Peter David: Ellison suck-up

1 view

The Masked Bishop

Oct 26, 2001, 12:45:25 PM10/26/01
You would think that a writer of Peter David's stature, which is to
say his relatively large amount of fame and success in both the comics
and sci-fi worlds, would have enough sense of himself to not so
embarrassingly suck-up to the long-dying, turgid myth of Harlan
Ellison.

Harlan was, and probably still is, a damn fine writer (given that he
spends most of his time now trying to hustle royalties from
decades-old work, it's hard to assess his current craft). Like Norman
Mailer, whom he shamelessly emulates, he long-ago learned that the
best road to success in the competitive writing biz is through
notoriety and combativeness. And to give the man credit to his
instincts, he hasn't mellowed out.

But so much of Ellison's shtick is dated, juvenile posturing that has
long run its course. The recent speaking event at MIT, which David
attended as well and wrote about in CBG, is a prime example of how
lame the whole Ellison as agitator routine is getting. David doesn't
help by writing in almost-biblical tones about it all.

Gee, Harlan likes to rant at audiences. And yes, isn't Harlan so much
smarter than MIT students? Can't they all learn from him, if they'd
only try? Wow, isn't the guy in the audience who said he knew nothing
so ultimately wise? Har har, Harlan later name-drops in a restaurant
and convinces an old lady he's a director. What a card. More to the
point, what a bore.

And Peter David, who's not as great a writer but still can turn a
phrase, should really know better than to be the number one Harlan
Ellison acolyte. It's a new century guys...Harlan had his run. His
brand of in-your-face, I'm smarter than you authorial pose is just not
as funny or enervating as it once was. It has become pathetic in its
predictability and obviousness. And Peter David's sycophancy and
fawning columns about Harlan and his yucks doesn't look much better.

The Masked Bishop

Josh Brandt

Oct 26, 2001, 12:48:58 PM10/26/01
In article <7c0f795b.01102...@posting.google.com>,

The Masked Bishop <t...@c4.com> wrote:

>And Peter David, who's not as great a writer but still can turn a
>phrase, should really know better than to be the number one Harlan
>Ellison acolyte. It's a new century guys...Harlan had his run. His
>brand of in-your-face, I'm smarter than you authorial pose is just not
>as funny or enervating as it once was. It has become pathetic in its
>predictability and obviousness. And Peter David's sycophancy and
>fawning columns about Harlan and his yucks doesn't look much better.

I got the idea that they were all friends already, actually, and David gave
Ellison enough shit along the way that it didn't look to me lik ehe was
sucking up.

Where are these Peter David columns you reference?

Since the Kresge Auditorium only seems to have one set of restrooms, did you
get to enjoy the "pee near Neil Gaiman" portion of the evening? 8) That was
a bit disconcerting.

Josh
--
J. Brandt / m...@solipsism.net / mu...@sidehack.gweep.net

Pat ONeill

Oct 26, 2001, 2:35:20 PM10/26/01
>From: mu...@sidehack.sat.gweep.net (Josh Brandt)

>I got the idea that they were all friends already, actually, and David gave
>Ellison enough shit along the way that it didn't look to me lik ehe was
>sucking up.

Yes, Peter and Harlan have been friends for something like 20 years--and that
friendship includes both mutual appreciation and deprecation when appropriate.

Best, Pat

Dwayne McDuffie

Oct 26, 2001, 2:51:19 PM10/26/01

>did you
>get to enjoy the "pee near Neil Gaiman" portion of the evening? 8) That
>was
>a bit disconcerting.

Okay, I've got a celebrity urination story. At this year's San Diego Con, Kiss'
Gene Simmons comes into the bathroom, followed by a couple of overzealous fans.
Finally he can't take it anymore and tells the kids off," Do you mind? I'm
trying to take a piss!" The kids slink off. Simmons looks over at the urinals,
where comic book artist and cartoon director Denys Cowan is attending to his
business. "Do you believe those guys?," he says to Denys. "Don't I get any
privacy in the bathroom?" Denys looks up at him, says,"Hey. I'm trying to take
a piss here." After Denys finishes up and leaves without another word, Simmons
asks, "Doesn't he know who I am?"

I guess that doesn't really contribute much to the thread but i love telling
that story.

Dwayne McDuffie, Milestone Media, Inc.
http://www.dwaynemcduffie.com

Mike Caprio

Oct 26, 2001, 4:35:53 PM10/26/01
In article <10041149...@sidehack.sat.gweep.net>,
Josh Brandt <mu...@sidehack.sat.gweep.net> wrote:

>I got the idea that they were all friends already, actually, and
>David gave Ellison enough shit along the way that it didn't look to
>me like he was sucking up.

I got the impression that the previous poster didn't actually attend
the conference and was only remarking on PAD's column.

>Where are these Peter David columns you reference?

The "But I Digress" column in Comic's Buyer's Guide. PAD read an
article from it at the lecture.

Mike

Marc Fleury

Oct 26, 2001, 9:27:00 PM10/26/01
dwayn...@aol.com (Dwayne McDuffie) wrote:

>I guess that doesn't really contribute much to the thread but i love telling
>that story.

