NEWS: CBI NEWSARAMA 4-5-97

David Francis Smith

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

In article <5i9hlq$i...@newssvr01-int.news.prodigy.com>,
XZY...@prodigy.com (Michael Doran) wrote:

> CBI NEWSARAMA 4-5-97
> Compiled, written and edited by Michael Doran (mike-...@prodigy.com)
>
> CAPTAIN CATHARTIC
>
> Rob Liefeld is going to vent some of his frustrations over his removal
> from Marvel's HEROES REBORN project when he and Extreme Studios release
> AGENT: AMERICA on July 4th.

Oh, poor baby. Did-ums get fired 'cos of gross incompetence and go boom?

> -JIM LEE will create and pencil and brand new series.

And they're going to guarantee that this ships? Shyeah, right.

> - Possible new creative directions and teams for DV8, WETWORKS and
> STORMWATCH.
^^^^^^^^^^
Ohhh, they better not.

Colonel Sir David Francis Smith, yyr...@u.washington.edu
"To think that the mighty Black Sabbath came from this town.
I bet they don't live here anymore."

-Henry Rollins, on Birmingham, England

Bryant Durrell

Apr 6, 1997, 4:00:00 AM4/6/97

In article <5i9tsf$g...@dfw-ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>,
Jacquelyn Schnoop <tea...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>In <5i9hte$1f...@newssvr01-int.news.prodigy.com> XZY...@prodigy.com
>(Michael Doran) writes:
><much, much stuff and junk snipped>

>>- Possible new creative directions and teams for DV8, WETWORKS and
>>STORMWATCH.
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>
>I kinda doubt that one. Warren Ellis has been on record saying that
>they'd have to pry that title out of his cold, dead fingers. I tend to
>believe him, but what do I know?

Sales have not been great. There's been an upturn lately, though,
so I'm at least hopeful.

--
dur...@innocence.com http://www.innocence.com/~durrell dur...@bofh.net
"[David] Cronenberg is to Toronto as John Hughes is to Chicago."

Michael Doran

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

CBI NEWSARAMA 4-5-97
Compiled, written and edited by Michael Doran (mike-...@prodigy.com)

CAPTAIN CATHARTIC

Rob Liefeld is going to vent some of his frustrations over his removal
from Marvel's HEROES REBORN project when he and Extreme Studios release
AGENT: AMERICA on July 4th.

The project, written by former Captain America writer Jeph Loeb with art
by Liefeld, Stephen Platt and Jon Sibal tells the story of "a great
patriotic hero who is reactivated in order to combat the evil
machinations of an all-powerful conglomerate known as Chapter 11".

Says Liefeld, "I loved working on Captain America and I'm ecstatic at the
opportunity to work on yet another all-American hero. When creating
Agent: America, we were clearly inspired by other classic patriotic
heroes such as Joe Simon and Jack Kirby's The Fighting American and
Archie Comics The Shield," he adds.

The character’s first appearance will actually be in the upcoming Extreme
event mini-series Judgment Day written by Alan Moore shipping in May and
June.
* * * *

LET'S REVIEW

Mile High Comics is reporting at their website that in June, MARVEL will
begin introducing new
plot synopsis/summary pages in their titles. The feature, that according
to the report was announced by Marvel at a March retailer meeting in
Tarrytown, New York, is a two-page plot synopsis that will run prior to
each new story. In order not to impede on the regular interior page count,
the synopsis will run on the interior side of a single gate-fold front
cover. The exterior two gate-fold pages will run traditional advertising,
while the interior will feature all the information and background a
reader will need to understand the new story.

The feature is an answer to criticisms of Marvel's sometimes confusing
and convoluted continuity. According to Mile High, this feature will
begin in June with some select titles and will then gradually expand to
other titles.

In order to cover costs of the extra cover pages, the price of Marvel's
$1.95 comics will be raised to $1.99.

NEWSARAMA will have more on this story in next week's edition.
* * * *

WILDSTORM ON THE “HORIZON”

In July, WILDSTORM STUDIOS will kick off the next phase of their
publishing future with NEW HORIZONS, a plan that will see Wildstorm
regroup and refocus on their core titles after spending much of their
attention on HEROES REBORN in the last year.

The main focus of the strategy is trim some of the fat off the Wildstorm
Universe. In addition, as part of the plan, Wildstorm will institute
guaranteed shipping . Details are still sketchy, but some changes you
will see --

-The GRIFTER series will be canceled and he will return to the cast of
WILDC.A.T.S.

