Dang Comics.com

1 view

Parallax

Oct 31, 2008, 6:21:06 PM10/31/08
I knew a revamp was coming, but I was hoping it wouldn't mean a change
in their graphic naming system. I had a page that displayed all my
strips on one page automatically, now I have to work on v.2.

Charles Brubaker

Nov 1, 2008, 12:59:20 AM11/1/08

Whoa, pretty clunky. Gonna take a while to get used to this.

I like the archives, though. I finally have the start and end dates
for 'Meg!' and "Fat Cats"

AND I finally read the Jump Start storyline where Joe got shot (only
to be saved by the bullet-proof vest)

Charles Brubaker

Nov 1, 2008, 1:42:32 AM11/1/08

Well, that was short. It's back to the old design.

Oh well, I managed to get those infos before it went away again.

lee

Nov 1, 2008, 1:52:54 AM11/1/08

I see the new design. While I am disappointed that my library of
favorite past strips is gone, I am pleased that they have the strips
large enough to read!

racs...@gmail.com

Nov 1, 2008, 7:19:10 AM11/1/08
It's nearly 7:30 in the morning and they're still showing yesterday's
strips. I hope that's a glitch and not part of their cunning plan.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

George W Harris

Nov 1, 2008, 9:35:20 AM11/1/08
I tried to register this morning, and my
confirmation link is 404.
--
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

Paul

Nov 1, 2008, 9:47:50 AM11/1/08
"pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racs...@gmail.com> wrote in news:0e47f3a6-
2e64-4486-bbc...@t39g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

> It's nearly 7:30 in the morning and they're still showing yesterday's
> strips. I hope that's a glitch and not part of their cunning plan.

Same at 0945 EDT.

--
Paul

Carl Fink

Nov 1, 2008, 10:58:27 AM11/1/08
On 2008-11-01, George W Harris <gha...@mundsprung.com> wrote:
> I tried to register this morning, and my
> confirmation link is 404.

I registered twice this morning. I can't log on, and the site claims that
my email address--to which they just sent a confirmation message--is not
registered.

Wow, they're incompetent. My day job is software and web service design and
support, and my tiny company would be humiliated to release a new service
this terribly flawed.
--
Carl Fink nitpi...@nitpicking.com

Stupid mistakes you can correct!

J.D. Baldwin

Nov 1, 2008, 11:20:26 AM11/1/08

In the previous article, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
> Wow, they're incompetent. My day job is software and web service
> design and support, and my tiny company would be humiliated to
> release a new service this terribly flawed.

There are literally millions of high-school students better qualified
to deliver web content reliably and robustly than comics.com IT staff.
Appalling.
\ / bal...@panix.com|to deny under oath that I ever made it.-T. Lehrer

J.D. Baldwin

Nov 1, 2008, 11:23:05 AM11/1/08

In the previous article, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
> Wow, they're incompetent.

Just after posting my previous snark, I clicked their "Join now" link,
and got a 404 page. This isn't mere incompetence, this is ... I'm not
sure what this is, but it's not adequately described by the word
"incompetence."

Tove Momerathsson

Nov 1, 2008, 11:24:47 AM11/1/08
to ne...@baldwin.users.panix.com
J.D. Baldwin wrote:
> In the previous article, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
>> Wow, they're incompetent. My day job is software and web service
>> design and support, and my tiny company would be humiliated to
>> release a new service this terribly flawed.
>
> There are literally millions of high-school students better qualified
> to deliver web content reliably and robustly than comics.com IT staff.
> Appalling.

As far as I can tell, you can't see anything _without_ registering.

So one cannot but wonder what they're going to do with all the email
addresses they're collecting. Not that they would ever sell them...

I would add to the comments on comics.com competency (or lack thereof),
but my thesauri have run shuddering into the dark corners of the room.

