <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote:

>>> I think that song got a new infusion of life a few years back when "O
>>> Brother, Where Art Thou?" was released, and its soundtrack album was a
>>> huge seller. Nothing to do with Burl Ives directly, of course.
>>
>>Apropos of nothing, J.D., congrats on your appointment to that venerable
>>Internet institution, r.h.f.
>>

> Didn't know it was in Brother, and I'm pretty sure people recorded it before
> Ives as well, just doubted that *any* of their fans were still alive..

I'm under 40, and I remember having at least one Burl Ives album as a kid.

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net

nickelshrink

Sep 25, 2008, 4:29:16 PM9/25/08
Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080925
>
> First -- The choice of who presents the joke. When was
> the last time the media tried to talk *up* the
> economy?

Oh, my guess would be, last time
Mattel, Pfizer, Century 21, Olive Garden, Mitchum,
Kimberly-Clark, Dreamworks, Sony, Sears, iPod, GM,
La-Z-Boy, Snapper, or ShamWow sent them a check?

--
pax,
ruth

Save trees AND money! Buy used books!
http://stores.ebay.com/Noir-and-More-Books-and-Trains

nickelshrink

Sep 25, 2008, 4:40:15 PM9/25/08
Rob Wynne wrote:
> Sherwood Harrington <sherw...@spamrahul.net> wrote:
>> Ted Nolan <tednolan> <t...@loft.tnolan.com> wrote:

>>> So *you*'re the other one!
>> There are at least three of us, then -- a set pretty much congruent with
>> that of people who know what "rock candy" is.
>>

> I'll be number four. Can we get a fifth? I've never been one to turn down
> a fifth.

Got one! But you can have my fifth of that fifth.

aemeijers

Sep 25, 2008, 5:17:43 PM9/25/08
Rob Wynne wrote:
> J.D. Baldwin <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote:
>(Snip)

> Apropos of nothing, J.D., congrats on your appointment to that venerable
> Internet institution, r.h.f.
^^^^^^

?????

---
aem sends....

aemeijers

Sep 25, 2008, 5:27:26 PM9/25/08
Never mind, I found it
Congrats, J.D., your time management skills obviously exceed mine.

--
aem sends...

Len-L

Sep 25, 2008, 6:30:27 PM9/25/08
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:58:44 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
<tednolan>) opined:

>In article <6MRCk.316$MX3...@eagle.america.net>,

>Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:
>>

>>J.D. Baldwin <INVALID...@example.com.invalid> wrote:

>>> I think that song got a new infusion of life a few years back when "O
>>> Brother, Where Art Thou?" was released, and its soundtrack album was a
>>> huge seller. Nothing to do with Burl Ives directly, of course.

The soundtrack had the non-cleaned up version of Big Rock Candy
Mountain.
Len-L

Evan Kirshenbaum

Sep 25, 2008, 7:44:36 PM9/25/08
Len-L <len...@gmail.com> writes:

> The soundtrack had the non-cleaned up version of Big Rock Candy
> Mountain.

How non-cleaned up? Just the cigarette trees and the lake of gin or
did it include the line about being "buggered sore like a hobo's
whore"?

HP Laboratories |Well, if you can't believe what you
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |read in a comic book, what can you
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |believe?!
| Bullwinkle J. Moose
kirsh...@hpl.hp.com
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

Mike Beede

Sep 25, 2008, 9:32:27 PM9/25/08
In article <U3SCk.34272$XB4....@bignews9.bellsouth.net>,

t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

> Didn't know it was in Brother, and I'm pretty sure people recorded it before
> Ives as well, just doubted that *any* of their fans were still alive..

I know part of the song, but I'm damned if I know why. I know
it wasn't Ives, because I never liked him. iTunes shows about
fifty or sixty versions by a variety of people I'm sure I've
never heard sing it. I *may* have actually looked up the
lyrics back when the kids were little in a thing we used to
call a "library."

The cartoon wasn't funny, though. And it was "mountain,"
not "mountains."

Now get those protractors off my lawn.

Mike Beede

racs...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2008, 9:37:59 PM9/25/08
On Sep 25, 6:30 pm, Len-L <len...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 19:58:44 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
> <tednolan>) opined:
>

> >In article <6MRCk.316$MX3....@eagle.america.net>,
> >Rob Wynne  <d...@america.net> wrote:

> The soundtrack had the non-cleaned up version of Big Rock Candy
> Mountain.