-As previously announced, BACKLASH will be canceled and that character
(along with Taboo) will become part of a new Brett Booth superteam-title
WILDCORE.

-JIM LEE will create and pencil and brand new series.

- Possible new creative directions and teams for DV8, WETWORKS and
STORMWATCH.

NEWSARAMA is following this story also and should have more details next
week.
* * * *

CARTOON NETWORKING

Andy Mangels of MANIA (www.mania.com) is reporting that Warner Bros.
Animation is producing a series of animated features based on DC
superheroes. The first, as reported in January by NEWSARAMA, will be JACK
KIRBY'S NEW GODS, to be followed by (in no particular order) Aquaman,
Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, The Spectre, and Shazam!

The features have no definite release date, and don't expect to see NEW
GODS until at least 1999.

Mangels' also reports that a direct-to-video Superman Animated feature
will be released in conjunction with the SUPERMAN REBORN live-action film
on Warner's 1998 release schedule.

This will follow the animated Batman: Sub Zero video feature being
released with this summer's BATMAN AND ROBIN. And in summer 1999, another
animated Batman film is expected to be released on video with BATMAN 5.
* * * *

FROM THIS WEEK'S DC ONLINE NEWSLETTER
(to subscribe, email DCOJo...@aol.com with the subject "subscribe")

Mike Wieringo will not be working Mark Waid's "Life History of the Flash".
Wieringo had to drop out of the project and will be replaced by Gil Kane.

The Huntress makes her first appearance in the BATMAN & ROBIN ADVENTURES
in issue #19.
* * * *

BYTES & PIECES

As reported in NEWSARAMA’s Rumor Mill week ago, Marvel is indeed planning
to launch a new HORROR line of comics to be edited by Ralph Macchio. The
line is currently being planned as a NON-CODE line of books. Look for
news of titles and creative teams in upcoming editions of the CBI-N.

Marvel Editor Tom Brevoort tells us the last issue of the final (for the
time being, at least) VENOM limited series ships in November. No reason
was given for the "cancellation" of the series (of mini's) or word of the
character's future.

The ASTRO CITY: LIFE IN THE BIG CITY TPB is going back to press for a 3RD
printing (in 8 months).

DC has launched a new website for their HELIX line of comics at WWW.
HELIXCOMICS.COM. The site features games, chat rooms, information on
their current lineup and creators, and previews of upcoming Helix titles.

KURT BUSIEK'S WIZARD TALE (with fully painted art by Dave Wenzel)
originally scheduled as a November 1996 release from Homage Comics, is
being resolicited for July shipping. Previous orders for the November
ship date have been canceled.

The delays, that Busiek attributes to color-separation scan problems,
apparently have been overcome and Homage is confident they can get the
book to stores by July.

TOP COW plans a DARKNESS/WITCHBLADE crossover for this November.
* * * *

THE GRAPELINE (a.k.a. the Rumor Mill)

Look for a some shuffling of the creative teams for Marvel’s STAR TREK
line of books. In addition to changes in creators, the shuffling could
also include the reformatting of certain titles and a line-wide crossover
in the coming months.
* * * *

So, what’s going on with the FF? Well, looks like that rumor about Karl
Kesel and Tom Grummett signing on as the new post-HR creative team might
have been a little premature.

Turns out in a classic case of the ‘ole telephone game, word that came to
NEWSARAMA to the effect that Kesel/Grummett would get the book was based
on the fact that Kesel/Grummett WANT the book, and some other creators in
and around Marvel want them to get it to also.

Karl has informed Newsarama that he wants the series, has submitted a
“proposal”, and has even offered to ink Grummett’s pencils. But as of
Saturday, they hadn’t been offered the book.

Don’t mean they won’t get it, just means the haven’t yet.

Stay tuned...

*The CBI NEWSARAMA is a weekly compilation of news gathered directly from
comic book publishers, professionals, and from independent sources on the
internet. For a list of the various internet venues that carry NEWSARAMA,
email us at the below address.

Any fan or pro with news, rumors, suggestions, or complaints, can address
them to NEWSARAMA editor Michael Doran at the below email address. We
encourage any & ALL feedback.

(C) 1997 Michael Doran (mike_...@prodigy.com)

Jacquelyn Schnoop

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

(Michael Doran) writes:

<much, much stuff and junk snipped>

>- Possible new creative directions and teams for DV8, WETWORKS and
>STORMWATCH.
^^^^^^^^^^

I kinda doubt that one. Warren Ellis has been on record saying that
they'd have to pry that title out of his cold, dead fingers. I tend to
believe him, but what do I know?

