9cwl 8/28

1 view

JC Dill

Aug 28, 2008, 1:34:30 PM8/28/08
I just love 9CWL - Both the story and the art are wonderful. I love
Edda's expression in the last panel in today's strip. Here's the past
week (for those who don't follow the strip):

<http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?week=1&date=2008/8/23&name=9_Chickweed_Lane>

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 28, 2008, 5:31:06 PM8/28/08
On Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:34:30 -0700, JC Dill <jcdill...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Evil Edda Smile = Teh Win!1!

--
- ReFlex 76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

Dann

Aug 28, 2008, 7:46:47 PM8/28/08
On 28 Aug 2008, JC Dill said the following in

She gets it from Gran, obviously....

--
Regards,
Dann

blogging at http://web.newsguy.com/dainbramage/blog.htm

Freedom works; each and every time it is tried.

Ron Bauerle

Sep 2, 2008, 1:28:14 AM9/2/08

Am I the only one thinking Brooke/Edda are confusing noogies with
Hertz Donuts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_prank#Noogie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_prank#Hertz_Doughnut

Ron

Freezer

Sep 2, 2008, 1:33:32 AM9/2/08
If I don't respond to this Ron Bauerle post, the terrorists win.

Yeah... That's *not* a noogie.

--
My name is:
____ _

racs...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2008, 4:45:17 AM9/2/08
On Sep 2, 1:33 am, Freezer <freeze...@hotSPAMTHISmail.com> wrote:

> > Am I the only one thinking Brooke/Edda are confusing noogies with
> > Hertz Donuts?
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_prank#Noogie
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_prank#Hertz_Doughnut
>
> Yeah... That's *not* a noogie.

But the article describes a "noogie" as being rubbed. I remember
those, but noogies were blows, not rubs, with the upraised knuckle or
with a class ring, administered to the head with or without the
headlock.

Yes, being old enough to have a class ring and giving out noogies
seems inconsistent, but I spent a few summers at Camp Lord O' The
Flies and you'd be surprised how old the juvenile bullying went. We're
talking 20 year old counselors administering noogies to 10-year-old
campers as punishment for various infractions. It was like something
out of Tom Brown's Schooldays.

In any case, punching on the arm was usually in connection with a
punching game, like "units." And a Hertz Donut was a titty twister.
The article cited is probably correct for a particular geographic
region at a particular time, but it's hardly definitive.

I'd say a raised-knuckle-punch could probably be classified as a
noogie even if not delivered to the top of the head.

Mike Peterson
http://nellieblogs.blogspot.com

Rusty

Sep 2, 2008, 12:22:56 PM9/2/08

Brooke addresses this in his blog, in his usual manner:

http://officialpibgorn.livejournal.com/22231.html

I've always known a noofie as being caught in a headlock and being a
firm knuckle rub on the noggin'

I suppose this is really that "regional problem" that we encounter every
so often.

Rusty

Sep 2, 2008, 12:24:24 PM9/2/08

noofie? Err, noogie. too bad the spell check doesn't recognize
noogie as an actual word.

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Sep 2, 2008, 12:24:05 PM9/2/08

Didn't noogies go national on SNL? I seem to remember that in that
series of sketches with Bill Murray as "Todd/Pizzaface", Jane Curtain as
Mrs. Loopner and Lorainne Newman as the Daughter, Todd was always giving
her noogies that seemed to involved getting her in a headlock and rubbing
his nuckles on her head. It seemed forceful and embarassing, but not
painful.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

Blinky the Wonder Wombat

Sep 2, 2008, 3:50:22 PM9/2/08
On Sep 2, 1:28 am, Ron Bauerle <ron.baue...@gmail.com> wrote:
> JC Dill wrote:
> > I just love 9CWL - Both the story and the art are wonderful.
> > I love Edda's expression in the last panel in today's strip.
> > Here's the past week (for those who don't follow the strip):
> >  <http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showComic.mpl?week=1&date=2008/8/23&...>

> Am I the only one thinking Brooke/Edda are confusing noogies with
> Hertz Donuts?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_prank#Noogiehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_prank#Hertz_Doughnut
>
> Ron

Isabel should be glad Edda doesn't inflict Purple Nurples.

Belphoebe

Sep 2, 2008, 3:55:42 PM9/2/08

> Brooke addresses this in his blog, in his usual manner:
>
> http://officialpibgorn.livejournal.com/22231.html
>
> I've always known a noofie as being caught in a headlock and being a
> firm knuckle rub on the noggin'
>
> I suppose this is really that "regional problem" that we encounter every
> so often.- Hide quoted text -

Whoops--I posted before noticing this thread.

Belphoebe

Belphoebe

Sep 2, 2008, 3:57:08 PM9/2/08
On Sep 2, 12:24 pm, t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) wrote:
> In article <g9jpbq$ru...@aioe.org>, Rusty  <russjunkm...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >Rusty wrote:

SNL was my source for learning about noogies. (Gilda Radner was Lisa
Loopner, BTW--and the recipient of noogies. :) )

Belphoebe

aemeijers

Sep 2, 2008, 6:22:01 PM9/2/08

I'd pay a dollar to watch that.

