LSH AOL Chat with T. McCraw and J. Moy - 2/28/95

Johanna Draper

Mar 1, 1995, 9:55:30 AM3/1/95
In article <troyesq.4...@indirect.com>,
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
>Imra is *not* the person who is going to lose her powers in the LSH annual.
>The comment that it might be Ayla was met with the response - "You're
>getting cold."

Yeah! Rah! My faith in the creative team might be restored!

>The LSH/Superboy crossover starts in Superboy #17. It will affect how
>the Legionnaires pair off into couples.

Do all of them have to?

>Tom and Jeff would really like to see a line of Legion action figures.
>[Tom and I argued as to whether there should be 3 separate Lu figures.
>He wants one figure that pulls into 3 women.]

And how does he plan to make that work?

>Tom indicated that the death rule in the pre-reboot Legion constitution
>will be examined after the L* annual. [Adding "[hint]" after his comment.]

Death rule? What death rule? "You can't be an active member if you're
dead"?

>We'll be seeing old aliens. [This is a comment that Jeff made. I couldn't
>tell _when_ we'd be seeing old aliens, or exactly what he meant.]

So the 80-year-old Daxamite is still a possibility? :)

>The LSH will possibly crossover in the upcoming company-wide "Underworld"
>crossover.

Blech. I'm not sure crossovers are a good idea for them.

Johanna

John, the Myriad

Mar 1, 1995, 10:53:58 AM3/1/95
In article <3j21t2$f...@netnews.upenn.edu>, dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu
(Johanna Draper) wrote:

> >Tom indicated that the death rule in the pre-reboot Legion constitution
> >will be examined after the L* annual. [Adding "[hint]" after his comment.]
>
> Death rule? What death rule? "You can't be an active member if you're
> dead"?

the rule that says, if you kill someone, then you're out! period.
regardless of the circumstance. so, a legionnaire's going to kill
someone. hmm.....
> Johanna
john

Doug Atkinson

Mar 1, 1995, 1:33:48 PM3/1/95
> In article <troyesq.4...@indirect.com>,
> T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

> >Tom indicated that the death rule in the pre-reboot Legion constitution
> >will be examined after the L* annual. [Adding "[hint]" after his comment.]
>
> Death rule? What death rule? "You can't be an active member if you're
> dead"?

Maybe he means the "no killing" rule.

> >The LSH will possibly crossover in the upcoming company-wide "Underworld"
> >crossover.
>
> Blech. I'm not sure crossovers are a good idea for them.

I'm positive they're not. Can anyone think of a time, apart from
Crisis, that getting into a company-wide crossover produced a good story?
(The Millenium x-over bit big-time, the "Bloodlines" tie-in only served to
prove that when T&M wanted to make a teenage character annoying they didn't
mess around, and the less said about ZERO HOUR the better...)
--Doug (I've said it before, I'll
say it again: getting
the LSH too closely tied
to 20th C continuity is
what caused trouble the last
time. Does no one read
Santayana any more?)

tek...@vnet.ibm.com

Mar 1, 1995, 4:04:28 PM3/1/95
In <3j21t2$f...@netnews.upenn.edu> dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu (Johanna Draper) writes:
>In article <troyesq.4...@indirect.com>,
>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>>We'll be seeing old aliens. [This is a comment that Jeff made. I couldn't
>>tell _when_ we'd be seeing old aliens, or exactly what he meant.]
>
>So the 80-year-old Daxamite is still a possibility? :)

How about a 2000+ year old Daxamite? 8-)

Vic Vitek

---> These do not necessarily reflect the views of IBM, my family, my
pets, or any sane person.

tek...@vnet.ibm.com

Mar 1, 1995, 4:06:34 PM3/1/95
In <3j21t2$f...@netnews.upenn.edu> dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu (Johanna Draper) writes:
>In article <troyesq.4...@indirect.com>,
>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>>We'll be seeing old aliens. [This is a comment that Jeff made. I couldn't
>>tell _when_ we'd be seeing old aliens, or exactly what he meant.]
>
>So the 80-year-old Daxamite is still a possibility? :)

How about a 1000+ year old Daxamite? 8-)

(Okay, so I missed by 1000 years, that's pretty close at that age.)

