Latest Wolverine...

Jeffrey Cope

Dec 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/28/96

I enjoyed the latest issue of Wolverine, far more so than most issues
recently. It wasn't great...but I didn't feel like it was a chore to get
through.

Also, I liked Joe Bennett's work alot more than Anthony Winn who is
apparently the new penciler on the book (without any fanfare). I enjoyed
Marc Silvestri's run on the book, but I don't need to relive it through
Winn's knock off art (I know he used to work for Top Cow).

The letters page made mention of Logan using an image inducer to look
normal lately....was this ever mentioned in an actual issue, or just
their way of covering their butts because the artists screwed up?

Jeff

David Cummings

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

In article <32C5EA...@earthlink.net>, jeff...@earthlink.net wrote:
It was mentioned in one of the first issues when Wolvie went to Japan.........

PiTT

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96

I liked it to

Jeffrey Cope <jeff...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<32C5EA...@earthlink.net>...

Larry Hama

Jan 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/3/97

PiTT wrote:

> > The letters page made mention of Logan using an image inducer to look
> > normal lately....was this ever mentioned in an actual issue, or just
> > their way of covering their butts because the artists screwed up?

Absolutely. I, however, do not subscribe to the image inducer theory.

Larry Hama

Outlander

Jan 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/3/97

Tobias A. Carroll wrote:

> Larry Hama (lham...@worldnet.att.net) wrote:
> if he's using an image inducer, than why does he look normal when he's
> sitting in the backyard chatting with bishop and wearing a wifebeater
> t-shirt in xmen 59? shit, i wouldn't use one in a casual situation like
> that. ergo, he's not using one...
>
> -Toby C.

Gee Toby C., I guess you don't see the height of arrogance in dictating
your version of Logan's reality to the man who has written him for the
past ... uh, seven years [?]; the man universally regarded by Wolverine
fans as contributing some of the best writing ever done on the
character?

I can recall the image inducer being mentioned, but Larry's reply seems
to indicate that he does not agree with this theory being the whole
explanation for Logan's increasingly human appearance. Remember, the
theory you are objecting to was the one printed by the [ struggling
mightily against Tourette's Syndrome] ... gentlemen ... who answer the
Fan-chat in the back of the book, not the writer.

In other words - if I may - Logan's increasingly human appearance is not
explainable wholly by the use of the image inducer, he has in fact
re-evolved substantially from the Monster seen in Issue #100 and his
later Wolvie-wolvie-doo form seen in the issues immediately following.

This last bit is wholly speculation on my part, but it looks like what
is being hinted at is that Logan's healing factor is sort of holistic,
how it fuctions is affected by his mind. This would explain [ to SOME
degree ] the physically violent rejection of the adamamantium in issue
#100, his recovery from sure death when he needed to live to save Jean
Grey, and the fact that it has been proven to work more swiftly when
necessary for his survival [ first revealed in the Sabertooth/Wolverine
duel in the back of one of the early X-Men Classics, I believe. ]

If this is true, once Logan has made up his mind that he truly wants to
be a man, his healing factor might work to restore him to this status in
time. The scene at the end of a recent issue where he confesses this to
Electra while she is holding everybody's favorite rough-boy in her arms
is all I need to tell me that this is indeed what he wants, so it is
safe to assume that is what his healing factor would work towards.

IMHO that short scene was also one of the best, heart-wrenching Logan
moments ever, illustrating in a classic sense the tragedy at the heart
of this great character.

--
`'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.
"Get a new President." - Snake Plissken

Jeff A. Simon Express elevator to Hell, going down.
Home: <madw...@ix.netcom.com>
Business: No current address for business eMAIL
`'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.

Timothy Larson

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

In article <32CC96...@worldnet.att.net>,

Larry Hama <lham...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>PiTT wrote:
>> > The letters page made mention of Logan using an image inducer to look
>> > normal lately....was this ever mentioned in an actual issue, or just
>> > their way of covering their butts because the artists screwed up?
>Absolutely. I, however, do not subscribe to the image inducer theory.
>
>Larry Hama

Trust Larry to set the record straight. Does anyone else thing the only
purpose of lettercols is for the editors to twist things when the creative
team doesn't do exactly what they want?
BTW, what was up with the all-guest creative team on Wolvie 110? It wasn't
too bad, but I dunno where Larry and Anthony were.

Tim
sp...@courtave.net

Rod M. Leeson

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

> PiTT wrote:

> The letters page made mention of Logan using an image inducer to look
> normal lately....was this ever mentioned in an actual issue, or just
> their way of covering their butts because the artists screwed up?

Yep, it's just a cover up... should be in the X-Files.

--
'We're Star Fleet Officers, weird is part of the job' Capt K Janeway, USS
Voyager

Tobias A. Carroll

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

Okay...I just want to ssay something...my comments about this whhbole
image inducer deal were not meant to be a reply to the comments made by
Mr. Hama or anyone else, jsut my two cents on the matter....basically, I
didn't cut out the teext that preceded it, and for some people , it
appeared as if I was responding to Mr. Hama (who, IMHO, has done a really
good job on _Wolverine_).

-toby c.

Paul O'Brien

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

Larry Hama <lham...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>> > The letters page made mention of Logan using an image inducer to look
>> > normal lately....was this ever mentioned in an actual issue, or just
>> > their way of covering their butts because the artists screwed up?

>Absolutely. I, however, do not subscribe to the image inducer theory.

But Larry, it was in the dialogue. Was that added by the editors?

For that matter, what was supposed to be the dialogue on that
splash page a couple of issues ago that appeared without lettering?
Presumably it's a mistake, since there's no credits anywhere in the
issue.

Paul O'Brien
The Onslaught Index - http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~prob/index/

Irony is dead. How appropriate.

Larry Hama

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

Paul O'Brien wrote:

> >Absolutely. I, however, do not subscribe to the image inducer theory.
>
> But Larry, it was in the dialogue. Was that added by the editors?

Yep. Never was consulted about it.

> For that matter, what was supposed to be the dialogue on that
> splash page a couple of issues ago that appeared without lettering?
> Presumably it's a mistake, since there's no credits anywhere in the
> issue.

Mondo mistake. I think it happened in the separation process.

Larry

Taffy the Welshman

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

On 4 Jan 1997, Rod M. Leeson wrote:

> > PiTT wrote:
>
> > The letters page made mention of Logan using an image inducer to look
> > normal lately....was this ever mentioned in an actual issue, or just
> > their way of covering their butts because the artists screwed up?
>

> Yep, it's just a cover up... should be in the X-Files.

At the start of the recent Yukio/Amiko storyline in Japan, as Logan
stands outside the door of their flat, (on the first page.) It clearly
states he is wearing in image inducer so that he won't scare Amiko.

-Taffy.