Thoughts on Seagle in UXM #350 (Un-Spoiled)

Aaron S. Veenstra

Oct 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/30/97

In article <3458CF60...@royalblueny.com>, "brian j. tang"
<fa...@royalblueny.com> wrote:

> This whole plot of UXM 350 was was still Lobdell's and you can blame the
> whininess on him. I'm not ready to judge Seagle's work on UXM, for another
> couple of issues.

The plot may have been Lobdell's, but the whining is in the script, which
was Seagle's. Even if the plot called for angsting it could have been
toned down a bit.

Aaron

--
Looking for high quality mind control software for your Mac?
Check out OpenMind 1.0! A demo is available from Etc. House

Marty Blase

Oct 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/30/97

<fa...@royalblueny.com> wrote:

> This whole plot of UXM 350 was was still Lobdell's and you can blame the
> whininess on him. I'm not ready to judge Seagle's work on UXM, for another
> couple of issues.

Who's whining? You had an entire issue where Rogue was pleading with
Gambit to stop rolling in self-pity and save his own sorry butt, and when
he finally *does*, she actually musters up the common sense to drop him,
shirtless, in the middle of the Antarctic wasteland and flies off without
him. I think that's probably the most personality Rogue's exhibited in
years. :)

- Blaze, who was enjoying it more before he remembered how close
the Savage Land is to Magneto's base. Still, maybe he'll get chewed
on by a couple of raptors before long, and we'll all be able to
cheer properly.

Marty Blase - mbl...@ncsa.uiuc.edu -- "What you do with the voices in
your head is your business." -- Cerebus, "High Society"
Looking for the racm.xbooks FAQ? -- http://x-page.com/texts/racmxFAQ/
The Unofficial Handbook to the X-Men -- http://x-page.com/handbook/
Check out the Uncanny X-Page Hotlist --- http://x-page.com/hotlist/

SMerri1027

Oct 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/31/97

amen to that.

-Bryce

brian j. tang

Oct 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/31/97

Ken Dreger wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 1997 00:46:01 GMT, rwla...@io.com (Randy Lander)
> wrote:
>
> >Huh. I attributed the angsting to Gambit and Rogue's character. I
> >would hope that Seagle will take them away from that, but as of now,
> >he's going with their proper (for continuity's sake) characterization.
>
> What about the Cyclops and Cannoball whining ? I would expect
> Cyclops, since he's older and has gone through numerous tough
> situations, not to be such a baby. He didn't whine like this when
> Jean died, when he lost his son etc. Just bad writing overall.

It was ugly. It was not good.

But.... this was the end of Lobdell's Arc. Lobdell left before it was
finished. Plus, this was Madureira's last issue also. So you have a guy who
has to fill in the balloons, on a book whose creative is leaving, but has the
audacity, to put together one last bad issue.

This was not Seagle's story, and he had to work with the crap he got from Mad
and Lobdell. It seems that editors even, put their hands into it. So even
though it was whiny, and there was some real stupid stuff in this issue, I find
it very hard to blame Seagle for it. He has proven to be very interesting on
Alpha Flight. Let the guy have a run on a few issues before we all crucify him.

--

One and Only Freshinator
http://silly.com/~tang

Goatboy

Oct 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/31/97

Ken Dreger wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Oct 1997 00:46:01 GMT, rwla...@io.com (Randy Lander)
> wrote:
>
> >asve...@mtu.edu (Aaron S. Veenstra) wrote:

> >>The plot may have been Lobdell's, but the whining is in the script, which
> >>was Seagle's. Even if the plot called for angsting it could have been
> >>toned down a bit.
> >
> >Huh. I attributed the angsting to Gambit and Rogue's character. I
> >would hope that Seagle will take them away from that, but as of now,
> >he's going with their proper (for continuity's sake) characterization.
>
> What about the Cyclops and Cannoball whining ? I would expect
> Cyclops, since he's older and has gone through numerous tough
> situations, not to be such a baby. He didn't whine like this when
> Jean died, when he lost his son etc. Just bad writing overall.

Cyclops whining? What are you on?
I saw that as Cyclops trying to be unselfish and save his friends by
letting himself die. Cannonball I'll give you, but not Cyc.