-Jackie

David Francis Smith

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <5ia57m$cus$1...@toybox.flick.com>, dur...@innocence.com (Bryant
Durrell) wrote:

> In article <5i9tsf$g...@dfw-ixnews5.ix.netcom.com>,
> Jacquelyn Schnoop <tea...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> >In <5i9hte$1f...@newssvr01-int.news.prodigy.com> XZY...@prodigy.com
> >(Michael Doran) writes:
> ><much, much stuff and junk snipped>
> >

> >>- Possible new creative directions and teams for DV8, WETWORKS and
> >>STORMWATCH.

> > ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >I kinda doubt that one. Warren Ellis has been on record saying that
> >they'd have to pry that title out of his cold, dead fingers. I tend to
> >believe him, but what do I know?
>

> Sales have not been great. There's been an upturn lately, though,
> so I'm at least hopeful.

The Jim Lee issue ought to give it a good hard kick, even if it is all
splash pages. 46 showed a small gain as well, about three percent, as
did 44, though the latter was probably due to the variant covers.

Colonel Sir David Francis Smith, yyr...@u.washington.edu

"The tripped-out part happened when all the transvestite regulars
came in and mixed with the Flag audience types. It was awesome.
Punkers standing next to big men in dresses."

-Henry Rollins, on playing gay bars

patdo...@aol.com

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <5i9hte$1f...@newssvr01-int.news.prodigy.com>, XZY...@prodigy.com (Michael Doran) writes:

>Says Liefeld, "I loved working on Captain America and I'm ecstatic at the
>opportunity to work on yet another all-American hero. When creating
>Agent: America, we were clearly inspired by other classic patriotic
>heroes such as Joe Simon and Jack Kirby's The Fighting American and
>Archie Comics The Shield," he adds.

IOW, like every other Liefeld "creation," there's not a single original thing about
the character.

Best, Pat

The words and opinions expressed are those of Patrick Daniel O'Neill and do not represent the opinions or policies of WIZARD: THE GUIDE TO COMICS.

David Francis Smith

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <5icbof$q16$2...@quasar.dimensional.com>, j...@dimensional.com (Joe
Helfrich) wrote:

> Michael Doran (XZY...@prodigy.com) wrote:
> : CBI NEWSARAMA 4-5-97
> : The project, written by former Captain America writer Jeph Loeb with art

> : by Liefeld, Stephen Platt and Jon Sibal tells the story of "a great
> : patriotic hero who is reactivated in order to combat the evil
> : machinations of an all-powerful conglomerate known as Chapter 11".
>

> I can't believe that no one has caught the obvious joke in the villian
> name. Someone please tell me I'm not alone.

I think it was sufficiently obvious that nobody wanted to bother. I
got the "joke," anyway. Now that sounds like one damn painful series.
Rob Liefeld _and_ Stephen Platt. I'm getting queasy just thinking about
it.
ObPlatt: Has anybody noticed that the women he draws haven't got a
pelvis? It looks as if somebody plugged their femurs directly into
the base of the spine. Really weird.

> : - Possible new creative directions and teams for DV8, WETWORKS and
> : STORMWATCH.<<--
>
> As others have said, Grrrrrr.

Lemme second the growl. GRRRRRR!

David Francis Smith

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <5icdpa$1lm$3...@nntp-2.io.com>, rwla...@io.com (Randy Lander) wrote:

> I had hope that Judgment Day would clear out the childish, anti-Marvel
> stuff that clogged much of Image's early continuity. (Nothing can save
> Larsen's corner of the universe from it, you've just got to ignore and
> focus on the fun stuff). Sadly, Alan Moore and Liefeld are introducing
> it. It wouldn't be as bad if they'd at least not named the bad guys
> Chapter 11.

I wonder how much of it is Mr. Moore's idea. I know he's got his own
grudges against Marvel, but I hope he manages to stay above that sort of
thing.

> If Ellis is gone from Stormwatch after the amazing story he's turning
> in, I'm gone from Wildstorm. Cancelled because of low sales is one
> thing, turning it over to someone new when it's finally getting its
> feet under itself is another entirely.

Not only is it a creative and critical success, sales are in fact fin-
ally rising. I can't believe that Wildstorm would tear it down and re-
build it again.
I agree with your suggested response to such an action, though. If
he tries anything funny, Mr. Lee doesn't get another penny from me.