Yup. It's good enought that I'm going to steal it and pretend that it
happened to me.

--
Marc.
aa #1971

Flashfire

Oct 26, 2001, 10:18:55 PM10/26/01
Ellison was PAD's best man at his wedding, you dolt. They're very good
friends. What do you expect him to do, cut the man down?

James

-----------

Remove 'motion' from e-mail address to reply via e-mail.

Bludstone1

Oct 27, 2001, 2:12:36 AM10/27/01
Ellison was PAD's best man at his wedding, you dolt. They're very good
friends. What do you expect him to do, cut the man down? >>

No but he doesn't have to spend every thrid column or so writing about him.

Take Care

-Ray

Carl Henderson

Oct 27, 2001, 3:59:57 AM10/27/01
wolf0...@aol.commotion (Flashfire) wrote in

> Ellison was PAD's best man at his wedding, you dolt. They're very good
> friends. What do you expect him to do, cut the man down?

Ignore him. He's just some random troll trying to get a rise out of Peter
David and fans of his work. For some reason, RAC* has been attracting a lot
of "let's try to piss off Peter David so everyone sees how KEWL we are"
posts lately.

--
Carl Henderson carl.he...@airmail.net
Top 300 Report Archive http://j_carl_henderson.tripod.com/

John Thorenson

Oct 27, 2001, 5:19:08 AM10/27/01
Peter David humps lesbian kangaroos.

>Ignore him. He's just some random troll trying to get a rise out of Peter
>David and fans of his work. For some reason, RAC* has been attracting a lot
>of "let's try to piss off Peter David so everyone sees how KEWL we are"
>posts lately.

__

The Phone-a-Friends on "Millionaire" who repeat the question to others with
them are fucking morons. I hope the contestants who waste lifelines on these
pricks go home and kill them for playing a twenty-second "Telephone" game on
their dime.

Kevin J. Maroney

Oct 27, 2001, 1:05:07 PM10/27/01
On 26 Oct 2001 18:51:19 GMT, dwayn...@aol.com (Dwayne McDuffie)
wrote:

>Okay, I've got a celebrity urination story.

I met Mojo Nixon in the bathroom at one of his concerts. All I could
think of to say was, "Hey, you're that Mojo Nixon guy!" He replied,
"Nah, I'm just one a them damn lookalikes."

Since you asked.

--
Kevin J. Maroney | k...@panix.com
"Love doesn't have a point. Love *is* the point."--Alan Moore

Flashfire

Oct 27, 2001, 2:17:43 PM10/27/01
Ray:

>No but he doesn't have to spend every thrid column or so writing about him.

What PAD writes in his own column is his business. If someone doesn't like it,
don't read it. Complaining about what someone chooses to write about in his
own column is pretty damned stupid.

Jeez.

Flashfire

Oct 27, 2001, 2:18:53 PM10/27/01
Carl:

>Ignore him. He's just some random troll trying to get a rise out of Peter
>David and fans of his work. For some reason, RAC* has been attracting a lot
>of "let's try to piss off Peter David so everyone sees how KEWL we are"
>posts lately.

Yeah, I've seen his name around before, too. Well, I guess it's a good thing
in some twisted way if they're singling out PAD -- must mean he's worth the
bother to attack.

Flashfire

Oct 27, 2001, 2:19:59 PM10/27/01
Kevin:

>I met Mojo Nixon in the bathroom at one of his concerts. All I could
>think of to say was, "Hey, you're that Mojo Nixon guy!" He replied,
>"Nah, I'm just one a them damn lookalikes."

Uh, well, I got one too. Couple years ago, Art Adams and I went into the
bathroom at the same time. We just went about our business and didn't say a
word.

Steven Horton

Oct 27, 2001, 2:27:41 PM10/27/01
> On 26 Oct 2001 18:51:19 GMT, dwayn...@aol.com (Dwayne McDuffie)
> wrote:
> >Okay, I've got a celebrity urination story.
>
> I met Mojo Nixon in the bathroom at one of his concerts. All I could
> think of to say was, "Hey, you're that Mojo Nixon guy!" He replied,
> "Nah, I'm just one a them damn lookalikes."

Great googly-moogly!

-Stev, who would kill to see Mojo Nixon in concert

Elayne Riggs

Oct 27, 2001, 2:39:51 PM10/27/01
On 26 Oct 2001 09:45:25 -0700, quoth t...@c4.com (The Masked Bishop):

[anti-Ellison rant snipped]

You know, the guy doesn't even sign his real name to the post and he
expects, apparently, to be taken seriously.

Yet another reason why Peter's not coming back to rac* for a long,
long time.

- Elayne
--
www.soulmateproductions.com
remove "OSPAM" from e-mail address to reply

Dwayne McDuffie

Oct 27, 2001, 3:15:37 PM10/27/01
>I met Mojo Nixon in the bathroom at one of his concerts. All I could
>think of to say was, "Hey, you're that Mojo Nixon guy!" He replied,
>"Nah, I'm just one a them damn lookalikes."

Heh!