Goatboy
Professional Hero

Patwill9

Nov 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/1/97

I don't think Lobdell plotted UXM 350. Straight from Segal's AOL board, dated
Oct. 26:

<<I actually helped UCX350 out of being even later from what I understand. I
wrote the plot quickly (three months after the plot was due) and turned around
dialogue fairly quickly.>>

Pat Williams

S. Bearden

Nov 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/2/97

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997 06:32:08 GMT, kdr...@nisa.net (Ken Dreger) wrote:

>What about the Cyclops and Cannoball whining ? I would expect
>Cyclops, since he's older and has gone through numerous tough
>situations, not to be such a baby. He didn't whine like this when
>Jean died, when he lost his son etc. Just bad writing overall.

Give it a break! The guy has a friggin' bomb in his chest! I think
anybody with a nanotech bomb growing in their chest has the right to
whine as much and as loudly as they please.

Sam, on the other hand, was doing all of his whining in his head. Call
it self-doubt, or even self-pity, we all engage in it on a regular
basis.

Personally, I think that page should have been left out of the book.
Mainly because it was redundant having already read X-Men #70. (Though
I suppose at one time they had intended UX #350 to be released first.
Then again, Lobdell was solicited as the writer as well, wasn't he?)
But also because it was the worst of the blah filler art the Andy
Smith did to save Mad's ass.

Dvron

Alan Lewis Sauer

Nov 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/2/97

S. Bearden wrote:

: On Fri, 31 Oct 1997 06:32:08 GMT, kdr...@nisa.net (Ken Dreger) wrote:

: >What about the Cyclops and Cannoball whining ? I would expect
: >Cyclops, since he's older and has gone through numerous tough
: >situations, not to be such a baby. He didn't whine like this when
: >Jean died, when he lost his son etc. Just bad writing overall.

: Give it a break! The guy has a friggin' bomb in his chest! I think
: anybody with a nanotech bomb growing in their chest has the right to
: whine as much and as loudly as they please.

It's always nice if they don't, but they definitely are allowed to.

: Sam, on the other hand, was doing all of his whining in his head. Call

: it self-doubt, or even self-pity, we all engage in it on a regular
: basis.

Plus one of his heroes had a friggin' bomb in his chest.

Alan Sauer als...@bingen.cs.csbsju.edu
"To follow knowledge, like a sinking star,/Beyond the utmost bound
of human thought." -- from "Ulysses," by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Danny Miller

Nov 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/3/97

In article <Pine.GSO.3.96.971102231120.21994F-100000@helios>, Elizabeth
Celeste <etwi...@helios.acomp.usf.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Marty Blase wrote:
>

> > - Blaze, who was enjoying it more before he remembered how close
> > the Savage Land is to Magneto's base. Still, maybe he'll get chewed
> > on by a couple of raptors before long, and we'll all be able to
> > cheer properly.
>

> Personally, I wish it was Gambit who was about to aquire the nickname
> "Popsicle". Hopefully, even though we all know that he is going to survive
> the experience in some way shape or form, he will lose some useless
> extremities to frostbite.

Gee, I wonder which...extremities *you* have in mind, Eliz. :)

> Rendering Gambit irreversibly sterile would please me quite a bit. Then
> Candra can rescue him. And Gambit would have to spend the rest of eternity
> locked in a small room with Candra, to be used as her love slave.
> Personally, I can think of no fate more horrific.

Candra sharing Gambit with the other Externals...yecch... :P

> Elizabeth, who thinks that anything that gets rid of Gambit for a while
> can't be wrong.

I dunno..."for a while" implies he'll be *back*, so I don't know how good
that could possibly *be*...

--
Danny Miller
dami...@bu.edu

Randy Lander

Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97

kdr...@nisa.net (Ken Dreger) wrote:

>On 31 Oct 1997 17:27:01 -0700, Goatboy <mj...@primenet.com> wrote:

>>Cyclops whining? What are you on?
>>I saw that as Cyclops trying to be unselfish and save his friends by
>>letting himself die. Cannonball I'll give you, but not Cyc.

>Get out of here!

>That's whining! Do you honestly think any of the X-Men would drop him
>off somewhere so when the bomb inside him blew it wouldn't
>inconvenience them ? No. The X-Men take care of their own, so for
>Cyclops to even mention such garbage it is his version of whining...
>he should know better.

Silly me. I thought self-sacrifice was heroism, not whining.

The above are the opinions of Randy Lander. Had they been
the biblical truth, your bushes would be on fire.
rwla...@io.com <*> http://www.io.com/~rwlander