Kevin Chang

Mar 1, 1995, 7:59:45 PM3/1/95
In article <troyesq.4...@indirect.com>, tro...@indirect.com (T.
Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

> AOL Legion chat takes place every Tuesday night/afternoon at 6:00 p.m.
> EST. Occaisional guests include Mark Waid, Tom Peyer, Tom McCraw,
> Jeff Moy and KC Carlson.

Hmm...maybe it's time for that whole "first ten hours free" thing. :)

> Imra is *not* the person who is going to lose her powers in the LSH annual.
> The comment that it might be Ayla was met with the response - "You're

> getting cold." Zoe was also mentioned as a possibility. [Speculator
> corner - Based on trying to read between the lines of what was actually
> said, I think that it will probably be Zoe. But you may remember that
> I'm the lamebrain who incorrectly told you that Mon-El was coming back
> a few weeks ago.]

So maybe Zoe _is_ going to be the new Emerald Empress. I'm not sure that
I'd like that, though. The best Fatal Five, IMHO, are the five most
dangerous, vicious criminals in the galaxy. Mano was already made kind
of sympathetic. Having the Emerald Empress be an ex-Legion member would
be too debilitating to the real terror that the Fatal Five implies. If
anything, Zoe has tried hard so far to be the most likable member of the
Legion (though I'm not sure if the readers have really warmed up to her
yet; if anything, maybe she shouldn't try quite so hard).

> LSH #70 is a Laurel/Brainy spotlight.

Cool. I like what they've done with Laurel so far. If certain old
romances are inevitable, I'm glad to see that it's Laurel/Brainy (and,
naturally, Jo and Tinya). As long as Laurel's xenophobia doesn't feed
off Brainy's snobbishness. I think both characters are gonna warm up
sometime soon, though.

> Garth is still interested in finding Mekt. They're going to wrap up
> his problems real soon. ["Soon," as always, being a relative term.]

Just a little side note: Since I first started reading Legion as a kid,
the lightning beasts have always terrified me. Garth's little dream
sequence in LSH recently kinda got under my skin. They always reminded
me of rondors, too.

> Lu will fall for someone and have her heart broken.

This could be really well done, especially in the interesting light
they've been casting Luornu's triple personality recently. I wonder who
she falls for without Chuck around...

-Kevin

Marc Singer

Mar 1, 1995, 11:46:13 PM3/1/95
In article <minerva.cis.yale.e...@td-college-kstar-node.net.yale.edu>,
Kevin Chang <minerva.cis.yale.edu> wrote:

>So maybe Zoe _is_ going to be the new Emerald Empress. I'm not sure that
>I'd like that, though. The best Fatal Five, IMHO, are the five most
>dangerous, vicious criminals in the galaxy. Mano was already made kind
>of sympathetic. Having the Emerald Empress be an ex-Legion member would
>be too debilitating to the real terror that the Fatal Five implies. If
>anything, Zoe has tried hard so far to be the most likable member of the
>Legion (though I'm not sure if the readers have really warmed up to her
>yet; if anything, maybe she shouldn't try quite so hard).

Mano might be a little sympathetic, but he's something else now, to a degree
which he never was before: dangerous. Very, very dangerous. And truly
one of the galaxy's five worst criminals.

Oh, the powers are no worse, what matters is the *reputation.* The only
flaw of the original Fatal Five -- and it was a small one -- was that we
hadn't seen these dangerous criminals at all before their first appearance.
Presumably, we will now see each member (or most of them) before he/she/it
joins the Fatal Five, and that will make all the difference... I like it
a lot.