Flashfire

Oct 27, 2001, 3:27:53 PM10/27/01
Elayne:

>You know, the guy doesn't even sign his real name to the post and he
>expects, apparently, to be taken seriously.
>
>Yet another reason why Peter's not coming back to rac* for a long,
>long time.

When did he say this? I've seen him post here within the past month. Did I
miss something since then?

James

-----------

Remove 'motion' from e-mail address to reply via e-mail.

Elayne Riggs

Oct 27, 2001, 5:47:55 PM10/27/01
On 27 Oct 2001 19:27:53 GMT, quoth wolf0...@aol.commotion
(Flashfire):

>>Yet another reason why Peter's not coming back to rac* for a long,
>>long time.
>
>When did he say this? I've seen him post here within the past month. Did I
>miss something since then?

Yeah, hang on and let me pull it... It was in the Marvel newsgroup
during a spinoff discussion re: Bobbie Chase...

Ah, here we are. Forgot I'd cleaned out my Free Agent files, but I
grabbed this from DejaNews. The relevant portion is at the end.

From: Padguy (pad...@aol.com)
Subject: Re: Bobbie Chase no longer at Marvel?
Newsgroups: rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe
Date: 2001-09-26 22:23:59 PST

>> I say bite me, fanboy. You never worked with Bobbie Chase. I did. For a
>> decade. She was the best editor I ever worked with. Ever. And considering
>> I'd wager you never even spoke to the woman
>
>Hmm... She may have indeed have been a good person, but she sucked as an
>editor. Hence the pink slip.

And you know this because you worked with her in an editorial
capacity.

List of books, please. The titles you worked on. The editorial
meetings you attended. The plots you wrote that she had notes on.
The storylines you developed in conjunction with her. All these
things of which you have intimate, detailed knowledge that will enable
you to speak with a modicum, a scintilla, the faintest gram of
personal wisdom as to Bobbie's editorial capacity.

Please, by all means: Dazzle me with your personal knowledge.

Or how about this: How about you guys come to the realization that
you are on the outside looking in. That despite what you think, you
have ZERO IDEA of the inner workings of Marvel, ZERO IDEA of what
constitutes a good editor, and ZERO IDEA of what constitutes a good
editor beyond, "But gee, Mr. Wizard, we don't like this comic book."

A good person and a close friend of mine put in fifteen years of her
life at a company that then tossed her aside. Now I'm sure you would
just love it if you, personally, had that happen to you and a bunch of
outsiders sat around like the apes at the beginning of 2001 and jumped
up and down in joy over it.

You think you know. You don't know.

You know what? Fuck it. I mean it. Recent events have realigned
what's really important in life, and this bullshit isn't it.

I have fucking had it. I always wondered what the last straw would
be, and watching you yahoos jumping for joy about Bobbie being fired
is it. I've been an active participant since before a good number of
you could reach a keyboard, but I'm gone. I'm done. Aside from
answering questions on the alt.fan board that bears my name, I'm gone.

PAD

So you might have seen posts cross-posted from/with afpd, but other
than that, as far as I know, Peter hasn't been on rac* proper since
September 26 and has little desire to return.

- Elayne
--
www.soulmateproductions.com
remove "OSPAM" from e-mail address to reply

Flashfire

Oct 27, 2001, 6:37:47 PM10/27/01
Thanks for pulling that up, Elayne.

I'll just say 'ouch' but I definitely don't blame PAD for reacting the way he
did. I'd have probably done the same thing.

James

-----------

Remove 'motion' from e-mail address to reply via e-mail.

George Grattan

Oct 27, 2001, 6:43:18 PM10/27/01

Which is understandable, but also just a damn shame. When intelligent
participants pull out of this at times sewer-like environment, it doesn't
become any less of a sewer as a result, unfortunately.

That's not a criticism of PAD's decision, really, just a lament. He has
every right, of course, to choose what he wants to do with his time, where
he wants to participate, with whom he wants to converse, etc. etc. I just
wish he felt differently, and I can't help but wonder if some of his anger
and sadness over Chase's termination spilled over into his reaction to the
idiotic comments about it, as he had certainly endured worse than those here
in the past without feeling the need to excuse himself, and without reacting
so...vigorously. Final straw indeed, I suppose. I had hoped he would limit
his withdrawal to rac.marvel, but it seems to have been total across rac.

Sigh. It's just depressing all around, really. PAD's participation here
wasn't valuable because he was a comics creator, but because he was usually
a thoughtful, eloquent, well informed, entertaining correspondent.

Peace,

George Grattan
gra...@rcn.com

Michael Alan Chary

Oct 27, 2001, 10:23:55 PM10/27/01
In article <68qlttkd855qgf1lk...@4ax.com>,

Kevin J. Maroney <k...@panix.com> wrote:
>On 26 Oct 2001 18:51:19 GMT, dwayn...@aol.com (Dwayne McDuffie)
>wrote:
>>Okay, I've got a celebrity urination story.
>
>I met Mojo Nixon in the bathroom at one of his concerts. All I could
>think of to say was, "Hey, you're that Mojo Nixon guy!" He replied,
>"Nah, I'm just one a them damn lookalikes."
>
>Since you asked.

