The Hacker Files, mostly

jdr...@opie.bgsu.edu

Oct 23, 1992, 10:29:15 AM10/23/92
Responding to the which books do you read question:
The last time I regularly picked up titles, Crisis was about to begin (yeah,
those "What was Crisis?" questions make me feel old too). Since then, all of
the books I followed have been cancelled (Blue Devil and Atari Force if
anyone cares). However, recently I have begun hanging out at the comics shop
again, and I found a title that I am *very* impressed with and that evidently
only one other person on this group reads: The Hacker Files. It's written by
Lewis Shiner (author of several good sf novels) and IMHO accurately captures
the feel of the hacker subculture both in its writing and its art. The first
four issues dealt with a virus at the Pentagon (you know, those computers
that control all those lovely warheads?) and the current storyline is based
in part on the Secret Service/Steve Jackson games case. Unfortunately, the next
issue blurb talks about Green Lantern showing up, apparently to boost sales
(what else?). Part of the appeal of the book to me was its setting in the "real
world" (a paranoid world, admittedly, but that's a matter of opinion), and
bringing in superheroes will only damage that.

Anyway, if you get a chance, check it out. It deserves a much bigger audience
than it has. That title again, for the slow, is The Hacker Files.

Responding to Supes' demise:
I'm currently teaching an Intro to Popular Culture course, and we've just
gotten to the section on heroes. Reading all the various rumors/justifications/
explanations gives me great material for class, especially since our source
material apparently was written before the Man of Steel reworking. Thanks.

And a (slightly related) question:
I've been following the John Constantine/Hellblazer thread with interest,
enough so that I might actually check out the title. Someone mentioned a
character called Lady Johanna Constantine as being distantly related. Could
I get more information on her? (You'll figure out why in a minute, if you've
read this far.)

Thanks for the help and the chance to express my opinions.

Johanna
JDR...@OPIE.BGSU.EDU

Mark Boyes

Oct 23, 1992, 1:02:14 PM10/23/92

In article <1992Oct23...@opie.bgsu.edu>, jdr...@opie.bgsu.edu writes...

>Unfortunately, the next
>issue blurb talks about Green Lantern showing up, apparently to boost sales
>(what else?). Part of the appeal of the book to me was its setting in the "real
>world" (a paranoid world, admittedly, but that's a matter of opinion), and
>bringing in superheroes will only damage that.

I missed the first issue of the Hacker Files and have not caught up, but I
thought that such stock DC characters as Lex Luthor and Oracle (the former
Batgirl) had appeared. Was I misinformed, were they included so subtly you
missed their superheroic connection, or do they not wear enough lycra for you
to consider them part of the superhero genre? :-)

>Johanna
>JDR...@OPIE.BGSU.EDU

`Marky' Mark Boyes | Psychological Profile: Sesame Street's Elmo meets Sher Hite
Basement Flat | Mantra: You can dance or you can sit and stare at the floor
28 Walton St. | Mail: Mark....@reo.mts.dec.com | Kinsey rating: Nobody
Oxford, UK | Day: 0734 206708 Night: 0865 53868| knows I'm straight.

E. Kontei

Oct 23, 1992, 2:04:04 PM10/23/92
In article <1992Oct23...@opie.bgsu.edu>, jdr...@opie.bgsu.edu writes:
> However, recently I have begun hanging out at the comics shop
> again, and I found a title that I am *very* impressed with and that evidently
> only one other person on this group reads: The Hacker Files.

Make that three.

> The first four issues dealt with a virus at the Pentagon

Actually, the whole idea was loosely based on the
Great Internet Worm of 1989.

> and the current storyline is based in part on the Secret
> Service/Steve Jackson games case.

It goes farther than that. The entire thing seems to be lifted right out of
the Operation Sun Devil case, up to the phone company's document.
The part about it being a frame-up is Shiner's invention.

> Part of the appeal of the book to me was its setting in the "real

> world", and bringing in superheroes will only damage that.

Same here. But it's too late; "Oracle" is Barbara Gordon (Commisioner
Gordon's daughter), who was shot and crippled by the Joker a few years
back.