--
aem sends...

Evan Kirshenbaum

Sep 2, 2008, 7:39:36 PM9/2/08
Rusty <russju...@netscape.net> writes:

> pete...@SPAMnelliebly.org wrote:
>> I'd say a raised-knuckle-punch could probably be classified as a
>> noogie even if not delivered to the top of the head.
>>

> Brooke addresses this in his blog, in his usual manner:
>
> http://officialpibgorn.livejournal.com/22231.html
>
> I've always known a noofie as being caught in a headlock and being a
> firm knuckle rub on the noggin'
>
> I suppose this is really that "regional problem" that we encounter
> every so often.

Regional variation I hadn't been aware of, but I see that the first
quotation in the OED is

1978 C. MILLER -National Lampoon's Animal House Bk_. 14 Furious,
Larry gave Kent a hard noogie punch on the arm.

although they also refer to

J. E. Lighter _Hist. Dict. Amer. Slang_ cites a New York
University student in 1972 as saying that a 'noogie is a kind of a
punch or a jab you give someone with your third and middle
finger. You do it on the forehead or on the shoulder.'

I'm surprised it's that late. The earliest I see on Google Books is
from the 1968 _The Indian Wants the Bronx_, in which the stage
direction for a noogie is "raps Joey on the R. arm".

HP Laboratories |Sorry, captain. Convenient
1501 Page Mill Road, 1U, MS 1141 |technobabble levels are dangerously
Palo Alto, CA 94304 |low.

kirsh...@hpl.hp.com
(650)857-7572

http://www.kirshenbaum.net/

George Peatty

Sep 2, 2008, 7:59:26 PM9/2/08
On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 16:39:36 -0700, Evan Kirshenbaum
<kirsh...@hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> J. E. Lighter _Hist. Dict. Amer. Slang_ cites a New York
> University student in 1972 as saying that a 'noogie is a kind of a
> punch or a jab you give someone with your third and middle
> finger. You do it on the forehead or on the shoulder.'

The pop sound you hear is my personal thought balloon bubble bursting.
Everyone has been saying "noogie", and I've been reading .. and thinking ..
wedgie ..

Mike Beede

Sep 2, 2008, 8:37:05 PM9/2/08
In article <g9jp93$ruj$1...@aioe.org>, Rusty <russju...@netscape.net>
wrote:

> Brooke addresses this in his blog, in his usual manner:
>
> http://officialpibgorn.livejournal.com/22231.html

But . . . but . . . there was no mention of beefwits, churls,
or sagcods.

Mike Beede

Dann

Sep 2, 2008, 10:29:09 PM9/2/08
On 02 Sep 2008, Mike Beede said the following in news:beede-
186789.193...@news.visi.com.

It's all in there. You just need to read between the lines.

Dann

Sep 2, 2008, 10:28:45 PM9/2/08
On 02 Sep 2008, aemeijers said the following in

Five.

Do I hear ten?

Jym Dyer

Sep 3, 2008, 10:52:47 AM9/3/08
> Brooke addresses this in his blog, in his usual manner:

http://officialpibgorn.livejournal.com/22231.html

=v= Webster's? I have to agree with him.

> I've always known a noofie as being caught in a headlock
> and being a firm knuckle rub on the noggin'

=v= I'll just let Ronnie provide the Newfie jokes. :^)
[Slowly she turned, step by step, inch by inch, ...]
<_Jym_>

ronniecat

Sep 4, 2008, 6:38:15 PM9/4/08
Jym Dyer <j...@econet.org> wrote in

Ya, watch it, buddy. The Superpower I had upgraded in my absence was the
ability of my eyes to shoot invisible daggers. They now shoot actual,
steel, visible daggers. It's pretty cool except if they go off by
accident.

ronnie

--
remove my collar to reply via email

Mike Beede

Sep 4, 2008, 8:33:28 PM9/4/08
In article <Xns9B0FC7C482489ro...@66.250.146.207>,
ronniecat <ronni...@mycollar.ronniecat.com> wrote:

You must go through a lot of sunglasses, picture windows, and so
forth. Plus, you'd probably be really unpopular at sporting
events unless you were fully tranquilized first.

Mike Beede

Brian Huntley

Sep 4, 2008, 9:21:33 PM9/4/08
On Sep 4, 6:38 pm, ronniecat <ronnie....@mycollar.ronniecat.com>
wrote:

> Ya, watch it, buddy. The Superpower I had upgraded in my absence was the
> ability of my eyes to shoot invisible daggers. They now shoot actual,
> steel, visible daggers. It's pretty cool except if they go off by
> accident.

So, you took a government job, eh?

ronniecat

Sep 5, 2008, 6:15:42 PM9/5/08
Brian Huntley <brian_...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:34e2e6d7-2e8c-48fc-
be88-641...@j22g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Oh, THAT just got emailed to about 15 of my closest friends. (Some of whom
also took government jobs.)