I saw Buddy Guy urinating once at his blues club in Chicago. He had
"Wendy" tattooed on his penis, but I didn't have the guts to ask him if
he'd been suckered by an ex-girlfriend. *rimshot*

Mike Chary
"Welcome to Jamaica and have a nice day"

--
Mike Chary, Court Philosopher and Barbarian, DNRC
"I bought the Star Trek chess set and the Civil War chess set. Now I have

Bludstone1

Oct 28, 2001, 2:13:08 AM10/28/01
Yeah, I've seen his name around before, too. Well, I guess it's a good thing
in some twisted way if they're singling out PAD -- must mean he's worth the
bother to attack.

James>>

Maybe PAD is just starting to develop an army of mindless, automaton,
followers.

"Ignore him. He is a fool. Peter can do no wrong. We all know that. We are
legion."

Take Care

-Ray

Herbert Andress

Oct 28, 2001, 10:11:41 AM10/28/01
On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:39:51 GMT, elayne...@verizonospam.net
(Elayne Riggs) wrote:

>On 26 Oct 2001 09:45:25 -0700, quoth t...@c4.com (The Masked Bishop):
>
>[anti-Ellison rant snipped]
>
>You know, the guy doesn't even sign his real name to the post and he
>expects, apparently, to be taken seriously.
>
>Yet another reason why Peter's not coming back to rac* for a long,
>long time.

Something tells me that was just an empty threat (promise?). I bet
he's back on within a year, and will come up with some lame-ass reason
why he didn't stay true to his word.

Elayne Riggs

Oct 28, 2001, 10:35:20 AM10/28/01
On 27 Oct 2001 22:37:47 GMT, quoth wolf0...@aol.commotion
(Flashfire):

>Thanks for pulling that up, Elayne.
>
>I'll just say 'ouch' but I definitely don't blame PAD for reacting the way he
>did. I'd have probably done the same thing.

Just so. Of course it's kind of sad that it seems like he did it in
reaction to a looney who claims to be up on what's going on in comics
but has never heard of Neil Gaiman!, but I suspect the truth is more
that it was a cumulative effect and the LT jackass was the proverbial
straw that broke the camel's back.

- Elayne
--
www.soulmateproductions.com
remove "OSPAM" from e-mail address to reply

Flashfire

Oct 28, 2001, 12:47:12 PM10/28/01
Ray:

>Maybe PAD is just starting to develop an army of mindless, automaton,
>followers.
>
>"Ignore him. He is a fool. Peter can do no wrong. We all know that. We are
>legion."

Or, maybe not.

James

-----------

Remove 'motion' from e-mail address to reply via e-mail.

Flashfire

Oct 28, 2001, 12:48:51 PM10/28/01
Herbert:

>Something tells me that was just an empty threat (promise?). I bet
>he's back on within a year, and will come up with some lame-ass reason
>why he didn't stay true to his word.

I get the feeling you're mistaking him for John Byrne.

Josh Brandt

Oct 28, 2001, 3:59:50 PM10/28/01
In article <20011028021308...@mb-cm.aol.com>,
Bludstone1 <bluds...@aol.com> wrote:

>Maybe PAD is just starting to develop an army of mindless, automaton,
>followers.

No, but he seems to have developed an army of irritating trolls.

Josh
--
J. Brandt / m...@solipsism.net / mu...@sidehack.gweep.net

Herbert Andress

Oct 28, 2001, 9:02:29 PM10/28/01
On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 20:59:50 +0000 (UTC), mu...@sidehack.sat.gweep.net
(Josh Brandt) wrote:

>In article <20011028021308...@mb-cm.aol.com>,
>Bludstone1 <bluds...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>Maybe PAD is just starting to develop an army of mindless, automaton,
>>followers.
>
>No, but he seems to have developed an army of irritating trolls.

Where is the recruiting office for that army? I'm curious what their
benefits are.

John Thorenson

Oct 30, 2001, 5:28:01 AM10/30/01
>Something tells me that was just an empty threat (promise?). I bet
>he's back on within a year, and will come up with some lame-ass reason
>why he didn't stay true to his word.

Thanks for continuing to propogate the atmosphere that caused Peter David (and
untold dozens of other creators) to stay the fuck away from these newsgroups. I
can't thank you enough for opening your asshole-like mouth and making the mood
around here so vile that no one involved in the medium would ever dare stay
around here for more than the five minutes it takes them to see what a bunch of
cunts populate these boards. I implore you to take your attitude over to one of
the cons and speak this way to the creators in person, if only so after you get
your shit knocked out of you, we won't have to hear from you at least until you
come out of traction.

