John (The Meaning of Lila) Forgetta interview

D. D. Degg

Sep 28, 2008, 11:38:38 AM9/28/08
A short interview with the writer of "The Meaning of Lila" at...

-> -> -> Fair Warning
The below link to the interview is a gay website,
those who would have a problem with that, just forget it.

The interview is at
http://www.afterelton.com/bgwe/9-26-08?page=0%2C4

That posting also contains a link to an earlier post
about the recent history of gays in comic strips.
http://www.afterelton.com/Print/2008/5/cartooncloset
I found it very interesting.

It also links to Forgetta's site about the best of Lila.
http://www.themeaningoflila.com/

D.D.Degg

Charles Brubaker

Sep 28, 2008, 7:45:15 PM9/28/08
On Sep 28, 10:38 am, "D. D. Degg" <ddd...@comcast.net> wrote:
> A short interview with the writer of "The Meaning of Lila" at...
>
> -> -> -> Fair Warning
> The below link to the interview is a gay website,
> those who would have a problem with that, just forget it.
>
> The interview is athttp://www.afterelton.com/bgwe/9-26-08?page=0%2C4

> That posting also contains a link to an earlier post
> about the recent history of gays in comic strips.http://www.afterelton.com/Print/2008/5/cartooncloset

> I found it very interesting.
>
> It also links to Forgetta's site about the best of Lila.http://www.themeaningoflila.com/
>
> D.D.Degg

When living in Japan, I saw Lila in two places - the Stars and
Stripes, which Forgetta mentions as the largest paper to run the
strip, and also the Daily Yomiuri on Sundays (they didn't actually run
the Sunday strip; they just ran some random daily strip on Sundays).

I find it interesting that Stars & Stripes is the largest to run it.
Does it run in any other papers? I believe LA Times ran it at one
point, but dropped it.

Message has been deleted

Rob Wynne

Sep 29, 2008, 10:40:51 AM9/29/08
Dave Brown <dagb...@lart.ca> wrote:
> While I am aware that such a thing as a "gay community" exists, I am
> equally aware that quite a lot of gay people just want to live a
> straightforward life under normal circumstances with their partners.
> And I cannot possibly begrudge them that. It is, after all, the hope of
> any normal person to find someone who they can live a satisfying life
> with.

*sigh* The gay community isn't just the people who dress up for Pride
parades. Honestly, I don't even know where to begin with this one.

You're basically doing the equivilant of the news crew that goes to the
local SF convention and only talk to the guy in the propeller beanie and
Spock ears, and paints that as representative of fandom as a whole.

Rob
(I admit, when someone says "gay culture", the first person who leaps to
mind is Stephen Fry. So i may be odd...)

--
Rob Wynne / The Autographed Cat / d...@america.net
http://www.autographedcat.com/ / http://autographedcat.livejournal.com/

Message has been deleted

D. D. Degg

Sep 29, 2008, 7:59:09 PM9/29/08
Dave Brown wrote:

> D. D. Degg wrote:
> > -> -> -> Fair Warning
> > The below link to the interview is a gay website,
> > those who would have a problem with that, just forget it.
> A gay website? How can a website itself be gay?

I'm certain you knew what I meant.
There are people, some being friends and relatives, who would
flip out when they clicked on a link and were transported to a
website about gays, some of which are also friends and relatives.

I give the same consideration when linking to a site that is
not safe for work - or if I linked to a Satanic website.

It was a brief heads-up in common American English,
which I have a hard time with the way it is.

D.D.Degg

Rob Wynne

Sep 29, 2008, 9:05:10 PM9/29/08
Dave Brown <dagb...@lart.ca> wrote:
> In article <TN5Ek.15$gX6...@eagle.america.net>,

> Rob Wynne <d...@america.net> wrote:
>> *sigh* The gay community isn't just the people who dress up for Pride
>> parades. Honestly, I don't even know where to begin with this one.
>
> Go on, get it over with. Call me an impossible bigot. I just know
> that's what's coming next.
>
> Every time I mention that there are some aspects of a community that are
> undesirables even to other people who would otherwise be members of that
> same community, I end up being called a huge bigot.

I don't think you're a huge bigot. I just think you're underinformed about
a community of people. There's nothing really wrong with that, except that
you are talking about it as if you weren't.

Mike Beede

Sep 29, 2008, 10:48:21 PM9/29/08
In article <ktnrbg...@phb.lart.ca>, dagb...@LART.ca (Dave Brown)
wrote:

> So just get it over with. Now I'm a homophobe, aren't I? Last week I
> was a sexist and the week before that I was a racist.

At least you keep changing it up. Some people get stuck in
a rut and that's SO boring.

Mike Beede

Message has been deleted

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Oct 1, 2008, 2:13:06 AM10/1/08

For those wondering "Why After Elton?", Lloyd has been confirmed as
gay, and Forgetta himself is gay . . .

--

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

<http://reflex76.blogspot.com/>

<http://www.blogger.com/profile/07245047157197572936>

Katana > Chain Saw > Baseball Bat > Hammer