Doonesbury - 26 June 2008

1 view

Dann

Jun 26, 2008, 7:39:15 AM6/26/08
<http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/6/26
&name=Doonesbury>

I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take that
sort of shot at The Savior.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

LNER...@verizon.net

Jun 26, 2008, 9:39:14 AM6/26/08

> I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take that
> sort of shot at The Savior.

*But you'll notice that the strip ended with no one actually
challenging Alex's statement............

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jun 26, 2008, 5:16:02 PM6/26/08
On 26 Jun 2008 11:39:15 GMT, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:

><http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/6/26
>&name=Doonesbury>
>
>I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take that
>sort of shot at The Savior.

Pure nonsense! He's obviously JFK reborn . . .

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Robert

Jun 26, 2008, 8:11:16 PM6/26/08
On Jun 26, 4:39 am, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/6/26
> &name=Doonesbury>
>
> I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take that
> sort of shot at The Savior.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dann
>
> blogging athttp://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

> Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Where have you been for the past 38 years? Trudeau has taken shots at
every president and presidential hopeful, Republican and Democrat,
since Nixon and McGovern.

Dann

Jun 27, 2008, 6:30:19 AM6/27/08
On 26 Jun 2008, Robert said the following in

> On Jun 26, 4:39 am, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/6/26
>> &name=Doonesbury>
>>
>> I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take
>> that sort of shot at The Savior.
>>

> Where have you been for the past 38 years? Trudeau has taken shots at
> every president and presidential hopeful, Republican and Democrat,
> since Nixon and McGovern.

I was thinking he would wait for after the election before starting in on
Mr. Obama.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

LNER...@juno.com

Jun 27, 2008, 9:59:59 AM6/27/08

> >I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take that
> >sort of shot at The Savior.
>
> Pure nonsense! He's obviously JFK reborn . . .

*Sure. Remember what happened to JFK.

Better stick with that Jesus analogy.

Oh, wait..........

Len-L

Jun 27, 2008, 10:06:28 AM6/27/08
On 27 Jun 2008 10:30:19 GMT, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> opined:

>On 26 Jun 2008, Robert said the following in
>
>> On Jun 26, 4:39 am, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/6/26
>>> &name=Doonesbury>
>>>
>>> I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take
>>> that sort of shot at The Savior.
>>>

>> Where have you been for the past 38 years? Trudeau has taken shots at
>> every president and presidential hopeful, Republican and Democrat,
>> since Nixon and McGovern.
>
>I was thinking he would wait for after the election before starting in on
>Mr. Obama.

Why? Some of his most memorable strips were attacking Carter the
candidate via li'l Kim.
Len-L

Paul Ciszek

Jun 27, 2008, 1:19:06 PM6/27/08

In article <8n1864lv4ltg7lmf1...@4ax.com>,

Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
>On 26 Jun 2008 11:39:15 GMT, Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>><http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/6/26
>>&name=Doonesbury>
>>
>>I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take that
>>sort of shot at The Savior.
>
> Pure nonsense! He's obviously JFK reborn . . .

He was born in 1961. Hmmm, is there anyone in American politics who *was*
born immediately after Kennedy was shot?

And do you reckon re-incarnation from the date of birth or the date of
conception?

--
Please reply to: | President Bush is promoting Peace and Democracy
pciszek at panix dot com | in the Middle East by selling Weapons to the

Peter B. Steiger

Jun 26, 2008, 11:18:46 AM6/26/08
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:39:15 +0000, Dann sez:
> I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take that
> sort of shot at The Savior.

Whaaaaaaa? That phrase isn't Trudeau's; it's a common metaphor to
describe someone with delusions of grandeur. In this case, he wasn't
even suggesting a messiah; he said the "second coming of Lincoln".

I'm pretty sensitive to crass anti-God humor, but that ain't it.