John Thorenson

Oct 30, 2001, 5:48:08 AM10/30/01
>and sadness over Chase's termination spilled over into his reaction to the
>idiotic comments about it, as he had certainly endured worse than those here
>in the past without feeling the need to excuse himself, and without reacting
>so...vigorously

And he shouldn't have to put up with the aging, sexless, vitriolic assholes who
make this newsgroup such a pit. I can't believe how many of these dickless
fuckwits drive off the creators who come in here trying to converse with the
people who read their work, only to find the friendless cunts who compensate
for their shitty existences by ruining it for everyone else. It'd be nice if
more of the regulars around here took these pricks to task for it but there's
far too much passive acceptance of it. We're fortunate to be in a hobby where
the people producing the work we're fans of are semi-accessible; we're also
unfortunate that this accessibility comes with such a high price. Hopefully
Darwin will see fit to keep these human-like monstrosities from breeding (not
that they were going to get laid without paying anyway) so the species can get
better as a whole in future generations.

Herbert Andress

Oct 30, 2001, 5:47:39 AM10/30/01
On 30 Oct 2001 10:28:01 GMT, omar...@aol.com (John Thorenson) wrote:

>>Something tells me that was just an empty threat (promise?). I bet
>>he's back on within a year, and will come up with some lame-ass reason
>>why he didn't stay true to his word.
>
>Thanks for continuing to propogate the atmosphere that caused Peter David (and
>untold dozens of other creators) to stay the fuck away from these newsgroups.

Not a problem. I'm just working towards making RAC a better place.

> I implore you to take your attitude over to one of
>the cons and speak this way to the creators in person, if only so after you get
>your shit knocked out of you, we won't have to hear from you at least until you
>come out of traction.

Maybe you know something I don't, but I'm not aware of a comic creator
that could beat up a 12 year old, much less a grown man.

Mike & Carole Curtis

Oct 30, 2001, 8:22:51 AM10/30/01

"Herbert Andress" <NoticeO...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 30 Oct 2001 10:28:01 GMT, omar...@aol.com (John Thorenson) wrote:
>

> Maybe you know something I don't, but I'm not aware of a comic creator
> that could beat up a 12 year old, much less a grown man.

Hi there. My name is Mike Curtis. I write SHANDA THE PANDA and ATOMIC
MOUSE, and with my wife Carole, published 12 titles under the umbrella
SHANDA FANTASY ARTS, including LAST KISS and SHEBA.

I am a former Deputy Sheriff and Prison Guard. I have been in several riots
and robberies.

Now you are aware of a comic creator that can beat up a grown man, although
that's not currently part of my duties.

And my newsgroup server has been down for a few days, so I'm catching this
thread just now, but I hope you didn't offend Peter. He is a great writer,
a wonderful advocate of creator rights, and nice guy besides.

Mike Curtis
Publisher
SHANDA FANTASY ARTS

Herbert Andress

Oct 30, 2001, 8:38:36 AM10/30/01
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 07:22:51 -0600, "Mike & Carole Curtis"
<shan...@cyberback.com> wrote:

>"Herbert Andress" <NoticeO...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 30 Oct 2001 10:28:01 GMT, omar...@aol.com (John Thorenson) wrote:
>>

>> Maybe you know something I don't, but I'm not aware of a comic creator
>> that could beat up a 12 year old, much less a grown man.
>>

>Hi there. My name is Mike Curtis. I write SHANDA THE PANDA and ATOMIC
>MOUSE, and with my wife Carole, published 12 titles under the umbrella
>SHANDA FANTASY ARTS, including LAST KISS and SHEBA.

Well, I was was talking about professional comic creators, but I guess
you'll count anyway.

>I am a former Deputy Sheriff and Prison Guard. I have been in several riots
>and robberies.
>
>Now you are aware of a comic creator that can beat up a grown man, although
>that's not currently part of my duties.

I should have been more specific - I was referring to a comic creator
that could beat someone up one-on-one. I wasn't talking about someone
that had to rely on a group of their buddies or use an object like a
billy club to beat up someone.

Flashfire

Oct 30, 2001, 10:20:46 AM10/30/01
Herbert, do us all a favor, shut the fuck up, and go find somewhere else to
troll.

Herbert Andress

Oct 30, 2001, 10:34:24 AM10/30/01
On 30 Oct 2001 15:20:46 GMT, wolf0...@aol.com (Flashfire) wrote:

>Herbert, do us all a favor, shut the fuck up, and go find somewhere else to
>troll.

So what makes my statements trolling? The fact that I hold a minority
opinion in RAC? I wasn't aware that treating Peter David like the
second coming was a requirement for posting here.

Josh Brandt

Oct 30, 2001, 10:41:25 AM10/30/01
In article <21itttcgt773351v7...@4ax.com>,
Herbert Andress <NoticeO...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>So what makes my statements trolling? The fact that I hold a minority
>opinion in RAC? I wasn't aware that treating Peter David like the
>second coming was a requirement for posting here.

Just not being an asshole is a requirement. You've managed to insult
everyone else who has participated in this thread, and while I'm sure it
makes you feel really great to be superior to everyone else in the world,
it's pretty irritating. Which, of course, you know, since that's your point.

Hooray you. Grade school was difficult for you, wasn't it?

Herbert Andress

Oct 30, 2001, 11:06:00 AM10/30/01
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:41:25 +0000 (UTC), mu...@sidehack.sat.gweep.net
(Josh Brandt) wrote:

>In article <21itttcgt773351v7...@4ax.com>,
>Herbert Andress <NoticeO...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>So what makes my statements trolling? The fact that I hold a minority
>>opinion in RAC? I wasn't aware that treating Peter David like the
>>second coming was a requirement for posting here.
>
>Just not being an asshole is a requirement.