Big Rock Candy Mountain, singular. You are correct, sir.

I didn't even get into the "media cheerleading for the economy" aspect
because the misquote on the title was a distraction.

Well, that plus the humming of the bees in the sugar plum trees. And
the ear worm.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Mike Beede

Sep 25, 2008, 9:38:29 PM9/25/08
In article <beede-00EECB....@news.visi.com>,
Mike Beede <be...@visi.com> wrote:

> The cartoon wasn't funny, though. And it was "mountain,"
> not "mountains."

Damn. In spite of my flawless memory, the oldest version I
can find (possibly the original) says "mountains," though
not in the title.

Mike Beede

Mike B

Sep 25, 2008, 11:28:55 PM9/25/08
Len-L quoted and wrote:
>>I think that song got a new infusion of life a few years back
>>when "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" was released, and its
>>soundtrack album was a huge seller. Nothing to do with Burl Ives
>>directly, of course.
>
> The soundtrack had the non-cleaned up version
> of Big Rock Candy Mountain.

The one with "cigarette trees" and other hobo dreams, I gather?

But I discovered even this version, the oldest I've heard, by Harry
McClintock, is sanitized. From the Wiki article on the song:
___________________________

Before recording the song, McClintock cleaned it up considerably from
the version he sang as a street busker in 1897. Originally the song
described a child being recruited into hobo life by tales of the "big
rock candy mountain". Such recruitment actually occurred, with hobos
enchanting children with tales of adventure called ghost stories by
other hobos. In proof of his authorship of the song, McClintock
published the original words, the last stanza of which was:

The punk rolled up his big blue eyes
And said to the jocker, "Sandy,
I've hiked and hiked and wandered too,
But I ain't seen any candy.
I've hiked and hiked till my feet are sore
And I'll be damned if I hike any more
To be buggered sore like a hobo's whore
In the Big Rock Candy Mountains."

George W Harris

Sep 26, 2008, 12:39:13 AM9/26/08
<tednolan>) wrote:

>Second -- The punch line. "The Big Rock Candy Mountains"!!??
> Is she aiming at the last two Burl Ives fans alive?

The song "Big Rock Candy Mountain" predates Burl
Ives' birth by nearly 20 years.
--
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

Dann

Sep 26, 2008, 7:00:58 AM9/26/08
On 25 Sep 2008, nickelshrink said the following in news:6k2akoF5q70bU2
@mid.individual.net.

> Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080925
>>
>> First -- The choice of who presents the joke. When was
>> the last time the media tried to talk *up* the economy?
>

> Oh, my guess would be, last time
> Mattel, Pfizer, Century 21, Olive Garden, Mitchum,
> Kimberly-Clark, Dreamworks, Sony, Sears, iPod, GM,
> La-Z-Boy, Snapper, or ShamWow sent them a check?

?????

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Len-L

Sep 26, 2008, 10:17:56 AM9/26/08
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 16:44:36 -0700, Evan Kirshenbaum
<kirsh...@hpl.hp.com> opined:

>Len-L <len...@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The soundtrack had the non-cleaned up version of Big Rock Candy
>> Mountain.
>
>How non-cleaned up? Just the cigarette trees and the lake of gin or
>did it include the line about being "buggered sore like a hobo's
>whore"?

Just the cigarettes and gin, which were missing from Ives' version.
Len-L

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 26, 2008, 12:15:47 PM9/26/08
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 00:39:13 -0400, George W Harris
<gha...@mundsprung.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 17:56:39 GMT, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan
><tednolan>) wrote:
>
>>Second -- The punch line. "The Big Rock Candy Mountains"!!??
>> Is she aiming at the last two Burl Ives fans alive?
>
> The song "Big Rock Candy Mountain" predates Burl
>Ives' birth by nearly 20 years.

The one I remember was that slightly altered version done by Hootie
and the Blowfish for Burger King . . .

"The (chicken) breasts they grow on trees!"

nickelshrink

Sep 26, 2008, 1:18:02 PM9/26/08
Dann wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2008, nickelshrink said the following in news:6k2akoF5q70bU2
> @mid.individual.net.
>
>> Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
>>> http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080925
>>>
>>> First -- The choice of who presents the joke. When was
>>> the last time the media tried to talk *up* the economy?
>>
>> Oh, my guess would be, last time
>> Mattel, Pfizer, Century 21, Olive Garden, Mitchum,
>> Kimberly-Clark, Dreamworks, Sony, Sears, iPod, GM,
>> La-Z-Boy, Snapper, or ShamWow sent them a check?
>
> ?????