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Jun 27, 2008, 2:43:28 PM6/27/08
On Jun 27, 1:19 pm, nos...@nospam.com (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
> In article <8n1864lv4ltg7lmf1mm7hf8o5flrjdb...@4ax.com>,
> Antonio E. Gonzalez  <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:

> >On 26 Jun 2008 11:39:15 GMT, Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >><http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/6/26
> >>&name=Doonesbury>
>
> >>I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take that
> >>sort of shot at The Savior.
>
> >    Pure nonsense!  He's obviously JFK reborn . . .
>
> He was born in 1961.  Hmmm, is there anyone in American politics who *was*
> born immediately after Kennedy was shot?
>
> And do you reckon re-incarnation from the date of birth or the date of
> conception?

I remember reading somewhere ("The Late Great Planet Earth"?) that
some millenialists believe the anti-Christ was born sometime in the
early 1960's3. Apparently some folks are convincing themselves that
Obama is indeed the anti-Christ.

Paul Ciszek

Jun 27, 2008, 10:30:21 PM6/27/08

In article <e47587e2-93b9-43b6...@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,

Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I remember reading somewhere ("The Late Great Planet Earth"?) that
>some millenialists believe the anti-Christ was born sometime in the
>early 1960's3. Apparently some folks are convincing themselves that
>Obama is indeed the anti-Christ.

I can remember when Jimmy Carter was the Antichrist.

Paul Ciszek

Jun 27, 2008, 10:33:49 PM6/27/08

In article <ots964lsgrr4c8mqp...@4ax.com>,

Len-L <len...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Why? Some of his most memorable strips were attacking Carter the
>candidate via li'l Kim.
>Len-L

"You can trust me, I've never *been* to Washington." "I believe you,
Honey." "Well, once, to pick up a peanut subsidy, but I kept my eyes
closed."

Dann

Jun 27, 2008, 10:39:10 PM6/27/08
On 27 Jun 2008, Paul Ciszek said the following in

> In article
> <e47587e2-93b9-43b6...@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
> Blinky the Wonder Wombat <wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>I remember reading somewhere ("The Late Great Planet Earth"?) that
>>some millenialists believe the anti-Christ was born sometime in the
>>early 1960's3. Apparently some folks are convincing themselves that
>>Obama is indeed the anti-Christ.
>
> I can remember when Jimmy Carter was the Antichrist.

It's in the party rules. Democrats can only nominate someone for
President if he is the Antichrist.

It wasn't sexism that did in Hillary's campaign. It was religion.

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

[tongue firmly in cheek....just in case it wasn't obvious]

Dann

Jun 28, 2008, 11:56:37 AM6/28/08
On 27 Jun 2008, Len-L said the following in

I don't recall much of that era WRT Doonesbury strips. My impression
from later Presidencies is that he spent more time using the strip to
criticize policies under GOP administrations and personal flaws under
Democratic administrations.

FWIW.

George Peatty

Jun 28, 2008, 12:29:02 PM6/28/08
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:18:46 -0400, "Peter B. Steiger"
<see...@for.email.address> wrote:

>> I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take that
>> sort of shot at The Savior.

>Whaaaaaaa? That phrase isn't Trudeau's; it's a common metaphor to
>describe someone with delusions of grandeur. In this case, he wasn't
>even suggesting a messiah; he said the "second coming of Lincoln".

>I'm pretty sensitive to crass anti-God humor, but that ain't it.

FWIW, I agree ..

George Peatty

Jun 28, 2008, 12:30:16 PM6/28/08
On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:43:28 -0700 (PDT), Blinky the Wonder Wombat
<wkharri...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I remember reading somewhere ("The Late Great Planet Earth"?) that
>some millenialists believe the anti-Christ was born sometime in the

>early 1960's. Apparently some folks are convincing themselves that

>Obama is indeed the anti-Christ.

Like, anyone needed convincing ..

Jym Dyer

Jun 28, 2008, 2:20:12 PM6/28/08
Dann writes:

> I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau
> would take that sort of shot at The Savior.