I wasn't aware of this. Is this mentioned in the FAQ?

> You've managed to insult
>everyone else who has participated in this thread

Everyone? According to deja, this thread has 32 posts (not all
distinct authors, but still a decent number of people), and I can only
think of two people I have insulted:

- Peter David, who I admit I just don't like

- that dolt that was bragging that he was a prison guard

Am I missing anyone?

Dwayne McDuffie

Oct 30, 2001, 12:19:57 PM10/30/01
>Hi there. My name is Mike Curtis. I write SHANDA THE PANDA and ATOMIC
>MOUSE, and with my wife Carole, published 12 titles under the umbrella
>SHANDA FANTASY ARTS, including LAST KISS and SHEBA.
>
>I am a former Deputy Sheriff and Prison Guard. I have been in several riots
>and robberies.
>
>Now you are aware of a comic creator that can beat up a grown man, although
>that's not currently part of my duties.

LOL! I was going to volunteer myself as an example but never mind.

Scott Bierworth

Oct 30, 2001, 12:01:10 PM10/30/01
John Thorenson wrote:

> >Something tells me that was just an empty threat (promise?). I bet
> >he's back on within a year, and will come up with some lame-ass reason
> >why he didn't stay true to his word.
>
> Thanks for continuing to propogate the atmosphere that caused Peter David (and
> untold dozens of other creators) to stay the fuck away from these newsgroups. I
> can't thank you enough for opening your asshole-like mouth and making the mood
> around here so vile that no one involved in the medium would ever dare stay
> around here for more than the five minutes it takes them to see what a bunch of
> cunts populate these boards. I implore you to take your attitude over to one of
> the cons and speak this way to the creators in person, if only so after you get
> your shit knocked out of you, we won't have to hear from you at least until you
> come out of traction.

Or maybe it's the foul language and childish threats that make it so easy to drive
creators from the newsgroup?

R. Tang

Oct 30, 2001, 12:34:19 PM10/30/01
In article <21itttcgt773351v7...@4ax.com>,
Herbert Andress <NoticeO...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On 30 Oct 2001 15:20:46 GMT, wolf0...@aol.com (Flashfire) wrote:
>
>>Herbert, do us all a favor, shut the fuck up, and go find somewhere else to
>>troll.
>
>So what makes my statements trolling? The fact that I hold a minority
>opinion in RAC?

No. It's because you're a twit and have the manners of a two year
old.

Unfortunate combination, that....

--
-
-Roger Tang, gwan...@u.washington.edu, Artistic Director PC Theatre

Mike & Carole Curtis

Oct 30, 2001, 4:24:45 PM10/30/01

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 07:22:51 -0600, "Mike & Carole Curtis"
> <shan...@cyberback.com> wrote:
>

> >"Herbert Andress" <NoticeO...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> On 30 Oct 2001 10:28:01 GMT, omar...@aol.com (John Thorenson) wrote:
> >>

> >> Maybe you know something I don't, but I'm not aware of a comic creator
> >> that could beat up a 12 year old, much less a grown man.
> >>

> >Hi there. My name is Mike Curtis. I write SHANDA THE PANDA and ATOMIC
> >MOUSE, and with my wife Carole, published 12 titles under the umbrella
> >SHANDA FANTASY ARTS, including LAST KISS and SHEBA.
>
> Well, I was was talking about professional comic creators, but I guess
> you'll count anyway.

I guess so. What do YOU write or publish?

> >I am a former Deputy Sheriff and Prison Guard. I have been in several
riots
> >and robberies.
> >
> >Now you are aware of a comic creator that can beat up a grown man,
although
> >that's not currently part of my duties.
>
> I should have been more specific - I was referring to a comic creator
> that could beat someone up one-on-one. I wasn't talking about someone
> that had to rely on a group of their buddies or use an object like a
> billy club to beat up someone.

Sorry, never had a billy club, mace, gun etc in the prison, too easy for the
felons to get one away.

And for my last word, I didn't need any of that to break a fellow's leg.

Mike

Herbert Andress

Oct 30, 2001, 6:47:37 PM10/30/01
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 15:24:45 -0600, "Mike & Carole Curtis"
<shan...@cyberback.com> wrote:

>> >Hi there. My name is Mike Curtis. I write SHANDA THE PANDA and ATOMIC
>> >MOUSE, and with my wife Carole, published 12 titles under the umbrella
>> >SHANDA FANTASY ARTS, including LAST KISS and SHEBA.
>>
>> Well, I was was talking about professional comic creators, but I guess
>> you'll count anyway.
>>

>I guess so. What do YOU write or publish?

Well, I've never claimed to be a comics creator, professional or
otherwise. But hey, thanks for making the most obvious reply
posisble.

>> I should have been more specific - I was referring to a comic creator
>> that could beat someone up one-on-one. I wasn't talking about someone
>> that had to rely on a group of their buddies or use an object like a
>> billy club to beat up someone.
>>

>Sorry, never had a billy club, mace, gun etc in the prison, too easy for the
>felons to get one away.