Tove

Paul Ciszek

Nov 1, 2008, 11:36:35 AM11/1/08

In article <gehs8p$i79$7...@reader1.panix.com>,

J.D. Baldwin <ne...@baldwin.users.panix.com> wrote:

>In the previous article, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
>> Wow, they're incompetent.
>
>Just after posting my previous snark, I clicked their "Join now" link,
>and got a 404 page. This isn't mere incompetence, this is ... I'm not
>sure what this is, but it's not adequately described by the word
>"incompetence."

See the .sig quote.

--
Please reply to: | "Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is
pciszek at panix dot com | indistinguishable from malice."

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Nov 1, 2008, 12:36:58 PM11/1/08
On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:21:06 GMT, Parallax <Parallax-G@???????.com>
wrote:

>I knew a revamp was coming, but I was hoping it wouldn't mean a change
>in their graphic naming system. I had a page that displayed all my
>strips on one page automatically, now I have to work on v.2.

Too . . . much . . . Flash!

Seriously, it seems these guys didn't hear of KISS (Keep It Simple
Stupid); the ulitmate sign of this is the fact that just opening the
site keeps pushing my browser to the brink of crashing; I can see this
design eventually working, but a major overhaul had better be in order
. . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Tove Momerathsson

Nov 1, 2008, 2:49:04 PM11/1/08
Antonio E. Gonzalez wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2008 22:21:06 GMT, Parallax <Parallax-G@???????.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I knew a revamp was coming, but I was hoping it wouldn't mean a change
>> in their graphic naming system. I had a page that displayed all my
>> strips on one page automatically, now I have to work on v.2.
>
> Too . . . much . . . Flash!
>
> Seriously, it seems these guys didn't hear of KISS (Keep It Simple
> Stupid); the ulitmate sign of this is the fact that just opening the
> site keeps pushing my browser to the brink of crashing; I can see this
> design eventually working, but a major overhaul had better be in order
> . . .

I used to think the site at <http://www.timesunion.com/comics/> was the
height (depth?) of stupidity, but the new comics.com site has got to be
a record for the Bells and Whistles category. Not to mention Look How
Clever We Are.

If it ain't broke, don't freakin' fix it, ok?

Tove

Jim Ellwanger

Nov 1, 2008, 6:10:47 PM11/1/08
In article
<9250198b-3a9a-4c85...@d42g2000prb.googlegroups.com>,
lee <Lee.K...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While I am disappointed that my library of favorite past strips is
> gone, I am pleased that they have the strips large enough to read!

Unfortunately, on the site, they've switched from the 1960 "Peanuts"
reruns to the 1995 "Peanuts" reruns.

--
Jim Ellwanger <use...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv> welcomes you daily.

Mike Marshall

Nov 1, 2008, 8:11:11 PM11/1/08
I read Big Nate there. Starting today, I read Big Nate on the Yahoo
comics page. Problem solved.

-Mike

Default User

Nov 2, 2008, 1:10:50 AM11/2/08
Paul Ciszek wrote:

> In article <gehs8p$i79$7...@reader1.panix.com>,
> J.D. Baldwin <ne...@baldwin.users.panix.com> wrote:
> >
> >In the previous article, Carl Fink <ca...@panix.com> wrote:
> >> Wow, they're incompetent.
> >
> > Just after posting my previous snark, I clicked their "Join now"
> > link, and got a 404 page. This isn't mere incompetence, this is
> > ... I'm not sure what this is, but it's not adequately described by
> > the word "incompetence."
>
> See the .sig quote.

See also "Google Groups".

Brian

won't shut up.

racs...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2008, 7:10:21 AM11/2/08
Comics.com worked fine for me this morning.

It's a good deal more ornate that I like, but the comics were all
there. The "remember me" button on sign in doesn't seem to work, but I
can remember me anyway.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

J.D. Baldwin

Nov 2, 2008, 9:47:30 AM11/2/08

In the previous article, pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org <racs...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Comics.com worked fine for me this morning.
>
> It's a good deal more ornate that I like, but the comics were all
> there. The "remember me" button on sign in doesn't seem to work, but I
> can remember me anyway.