Joe Helfrich

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Michael Doran (XZY...@prodigy.com) wrote:
: CBI NEWSARAMA 4-5-97
: The project, written by former Captain America writer Jeph Loeb with art
: by Liefeld, Stephen Platt and Jon Sibal tells the story of "a great
: patriotic hero who is reactivated in order to combat the evil
: machinations of an all-powerful conglomerate known as Chapter 11".

I can't believe that no one has caught the obvious joke in the villian

name. Someone please tell me I'm not alone.

: Mile High Comics is reporting at their website that in June, MARVEL will

Oh, and now that I no longer have and friends working there....can anyone
at DC confirm the rumors of a bounty on Chuck's ponytail? :)

: - Possible new creative directions and teams for DV8, WETWORKS and
: STORMWATCH.

As others have said, Grrrrrr.

Joe
--
Joe Helfrich, Managing Editor, CPI | Space! Our final hope/throw the drowning
j...@dimensional.com | man a rope/the choice is for us to say/

Randy Lander

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

XZY...@prodigy.com (Michael Doran) wrote:

>CBI NEWSARAMA 4-5-97
>Compiled, written and edited by Michael Doran (mike-...@prodigy.com)

>CAPTAIN CATHARTIC

>Rob Liefeld is going to vent some of his frustrations over his removal
>from Marvel's HEROES REBORN project when he and Extreme Studios release
>AGENT: AMERICA on July 4th.

>The project, written by former Captain America writer Jeph Loeb with art

>by Liefeld, Stephen Platt and Jon Sibal tells the story of "a great
>patriotic hero who is reactivated in order to combat the evil
>machinations of an all-powerful conglomerate known as Chapter 11".

>The character’s first appearance will actually be in the upcoming Extreme

>event mini-series Judgment Day written by Alan Moore shipping in May and
>June.

I had hope that Judgment Day would clear out the childish, anti-Marvel

stuff that clogged much of Image's early continuity. (Nothing can save
Larsen's corner of the universe from it, you've just got to ignore and
focus on the fun stuff). Sadly, Alan Moore and Liefeld are introducing
it. It wouldn't be as bad if they'd at least not named the bad guys
Chapter 11.

>-JIM LEE will create and pencil and brand new series.

Let's refocus our existing titles and get some direction. Oh, and
while we're at it, I'm bored with all my old toys and I'm going to
make a new one.

>- Possible new creative directions and teams for DV8, WETWORKS and
>STORMWATCH.

If Ellis is gone from Stormwatch after the amazing story he's turning

in, I'm gone from Wildstorm. Cancelled because of low sales is one
thing, turning it over to someone new when it's finally getting its
feet under itself is another entirely.

rwla...@io.com<*>
My Home Page:http://www.io.com/~rwlander
This Post contains the opinions of one Randy Lander.
Had it been the biblical truth, your bushes would be
on fire.

andrew (MELBOURNE)

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

Joe Helfrich (j...@dimensional.com) wrote:
: Michael Doran (XZY...@prodigy.com) wrote:
: : The project, written by former Captain America writer Jeph Loeb with art
: : by Liefeld, Stephen Platt and Jon Sibal tells the story of "a great
: : patriotic hero who is reactivated in order to combat the evil
: : machinations of an all-powerful conglomerate known as Chapter 11".

: I can't believe that no one has caught the obvious joke in the villian

: name. Someone please tell me I'm not alone.

Joke...? I don't... Joke? Huh? I... Hmmm. Joke? What? I...
um... Joke?

--Andrew "Yes, It's Freaking Obvious" Melbourne
Andrew Melbourne (215) 417-VENT PO BOX 962
-jack-of-trades- melb...@sas.upenn.edu 3910 Irving Street
available at-> http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~melbourn Philadelphia, PA 19104

BSSeal

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

j...@dimensional.com (Joe Helfrich) writes:

> Michael Doran (XZY...@prodigy.com) wrote:
>: CBI NEWSARAMA 4-5-97

>: The project, written by former Captain America writer Jeph Loeb
>: with art by Liefeld, Stephen Platt and Jon Sibal tells the story of
>: "a great patriotic hero who is reactivated in order to combat the evil
>: machinations of an all-powerful conglomerate known as Chapter 11".
>
> I can't believe that no one has caught the obvious joke in the villian
> name. Someone please tell me I'm not alone.

I had assumed that the entire article relating to the new Liefeld project
was a belated April Fool's joke. Man, I hope I wasn't wrong.