So you had to rely on having the guards gang up on the inmates?

>And for my last word, I didn't need any of that to break a fellow's leg.

And you probably wonder why people say that the guards are no better
than the inmates.

Mathew Krull

Oct 30, 2001, 7:41:53 PM10/30/01
Herbert Andress wrote:

> > I implore you to take your attitude over to one of
> >the cons and speak this way to the creators in person, if only so after you get
> >your shit knocked out of you, we won't have to hear from you at least until you
> >come out of traction.
>
> Maybe you know something I don't, but I'm not aware of a comic creator
> that could beat up a 12 year old, much less a grown man.

I only met the man once, but I'm fairly certain Hart Fisher could pound the snot out
of almost any comic fan. Most he could take without breaking a sweat.

--
Bring bin Laden back to the U.S. for trial, then stick him in a hardcore
American jail along with the lifers and the sex offenders and let them

-Grant Morrison from his column "Fallen Empires: Bombs and Magic"

Flashfire

Oct 30, 2001, 8:17:35 PM10/30/01
Herbert:

>So what makes my statements trolling? The fact that I hold a minority
>opinion in RAC? I wasn't aware that treating Peter David like the
>second coming was a requirement for posting here.

If you really have to ask that, you'll never accept the answers. Judging by
your replies so far, you're already at that point.

Looks like killfile fodder to me.

Herbert Andress

Oct 30, 2001, 8:20:55 PM10/30/01
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:41:53 -0600, Mathew Krull <mkr...@cfu.net>
wrote:

>Herbert Andress wrote:
>

>> > I implore you to take your attitude over to one of
>> >the cons and speak this way to the creators in person, if only so after you get
>> >your shit knocked out of you, we won't have to hear from you at least until you
>> >come out of traction.
>>
>> Maybe you know something I don't, but I'm not aware of a comic creator
>> that could beat up a 12 year old, much less a grown man.
>
>I only met the man once, but I'm fairly certain Hart Fisher could pound the snot out
>of almost any comic fan. Most he could take without breaking a sweat.

I got to thinking that maybe Jack Chick could be the exception to this
rule. He's a pretty big guy, and rumor has it that gin makes him
mean.

Michael Alan Chary

Oct 30, 2001, 10:03:01 PM10/30/01
In article <9rmoar$idc$1...@nntp3.u.washington.edu>,

R. Tang <gwan...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>In article <21itttcgt773351v7...@4ax.com>,
>Herbert Andress <NoticeO...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>On 30 Oct 2001 15:20:46 GMT, wolf0...@aol.com (Flashfire) wrote:
>>
>>>Herbert, do us all a favor, shut the fuck up, and go find somewhere else to
>>>troll.
>>
>>So what makes my statements trolling? The fact that I hold a minority
>>opinion in RAC?
>
> No. It's because you're a twit and have the manners of a two year
>old.
>
> Unfortunate combination, that....

No, no, he hjas the manners of an adult. Nobody is more self-centered,
egotistical and cursed with a sense of entitlement than somebody who has
managed to live to age 29.

Jeremy Henderson

Oct 30, 2001, 10:45:00 PM10/30/01
> According to deja, this thread has 32 posts (not all
>distinct authors, but still a decent number of people), and I can only
>think of two people I have insulted:
>
>- Peter David, who I admit I just don't like
>
>- that dolt that was bragging that he was a prison guard
>
>Am I missing anyone?

You insulted every single comics creator.

"Maybe you know something I don't, but I'm not aware of a comic
creator that could beat up a 12 year old, much less a grown man."

Jeremy Henderson, "Way too clever for this newsgroup."

Boring stories by a boring man can be found at
http://www.storymania.com/cgibin/sm2/smshowauthorbox.cgi?page=1&author=HendersonJL

Message has been deleted

Kurt Onstad

Nov 1, 2001, 8:55:40 PM11/1/01
dwayn...@aol.com (Dwayne McDuffie) wrote...
> Okay, I've got a celebrity urination story.

(snip)

> I guess that doesn't really contribute much to the thread but i love telling
> that story.

Well, it's been almost two years since I posted something (Hi, guys.
Miss me?), so I might as well start with a urination story...

Back when I worked for a syndicated radio company, interviewing
celebrities, I had the opportunity to talk to Shaquille O'Neal to
promote his latest rap album. I go to A&M Records, and set up my
equipment on this little table, and I wait. In walks Shaq, who shakes
my hand, and asks, "So, what did you think of the album?" and then
immediately walks to the bathroom next to this room. He closes the
door before I had a chance to formulate a response other than "Umm,"
then I stop. I hear him peeing (it's falling from quite a distance,
so it's very loud), and then he says "Go ahead, I can hear you."
Truthfully, I hated the album, so I play diplomatic and say "Well, to
be honest, I'm not the biggest fan of rap, but there were a couple of
songs on there that really caught my attention." He comes out of the
bathroom, and the interview goes along as normal.