"And now a word from our sponsor -- who wants
you to know the economy is *just fine*. Your income
isn't in jeopardy. Relax. Have an iPod. Have a dinner
out. Have a new car. Have the new Bella Swan Barbie..."

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Sep 26, 2008, 1:40:30 PM9/26/08
On Sep 26, 1:18 pm, nickelshrink <nickelshr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "And now a word from our sponsor -- who wants
> you to know the economy is *just fine*.  Your income
> isn't in jeopardy.  Relax. Have an iPod. Have a dinner
> out. Have a new car. Have the new Bella Swan Barbie..."

Sorry, I'm waiting for the Bella Abzug Barbie...

Detox

Sep 26, 2008, 2:15:54 PM9/26/08
On Sep 26, 1:18 pm, nickelshrink <nickelshr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dann wrote:
> > On 25 Sep 2008, nickelshrink said the following in news:6k2akoF5q70bU2
> > @mid.individual.net.

> >> Oh, my guess would be, last time
> >> Mattel, Pfizer, Century 21, Olive Garden, Mitchum,
> >> Kimberly-Clark, Dreamworks, Sony, Sears, iPod, GM,
> >> La-Z-Boy, Snapper, or ShamWow sent them a check?
>
> > ?????
>
> "And now a word from our sponsor -- who wants
> you to know the economy is *just fine*.  Your income
> isn't in jeopardy.  Relax. Have an iPod. Have a dinner
> out. Have a new car. Have the new Bella Swan Barbie..."

Ah. The fabulist interpretation.

Unfotunately, that flies in the face of the last couple of years of
economic reporting where it was bad news first, last, only, and
always. Where the presence of one quarter of economic contraction was
extrapolated into a full blown recession by reporters that appeared,
IMO, to be waiting on baited breath for the real thing to come along
so as to have yet another reason to criticize Mr. Bush.

The above should be taken to indicate that the economy is just fine.
Just that reporting on the economy has been skewed from reality in a
negative manner.

--
Regards,
Dann

Rob Wynne

Sep 26, 2008, 2:49:05 PM9/26/08
Detox <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> The above should be taken to indicate that the economy is just fine.
> Just that reporting on the economy has been skewed from reality in a
> negative manner.

I will not buy this reality. It is scratched.

nickelshrink

Sep 26, 2008, 3:04:50 PM9/26/08
Detox wrote:

> The above should [ ] be taken to indicate that the economy is just fine.

Can i assume that there was supposed to be a
"not" in there?

Detox

Sep 26, 2008, 3:16:32 PM9/26/08
On Sep 26, 3:04 pm, nickelshrink <nickelshr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Detox wrote:
> > The above should  [ ]  be taken to indicate that the economy is just fine.
>
> Can i assume that there was supposed to be a
> "not"  in there?

Jeez. Yes. Please.

--
Regards,
Dann

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Sep 26, 2008, 6:17:20 PM9/26/08

Oop, it was just Darius Rucker ("Hootie") singing, and the ad was
specifically for the Tendercrisp Chicken Cheddar Ranch; here it is . .
.:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1tLzUlK4EI>

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Mike Beede

Sep 26, 2008, 9:31:08 PM9/26/08
In article
<cfe2b386-1390-4a30...@d77g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
Detox <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Unfotunately, that flies in the face of the last couple of years of
> economic reporting where it was bad news first, last, only, and
> always. Where the presence of one quarter of economic contraction was
> extrapolated into a full blown recession by reporters that appeared,
> IMO, to be waiting on baited breath for the real thing to come along
> so as to have yet another reason to criticize Mr. Bush.
>
> The above should be taken to indicate that the economy is just fine.
> Just that reporting on the economy has been skewed from reality in a
> negative manner.

Yeah, all the people I know that are experiencing rising medical,
education, gas, housing and etc. costs are just fine--they're just
whiners being paid off by the liberal media.

Mike Beede

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 26, 2008, 11:25:49 PM9/26/08
In article <beede-C9D412....@news.visi.com>,

And the media have been reporting that. Perhaps over-reporting it,
but that's an opinion, and not the point of my problem with the
strip setup. Having the news anchors doing the economic
cheerleading rather than some politician or banker just doesn't
work.