I see no difference whatever, though all I've visited so far are
"Frazz" (brilliant) and "Brevity" (amusing).

Welmoed

Nov 2, 2008, 10:43:08 AM11/2/08
wrote:

>I knew a revamp was coming, but I was hoping it wouldn't mean a change

>in their graphic naming system. I had a page that displayed all my
>strips on one page automatically, now I have to work on v.2.

This new layout has also messed up the feed to iGoogle, which I really
like for reading my daily comics. This morning I couldn't get 9CWL to
load at all, and Luann only came up after a very sluggish load.

Yes, the archives are nice but...

--Welmoed

J.D. Baldwin

Nov 2, 2008, 11:15:56 AM11/2/08

I wrote:
> > It's a good deal more ornate that I like, but the comics were all
> > there. The "remember me" button on sign in doesn't seem to work, but I
> > can remember me anyway.
>
> I see no difference whatever, though all I've visited so far are
> "Frazz" (brilliant) and "Brevity" (amusing).

Ohhhhhh ... *there* it is, now. Horrible. Far worse than I even imagined,
and what I imagined was pretty damn bad.

Carl Fink

Nov 2, 2008, 12:22:24 PM11/2/08
Once I managed to get everything going, the RSS feed seems to work OK. Man,
those pages are overly decorated, but they do seem to be somewhat
functional.

What idiot at United Media decided that the weekend was the time to roll out
the new system, or decided to roll it out for every customer at once?

Paul Ciszek

Nov 2, 2008, 1:52:47 PM11/2/08

In article <gekjns$965$4...@reader1.panix.com>,

J.D. Baldwin <ne...@baldwin.users.panix.com> wrote:

>I wrote:
>> > It's a good deal more ornate that I like, but the comics were all
>> > there. The "remember me" button on sign in doesn't seem to work, but I
>> > can remember me anyway.
>>
>> I see no difference whatever, though all I've visited so far are
>> "Frazz" (brilliant) and "Brevity" (amusing).
>
>Ohhhhhh ... *there* it is, now. Horrible. Far worse than I even imagined,
>and what I imagined was pretty damn bad.

I can't get it to display any "Jane's WOrld" more recent than September
26. The months of October and November don't exist on that calendar.

--
Please reply to: | "The anti-regulation business ethos is based on
pciszek at panix dot com | the charmingly naive notion that people will not

Mark Jackson

Nov 2, 2008, 3:15:44 PM11/2/08
Paul Ciszek wrote:
> In article <gekjns$965$4...@reader1.panix.com>,
> J.D. Baldwin <ne...@baldwin.users.panix.com> wrote:
>>> I see no difference whatever, though all I've visited so far are
>>> "Frazz" (brilliant) and "Brevity" (amusing).
>> Ohhhhhh ... *there* it is, now. Horrible. Far worse than I even imagined,
>> and what I imagined was pretty damn bad.
>
> I can't get it to display any "Jane's WOrld" more recent than September
> 26. The months of October and November don't exist on that calendar.

The 9CL back door leads to
http://chickweed.com/comics/janesworld/index.html, which is currently
showing the comic of October 31. Presumably the new-look comics.com
site will catch up eventually.

I do not believe in conspiracy theories, though
I do know that there is a secret international
organization that invents them. - Mike Lawrence

sanford sklansky

Nov 2, 2008, 7:11:48 PM11/2/08

"pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org" <racs...@gmail.com> wrote in message

I use Evan Reynolds comic reader. The other day it wouldn't bring me to the
new comics page. It didn't display comic.com pages yesterday, but when I
clicked on the link it brought be to the old page. I use Belfry to read
some comics that the Renolds reader won't bring up, but are comic.com
comics. Just now it took me to the new page, but I had an error of sorts.
When I clicked on it again it brought me to the old comics.com. Very weird.
Just what are they doing?

