To Kurt Busiek: Youngblood: Genesis

PMstopper1

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
Kurt, I know you've stated that you've got nothing to do with the revamp of
Youngblood and that if anything Liefeld is using your old scripts for the
proposed Year One mini that never came out but do you know that you're actually
solicited in Previews as the writer of the book?

He's given you full writer's credit and to think he's not even doing the art in
the book. Some guy named Eric Walker is pencilling. Have you been informed of
this yet?

KurtBusiek

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
>>Kurt, I know you've stated that you've got nothing to do with the revamp of
Youngblood and that if anything Liefeld is using your old scripts for the
proposed Year One mini that never came out but do you know that you're actually
solicited in Previews as the writer of the book?>>

Well, that's just classy as hell, isn't it?

The most they've got from me is three plots. No scripts.

>>He's given you full writer's credit and to think he's not even doing the art
in the book. Some guy named Eric Walker is pencilling. Have you been informed
of this yet?>>

Nope.

kurt
The SUPERSTAR Ashcan, by Busiek & Immonen, is now available online, at the
ApeNation Trading Post! Plus: Check out SHOCKROCKETS and other Gorilla comics
FREE at the site!
http://www.apenation.com/

ShadZ

Aug 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/28/00
In article <20000828115514...@ng-ff1.aol.com>,

kurtb...@aol.comics (KurtBusiek) wrote:
> >>Kurt, I know you've stated that you've got nothing to do with the
> revamp of Youngblood and that if anything Liefeld is using your old
> scripts for the proposed Year One mini that never came out but do you
> know that you're actually solicited in Previews as the writer of the
> book?>>
>
> Well, that's just classy as hell, isn't it?
>
> The most they've got from me is three plots. No scripts.

Maybe it's incompentence, not malace. Maybe they haven't hired
a scripter yet . . .

--
Shad Z. ^Q^
(Sh...@rocketmail.com,Sh...@uswestmail.net,jacka...@go.com)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Nic Goodchild

Aug 28, 2000, 7:14:44 PM8/28/00
Maybe Rob Liefeld is creatively and morally bankrupt enough to know no-one
left at his pissant little company could carry the book and make anyone
order it, so he attached a name that would sell to it?
At least we never got to see him paint the book as was threatened at one
point.

--
Nic Goodchild
E-Mail: selb...@btinternet.com
"ShadZ" <sh...@rocketmail.com> wrote in message

Omarichu

Aug 28, 2000, 8:34:02 PM8/28/00
>Maybe Rob Liefeld is creatively and morally bankrupt enough to know no-one
>left at his pissant little company could carry the book and make anyone
>order it, so he attached a name that would sell to it?

It's pretty pathetic when you're so unbelievably jealous of another's state in
life that you express such juvenile vitriol. I guess it's nice to realize that
everyone sees you for what a fucking prick you are, what with this being a
*public* newsgroup. Good job, fuckwit. Now FOAD.

---

"But let's face it: sisters are like dogs. They're nice to pet once in a while
and eat dog food but then you just want to get rid of them and put them out in
the backyard. I mean, that's basically how I feel about sisters in general."

Nic Goodchild

Aug 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/29/00
Generally speaking I wish people all the best. I think it is important that
Neil Gaiman has accomplished what he has even though I don't particularly
care for his work. He has done a lot in earning comics recognition and new
readers. previously I have not particularly cared for Rob Liefeld's work (I
will not comment on his numerous creative steals) but I have avoided it. But
there are times when he takes over a comic that I have enjoyed, often for a
number of years and I am torn between whether I buy it or not. Mark Waid and
Ron Garney were doing a superlative job on Captain America (some of Waid's
best ever work in my opinion) and Rob Liefeld gave us Captain Busty, a
poorly thought out Bucky and one of the most needless costume redesigns of
modern times.
Then he cheerfully wrecked Cable (did anyone see that shot of Wolverine with
his nose looking like one of the nostrils had fallen off?) and now he looks
poised to do the same on Wolverine.

And back to the original point of the thread:
I buy Kurt Busiek's work because I really do enjoy it. The first six issues
of Astro City (the Image ones) and the Confessor story arc are incredibly
good superhero comics. Shockrockets is a lot of fun. The Avengers run has
been intermittently brilliant. So if I see Kurt Busiek's name on a book I
will think of it as a brand of quality whereas I wouldn't if I saw Eric
Stephenson's name, say. And this is what Rob Liefeld will be trading on and
this is what is so dishonest.