[NEWS] THE NEWS**** 2-21-97

Michael Doran

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

THE NEWS**** 2-21-97
Compiled, written and edited by Michael Doran (mike-...@prodigy.com)

Just a week after changing our name from The Comics Newswire to the more
innocuous, THE NEWSWIRE, we again got email from another web service
claiming rights to THAT name. Now I'm not sure if you can claim a
trademark over something as non-specific as "The Newswire", but we're
lovers, not fighters, so it's back to the drawing board...

Some of the names considered were "The ComicsWire" (thanks Tom!), The
Sequential Graphic Storytelling Information Resource Network (doesn't fit
on a t-shirt), "Kenny's Fried Foods and Comic Book Party Machine" (guess
whose idea that was?), "The Artist Formerly Known As the Newswire" (been
done), and my second favorite "The Steve Geppi Ass-Kiss Weekly".

But after long, agonizing, soul-searching, seconds of contemplation, and
while thinking of a name no one but us would be knuckleheaded enough to
use, like an epiphany if hit us and we were endeared to it immediately.
So with out further ado, we bring to you, the CBI (Comic Book Internet)
NEWSARAMA!
****

MARVEL "HIRES' OSTRANDER

As announced a couple of weeks ago by what was then called the Newswire,
John Ostrander will be taking over as writer for Marvel's HEROES FOR HIRE,
which was originally conceived and to be written as THE POWER CORPS by
ROGER STERN.

Ostrander has provided NEWSARAMA with some details of the title,
including the much-rumored line-up of the new team. According to John,
the team will consist of "Iron Fist, Powerman, Black Knight, a new White
Tiger and guest stars, along with Jim Hammond, the original Human Torch,
now without powers".

The HULK, speculated as being a potential member for months and featured
prominently in the "Heroes For Hire" b&w preview in Marvel's February
books, will NOT in fact be joining, but instead will "guest star in issue
#1 and then be gone", this also according to Ostrander.

"The group will be pro-active" says John, "meaning they won't wait around
for something to happen -- they'll try to anticipate trouble".

How did Ostrander wind up as writer of a book conceived by Stern? In an
email reply to NEWSARAMA, Stern explained the situation and it's
reprinted unedited here...

["A month or so ago, Marvel began making noises about retitling the book
HEROES FOR HIRE ... despite the fact that the heroes in the book were not,
in fact, for hire. (Not that I have anything against the Heroes for Hire
concept ... it's a good one. It's just not what I had in mind for the
book. If Marvel had told me that they wanted a new HfH book, I could have
come of with a proposal in much less time than I did for Power Corps.)

Also, despite having spent the better part of a year thinking about PC, I
was still having a hard time figuring out just what was going on in the
Marvel Universe ... and the book was supposed to be taking the place
(along with Thunderbolts) of the Avengers and the FF in the Marvel U. At
least, that was the original idea.

So, rather than beat my head against a wall, coming up with stories for a
book whose concept was being re-thought around me, I decided to step away.

But I'm very happy that Marvel followed up on my suggestion to get John
Ostrander for the title. He should do a fine job."

- Roger Stern]

Stern has no plans as yet to pick up a new regular assignment and will be
keeping his options open for special projects and the such.

In the meantime, he will be working on a story for AMAZING SPIDER-MAN '97
(the 1997 annual) and the May Flashback issue of UNTOLD TALES OF
SPIDERMAN.

The Stern/Romita Sr. UTOS story features a tale of Peter parents, Richard
and Mary Parker during their spy days. The book will also feature a back-
up story about LIL PETEY by Fred Hembeck.
****

MARVEL'S "NEGATIVE" ATTITUDE

Speaking of "Flashback Month", Marvel has recently made the decision to
number all there May Flashback Month books "-1". That's negative ONE for
you scoring at home.

The numbering system was decided upon because all Marvel stories that
month feature stories that take place before the events of each book's
original #1. Each title's regular numbering system will just skip one
month to allow for the special issue, and the numbers of the June books
will be resume consecutively from the April releases, all this according
to Kurt Busiek and Tom Brevoort on the Usenet.