Jym Dyer

Sep 27, 2008, 3:27:18 PM9/27/08
=v= But not nearly as lame as the 27-Sep-2008 strip:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/sixchix.asp?date=20080927

<_Jym_>

Mike Beede

Sep 27, 2008, 4:29:27 PM9/27/08
In article <1JhDk.44422$De7....@bignews7.bellsouth.net>,

t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:

> And the media have been reporting that. Perhaps over-reporting it,
> but that's an opinion, and not the point of my problem with the
> strip setup. Having the news anchors doing the economic
> cheerleading rather than some politician or banker just doesn't
> work.

Oh I agree that the strip didn't make sense. I was just disputing
the "economy is fine it's just that darn Liberal Media" position.

Mike Beede

Dann

Sep 27, 2008, 6:31:18 PM9/27/08
On 27 Sep 2008, Mike Beede said the following in news:beede-
C6EBF2.152...@news.visi.com.

"The above should not be taken to indicate that the economy is just
fine."

Corrected...thanks to Ruth for pointing out the omission up thread. I
swear the 'not' was in there when I hit the 'send' button.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 27, 2008, 6:42:01 PM9/27/08
In article <Jym.27Sep20...@econet.org>,

Run guy, run!

Mike Beede

Sep 27, 2008, 9:51:28 PM9/27/08
In article <Xns9B26BC85FD961d...@74.209.136.93>,
Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Oh I agree that the strip didn't make sense. I was just disputing
> > the "economy is fine it's just that darn Liberal Media" position.
> >
> > Mike Beede
>
> "The above should not be taken to indicate that the economy is just
> fine."
>
> Corrected...thanks to Ruth for pointing out the omission up thread. I
> swear the 'not' was in there when I hit the 'send' button.

It was probably removed by the liberal internet. After all,
it's a medium, isn't it?

Mike Beede

Dann

Sep 28, 2008, 8:51:25 AM9/28/08
On 27 Sep 2008, Mike Beede said the following in news:beede-
175C3D.205...@news.visi.com.

I figured the internet was more a libertarian medium. But maybe Dan
Rather is running things now. Who knew!!

Jym Dyer

Sep 28, 2008, 6:02:18 PM9/28/08
>> It was probably removed by the liberal internet. After
>> all, it's a medium, isn't it?
> I figured the internet was more a libertarian medium.
> But maybe Dan Rather is running things now. Who knew!!

=v= The Internet got its patina of Libertoonianism back
in the Reagan years. Employees of the tech industry,
propped up by SDI military contracts, hopped onto the
government-sponsored Internet to treat us all to their
simplistic rhetoric about unregulated free markets.
<_Jym_>

aemeijers

Sep 28, 2008, 6:20:59 PM9/28/08
I've got no stats to back it up, but in that pre-GUI era, IIRC, most
Usenet posters came from .edu accounts, not .com or .mil. Civilians were
still largely stuck in the BBS/Fidonet world, if they were on line at
all. Somewhere, I still have a couple of 5.25 disks where I harvested
the message traffic about the Morris worm in realtime, thinking it might
be historic some day. Suppose I oughta find those, and see if they are
still readable, assuming my one remaining 5.25 drive still works, of course.

Anybody else remember bang-path addresses?

--
aem sends...

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 28, 2008, 8:16:31 PM9/28/08
In article <frTDk.244966$102....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

Oh yeah. They were great when we were using UUCP mail at USC, but after
that I got a job, and were were all about TCP/IP -- except for this one set
of systems we had to deploy to the boonies with only a modem, and I had to
do sendmail CFs to make everything *look* like RFC822, but use bang paths
internally for those systems only..

Arrgh!

J.D. Baldwin

Sep 28, 2008, 10:51:13 PM9/28/08

In the previous article, Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
> >Anybody else remember bang-path addresses?
>
> Oh yeah. They were great when we were using UUCP mail at USC, but
> after that I got a job, and were were all about TCP/IP -- except for
> this one set of systems we had to deploy to the boonies with only a
> modem, and I had to do sendmail CFs to make everything *look* like
> RFC822, but use bang paths internally for those systems only..

I certainly remember the bang-path, and for that matter, that syntax
still has an important use in this very medium in which we are
jabbering right now.

I watched Thursday night's "The Office" with my wife and son, and when
Jim printed out the ASCII sketch of Dwight, I paused the DVR playback
to mention the ASCII Playboy centerfolds nerds used to pass around in
the 1970s. Normally, they tolerate these little historical
digressions with equanimity, but this time they both looked at me as
if I were insane.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer