weird chron.com error

Peter B. Steiger

Aug 13, 2008, 5:14:46 PM8/13/08
Anybody else getting this?

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an
invalid or unsupported form of compression

I got that when I went to their main comics menu at
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComics.mpl

... googling the error says that I should disable caching in my Firefox
config screen, which I did, and the error went away. But when I click on
any particular comic title, I get that same error. What up wid dat?

Using FireFox 3.01 on Linux, if that makes a difference.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Jim Lahue

Aug 13, 2008, 7:08:38 PM8/13/08
Peter B. Steiger wrote:

> Anybody else getting this?
>
> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an
> invalid or unsupported form of compression
>
> I got that when I went to their main comics menu at
> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComics.mpl
>
> ... googling the error says that I should disable caching in my Firefox
> config screen, which I did, and the error went away. But when I click on
> any particular comic title, I get that same error. What up wid dat?
>
> Using FireFox 3.01 on Linux, if that makes a difference.

Worked ok for me. Using Firefox 3.01 on Win XP (with NoScript blocking
scripts on the site).

Jim Lahue

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 13, 2008, 8:27:18 PM8/13/08
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 17:14:46 -0400, "Peter B. Steiger"
<see...@for.email.address> wrote:

>Anybody else getting this?
>
>The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an
>invalid or unsupported form of compression
>
>I got that when I went to their main comics menu at
>http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComics.mpl
>
>... googling the error says that I should disable caching in my Firefox
>config screen, which I did, and the error went away. But when I click on
>any particular comic title, I get that same error. What up wid dat?
>
>Using FireFox 3.01 on Linux, if that makes a difference.

That's happened quite a few times on FF 3.01 too, though it's
sporadic; along with the constant crashes, which I'm sure will soon be
addressed . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

nancy13g

Aug 13, 2008, 11:31:16 PM8/13/08
On Aug 13, 5:14 pm, "Peter B. Steiger" <see....@for.email.address>
wrote:

> Anybody else getting this?
>
> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an
> invalid or unsupported form of compression
>
> I got that when I went to their main comics menu athttp://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComics.mpl

> ... googling the error says that I should disable caching in my Firefox
> config screen, which I did, and the error went away.  But when I click on
> any particular comic title, I get that same error.  What up wid dat?
>
> Using FireFox 3.01 on Linux, if that makes a difference.

It's been happening to me, too, over the past few days. (FF 3.0.1). I
even opened up *gag* IE to see if it worked there, but got only a
blank white screen where the comic should have been.

It seems to be one of those intermittent "it's still too early in the
morning in Houston for anybody to be fixing things" problems that the
Chron has, though, because when I go back to check at around lunchtime
(Eastern), all the strips are usually working properly.

satan'slittlesister

Aug 14, 2008, 2:41:55 PM8/14/08
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 20:31:16 -0700 (PDT), nancy13g
<nanc...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an
>> invalid or unsupported form of compression

>It's been happening to me, too, over the past few days. (FF 3.0.1). I

>even opened up *gag* IE to see if it worked there, but got only a
>blank white screen where the comic should have been.

The Chron has some problems with their caching (among other things).
Requesting the same page again from a single IP address will give you
an identical response -- regardless of switching browsers, the
presence of cache-control headers, or sometimes, cookies (kinda
fun/funny when visiting from a corporate net, see other people's
personalized pages).

If you're a real geek... try requesting one of the comics pages with
no User-Agent header, or merely an unusual one. What's the magic
character?

Also, http://thedailywtf.com/Comments/Im-Dave,-Oh-Yeah!.aspx

sls

Jym Dyer

Aug 15, 2008, 11:49:16 AM8/15/08
> Using FireFox 3.01 on Linux, if that makes a difference.

=v= I'm getting it in FireFox, Safari, and MSIE on Linux,
MacOS, and Windoze (for every combination of those that
exists). Something is definitely screwed up at their end.
<_Jym_>