On a related front, Busiek also announced that the THUNDERBOLTS WOULD be
getting a -1 issue to be drawn by Steve Epting, but since the book is so
new, the regular issue #4 of that book will ship in May also.

Busiek promises the story will take a "look at the various T-Bolts long
before the team was formed -- and in some cases, before they finished
school. It also features the villainy of Baron Heinrich Zemo, the hordes
of Hydra, and a cameo by a certain super-strong derelict in New York's
Bowery district. Oh yeah, and the original Citizen V, to boot."

-- Also from Busiek...Kurt has informed NEWSARAMA that he has spoken to
Marvel about the post-Heroes Reborn IRON MAN. He cautions however, that
nothing has gotten past the "discussion" phase and says it is not unusual
for Marvel to line options for their core books. This of course comes on
the heels of a NEWSARAMA report that Bob Layton and David Michelinie
turned in a proposal for IRON MAN to Bob Harras in January.

Busiek has long-expressed an affinity for the Golden Avenger (and
Hawkeye), once leaving a detailed synopsis of his take on the character
on the CompuServe Comics/Animation Forum.

-- David Campiti also reports that he and Mike Deodato Jr. have turned in
a proposal for CAPTAIN AMERICA..
****

WHAT QUENTIN HAS BEGOT

DC Executive Editor Mike Carlin has confirmed that the theme for the 1997
DC Annuals will be "Pulp Heroes" as rumored on the internet for weeks. In
an email response, Carlin explained, "that is in fact the theme... and it
simply means current adventures set in "Pulpy" genres. ie: Superman in a
western style adventure... Robin in a romance story... Green Lantern in a
noirish mystery... etcetera! But they are not Elseworlds... they are real
adventures that fit the current continuity."

Carlin went on to add "The examples above are merely that, examples...
but be on the lookout for the annuals, the painted covers'll be
COOOOOOOL!"
****

PAD'S CROSSOVER DREAMS

PETER DAVID has told fans on the Prodigy Service that a SUPERGIRL/AQUAMAN
crossover is currently in the planning stages.
****

MORE HOMAGE ON THE WAY

Expect an announcement(s) soon regarding those long-rumored additions to
the HOMAGE COMICS line. There are a least 3 new projects nearly ready to
be introduced, including DESPERADOES, a new book by Homage/Wildstorm
Director of Marketing, and former HAZARD writer, Jeff Mariotte.

Apparently one of the other creators has been leaving hints about his new
book at his website for the last several weeks..?? Look for big names on
all the new titles...
****

BRIT BITS

Warren Ellis tells NEWSARAMA to expect his story in the TOP COW anthology,
TALES OF THE WITCHBLADE to be # 3 in that series and to look for it late
this year. Ellis also hints that he has spoken to a few other companies
regarding new projects including more work at DC, and a possible return
to MARVEL for the former EXCALIBUR writer.

And you can add Warren's name to the list of writers of HARRIS Comics
special DRACULA 100th Anniversary Edition. Ellis will join JAMES ROBINSON,
and the previously announced ALAN MOORE as writers of three tales
(respectively) of Dracula's relationship with Vampirella, past, present
and future.
****

AND MORE FROM HARRIS

Off the success of the Vampirella/Catwoman crossover, Harris Comics has
also announced another crossover for the coming months. Look for
Vampirella/WETWORKS in June by Harris, to be immediately followed by
Wetworks/Vampirella by Wildstorm. No creative team was announced. Also in
the works is a much-rumored CYBERFROG crossover...
****

CALIBER RELOADS

Look for a few new projects coming your way from Caliber Press this May.
Andrew Ford's RIB makes the move from self-publishing to Caliber with a
new #1 issue. The special edition will be a double-sized and feature a
"representation" of the self-published #1, in addition to a 20-page story.

Christopher Golden's THUNDER GOD also makes the move from CRUSADE to
Caliber that month.

And coming from Caliber's Creative Director Joe Pruett in May...