Brian
--
"This is simply my own surmise, resulting, no doubt
from a jaundiced view of human nature." -- Alan Moore

David Burdett

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

I second -- er, third the below. Of course, it's an empty threat, since
1) I very rarely buy anything from Wildstorm other than Ellis' Stormwatch
anyway; and
2) Throwing away a creative team like this, if it really happens, is
probably going to be enough to make me quit this entire medium in
frustration. If they ditch Ellis from Stormwatch it will prove to me that
it's impossible to make a truly adult superhero comic book on any sort of
long-term basis.

Damn, this really makes me angry. What are these people thinking? --Dave
Burdett

> > If Ellis is gone from Stormwatch after the amazing story he's turning
> > in, I'm gone from Wildstorm. Cancelled because of low sales is one
> > thing, turning it over to someone new when it's finally getting its
> > feet under itself is another entirely.

David Francis Smith

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

In article
<Pine.A41.3.95b.97040...@dante21.u.washington.edu>,
David Burdett <d...@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> I second -- er, third the below. Of course, it's an empty threat, since
> 1) I very rarely buy anything from Wildstorm other than Ellis' Stormwatch
> anyway; and
> 2) Throwing away a creative team like this, if it really happens, is
> probably going to be enough to make me quit this entire medium in
> frustration. If they ditch Ellis from Stormwatch it will prove to me that
> it's impossible to make a truly adult superhero comic book on any sort of
> long-term basis.
>
> Damn, this really makes me angry. What are these people thinking? --Dave
> Burdett

Well, we don't need to get too mad yet, seeing as how little firm info
has come out. Which is the point of the header. Are there any WS-folks
with net access willing to calm our palpitating fears? I know Mr. Heisler,
the EIC, showed up on alt.comics.image a while back, for example.

C.

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

On 7 Apr 1997 01:16:30 GMT, XZY...@prodigy.com (Michael Doran) wrote:

To the humour and reality impared..

Captain America, Issues 7, 8, and 9 were originally to be a tale of
Cap fighting alongside Nick Fury and his Howlin' Comandos in the 40's.
THis was to be plotted by Liefeld, scripted by Loeb, and Pencilled by
Stephen Platt with framing sequences by Liefeld.

The issues in question were apperantly finished too, and then WHAM
Liefeld gets canned. So, Rob's got three books worth of stuff that's
finished and paid for. What does he do? He releases it, and throws a
bit of a humourous slant on it at that.

Since Alan Moore was already intoroducing the "American Agent" in the
"Judgement Day" crossover, you just do some re-inking and do a
"search|replace" on the script and Voila! No copyright infringement.

Actually, I think these issues might just be some damned funny stuff
when they come out. When was the last good marvel parody?

At any rate, I hope this clears up some confusion. Buh-bye.

C.
(Wondering if he can take a crack and re-writing the Avengers pages
that Ian Churchil had finished)

>CAPTAIN CATHARTIC
>
>Rob Liefeld is going to vent some of his frustrations over his removal
>from Marvel's HEROES REBORN project when he and Extreme Studios release
>AGENT: AMERICA on July 4th.
>
>The project, written by former Captain America writer Jeph Loeb with art
>by Liefeld, Stephen Platt and Jon Sibal tells the story of "a great
>patriotic hero who is reactivated in order to combat the evil
>machinations of an all-powerful conglomerate known as Chapter 11".
>
>Says Liefeld, "I loved working on Captain America and I'm ecstatic at the
>opportunity to work on yet another all-American hero. When creating
>Agent: America, we were clearly inspired by other classic patriotic
>heroes such as Joe Simon and Jack Kirby's The Fighting American and
>Archie Comics The Shield," he adds.
>
>The character’s first appearance will actually be in the upcoming Extreme
>event mini-series Judgment Day written by Alan Moore shipping in May and
>June.

+I Can Be Contacted At....
+cr...@servtech.com
+http://www.servtech.com/public/cro2
+or lean out your window and scream.
+I'll hear.

Jacquelyn Schnoop

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

In <yyrkoon-0804...@cs243-7.student.washington.edu>

yyr...@u.washington.edu (David Francis Smith) writes:

> Well, we don't need to get too mad yet, seeing as how little firm
>info has come out. Which is the point of the header. Are there any
>WS-folks with net access willing to calm our palpitating fears? I
>know Mr. Heisler, the EIC, showed up on alt.comics.image a while back,
>for example.