> And a (slightly related) question:
> I've been following the John Constantine/Hellblazer thread with interest,
> enough so that I might actually check out the title. Someone mentioned a
> character called Lady Johanna Constantine as being distantly related. Could
> I get more information on her? (You'll figure out why in a minute, if you've
> read this far.)

Lady Johanna Constantine was an 18th centure adventuress that dabbled in the
occult not unlike John Constantine in modern days. She had a couple of
encounters with Dream, which were chronicled in THE SANDMAN (which is, IMO,
one of the best comics published today). The only link known between
Lady Johanna and John is the similar name and physical features. They're
probably related, but we don't know that for sure.
--
E n r i q u e C o n t y
The Incredible Man-with-no-Life

Sten M. Drescher

Oct 23, 1992, 11:38:19 PM10/23/92
On Fri, 23 Oct 1992 18:04:04 GMT, co...@cbnewsl.cb.att.com (E. Kontei) said:

> Part of the appeal of the book to me was its setting in the "real
> world", and bringing in superheroes will only damage that.

Enrique> Same here. But it's too late; "Oracle" is Barbara Gordon
Enrique> (Commisioner Gordon's daughter), who was shot and crippled by
Enrique> the Joker a few years back.

In general I agree with you, but Oracle fits naturally into this
series. The new Robin doesn't fit in quite as naturally, but he is
being portrayed as something of a hacker, and he does make solo
appearances. Prestor John from Team Titans would be a natural to run
into as well, but as a new character he couldn't be seen without the
team, and that would be VERY bad.
Sten Drescher | There are men who seem like more than men.
AL/HRTI | Living examples of what we could be if we
Brooks AFB, TX 78235 | tried. They are men of courage, compassion,
-------------------------------+ and justice. On the other hand, there are
sdre...@animal.brooks.af.mil | presidential candidates.

Sten M. Drescher

Oct 23, 1992, 11:25:44 PM10/23/92
On Fri, 23 Oct 1992 14:29:15 GMT, jdr...@opie.bgsu.edu said:

Johanna> However, recently I have begun hanging out at the comics shop
Johanna> again, and I found a title that I am *very* impressed with and
Johanna> that evidently only one other person on this group reads: The
Johanna> Hacker Files. It's written by Lewis Shiner (author of several
Johanna> good sf novels) and IMHO accurately captures the feel of the
Johanna> hacker subculture both in its writing and its art. The first
Johanna> four issues dealt with a virus at the Pentagon (you know,
Johanna> those computers that control all those lovely warheads?) and
(Yes, we all know that the first thing that we do when we set up)
(a secure network is hook modems up to it. )
Johanna> the current storyline is based in part on the Secret
Johanna> Service/Steve Jackson games case. Unfortunately, the next
Johanna> issue blurb talks about Green Lantern showing up, apparently
Johanna> to boost sales (what else?). Part of the appeal of the book to
Johanna> me was its setting in the "real world" (a paranoid world,
Johanna> admittedly, but that's a matter of opinion), and bringing in
Johanna> superheroes will only damage that.

Well, I guess I make 2 other people (although I have seen some
discussion of the first four issues over on comp.virus). I agree that
it it captures the feel, but it's kinda lacking in it's accuracy, both
in the computerese and the military ends. I'm looking forward to seeing
the SS/SJ takeoff. As far as superheroes go, to me it depends on the
hero. Sarge Steel made sense in the first 4, as a military liason.
Barbara Gordon/Oracle makes sense in her future appearance, as would Tim
Drake/Robin, and maybe this new Prestor John character from Team Titans.
However, I don't see how Hal Jordan/GL fit's into the picture (but then,
I haven't picked up this weeks comics yet, so maybe they worked it in
properly).

David M LaMacchia

Oct 24, 1992, 4:49:20 AM10/24/92
In article <1992Oct23...@opie.bgsu.edu> jdr...@opie.bgsu.edu writes:
>again, and I found a title that I am *very* impressed with and that evidently
>only one other person on this group reads: The Hacker Files. It's written by
>Lewis Shiner (author of several good sf novels) and IMHO accurately captures
>the feel of the hacker subculture both in its writing and its art.