Joe has another new book coming under the IMAGE/JIM VALENTINO imprint.
THE NAMELESS is a monthly horror/fantasy series dealing with an 800 year-
old man who's had his identity stolen from him. The book will be drawn by
Pruett's frequent collaborator Phil Hester.

Pruett also said he is working on THREE other new books, including AVALON
for Sirius (due this fall and dealing with Arthurian legend), and an
untitled new series due from Caliber in August. More details as they
become available.

COLD, DEAD FINGERS PRYING OPEN

FLASH penciler PAUL C. RYAN tells NEWSARAMA that Mark Waid and Brian
Augustyn, who were expected to begin their year long sabbatical from that
title beginning with issue #130, will instead bow out with issue #129,
the conclusion of a three issue story arc beginning in issue #127.

According to Ryan, "HELL TO PAY! deals with the return of the Rogues
Gallery villains whose deaths initiated the Underworld Unleashed story
line. They have escaped from Hell but were unable to reunite with their
souls. They are no longer the fun loving thieves we knew and loved?
They are completely ruthless and are motivated only by the desire to
cause pain and destruction."

"Wally calls in the Justice League to help defend Keystone City while he
confronts Neron in his underworld kingdom. It is a great, explosive
story arc and Mark and Brian feel that this would be a good place to take
their bows" said Ryan.
****

THE ONLINE GRAPEVINE (a.k.a. The Rumor Mill)

Look like those James Robinson/Generation X rumors are true, at least
according to the last issue of Overstreet's FAN. That magazine is
reporting that Robinson will write a 4 part GEN X story beginning in
issue #29 of that title.

So what's this I hear about Robinson working on CABLE???

And what's this ALAN DAVIS six-issue mini-series with Marvel later this
year?? (LAST MINUTE AMENDMENT - Don't look like rumor anymore, Tom
Brevoort confirms Davis is working on a KILLRAVEN revival.)

And can the rumors be true, can that certain X-legend be making a return
to that certain book?? Stay tuned...

*The CBI NEWSARAMA is a compilation of news gathered directly from comic
book publishers, professionals, or from independent sources on the
internet.

(C) 1997 Michael Doran (mike_...@prodigy.com)

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

Michael Doran (XZY...@prodigy.com) wrote:

: Just a week after changing our name from The Comics Newswire to the more

: innocuous, THE NEWSWIRE, we again got email from another web service
: claiming rights to THAT name. Now I'm not sure if you can claim a
: trademark over something as non-specific as "The Newswire", but we're
: lovers, not fighters, so it's back to the drawing board...

Suggestion, Mike? Why don't you just call it "Mike Doran's Comics
Newswire?" If you put your name in there, ain't nothing anyone else can
do about it.

: So with out further ado, we bring to you, the CBI (Comic Book Internet)
: NEWSARAMA!

Ick. :)

: ...all this according

: to Kurt Busiek and Tom Brevoort on the Usenet.

Just "Usenet." No "the" in there. Hope this helps.

: COLD, DEAD FINGERS PRYING OPEN

: FLASH penciler PAUL C. RYAN tells NEWSARAMA that Mark Waid and Brian
: Augustyn, who were expected to begin their year long sabbatical from that
: title beginning with issue #130, will instead bow out with issue #129,
: the conclusion of a three issue story arc beginning in issue #127.

Hmm, now *that's* unexpected. Thanks for the info.

Wish you hadn't spoiled the upcoming storyline, though. Please warn folks
if you're going to do this from now on.

- Elayne
--
I am currently seeking a job as a secretary in Manhattan or Brooklyn. I
type 95wpm, have excellent phone skills, can transcribe from dictaphones

Tom Galloway

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

In article <5elapn$g...@panix.com> fire...@panix.com (Elayne Wechsler-Chaput) writes:
>Suggestion, Mike? Why don't you just call it "Mike Doran's Comics
>Newswire?" If you put your name in there, ain't nothing anyone else can
>do about it.