Mike Hiesler recently said in the CompuServe Comics Forum that some
changes are planned. However, he didn't give any specifics. I still
doubt that Warren Ellis will go off the book. Perhaps a new artist? I
dunno.

-Jackie

Michael Doran

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Mike Heisler is on record as saying sales on STORMWATCH are still low,
and not really growing. He's said the orders on the LEE issue aren't
significantly better.

He also hints that some kind of change is on the way.

Updates when I get it..

m.
CBI NEWSARAMA

David Burdett

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

Michael, 1) Thanks for your e-mail.
2) Could it be that the hinted-at change is actually just a radically
unexpected change in the STORYLINE (i.e., killing off/adding several
characters), in which case, if Ellis is to be at the helm, I'd be totally
down with it? Sounds like this ain't it, unfortunately. But maybe so.
Give us a little more dope, since you seem to be the guy who's got
Heisler's actual statement.

Thanks --D.

Kevin Maroney

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

In article <5icbof$q16$2...@quasar.dimensional.com>,
Joe Helfrich <j...@dimensional.com> wrote:
>: - Possible new creative directions and teams for DV8, WETWORKS and
>: STORMWATCH.

Possible? Well, the writer is leaving DV8 in three months--I'd say that's
pretty damn near certain as a candidate for a new creative team and a good
bet of a new direction.

But Ellis was just starting to hit his stride on _Stormwatch_. The last
three issues have been first-rate comics. (The earlier were generally one
small notch below first-rate.)
--
Kevin J. Maroney|k...@panix.com|Proud to be a Maroney|Proud to be a Yonker
At night, the ice weasels come. --F. Nietzche

Michael Doran

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

David, Mike's reply didn't say much, I pretty much passed along the jist
of what he said.

It should also be noted (but make no assumptions) that Warrn Ellis has
seen my news post. He posted a note on a different subject on the
NEWSARAMA thread on CompuServe.

He's seen the reaction. He hasn't commented...

m.
CBI NEWSARAMA

David Francis Smith

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

In article <5ik692$12d$3...@nntp-2.io.com>, rwla...@io.com (Randy Lander) wrote:

> I'd still buy it if Ellis remains with a different artist, but it
> would be a shame, as Raney is one of the best artists at Wildstorm and
> I'd hate to see him replaced with a Lee-clone.
>
> Charest doing the style he's adopted lately on WildCATs would be an
> acceptable substitute.

I dunno. Charest does figures well, but Raney's faces are far, far
better.

Colonel Sir David Francis Smith, yyr...@u.washington.edu

"This is a symbol of my discontent!"

-Nick Cave, on a chunk of Cheddar cheese

Bryant Durrell

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

In article <5ik692$12d$3...@nntp-2.io.com>, Randy Lander <rwla...@io.com> wrote:
>I'd still buy it if Ellis remains with a different artist, but it
>would be a shame, as Raney is one of the best artists at Wildstorm and
>I'd hate to see him replaced with a Lee-clone.
>
>Charest doing the style he's adopted lately on WildCATs would be an
>acceptable substitute.

You know, I kind of liked Pete Woods on the fill-in; he's a touch too
cartoony to fit the ominous tone of the book, but only a touch. Am I
alone in my opinion, here?

Randy Lander

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

tea...@ix.netcom.com(Jacquelyn Schnoop) wrote:

>> Well, we don't need to get too mad yet, seeing as how little firm
>>info has come out. Which is the point of the header. Are there any
>>WS-folks with net access willing to calm our palpitating fears? I
>>know Mr. Heisler, the EIC, showed up on alt.comics.image a while back,
>>for example.

>Mike Hiesler recently said in the CompuServe Comics Forum that some
>changes are planned. However, he didn't give any specifics. I still
>doubt that Warren Ellis will go off the book. Perhaps a new artist? I
>dunno.

I'd still buy it if Ellis remains with a different artist, but it
would be a shame, as Raney is one of the best artists at Wildstorm and
I'd hate to see him replaced with a Lee-clone.

Charest doing the style he's adopted lately on WildCATs would be an
acceptable substitute.

jse...@ime.net

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

:
: THE GRAPELINE (a.k.a. the Rumor Mill)

:
: Look for a some shuffling of the creative teams for Marvel’s STAR TREK
: line of books. In addition to changes in creators, the shuffling could
: also include the reformatting of certain titles and a line-wide crossover
: in the coming months.