I will confess that I don't quite enjoy the psychotic Mano as much as
the Giffen-Bierbaum "Eternal Footman" (and five points to the first contestant
to i.d. that reference). But he makes a better villain to launch the Fatal
Five, since he no longer has a "fifth wheel" history to play off of.

As for Zoe becoming the Emerald Empress... I don't know. I'd hate to see
her go "Cera Kesh," and I never really liked the whole "eye controls empress"
bit. At the very least, it's a better way to develop a character than it
is to start one.

Now, I'd *really* love to see them recreate the Kent Shakespeare fight on
Quarantine to reintroduce Persuader, but sadly, I don't see it happening. :(

>> Lu will fall for someone and have her heart broken.

Luckless in any continuum? First Superboy, now Valor, now...

But, also on the Triad front... SPOILERS:

I'm glad they bucked continuity, surprised us, and saved Lu's third body!
Great job!

Marc

Michael A. Chary

Mar 2, 1995, 12:11:41 AM3/2/95

In a previous article, minerva.cis.yale.edu (Kevin Chang) says:

>In article <troyesq.4...@indirect.com>, tro...@indirect.com (T.
>Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

spoilers

>> Lu will fall for someone and have her heart broken.
>
>This could be really well done, especially in the interesting light
>they've been casting Luornu's triple personality recently. I wonder who
>she falls for without Chuck around...

I am starting to think Brainiac 5.
--
Court Philosopher and Barbarian, Dogbert's New Ruling Class
"The BBC's trailer department keeps calling the O J Simpson case "the trial

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Feb 28, 1995, 9:00:55 PM2/28/95
Tom McCraw and Jeff Moy were the guests at AOL's Legion Chat for
Tuesday, February 28, 1995.

AOL Legion chat takes place every Tuesday night/afternoon at 6:00 p.m.
EST. Occaisional guests include Mark Waid, Tom Peyer, Tom McCraw,
Jeff Moy and KC Carlson.

TYPICAL DISCLAIMERS - Take this with a grain of salt. All of it is
subject to change and/or being wrong.

By request, this report is being sent to Legion-L, Omnicom-List and
rec.arts.comics.misc. Each report is the same. I apologize to those
of you who have to put up with it 3 times.

And, as you may have noticed in prior weeks, I will repeat things that
the creators have said in previous chats if they say it again. (Did
that make sense?)

We gave the Spoiler Challenge by giving the old Spoiler Space and the
new, improved Spoiler Space in side by side blind taste tests. Here's
what happened . . . .

Jeff Moy indicated his belief that L* #24 is shipping on time. (Tomorrow
as I write this.)

The way transuits work will be described in the LSH annual. It involves
ultra-sonic vibrations. (Explaining why Laurel can do the heat-vision
thing.)

Adam Hughes is doing a pin up for one of the annuals.

Jeff is currently working on the Legionnaires annual. He's drawn up
to page 20. Garth appears therein.

The end of LSH #69 was not supposed to have been included in the pages
at the NYCon. The final pages were supposed to have been yanked. To
quote Tom McCraw, "Big oops!"

About Imra's fate: Imra is said to be in good hands. They will show
one of her instructors. She will recover. [Tom added . . . "but not
for long."]

Imra is *not* the person who is going to lose her powers in the LSH annual.
The comment that it might be Ayla was met with the response - "You're
getting cold." Zoe was also mentioned as a possibility. [Speculator
corner - Based on trying to read between the lines of what was actually
said, I think that it will probably be Zoe. But you may remember that
I'm the lamebrain who incorrectly told you that Mon-El was coming back
a few weeks ago.]

Gleek was the name of the Wonder Twins' monkey on Super-Friends. [Hey!
It came up!]

They have plans for Lyle, but they're going to have to wait awhile.

LSH #70 is a Laurel/Brainy spotlight.

Garth is still interested in finding Mekt. They're going to wrap up

his problems real soon. ["Soon," as always, being a relative term.]

Tom is tinkering around with the Legion of Substitute Heroes. The
Wanderers are probably a few years off.