I get back to work the next day, and my boss asks me, "What did you
say to Shaq?" I'm like, "Huh?" She tells me that before I showed up
that morning, Shaq's agent called and said that the very first thing
that I told Shaq was that I hated rap and that there were only two
good songs on the album.

This is why I don't talk to people while they're peeing...

Kurt Onstad
Oh yeah, I'm back...

Matthew High

Nov 1, 2001, 10:11:06 PM11/1/01
<< So what makes my statements trolling? The fact that I hold a minority
opinion in RAC? I wasn't aware that treating Peter David like the
second coming was a requirement for posting here.

Naw, just because you're acting like a shithead. That's reason enough.

- Matthew, who dislikes the Pompous Peter David.
----------
"Matt! Come into the light" "No! I like the darkness!"
Distributor/Retailer Liaison Radio Comix http://www.radiocomix.com
Promotion/Sales Cold Cut Distribution http://www.coldcut.com

Vic Meisner

Nov 4, 2001, 12:58:13 PM11/4/01
Herbert Andress wrote:

> Maybe you know something I don't, but I'm not aware of a comic creator
> that could beat up a 12 year old, much less a grown man.

At least he admits to being much less than a grown man.

Vic

Elayne Riggs

Nov 4, 2001, 10:13:18 PM11/4/01
On Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:34:24 -0600, quoth Herbert Andress
<NoticeO...@hotmail.com>:

>On 30 Oct 2001 15:20:46 GMT, wolf0...@aol.com (Flashfire) wrote:
>
>>Herbert, do us all a favor, shut the fuck up, and go find somewhere else to
>>troll.
>
>So what makes my statements trolling? The fact that I hold a minority
>opinion in RAC?

Actually, the name you've chosen for your fake e-mail address is a
pretty big clue.

You may not read anthropomorphic comics, but your ignorance doesn't
mean Mike Curtis isn't a comics pro. It just means he's a pro you
personally haven't heard of.

- Elayne
--
www.soulmateproductions.com
remove "OSPAM" from e-mail address to reply

Russell Simmons

Nov 5, 2001, 6:10:09 AM11/5/01
On Sun, 04 Nov 2001 17:58:13 GMT, Vic Meisner <vmei...@home.com>
wrote:

I know you think that you are being witty, but please stop - you just
look like an asshole.

John Thorenson

Nov 6, 2001, 5:26:04 AM11/6/01
>I know you think that you are being witty, but please stop - you just
>look like an asshole.

Far less than you unfortunately. Keep trying, dipshit.

Tom Vincent

Nov 6, 2001, 6:05:34 PM11/6/01
On 06 Nov 2001 10:26:04 GMT, omar...@aol.com (John Thorenson) wrote:

>>I know you think that you are being witty, but please stop - you just
>>look like an asshole.
>>

>Far less than you unfortunately. Keep trying, dipshit.

Hush up fool or I will killfile you until you squeal.

David E. Powell

Nov 6, 2001, 9:33:59 PM11/6/01
Actually, a writer supporting another writer that got screwed -
especially one that has said some vitriolic stuff about cartain
powerful Hollywood folks - is an example of rare courage in the
industry IMO.

DEP

Sort of like some of the stuff Piper has said in Bret Hart's defense.
Or some of the nice things that Perry Saturn has said about Benoit,
etc.

BTW, I wonder how Ellison or David would book Monday Night Raw....
would David have the new Commisioner (Regal) tell the old
Commisioner's valet (Debra)to put on a real uniform/outfit instead of
a bunny suit? Would Ellison bring back the New Breed from WCW to save
the new timeline, by ripping necklaces off their opponents during
matches? The possibilities to ponder....

John Thorenson

Nov 7, 2001, 3:22:32 PM11/7/01
>Actually, a writer supporting another writer that got screwed -

Ellison didn't get screwed no matter how much your wrist wishes he did.

O. Deus

Nov 7, 2001, 3:48:32 PM11/7/01

avid E. Powell wrote in message
<75aae3b6.01110...@posting.google.com>...

>Actually, a writer supporting another writer that got screwed -
>especially one that has said some vitriolic stuff about cartain
>powerful Hollywood folks - is an example of rare courage in the
>industry IMO.

Actually it's an example of rather commonplace whining and posturing by
people who are neither as contraversial or as moral as they would like their
fans to believe

David E. Powell

Nov 7, 2001, 11:52:24 PM11/7/01
"O. Deus" <od...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<9sc6n0$r...@dispatch.concentric.net>...

So are there any other folks you could point to there as example, in
SF or wrestling? Maybe someone that complained about conspiracies when
Intercontinental titles were on the line, or Hollywood Babylon? Or
maybe it was a genuine effort by Mr. David, like with JMS' quest to
become his own producer?

White 1979 Ford Mustang

Nov 8, 2001, 7:03:49 PM11/8/01
On 07 Nov 2001 20:22:32 GMT, omar...@aol.com (John Thorenson) wrote:

>>Actually, a writer supporting another writer that got screwed -
>
>Ellison didn't get screwed no matter how much your wrist wishes he did.

Hey, whatever happened to you letting Peter David nail you up the ass?
Was it fun?