It's about time. First and foremost, get Howard Weinstein away
from DS9 (and see if Daffyd Ab Hugh has any interest in writing comics)!
If he's under contract, install him as the scripter for TOS or Voyager,
since that seems to be what he was trying to write with the latest DS9
issue anyways. Secondly, use any means necessary to get Peter David to
write for these books (if I remember correctly, TNG is his forte).
Thridly, leave Early Voyages alone. And last but not least, please make
sure the "Star Trek: What If?" book is good-maybe this is where David
should be, more or less giving him carte blanche to do whatever he damn
well pleases with the Trek Universe.

patdo...@aol.com

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

In article <5ipkit$e6$3...@news.ime.net>, jse...@ime.net () writes:

>Secondly, use any means necessary to get Peter David to
>write for these books (if I remember correctly, TNG is his forte).

Peter has said, more than once, that he's not interested in writing ST comics
these days.

Ciaran John McGrath

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

So far as I know, Raney is leaving, but Ellis is definitely staying.
Then again, there's a possibility than Marvel may be handing him
something appealing (Hellstorm perhaps?) in their sudden rush to
(re-)accquire top talent.

Oh, and for my own edification, on one of the alternate covers for the
Jenny Sparks issue of Stormwatch, the one with the little "featured this
issue" circles, is the bottom head Warren Ellis'?

Thanks.

Ciaran J. McGrath - I don't know what I'm talking about so there's no
reason you should either.

David Francis Smith

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

In article <5irk32$g...@web3.tcd.ie>, mcgr...@tcd.ie (Ciaran John McGrath)
wrote:

> Oh, and for my own edification, on one of the alternate covers for the
> Jenny Sparks issue of Stormwatch, the one with the little "featured this
> issue" circles, is the bottom head Warren Ellis'?

Yep. For a while, the drawing was on the front page of Mr. Ellis' web-
site, accompanied by the legend "That Tom Raney, he's a bastard, he is."
What I want to know, though, is whether Mr. Ellis really has green hair :).

Colonel Sir David Francis Smith
yyr...@u.washington.edu
Survivor of the 1992-1993 Transition School

Rachel K. Warren

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

Michael Doran (XZY...@prodigy.com) wrote:
> CBI NEWSARAMA 4-5-97
> Compiled, written and edited by Michael Doran (mike-...@prodigy.com)

> The feature is an answer to criticisms of Marvel's sometimes confusing

> and convoluted continuity. According to Mile High, this feature will
> begin in June with some select titles and will then gradually expand to
> other titles.

> In order to cover costs of the extra cover pages, the price of Marvel's
> $1.95 comics will be raised to $1.99.

Why not just use those freaking useless extra pages that Marvel said were
going to be useful to the reader, when in fact they aren't?

> -The GRIFTER series will be canceled and he will return to the cast of
> WILDC.A.T.S.

Hurrah.

> -JIM LEE will create and pencil and brand new series.

Gee, why can't he just pencil the old series he created, _WildCats_?

> Mike Wieringo will not be working Mark Waid's "Life History of the Flash".
> Wieringo had to drop out of the project and will be replaced by Gil Kane.

Why?

Rachel K. Warren warr...@jmu.edu http://sys12.cs.jmu.edu/homes/warrenrk/
"Don't drink and park. Accidents cause people."

michael w cross

Apr 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/14/97

On 13 Apr 1997 jse...@ime.net wrote:

> Michael Doran (XZY...@prodigy.com) wrote:
> : CBI NEWSARAMA 4-5-97

> :=20

> : THE GRAPELINE (a.k.a. the Rumor Mill)

> :=20
> : Look for a some shuffling of the creative teams for Marvel=92s STAR TRE=
K=20
> : line of books. In addition to changes in creators, the shuffling could=
=20
> : also include the reformatting of certain titles and a line-wide crossov=
er=20
> : in the coming months.
>=20
> =09It's about time. First and foremost, get Howard Weinstein away

> from DS9 (and see if Daffyd Ab Hugh has any interest in writing comics)!

I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, so maybe somebody that is can confirm this,=
=20
but I could swear that I read Daffyd Ab Hugh _IS_ Peter David. In fact I=
=20
know I read this, whether it is true or not is a different story. =20
Anybody,

=09=09=09=09=09

=09=09=09=09=09Michael W. Cross

NEW: check out my web page (still under construction) at:
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~m-cross/index.htm

"Good will always triump over evil, because evil is bad, and good=20
......isn't!"=09--the Tick

> If he's under contract, install him as the scripter for TOS or Voyager,
> since that seems to be what he was trying to write with the latest DS9

> issue anyways. Secondly, use any means necessary to get Peter David to
> write for these books (if I remember correctly, TNG is his forte).=20

> Thridly, leave Early Voyages alone. And last but not least, please make
> sure the "Star Trek: What If?" book is good-maybe this is where David
> should be, more or less giving him carte blanche to do whatever he damn
> well pleases with the Trek Universe.

