Fox Trot (7-13)

1 view

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Jul 13, 2008, 6:15:55 PM7/13/08
Woa! Mentioning "The Untouchables" could get Bill Amend
blacklisted in Syndicate circles!:

<http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2008/07/13/>

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer

JGM

Jul 13, 2008, 6:31:09 PM7/13/08
On Jul 13, 6:15 pm, Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntEGM...@aol.com> wrote:
>     Woa!  Mentioning "The Untouchables" could get Bill Amend
> blacklisted in Syndicate circles!:
>
>   <http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2008/07/13/>

As I clicked on this, I was really expecting to see an Eliott Ness
reference. . . .

Okay, two questions on this:

- Is there any evidence to justify Antonio's quip? That is, is there
real animosity between the syndicates and webcomics?

- Of these four, I recognize xkcd and the NPC one rings a very vague
bell. What are the webcomics being referenced here?

JGM

Peter B. Steiger

Jul 13, 2008, 8:01:51 PM7/13/08
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:31:09 -0700, JGM sez:

> - Of these four, I recognize xkcd and the NPC one rings a very vague
> bell. What are the webcomics being referenced here?

That's PvP; upper left is Penny Arcade. I don't recognize the lower
right.

The xkcd reference would have been funnier (read: subtler) if he had
omitted the xkcd portion of the parody name and just called it "gfhz".

--
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY

Rusty

Jul 13, 2008, 8:40:34 PM7/13/08

For the record:

Penny Serenade (Penny Arcade)
http://www.penny-arcade.com/

NPC vs. NPC (PvP)
http://www.pvponline.com/

xkcdgfhz (xkcd)
http://xkcd.com/

The Ecstasy of Tech (The Joy of Tech)
http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/index.html

I recognized all but Joy of Tech.

Freezer

Jul 13, 2008, 9:52:28 PM7/13/08
If I don't respond to this Antonio E. Gonzalez post, the terrorists
win.

> Woa! Mentioning "The Untouchables" could get Bill Amend
> blacklisted in Syndicate circles!:
>
> <http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2008/07/13/>

I just wonder how many regular Foxtrot readers are seeing this and
going "BZUH?"

--
My name is:
____ _

Sherwood Harrington

Jul 13, 2008, 9:58:38 PM7/13/08
Freezer <free...@hotspamthismail.com> wrote:

> "BZUH?"

Which one is that?

--
Sherwood Harrington
Boulder Creek, California

Freezer

Jul 13, 2008, 11:19:42 PM7/13/08
If I don't respond to this Sherwood Harrington post, the terrorists
win.

> Freezer <free...@hotspamthismail.com> wrote:
>
>> "BZUH?"
>
> Which one is that?

Touche, sir!

LNER...@juno.com

Jul 13, 2008, 11:41:06 PM7/13/08

> For the record:
>
> Penny Serenade (Penny Arcade)http://www.penny-arcade.com/
>
> NPC vs. NPC (PvP)http://www.pvponline.com/
>
> xkcdgfhz (xkcd)http://xkcd.com/
>
> The Ecstasy of Tech (The Joy of Tech)http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/index.html

> I recognized all but Joy of Tech.

As my friend replied to me, "What?!? No 'Kilotokyo'???"

Len-L

Jul 14, 2008, 9:58:13 AM7/14/08
On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:01:51 -0400, "Peter B. Steiger"
<see...@for.email.address> opined:

>On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:31:09 -0700, JGM sez:
>
>> - Of these four, I recognize xkcd and the NPC one rings a very vague
>> bell. What are the webcomics being referenced here?
>
>That's PvP; upper left is Penny Arcade. I don't recognize the lower
>right.
>
>The xkcd reference would have been funnier (read: subtler) if he had
>omitted the xkcd portion of the parody name and just called it "gfhz".

I had not seen xkcd before. I spent the whole afternoon yesterday
reading it from the beginning. Granted, I had to use Wikipedia for
several items.

