Trots and Bonnie by Shary Flenniken

VictorWong

Mar 17, 2001, 12:05:16 AM3/17/01

Does anyone know if a collection of this strip was ever made ?
If not, does anyone know if one is planned.

Thanks,
Victor

Robert Kennedy

Mar 17, 2001, 12:26:46 AM3/17/01

"VictorWong" <vawo...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if a collection of this strip was ever made ?
> If not, does anyone know if one is planned.

Bookfinder.com lists the following books by Shary Flenniken:

Seattle laughs: comic stories about Seattle
Blood-Lust Chickens & Renegade Sheep: A First Timer's Guide to Country
Living
How to Live Without Electricity - & Like It
Nice Guys Sleep Alone: Dating in the Difficult Eighties
When a Man Loves a Walnut

I think the opportunity to publish a Trots & Bonnie compilation peaked about
20 years ago. There is a National Lampoon Funny Pages anthology out there
with lots of primo T&B, if you can find it at the used book store.

T. "Rufus" Frazier

Mar 17, 2001, 5:35:56 AM3/17/01

I really wish there were a "Trots and Bonnie" compilation. Along
with Bobby London's "Dirty Duck".

hbrandt

Mar 17, 2001, 6:23:56 AM3/17/01
> I really wish there were a "Trots and Bonnie" compilation. Along
> with Bobby London's "Dirty Duck".

Seconded! Also, was there ever a Jeff Jones "Idyll" collection?

/hal, at least glad we've got all the Bode' stuff from NatLamp collected

Neil4161

Mar 17, 2001, 7:35:50 PM3/17/01
<< Subject: Re: Trots and Bonnie by Shary Flenniken
From: hbrandt hbr...@NOmilehigh.net
Date: Sat, Mar 17, 2001 6:23 AM

> I really wish there were a "Trots and Bonnie" compilation. Along
> with Bobby London's "Dirty Duck".

Seconded! Also, was there ever a Jeff Jones "Idyll" collection?

Yes, there was in the '70s or '80s of "Idyl," I think. I have a copy, but it's
not available to me at the moment. It's a bit expensive now from what I know.

Neil

Neil

GrapeApe

Mar 17, 2001, 8:24:29 PM3/17/01
Was Shary art director at NatLamp for a while? I remember issues where it
seemed she had 22 or more pages.

Mark Evanier

Mar 17, 2001, 8:37:54 PM3/17/01
On 18 Mar 2001 01:24:29 GMT, grap...@aol.comjunk (GrapeApe) posted:

>Was Shary art director at NatLamp for a while? I remember issues where it
>seemed she had 22 or more pages.

ME: Shary was a full-fledged editor of NATIONAL LAMPOON for a time.

To answer the initial query from this thread: No, there has never been
a TROTS & BONNIE collection. About 10-15 years ago, a publisher was
ready to do one and I helped her put together a list of proposed
contents and I think I may even have written a foreword...but as often
happens, things fell through. Last time I saw her, she was still
willing to do one if it could be done right. Maybe we should all
bombard the publishers who put out such things and demand it.

------------------------------
NOW ONLINE: www.evanier.com
A website about comic books, cartoons, TV,
movies, Groo the Wanderer, Broadway, Las
Vegas, Hollywood and possums in my back yard.

Kevin J. Maroney

Mar 18, 2001, 1:12:58 AM3/18/01
On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 01:37:54 GMT, Mark Evanier <m...@evanier.com> wrote:
>To answer the initial query from this thread: No, there has never been
>a TROTS & BONNIE collection.

I seem to recall Bart Beaty mentioning that there was a _T&B_
collection in French in the 1990s. (Bart correctly identified this as
tremendously ironic, more ironic even than the fact that the French
language reprints of Patrick McDonnell's _Mutts_ are vastly superior
to the English versions.)

But I don't know any more details.

--
Kevin J. Maroney | kmar...@ungames.com
"Love doesn't have a point. Love *is* the point."--Alan Moore

Laurent Lehmann

Mar 18, 2001, 11:42:58 AM3/18/01
On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 01:12:58 -0500, Kevin J. Maroney
<kmar...@ungames.com> wrote in message
<7th8bt4uftap9piu2...@4ax.com> :

> I seem to recall Bart Beaty mentioning that there was a _T&B_
> collection in French in the 1990s.