=v= Man, talk about knee-jerkin'. I guess you haven't paid
attention to the last three or so decades of _Doonesbury_.
<_Jym_>

Cindy Kandolf

Jun 28, 2008, 2:57:59 PM6/28/08
Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> writes:
> <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?date=2008/6/26
> &name=Doonesbury>
>
> I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take that
> sort of shot at The Savior.

Eh? I've seen no sign that Trudeau is particularly impressed by
Obama. Or any of the other candidates, for that matter.

Alex, of course, is an Obama Girl Deluxe, but not every character is a
mouthpiece for the artist, and Alex in particular has a history of
getting *way* too enthusiastic about political campaigns.

- Cindy Kandolf, certified language mechanic, mamma flodnak
flodmail: ci...@nethelp.no flodhome: Bærum, Norway
flodweb: http://www.flodnak.com/

racs...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2008, 3:55:01 PM6/28/08
On Jun 28, 12:30 pm, George Peatty <peattyg47-1...@copper.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 11:43:28 -0700 (PDT), Blinky the Wonder Wombat
>
> <wkharrisjr_i...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >I remember reading somewhere ("The Late Great Planet Earth"?) that
> >some millenialists believe the anti-Christ was born sometime in the
> >early 1960's. Apparently some folks are convincing themselves that
> >Obama is indeed the anti-Christ.
>
> Like, anyone needed convincing ..

Actually, this is one time the nuts aren't all rolling down to the
same low point, and Obama appears to have some support among, not so
much the "religious right" per se, because they'll always be more
"right" than "religious," but among the evangelicals who have in the
past allied with the millenialist whack-jobs. McCain is apparently
looking at an extremely conservative religious runningmate from
Louisiana in order to gather them up, but I think he's going to have
trouble convincing them that an extremist VP is sufficient.

In fact, I think it's going to be interesting to see how much
influence the truly deluded have in this election. I'm getting a vibe
that voters are becoming skeptical of loony-tune campaigning, and that
fact that some people believe idiotic things about either candidate
just might leave them standing alone this time around.

Or at least the margin may be such that what a bunch of crazy people
think won't be sufficient to carry the day.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Len-L

Jun 28, 2008, 4:02:43 PM6/28/08
On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 02:33:49 +0000 (UTC), nos...@nospam.com (Paul
Ciszek) wrote:

>In article <ots964lsgrr4c8mqp...@4ax.com>,
>Len-L <len...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>Why? Some of his most memorable strips were attacking Carter the
>>candidate via li'l Kim.
>>Len-L
>
>"You can trust me, I've never *been* to Washington." "I believe you,
>Honey." "Well, once, to pick up a peanut subsidy, but I kept my eyes
>closed."

"Issues, wissues, bissues, tissues, lissues, missues! I want to be
judged on my character."

George W Harris

Jun 29, 2008, 1:06:07 AM6/29/08

I thought LNER was implying that some of Obama's
supporters view him as a Savior, and was referring to that
(and expressing his disbelief that Trudeau was taking a
shot at Obama).

I don't agree with the sentiment in either case, but
find my interpretation more reasonable (not that
reasonableness is a persuasive argument as to which
interpretations was *intended*).
--
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

Dann

Jun 29, 2008, 7:45:20 PM6/29/08
On 26 Jun 2008, Peter B. Steiger said the following in

> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:39:15 +0000, Dann sez:
>> I never thought I'd live to see the day when Mr. Trudeau would take
>> that sort of shot at The Savior.
>
> Whaaaaaaa? That phrase isn't Trudeau's; it's a common metaphor to
> describe someone with delusions of grandeur. In this case, he wasn't
> even suggesting a messiah; he said the "second coming of Lincoln".
>
> I'm pretty sensitive to crass anti-God humor, but that ain't it.