The LSH/Superboy crossover starts in Superboy #17. It will affect how

the Legionnaires pair off into couples. [Tom thinks Lu would fall for
Valor over the clone.] Tom wanted to dust off the old "Superboy
starring the Legion of Super-Heroes" logo to use at least inside the
issue.

Lu will fall for someone and have her heart broken.

Tom's first Legion issue (reading-wise, that is) was S/LSH #203. (He
said #204, but it was clear that it was Lyle's death that he was
referring to.)

They'll follow up with Tinya's mom.

Jeff Moy: "Look in next issue for Valor." (I doubt that means a Valor
appearance, and I don't know if he meant L* #24.)

More Legionnaires' parents will be seen in future issues.

The LSH lettercol will be back in LSH #68. [This one comes up a lot.]
Mike McAvennie will do the lettercols for both LSH and L*.

Star Boy was the representative of Xanthu that crashed off-panel before
LSH #66, and needs to recover before he joins the team.

Tom and Jeff would really like to see a line of Legion action figures.
[Tom and I argued as to whether there should be 3 separate Lu figures.
He wants one figure that pulls into 3 women.]

Tom indicated that the death rule in the pre-reboot Legion constitution

will be examined after the L* annual. [Adding "[hint]" after his comment.]

Tom pitched LSH (v4) #42 as an idea and it was accepted. The Luornu/B5
belt thing "was a bit of a problem that was dumped on [Tom]."

Gim represents Mars.

We'll be seeing old aliens. [This is a comment that Jeff made. I couldn't
tell _when_ we'd be seeing old aliens, or exactly what he meant.]

The LSH will possibly crossover in the upcoming company-wide "Underworld"
crossover.

Jeff wanted to draw the Composite Superman on the cover to L* #25
(which features a Durlan villain with the powers of all the Legionnaires),
but KC rejected the idea.

Tom would like to see Curt Swan do a Legion issue again.

In repsonse to a question about whether the Legionnaires would get to
choose their own members soon, Tom replied that the Legion "already has
friends that they'd like to see join."

We will definitely recognize 3 villains that are coming up soon. One
will be in the L* annual.

Hints given as to one of the villains: From the pre-Shooter Adventure
days and human-looking. It's not the Time Trapper. [My money's on
Lightning Lord.]

Send any comments my way.

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"Are you ready for unconditional surrender?"
--Hobbes, "Calvin and Hobbes"
LLL!

Leif Olson

Mar 2, 1995, 10:42:44 AM3/2/95

Wasn't it Star Boy who killed someone in . . . was it v1 or v2? Mark and
Tom aren't going to have him join the Legion only to get bounced out on
a little technicality like manslaughter, are they?

And why couldn't a dead person be an acive member? Driq kept going for
quite a while after his demise in Green Lantern Corps.

Leif Olson "I think I've found a new talent deep
lol...@sol.cs.trinity.edu within myself. I think I'll leave it there."

Todd VerBeek, GWM

Mar 2, 1995, 1:06:04 PM3/2/95
dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu (Johanna Draper) writes:

>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>>The LSH/Superboy crossover starts in Superboy #17. It will affect how
>>the Legionnaires pair off into couples.

>Do all of them have to?

Considering the current gender (im)balance of the team, that could be
interesting! <grin>

>>The LSH will possibly crossover in the upcoming company-wide "Underworld"
>>crossover.

>Blech. I'm not sure crossovers are a good idea for them.

I agree. Crossovers are a nuisance. 1000-year crossovers doubly so.

Cheers, Todd
"Yin and Yang. Chaos and Order. Smooth and Crunchy."

Todd VerBeek, GWM

Mar 2, 1995, 1:13:12 PM3/2/95
tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) writes:

>The LSH/Superboy crossover starts in Superboy #17. It will affect how

>the Legionnaires pair off into couples. [Tom thinks Lu would fall for
>Valor over the clone.] Tom wanted to dust off the old "Superboy
>starring the Legion of Super-Heroes" logo to use at least inside the
>issue.