Actually, I've been told (at least here in Boston) that The Hacker Files
is doing a lot better than predicted....It's getting very tough to find
(and NOT because of limited ordering. In fact, the closest comics shop
to me has started ordering more of them because of demand).

I hope this isn't just a 12 issue limited series, because it has a lot
of potential.

--dave

P.S. And at least *this* comic with a GrimJack look-alike is worth reading!
(obvious feelings about Ravage 2099 deleted)

Jon Hughes

Oct 25, 1992, 2:15:55 PM10/25/92
I loved reading the Hacker Files whenever the new issue got in. The
sense of paranoia is well done (and dovetails nicely with Sneakers, IMHO),
and the science is "perfectly innacurate" (my phrase), meaning that
anyone who already knows this stuff will not learn anything new, and
those who want to learn stuff will learn nothing (or worse, learn
it wrong). [On a related note, kudos to the first person who can tell
which lines of the "virus code" (issue #3, I think) are erroneous. ;) ]

As one who also follows the Usenet Oracle, I found it funny that
Barbara Gordon's handle is "Oracle".

Jon, professional loose cannon
--
Jon Hughes | vap...@prism.gatech.edu | "As your elf touches the gold
------------+--------------------------+ doorknob, 45,000 Volts of

Sten M. Drescher

Oct 25, 1992, 8:55:42 PM10/25/92
On 25 Oct 92 19:15:55 GMT, vap...@prism.gatech.EDU (Jon Hughes) said:

Jon> As one who also follows the Usenet Oracle, I found it funny that
Jon> Barbara Gordon's handle is "Oracle".

Barbara has been going by 'Oracle' ever since the Joker shot her
in the spine. She did it in secret for a while (sending e-mail to
various computer literate heroes), but at least a few of the heroes (and
villians) know who she is now because of her work with Suicide Squad.

Sten Drescher | There are men who seem like more than men.
AL/HRTI | Living examples of what we could be if we
Brooks AFB, TX 78235 | tried. They are men of courage, compassion,
-------------------------------+ and justice. On the other hand, there are
sdre...@animal.brooks.af.mil | presidential candidates.

Looking for Marvel Masterpieces promo cards - email with offers.

Andrew Symons Troth

Oct 27, 1992, 1:35:23 AM10/27/92
As far as I know, no one except Barbara Gordon herself knows that she is Oracle.
When she actually worked with the Suicide Squad, rather than just e-mailing
them, she used an alias. They have no way of tracking her.

--AST

Tom Galloway

Oct 27, 1992, 8:46:12 AM10/27/92
In article <1992Oct27.0...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> as...@faraday.clas.Virginia.EDU (Andrew Symons Troth) writes:
>As far as I know, no one except Barbara Gordon herself knows that she is
>Oracle.

Batman definitely knows who she is. While I don't think it was ever explicitly
stated that she knew, I'd be surprised if Amanda Waller didn't know just
who Oracle is.

"You owe the Oracle a new costume to make up for the "Batgirl's Costume
Cut-Ups" story in the 60s in Detective" --Barbara Gordon as the Usenet Oracle
tyg t...@hq.ileaf.com

David Cake

Oct 28, 1992, 7:46:40 AM10/28/92
I've been reading the Hacker Files, and unless things improve I might stop very
soon. The art is very bad (but I can live with that, I'm not an art-head), the
stories contain depressingly little originality (or atleast the first one did),
being rehashses of stories I knew already (from the media and unsenet and
Couckoos Egg). Basically, I think Lewis Shiner is writing on automatic, and
should start putting some real effort in.
I expected better from him. I'll stick around for an issue or two, but
not much more.
Did I recall from a previous issue that at one stage Lewis Shiner said
that he would put in how to contact him over the net? I can't wait. A chance
to offer some real thoughts to the author.
I don't think the odd superhero character would hurt it that badly. IF
John Constantine can co habit with super heroes, hey, so can Hacker.
One of the things that pisses me off about it is him calling himself
Hacker, BTW. I would interpret this from a fellow usenetter as indicating
monumental ego problems, and I didn't think his were that bad.

--
David Cake |life is easily understood as bit strings with logical
[WLM] Weird Little Man |depth greater than their length - Rebis, Doom Patrol