>=20
>=20

Shane Chung

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

: (Michael Doran) writes:

: <much, much stuff and junk snipped>

: >- Possible new creative directions and teams for DV8, WETWORKS and
: >STORMWATCH.
: ^^^^^^^^^^

: I kinda doubt that one. Warren Ellis has been on record saying that
: they'd have to pry that title out of his cold, dead fingers. I tend to
: believe him, but what do I know?

Actually, Stormwatch is cancelled as of #50. Tom Raney is supposed to be
taking over DV8 as of #15 and Warren Ellis will launch a new title, which
I'm assuming will feature characters from Stormwatch. I can't remember
where I read this, but apparently it's a part of the "New Horizons"
thingie that Wildstorm is doing to trim the fat off of their line. Other
stuff that I remember reading are: Grifter is cancelled and he'll rejoin
WildCATS, Blacklash ends after #32 and he'll be featured in a new book
called WildCORE (Bret Booth is on the creative team, but I don't remember
in what capacity, Probably pencils/plot) and the other thing I remember
is them saying Jim Lee will return to do an all-new ongoing title. This
leads me to believe that he'll be working on a title with Warren Ellis,
seeing as how he's going to be launching a new title and the art team
wasn't announced. This is just what I remember reading somewhere folks,
I'll verify it as soon as possible, but until then take it however you want.

Shane

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

On Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:51:57 -0500, michael w cross
<m-c...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, so maybe somebody that is can confirm this,

>but I could swear that I read Daffyd Ab Hugh _IS_ Peter David. In fact I

>know I read this, whether it is true or not is a different story.

>Anybody,

Omigod. I gotta tell Dafydd (one F, two Ds) this. He'll either break
up completely or be mortally offended.

He's not Peter David. Really truly. He's Dafydd ab Hugh. He's the
author of a bunch of books (including novels based on the game DOOM)
and stories (including the Hugo nominee "The Coon Rolled Down and
Fractured His Larinks, A Squeezed Novel By Mr. Skunk"). Lives in
South Central L.A. Fanatic libertarian. Had a different name as a
kid, had it legally changed many years ago. Hangs out on Genie, where
he drives other people up the wall with his multi-screen rants on
various subjects.

TOUCHED BY THE GODS: Hardcover, Tor Books, November 1997
The Misenchanted Page: http://www.sff.net/people/LWE/ Updated 2/7/97
Beyond Comics at Lakeforest Mall, Gaithersburg MD is now open!

Jeremy Kareken

Apr 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/15/97

: <m-c...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:

: South Central L.A. Fanatic libertarian. Had a different name as a

: kid, had it legally changed many years ago. Hangs out on Genie, where
: he drives other people up the wall with his multi-screen rants on
: various subjects.

He changed it TO a Welsh name?! Well that's interesting. That's like
Geraldo Rivera, I s'pose...

Yours etc,
/\
| |
_\/ /\ /_ /\ ____
/ / \_\/_/ /__\/__/ / /__/__/
\/ /
---/
Jeremy Kareken (Formerly Dafydd ap Lllewellenn)
http://idt.net/~karekenj

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Apr 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/16/97

On 15 Apr 1997 14:23:11 GMT, Jeremy Kareken <kare...@IDT.NET> wrote:

>In rec.arts.comics.misc Lawrence Watt-Evans <lawr...@clark.net> wrote:
>: On Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:51:57 -0500, michael w cross
>: <m-c...@students.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
>: South Central L.A. Fanatic libertarian. Had a different name as a
>: kid, had it legally changed many years ago. Hangs out on Genie, where
>: he drives other people up the wall with his multi-screen rants on
>: various subjects.
>
>He changed it TO a Welsh name?! Well that's interesting. That's like
>Geraldo Rivera, I s'pose...

His mother's Welsh, and there were already two other writers with his
original name, which was David something. (I think I remember the
last name, but I'm not sure.)

TOUCHED BY THE GODS: Hardcover, Tor Books, November 1997

The Misenchanted Page: http://www.sff.net/people/LWE/ Updated 4/16/97