Look for "Tom Galloway's Superman" and "Tom Galloway's Batman" coming
soon to a comics store near you.

Right before DC lawyers send me enough cease and desist orders that
I can then make a reasonable living from the recycling revenue.

tyg t...@netcom.com

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

Tom Galloway (t...@netcom.com) wrote:

Oh, crap, then it looks like I'm going to have to scrap those plans for
"Elayne Wechsler-Chaput's Kingdom Come"... :)

I don't see people getting bent out of shape by "Mike Doran's Newswire"
because it uses the term "newswire" (an everyday word found around the
house yadda yadda, rather than a trademarked icon). I stand by my
suggestion.

Charles S. LePage

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

fire...@panix.com (Elayne Wechsler-Chaput) wrote:

>I don't see people getting bent out of shape by "Mike Doran's Newswire"
>because it uses the term "newswire" (an everyday word found around the
>house yadda yadda, rather than a trademarked icon). I stand by my
>suggestion.

There is a "Comics2000 Newswire" on the Internet; possibly, there are
similiar names being used. You did suggest "MD Comics Newswire", not "MD
Newswire"; the latter is something no one would object to, I would imagine.

*************************************
* Chuck *
* http://www.ccse.net/~ncrl *
*************************************

Comics by heart

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

XZY...@prodigy.com (Michael Doran) wrote:

>Ostrander has provided NEWSARAMA with some details of the title,
>including the much-rumored line-up of the new team. According to John,
>the team will consist of "Iron Fist, Powerman, Black Knight, a new White
>Tiger and guest stars, along with Jim Hammond, the original Human Torch,
>now without powers".

The White Tiger ?
Somebody else than me remembers the White Tiger ?
Wow !
Me tought little me last person on eart knowing the guy...
Souvenir, souvenir ;-))

SHADES031

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

According to Michael Doran:

<<And can the rumors be true, can that certain X-legend be making a return

to that certain book?? Stay tuned... >>

This rumor might be a bit more substantiated due to Peter David's latest
But I Digress column which listed Chris Claremont as one of the attendees
at the last Marvel Writers' Conference.

Edward Douglas
SHADES031
"The 0 is silent"

Michael Doran

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions folks, but we're sticking with
NEWSARAMA, it's stupid yes, but I like it.

And Elayne, thanks for the spolier advice, I will defintely consider it.
MY apologoies to anyone affected...

m.

michael kelly

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

t...@netcom.com (Tom Galloway) writes:

|> In article <5elapn$g...@panix.com> fire...@panix.com (Elayne Wechsler-Chaput) writes:
|> >Suggestion, Mike? Why don't you just call it "Mike Doran's Comics
|> >Newswire?" If you put your name in there, ain't nothing anyone else can
|> >do about it.
|>
|> Look for "Tom Galloway's Superman" and "Tom Galloway's Batman" coming
|> soon to a comics store near you.
|>
|> Right before DC lawyers send me enough cease and desist orders that
|> I can then make a reasonable living from the recycling revenue.

What about: "Tom Galloway's Kurt Busiek's Astro City?"

--
+ Mike Kelly, University of Michigan Department of Physics +
+ +

David Tallan

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

:
: Hmm, now *that's* unexpected. Thanks for the info.

:
: Wish you hadn't spoiled the upcoming storyline, though. Please warn folks
: if you're going to do this from now on.

I really don't see that this requires spoiler space. Unless you can read
a heck of a lot more between the lines than I do, he hasn't said anythin
at all about the contents of upcoming issues, just the length of the
story arc. I've seen a fair bit of that here in the newsgroups (most
noticeably in KBAC threads where the length of the current story arc has
been mentioned a number of times without spoilers without complaints).

So I'll be sure to add plenty of spoiler space
^L
*
*
*

*
*
*

before mentioning that the current story arc of _Thieves & Kings_ ends
with the upcoming issue #16 (available in stores in March, M'Oak was
working on the cover last night and the comic should be shipped to
Quebecor any time now). Coincidentally, that same issue will contain a
nine page preview for Tara Jenkin's GALAXION (which solicits its #1
issue in March).

