9CWL- Get you bets in!

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Dec 11, 2008, 8:16:18 AM12/11/08
http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/12/11&name=9_Chickweed_Lane

OK, any guesses what happened? I'm sure Edda did something to
disqualify Anos, but I can't figure out what.

Carl Fink

Dec 11, 2008, 8:18:50 AM12/11/08

I think it involves contact with parts of the body that are never shown in a
newspaper comic. There may be a "morals" clause in the agreement
contestants sign.
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

Stephen Graham

Dec 11, 2008, 12:35:45 PM12/11/08
Carl Fink wrote:
> On 2008-12-11, Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/12/11&name=9_Chickweed_Lane
>>
>> OK, any guesses what happened? I'm sure Edda did something to
>> disqualify Anos, but I can't figure out what.
>
> I think it involves contact with parts of the body that are never shown in a
> newspaper comic. There may be a "morals" clause in the agreement
> contestants sign.

I'd bet that they neglected to officially change the accompanist to Edda
and are thus disqualified.

Joseph Nebus

Dec 11, 2008, 3:52:14 PM12/11/08
Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> writes:

That'd be the first really plausible thing to happen in the
storyline since the hot air ballooning peepers put them on worldwide
Belgian television.

And once again my day has brought me to write a sentence I
could never have expected needing when I woke.

--
Joseph Nebus

aemeijers

Dec 11, 2008, 5:30:43 PM12/11/08
Carl Fink wrote:
> On 2008-12-11, Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/12/11&name=9_Chickweed_Lane
>>
>> OK, any guesses what happened? I'm sure Edda did something to
>> disqualify Anos, but I can't figure out what.
>
> I think it involves contact with parts of the body that are never shown in a
> newspaper comic. There may be a "morals" clause in the agreement
> contestants sign.

Wasn't the initial contest entry in Isobel's name, with Amos as the
accompanist? Did the entry ever get updated? Mebbe you can't get into
the contest unless you have a musical resume, and Edda, although
talented, was undocumented? Any of you music geeks on here (and I know
you are legion) know how these things work? I sure don't.

--
aem sends...

Paul Ciszek

Dec 11, 2008, 9:59:29 PM12/11/08

In article <nwg0l.69693$_Y1.1...@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,

I'm pretty sure that Amos was always the competitor.

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 12, 2008, 10:56:35 AM12/12/08
On 11 Dec 2008 15:52:14 -0500, nebusj-@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:

>Stephen Graham <gra...@speakeasy.net> writes:
>
>>Carl Fink wrote:

>>> I think it involves contact with parts of the body that are never shown in a
>>> newspaper comic. There may be a "morals" clause in the agreement
>>> contestants sign.
>
>>I'd bet that they neglected to officially change the accompanist to Edda
>>and are thus disqualified.
>
> That'd be the first really plausible thing to happen in the
>storyline since the hot air ballooning peepers put them on worldwide
>Belgian television.

Ummm, satellite television feeds aren't plausible?

> And once again my day has brought me to write a sentence I
>could never have expected needing when I woke.

It happens . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Dann

Dec 12, 2008, 10:31:29 PM12/12/08
On 12 Dec 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez said the following in

> Ummm, satellite television feeds aren't plausible?

Sure, but I can't think of a good reason for a Belgian satellite TV feed to
have so many American viewers.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 13, 2008, 12:23:56 AM12/13/08
On 13 Dec 2008 03:31:29 GMT, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 12 Dec 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez said the following in
>
>> Ummm, satellite television feeds aren't plausible?
>
>Sure, but I can't think of a good reason for a Belgian satellite TV feed to
>have so many American viewers.

Well, there's a certain competition said American viewers are
specifically looking for . . .

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Dec 13, 2008, 12:42:16 AM12/13/08
In article <Xns9B72E5669F767d...@74.209.136.95>,

Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On 12 Dec 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez said the following in
>
>> Ummm, satellite television feeds aren't plausible?
>
>Sure, but I can't think of a good reason for a Belgian satellite TV feed to
>have so many American viewers.
>
>--

I'm still missing the point, I think. Regardless of how embarassing the
TV feed was, how does it disqualify Amos? I mean, it's *Europe*, for crying
out loud.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Paul Ciszek

Dec 13, 2008, 2:14:29 AM12/13/08

In article <YWH0l.7167$M01...@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,

Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>In article <Xns9B72E5669F767d...@74.209.136.95>,
>Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>On 12 Dec 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez said the following in
>>
>>> Ummm, satellite television feeds aren't plausible?
>>
>>Sure, but I can't think of a good reason for a Belgian satellite TV feed to
>>have so many American viewers.
>
>I'm still missing the point, I think. Regardless of how embarassing the
>TV feed was, how does it disqualify Amos? I mean, it's *Europe*, for crying
>out loud.

Amen. Outside of the US and the Islamic world, who objects to sex?

O fan

Dec 13, 2008, 8:57:37 AM12/13/08
On Dec 11, 8:59 pm, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that Amos was always the competitor.

Yeah. That wouldn't be it. Its really the "soloist" that is the focus
of most competitions. I have had two different times where my
accompanist had to be replaced at the last moment. Once my
accompanist didn't think I would make the next round, got drunk the
night before and failed to show. I had to grab someone else's
accompanist and go in an sing for the contest jury. The second time,
my accompanist got sick and couldn't go.      |And all of the other
musical contests that I have seen have similar rules. Mind you, you
are usually dead if you don't have your accompanist. Coordination is
too important.