"I'm from the Internet. "
"Oh? Which part?"
Len-L

George W Harris

Jul 14, 2008, 2:54:32 PM7/14/08

Jason would have gone with 'GigaTokyo'.

--
Doesn't the fact that there are *exactly* 50 states seem a little suspicious?

George W. Harris For actual email address, replace each 'u' with an 'i'

Night Owl

Jul 14, 2008, 7:07:45 PM7/14/08
On Jul 14, 2:54 pm, George W Harris <ghar...@mundsprung.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 20:41:06 -0700 (PDT), LNER4...@juno.com wrote:
>
> >> For the record:
>
> >> Penny Serenade (Penny Arcade)http://www.penny-arcade.com/
>
> >> NPC vs. NPC (PvP)http://www.pvponline.com/
>
> >> xkcdgfhz (xkcd)http://xkcd.com/
>
> >> The Ecstasy of Tech (The Joy of Tech)http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/index.html
>
> >> I recognized all but Joy of Tech.
>
> >As my friend replied to me, "What?!? No 'Kilotokyo'???"
>
> Jason would have gone with 'GigaTokyo'.

Really, I thought he would go with "Sheldon". It seems to be right up
his alley. His fantasy is to be a freakishly rich ten year old blond
nerd with his own software company. Right?

Night Owl

Jul 14, 2008, 7:09:35 PM7/14/08
On Jul 13, 8:01 pm, "Peter B. Steiger" <see....@for.email.address>
wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 15:31:09 -0700, JGM sez:
>
> > - Of these four, I recognize xkcd and the NPC one rings a very vague
> > bell. What are the webcomics being referenced here?
>
> That's PvP; upper left is Penny Arcade. I don't recognize the lower
> right.

The lower right one is not a webcomic. It's actually any given weekend
at Gizmodo or Engadget. That one must have slipped in by mistake.

Jim Ellwanger

Jul 14, 2008, 10:32:42 PM7/14/08
In article <Xns9ADAD458FFB2fr...@194.177.96.26>,
Freezer <free...@hotSPAMTHISmail.com> wrote:

> If I don't respond to this Antonio E. Gonzalez post, the terrorists
> win.
>
> > Woa! Mentioning "The Untouchables" could get Bill Amend
> > blacklisted in Syndicate circles!:
> >
> > <http://www.gocomics.com/foxtrot/2008/07/13/>
>
> I just wonder how many regular Foxtrot readers are seeing this and
> going "BZUH?"

Well, let's put it this way: I happened to be in my hometown for the
weekend (my sister got married), and it's a good thing I was able to
(more or less) explain Sunday's FT to my mother.

--
Jim Ellwanger <use...@ellwanger.tv>
<http://www.ellwanger.tv> welcomes you daily.

Robin

Jul 15, 2008, 12:31:18 PM7/15/08
On Jul 14, 8:58 am, Len-L <len...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had not seen xkcd before. I spent the whole afternoon yesterday
> reading it from the beginning. Granted, I had to use Wikipedia for
> several items.

xkcd is my absolute favorite webcomic, and one of my top 10 among all
comics. I would love to see a collection, but I can't figure out how a
printed book could produce an equivalent effect with the title-text
punchlines.

Len-L, for the truly obscure ones, I find it helps to go read the
relevant thread at the xkcd forum. There's one for every comic, and
you can bet someone else needed an explanation too.

--Robin

Wayne Farmer

Jul 16, 2008, 4:19:04 AM7/16/08

Also, if your browser supports mouse-over pop-up text for images,
xkcd's author has a sometimes-helpful message inside each of his
comics.

Robin

Jul 16, 2008, 10:36:16 AM7/16/08
> comics.- Hide quoted text -

That's what he calls the "title-text" (which I referred to in my last
post). It's more often an extra punchline or observation, though
sometimes it does explain an obscure reference.

--Robin