Sorry. A few of the wing-nuttier sites have labeled Mr. Obama "The
Savior" and/or "The Messiah". The labeling stems from a comment he made
around the time that Mrs. Clinton conceded where he suggested that the
moment of his becoming the Democratic candidate-presumptive was the same
moment when America started to solve the health care "problem", end
poverty, and a couple other things.

I've been searching for the quote for a couple days now and can't find
it.

In any case, it isn't the sort of thing that I'd think that Mr. Trudeau
would go after at this stage of the game.

nickelshrink

Jun 29, 2008, 9:13:27 PM6/29/08
Dann wrote:

> the health care "problem"

I've changed my mind. I'm not going to ream you about
this. I run into a lot of people with whom i disagree
about the nature of the health care problem, and about
possible solutions, but if you're putting "problem"
in quotes, i think this is where it's time to just hang it up.

Peace out.

Save trees AND money! Buy used books!
http://stores.ebay.com/Noir-and-More-Books-and-Trains

Mike Beede

Jun 29, 2008, 10:30:36 PM6/29/08
In article <6cqq9kF...@mid.individual.net>,
nickelshrink <nickel...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Dann wrote:
>
> > the health care "problem"
>

> I've changed my mind. I'm not going to ream you about
> this. I run into a lot of people with whom i disagree
> about the nature of the health care problem, and about
> possible solutions, but if you're putting "problem"
> in quotes, i think this is where it's time to just hang it up.
>
> Peace out.

Sneer quotes: gotta "love" 'em.

"Mike" Beede

Dann

Jun 29, 2008, 10:54:57 PM6/29/08
On 29 Jun 2008, nickelshrink said the following in news:6cqq9kF3g83paU1
@mid.individual.net.

> Dann wrote:
>
>> the health care "problem"
>

> I've changed my mind. I'm not going to ream you about
> this. I run into a lot of people with whom i disagree
> about the nature of the health care problem, and about
> possible solutions, but if you're putting "problem"
> in quotes, i think this is where it's time to just hang it up.

I agree that there are problems.

I disagree with most of the proffered "solutions".

Peter B. Steiger

Jun 30, 2008, 4:53:21 PM6/30/08
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 21:30:36 -0500, Mike Beede sez:

> Sneer quotes: gotta "love" 'em.

http://quotation-marks.blogspot.com/

Rob Wynne

Jul 10, 2008, 2:22:30 PM7/10/08
Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I don't recall much of that era WRT Doonesbury strips. My impression
> from later Presidencies is that he spent more time using the strip to
> criticize policies under GOP administrations and personal flaws under
> Democratic administrations.

In other words...where they were weakest? :)

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

racs...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2008, 5:34:59 PM7/10/08
On Jul 10, 2:22 pm, Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:

> Dann <detox...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't recall much of that era WRT Doonesbury strips.  My impression
> > from later Presidencies is that he spent more time using the strip to
> > criticize policies under GOP administrations and personal flaws under
> > Democratic administrations.
>
> In other words...where they were weakest? :)

After the truth of the "Ma, Ma, where's my pa?" sliming came out, the
response from one of Grover Cleveland's supporters was "We are told
that Mr. Blaine has been delinquent in office but blameless in public
life, while Mr. Cleveland has been a model of official integrity but
culpable in personal relations. We should therefore elect Mr.
Cleveland to the public office for which he is so well qualified to
fill, and remand Mr. Blaine to the private station which he is
admirably fitted to adorn."

Mike Peterson
from the State of Maine

Dann

Jul 10, 2008, 11:07:27 PM7/10/08
On 10 Jul 2008, Rob Wynne said the following in news:Grsdk.96$AB3.411
@eagle.america.net.

> Dann <deto...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't recall much of that era WRT Doonesbury strips. My impression
>> from later Presidencies is that he spent more time using the strip to
>> criticize policies under GOP administrations and personal flaws under
>> Democratic administrations.
>>

> In other words...where they were weakest? :)

<grin>

Well....I wouldn't go THAT far....