Previewing this weekend's Reuben Awards

D.D.Degg

May 22, 2009, 7:50:10 AM5/22/09
The L.A.Times has an article about
the life and hard times of cartoonists these days.
The article also prints this coming Sunday's
"La Cucaracha" comic which is about the
Reuben get-together this weekend in L.A.
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-comic-strips22-2009may22,0,1154522.story

D.D.Degg

Bobcat

May 22, 2009, 12:31:05 PM5/22/09
> Reuben get-together this weekend in L.A.http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-comic-strips22-2009ma...
> D.D.Degg

Sounds like the recession has hit cartoonists as well as other folk.

D.D.Degg

May 22, 2009, 9:49:28 PM5/22/09
Happier thoughts from Tom Richmond.

He arrived in L.A. and visited Mel Lazarus.
http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/2009/05/22/mells-piano/

Tom's NCS caricatures.
http://www.tomrichmond.com/blog/2009/04/27/2009-ncs-reuben-art/

D.D.Degg

Antonio E. Gonzalez

May 23, 2009, 12:35:26 AM5/23/09

One part I found rather interesting:

"But like their newspapers, cartoonists are finding other ways to
distribute their content. Though cartooning online may still be in its
infancy, some cartoonists have found a way to generate enough revenue
to make a living at it.

Jeph Jacques, 28, operates QuestionableContent.net, an online comic
strip. The first strip appeared in August 2003; by the next year,
Jacques was able to support himself and his wife from the revenue
generated from merchandise and ad space sold on the website.

"There seems to be, among some of the older, more established
cartoonists, this sense of incredulity that people can make a living
doing comics online," Jacques said. "Online comics have the advantage.
We're getting a more diverse crowd; a younger crowd. And word of mouth
is a lot quicker.""

--

- ReFlex76

D.D.Degg

May 23, 2009, 7:17:48 AM5/23/09
Norm (Retail/Gill) Feuti blogs about his trip to the Reubens
http://normfeuti.wordpress.com/2009/05/22/ncs-reuben-awards-weekend-day-1/

Richard (Cul de Sac) Thompson blogs about not going to the Reubens
http://richardspooralmanac.blogspot.com/2009/05/reuben-weekend.html

D.D.Degg

D.D.Degg

May 24, 2009, 2:34:17 PM5/24/09
It seems a bit more than serendipity that there
were an inordinate amount of comic strips that
featured crossovers. I blame it on Reuben Weekend.

Obvious for this weekend was Saturday's Non Sequitur
http://wpcomics.washingtonpost.com/client/wpc/nq/2009/05/23/

But then there were all those Saturday crossovers:
Ben and Snoopy
http://comics.com/ben/2009-05-23/

Annie and "Daddy" appearing in Moderately Confused
http://comics.com/moderately_confused/2009-05-23/

A Peanuts reference in The Knight Life
http://comics.com/the_knight_life/2009-05-23/

Fred Flintsone and Thor of B.C. in the Bizarro world
http://www.seattlepi.com/fun/Bizarro.asp?date=20090523

The Family Circus in Off The Mark
http://comics.com/off_the_mark/2009-05-23/

Then Parisi decided to put another eight
comic characters in his Sunday panel
http://comics.com/off_the_mark/2009-05-24/

Along with the Sunday La Cucaracha that started off this thread
http://news.yahoo.com/comics/uclickcomics/20090524/cx_lc_uc/lc20090524

Synchronicity or a result of Reuben Weekend?

D.D.Degg

Bill Harris

May 26, 2009, 12:01:33 PM5/26/09
I liked WIley's take on how the Reuben's should be recieved:

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2009/5/23&name=Non_Sequitur

(I also liked the daily special.)