And Elayne, if you send me your snail mail address, I can send you a copy
of T&K #15 since NYC seems to be sold out.

--
Respectfully,
David Tallan

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

David Tallan (dta...@gold.interlog.com) wrote:
: Elayne Wechsler-Chaput (fire...@panix.com) wrote:

: So I'll be sure to add plenty of spoiler space

: *
: *
: *

Not necessary. I finally scored a copy at Jim Hanley's Universe. My
review appears elsewhere on this newsgroup, in the fourth installment of
my column.

I do, however, still need a copy of GALAXION #3.

- Elayne
--
"The kiss originated when the first male reptile licked the first female
reptile, implying in a subtle, complimentary way that she was as succulent

Martin Wisse

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

Michael Doran (XZY...@prodigy.com) wrote:
: THE NEWS**** 2-21-97

: Compiled, written and edited by Michael Doran (mike-...@prodigy.com)

(deleted to the tune of ELO's where's the news)

: MARVEL "HIRES' OSTRANDER

: Stern has no plans as yet to pick up a new regular assignment and will be

: keeping his options open for special projects and the such.
:
: In the meantime, he will be working on a story for AMAZING SPIDER-MAN '97
: (the 1997 annual) and the May Flashback issue of UNTOLD TALES OF
: SPIDERMAN.
:
: The Stern/Romita Sr. UTOS story features a tale of Peter parents, Richard
: and Mary Parker during their spy days. The book will also feature a back-
: up story about LIL PETEY by Fred Hembeck.

Marvel's getting interesting again.

: MARVEL'S "NEGATIVE" ATTITUDE

:
: Speaking of "Flashback Month", Marvel has recently made the decision to
: number all there May Flashback Month books "-1". That's negative ONE for
: you scoring at home.

on the other hand... yet another boneheaded Marvel gimmick

: WHAT QUENTIN HAS BEGOT

:
: DC Executive Editor Mike Carlin has confirmed that the theme for the 1997
: DC Annuals will be "Pulp Heroes" as rumored on the internet for weeks. In
: an email response, Carlin explained, "that is in fact the theme... and it
: simply means current adventures set in "Pulpy" genres. ie: Superman in a
: western style adventure... Robin in a romance story... Green Lantern in a
: noirish mystery... etcetera! But they are not Elseworlds... they are real
: adventures that fit the current continuity."

Just once i would like to read:

"In a suprise announcement DC has revealed that there won't be any
annual themes this year, apart from hiring the best creators for
special stories."

You know, the way annuals used to be

Martin Wisse

Duggy

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

On 24 Feb 1997, David Tallan wrote:

>: : FLASH penciler PAUL C. RYAN tells NEWSARAMA that Mark Waid and Brian

>: : Augustyn, who were expected to begin their year long sabbatical from that
>: : title beginning with issue #130, will instead bow out with issue #129,
>: : the conclusion of a three issue story arc beginning in issue #127.

>I really don't see that this requires spoiler space. Unless you can read

>a heck of a lot more between the lines than I do, he hasn't said anythin
>at all about the contents of upcoming issues, just the length of the
>story arc. I've seen a fair bit of that here in the newsgroups (most
>noticeably in KBAC threads where the length of the current story arc has
>been mentioned a number of times without spoilers without complaints).

Umm, it did in the SECOND paragraph of that article. She only quoted the
first so as to not compound the spoiler.

---
- Dug.

David Tallan

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput (fire...@panix.com) wrote:

: I do, however, still need a copy of GALAXION #3.

If my math is correct, GALAXION #3 is scheduled to hit the stores come
September. I promise, however, to have an ashcan for you at Motor City. :)
We'll also have copies of _Thieves & Kings_ #16 (with our 9 page GALAXION
preview) at the Helikon table.

So this isn't entirely self-promotional, M'oak was talking this morning
about the preparation of the next trade paperback, covering issues 7-16
(yes, ten whole issues!). Apparently you can expect to see it ship this
summer.