This crossover I support just on historical principle. And for the
same reason, of course, I like the idea of hauling the old logo out
of storage.

>Jeff Moy: "Look in next issue for Valor." (I doubt that means a Valor
>appearance, and I don't know if he meant L* #24.)

He appears in (rather christ-like) portraits hanging on the wall.

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Mar 1, 1995, 4:53:52 PM3/1/95
Previously on r.a.c.m, Johanna Draper wrote:
>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
>>Imra is *not* the person who is going to lose her powers in the LSH annual.
>>The comment that it might be Ayla was met with the response - "You're
>>getting cold."

>Yeah! Rah! My faith in the creative team might be restored!

Don't get your hopes up! :^)

>>The LSH/Superboy crossover starts in Superboy #17. It will affect how
>>the Legionnaires pair off into couples.

>Do all of them have to?

No.

>>Tom and Jeff would really like to see a line of Legion action figures.
>>[Tom and I argued as to whether there should be 3 separate Lu figures.
>>He wants one figure that pulls into 3 women.]

>And how does he plan to make that work?

Technology left over from Mordru's Vaudeville act. (Or, I think he was being
less than dead serious.)

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"No. Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise."
--Rorschach, "The Watchmen"
LLL!

Douglas Limmer

Mar 3, 1995, 10:05:31 PM3/3/95

Draper) writes:
>In article <troyesq.4...@indirect.com>,
>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
>>Imra is *not* the person who is going to lose her powers in the LSH annual.
>>The comment that it might be Ayla was met with the response - "You're
>>getting cold."
>
>Yeah! Rah! My faith in the creative team might be restored!

It's code. Obviously, Ayla is going to lose her powers, get new ones, and
become the new "Polar Kid". :-)

[Were there any female "kids" in the LSH?]

Doug L.

Carl Fink

Mar 1, 1995, 11:00:19 PM3/1/95
In article <troyesq.4...@indirect.com>,
tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

[big snip]

>The way transuits work will be described in the LSH annual. It involves
>ultra-sonic vibrations. (Explaining why Laurel can do the heat-vision
>thing.)

(Resists temptation to use "um".) This would mean that transuits
don't work in space, you know.
--
Carl Fink ca...@panix.com CARL.FINK (GEnie)

Yeechang Lee

Mar 5, 1995, 9:53:59 PM3/5/95
Michael A. Chary <ma...@po.CWRU.Edu> says:
|spoilers

|>> Lu will fall for someone and have her heart broken.
|>
|>This could be really well done, especially in the interesting light
|>they've been casting Luornu's triple personality recently. I wonder who
|>she falls for without Chuck around...
|
|I am starting to think Brainiac 5.

You might be right. How's this; Lu-neutral (gaah, I hate that term)
falls for Valor, Lu-purple goes for Rokk, Lu-orange goes for the
guy who saved her life (Brainy), and this gets all of 'em confused?
-- _____________________________________________________________________
Yeechang Lee <yl...@columbia.edu>|Nevada Las Vegas Mission Jul'92-'94
Columbia University/New York City|Celestial Kingdom through Taco Bell

Sidne Gail Ward

Mar 5, 1995, 11:56:43 PM3/5/95

>In <3j21t2$f...@netnews.upenn.edu> dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu (Johanna Draper) writes:
>>In article <troyesq.4...@indirect.com>,
>>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>>>We'll be seeing old aliens. [This is a comment that Jeff made. I couldn't
>>>tell _when_ we'd be seeing old aliens, or exactly what he meant.]
>>
>>So the 80-year-old Daxamite is still a possibility? :)
>>

>How about a 1000+ year old Daxamite? 8-)

How about *pictures* of a 1000+ year old Daxamite? [1]

Sidne
sw...@primenet.com
sw...@agsm.ucla.edu

[1] Check out Legionnaires #24.