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Dec 13, 2008, 9:29:23 AM12/13/08
On Dec 13, 8:57 am, O fan <dcraven...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah. That wouldn't be it.  Its really the "soloist" that is the focus
> of most competitions. I have had two different times where my
> accompanist had to be replaced at the last moment.  Once my
> accompanist didn't think I would make the next round, got drunk the
> night before and failed to show.  I had to grab someone else's
> accompanist and go in an sing for the contest jury.  The second time,
> my accompanist got sick and couldn't go.      |And all of the other
> musical contests that I have seen have similar rules.  Mind you, you
> are usually dead if you don't have your accompanist.  Coordination is
> too important.

Which reminds me of the story of the cellist who was caught in a
flood. Fortunately, he was able to cling to his instrument and float
to safety. His wife accompanied him on the piano.

Paul Ciszek

Dec 13, 2008, 10:22:03 AM12/13/08

In article <ghvncl$7iv$1...@reader1.panix.com>,

Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

>In article <YWH0l.7167$M01...@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
>Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>>In article <Xns9B72E5669F767d...@74.209.136.95>,
>>Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>>On 12 Dec 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez said the following in

>>>Sure, but I can't think of a good reason for a Belgian satellite TV feed to
>>>have so many American viewers.
>>
>>I'm still missing the point, I think. Regardless of how embarassing the
>>TV feed was, how does it disqualify Amos? I mean, it's *Europe*, for crying
>>out loud.
>
>Amen. Outside of the US and the Islamic world, who objects to sex?

Besides which, I should have added, Amos and Edda had sex *in private*.
The TV crew is guilty of a crime, not them.

--
Please reply to: | "One of the hardest parts of my job is to
pciszek at panix dot com | connect Iraq to the War on Terror."

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 14, 2008, 5:07:54 AM12/14/08
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 07:14:29 +0000 (UTC), nos...@nospam.com (Paul
Ciszek) wrote:

>In article <YWH0l.7167$M01...@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
>Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:
>>In article <Xns9B72E5669F767d...@74.209.136.95>,
>>Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>>On 12 Dec 2008, Antonio E. Gonzalez said the following in

>>>Sure, but I can't think of a good reason for a Belgian satellite TV feed to
>>>have so many American viewers.
>>
>>I'm still missing the point, I think. Regardless of how embarassing the
>>TV feed was, how does it disqualify Amos? I mean, it's *Europe*, for crying
>>out loud.
>
>Amen. Outside of the US and the Islamic world, who objects to sex?

As explained today (12-13), that seems to be problem; it was feared
the jury was biased by the tape, not becuase they object, but because
they *liked* it too much! That's right, they might have passed
Amos/Edda not becuase of their performance on stage, but their
performance on screen!

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 14, 2008, 5:09:36 AM12/14/08
On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:22:03 +0000 (UTC), nos...@nospam.com (Paul
Ciszek) wrote:

>In article <ghvncl$7iv$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
>Paul Ciszek <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>In article <YWH0l.7167$M01...@bignews3.bellsouth.net>,
>>Ted Nolan <tednolan> <tednolan> wrote:

>>>I'm still missing the point, I think. Regardless of how embarassing the
>>>TV feed was, how does it disqualify Amos? I mean, it's *Europe*, for crying
>>>out loud.
>>
>>Amen. Outside of the US and the Islamic world, who objects to sex?
>
>Besides which, I should have added, Amos and Edda had sex *in private*.
>The TV crew is guilty of a crime, not them.

Ummm, the did it in front of a big, wide-open window; not
deliberately, but still far from private . . .

Joseph Nebus

Dec 14, 2008, 1:55:08 PM12/14/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> writes:

>On 11 Dec 2008 15:52:14 -0500, nebusj-@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote:

>> That'd be the first really plausible thing to happen in the
>>storyline since the hot air ballooning peepers put them on worldwide
>>Belgian television.

> Ummm, satellite television feeds aren't plausible?

I accept satellite television feeds as supremely plausible.
And I accept that someone in a hot air balloon might notice two people
making out, and that if he had a camera with him he might start to
film it even though the camera's out in the sunlight and Amos and Edda
are in the darker indoors.

That Belgium's Funniest Videos is so desperate for content that
this would be aired within the few days that, in-universe, Amos and Edda
have *been* there --- considering the American version is still
routinely airing videos with dates from the first Bush administration
stamped on them --- and would be so eager to show this video that they
neither obscure the faces of the people who were, after all, in private,
nor obtain the clearances from the participants to be shown, is the
unbelievable thing.

They weren't at a fast-breaking news event; they weren't
celebrities who can reasonable expect to appear on television whenever
they dangle a baby over a hotel balcony; they weren't doing anything
more than marginally worth being on television at all, and not as
presented.

Also I don't get the logic of this `second jury' that Amos
is insisting on.

--
Joseph Nebus

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Dec 14, 2008, 11:00:06 PM12/14/08
In article <nebusj.1...@vcmr-86.server.rpi.edu>,

I still don't get the logic of the claim of bias against the first jury.
These aren't "blind auditions" for an orchestra seat. Presumably all the
contestants have a history and people who are rooting for them. There's
probably a Belgian favorite with supporters in the audience anyway.