Chris Brown

Nov 5, 2008, 1:30:37 PM11/5/08

"Carl Fink" <ca...@panix.com> wrote in message

> On 2008-11-01, George W Harris <gha...@mundsprung.com> wrote:

> Wow, they're incompetent. My day job is software and web service design
> and
> support, and my tiny company would be humiliated to release a new service
> this terribly flawed.

Well, clearly that's why it's so tiny. Big companies and governments are
reliably shameless about releasing online projects that don't work properly.

Chris
--
"It's always hard meeting your heroes. Especially when they punch you in the
face."

http://thehitparade.blogspot.com

More of my blathering is available at
http://faynights.users.btopenworld.com

aemeijers

Nov 5, 2008, 7:22:04 PM11/5/08
Chris Brown wrote:
> "Carl Fink" <ca...@panix.com> wrote in message
>> On 2008-11-01, George W Harris <gha...@mundsprung.com> wrote:
>
>> Wow, they're incompetent. My day job is software and web service design
>> and
>> support, and my tiny company would be humiliated to release a new service
>> this terribly flawed.
>
> Well, clearly that's why it's so tiny. Big companies and governments are
> reliably shameless about releasing online projects that don't work properly.
>
> Chris
After a week away from connectivity and even (mostly) from dead-tree
papers, I was jonesing bad for my comics, and tried to play catchup last
night. I find their new site annoying, even more so than when the Other
Guys changed their site a few months back. I may have to sign up and
build a page, just to get away from the annoying floating boxes and
flashy toys and extra clicks to get where I want.

--
aem sends...

Jym Dyer

Nov 6, 2008, 4:49:15 AM11/6/08
> Unfortunately, on the [comics.com] site, they've switched

> from the 1960 "Peanuts" reruns to the 1995 "Peanuts" reruns.

=v= This is a good thing, because it means you can now get
*both* tracks of reruns online. The 1990s strips weren't
available online at all before:

http://www.comics.com/peanuts/

=v= Plus, you can still get the 1960s strips at the
_Houston_Chronicle_ site:

http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/buildcp.mpl?c=72&cpp=1

And also at Yahoo! a bit smaller and with a slight delay:

http://news.yahoo.com/comics/peanuts

<_Jym_>

P.S.: There's also the Japanese "history" site:

http://www.snoopy.co.jp/archives/history.html

tc...@lsa.umich.edu

Nov 9, 2008, 9:24:46 PM11/9/08
In article <Jym.06Nov20...@econet.org>,

Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote:
>=v= Plus, you can still get the 1960s strips at the
>_Houston_Chronicle_ site:
>http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/buildcp.mpl?c=72&cpp=1

Does the Houston Chronicle carry Sunday strips? I didn't see one there today.

>And also at Yahoo! a bit smaller and with a slight delay:
>http://news.yahoo.com/comics/peanuts

Aren't these the 1995 strips?
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will

Jym Dyer

Nov 13, 2008, 1:10:52 PM11/13/08
>> http://news.yahoo.com/comics/peanuts
> Aren't these the 1995 strips?

=v= More changes. Now we're back to only one track of reruns
again. Comics.com went through the following changes:

o Before September 15th it was the 1960s track of reruns.

o From September 15th through October 26th, they provided
the 1990s track of reruns, and colorized the dailies.

o On October 27th they stopped colorizing the dailies (yay!)
and were still running the 1990s strips.

o They started running 1980s strips rather than 1990s strips.

o On November 10, they switched to the 1960s strips.

Now all sources -- Comics.com, the _Houston_Chronicle_, and
Yahoo! -- are all running the 1960s strips.

=v= More exciting is the fact that they seem to have every strip
archived:

http://comics.com/peanuts/

The first strip is here:

http://comics.com/peanuts/1950-10-02