Yup, Glénat/Comics USA published _Trots & Bonnie_ in 1990, which
followed another collection of Flenniken stories, _Sex & Amour_,
published in 1989. I dont remember if T&B appear in this one as well.

--
Laurent

Erwin Heinek

Mar 18, 2001, 12:16:22 PM3/18/01

Mark Evanier wrote:

> On 18 Mar 2001 01:24:29 GMT, grap...@aol.comjunk (GrapeApe) posted:
>
> >Was Shary art director at NatLamp for a while? I remember issues where it
> >seemed she had 22 or more pages.
>
> ME: Shary was a full-fledged editor of NATIONAL LAMPOON for a time.
>
> To answer the initial query from this thread: No, there has never been
> a TROTS & BONNIE collection. About 10-15 years ago, a publisher was
> ready to do one and I helped her put together a list of proposed
> contents and I think I may even have written a foreword...but as often
> happens, things fell through. Last time I saw her, she was still
> willing to do one if it could be done right. Maybe we should all
> bombard the publishers who put out such things and demand it.

I would think that if the numbers for the Little Annie Fanny collection were
good then Dark Horse would be a good home for a T & B collection.

Erwin

Clay Peterson

Mar 18, 2001, 1:31:40 PM3/18/01
On Sun, 18 Mar 2001, Kevin J. Maroney wrote:

> I seem to recall Bart Beaty mentioning that there was a _T&B_
> collection in French in the 1990s. (Bart correctly identified this as
> tremendously ironic, more ironic even than the fact that the French
> language reprints of Patrick McDonnell's _Mutts_ are vastly superior
> to the English versions.)

I don't know what Trots and Bonnie is, but I'm not asking about that.

What I'm asking is this: How are the French language reprints of Mutts
superior to the English versions? And, how is this ironic?

I love Mutts, but I've only seen English versions of it. (The daily
strip and the book collections.) I think the collected forms are pretty
good, myself.

Clay

----------
Why is it that the people who want the federal government to be run like a
business whine and cry when it turns a profit?

GrapeApe

Mar 18, 2001, 10:37:15 PM3/18/01
>What I'm asking is this: How are the French language reprints of Mutts
>superior to the English versions? And, how is this ironic?

I'll guess that printing quality and completeness of compilation might be where
the superiority might fall, as well as French being a superior language. The
irony is that the strip is actually in English and Jerry Lewis is a genius, but
the bourgious Americans do not realize this.

Kevin J. Maroney

Mar 19, 2001, 12:46:56 PM3/19/01
Clay Peterson <dpe...@emory.edu> wrote:
>What I'm asking is this: How are the French language reprints of Mutts
>superior to the English versions?

I don't remember all of the details, but the printing and presentation
were superior and the Sunday strips were presented in color. (I
believe they were re-colored for the reprint volumes.)

>And, how is this ironic?

It's ironic in that the presentation of the strip is better in
translation than in its native tongue.

--
Kevin J. Maroney | Unplugged Games | kmar...@ungames.com

Mike & Carole Curtis

Mar 20, 2001, 8:22:39 AM3/20/01

"Mark Evanier" <m...@evanier.com> wrote in message

> On 18 Mar 2001 01:24:29 GMT, grap...@aol.comjunk (GrapeApe) posted:
>
> >Was Shary art director at NatLamp for a while? I remember issues where it
> >seemed she had 22 or more pages.
>
> ME: Shary was a full-fledged editor of NATIONAL LAMPOON for a time.
>
> To answer the initial query from this thread: No, there has never been
> a TROTS & BONNIE collection. About 10-15 years ago, a publisher was
> ready to do one and I helped her put together a list of proposed
> contents and I think I may even have written a foreword...but as often
> happens, things fell through. Last time I saw her, she was still
> willing to do one if it could be done right. Maybe we should all
> bombard the publishers who put out such things and demand it.

Sounds interesting.....could you have her get in touch with it? We'd be
willing to discuss it.

Thanks

Mike Curtis
SHANDA FANTASY ARTS