Quite Possibly the Worst Hero Movie Casting EVAHR

Jason Todd

Apr 23, 2010, 11:36:34 AM4/23/10

rwa2play (Lost mode on)

Apr 23, 2010, 11:51:53 AM4/23/10
On Apr 23, 11:36 am, Jason Todd <janklowic...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> http://screencrave.com/2010-04-23/vanessa-hudgens-to-play-spider-woman/
>
> NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

IAWNOx13 and add another 37 NOs.

Now Kate Beckinsale OTOH: Win.

FSogol

Apr 23, 2010, 11:58:22 AM4/23/10

Who cares about Spider-Woman? It is like complaining about the casting
of Willie Lumpkin.
--
FSogol

Scott Eiler

Apr 23, 2010, 12:40:04 PM4/23/10
On Apr 23, 10:58 am, FSogol <FSo...@nospamplease.org> wrote:

> Who cares about Spider-Woman? It is like complaining about the casting
> of Willie Lumpkin.

I don't care about the casting, but the concept of a comedic Spider-
Woman seems wrong. Of course this begs the question, how *does* one
make a Spider-Woman movie that's worth paying to see?

Karolina Dean.....Unauthorized...and proud of it

Apr 23, 2010, 1:35:52 PM4/23/10
On Apr 23, 8:51 am, "rwa2play (Lost mode on)" <rwa2p...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hollywood needs the teen girls $$$$ since they got everyone
elses.....Another rule is that all superhero movies have to be at
least PG or PG-13 to get the teens to watch...

William George Ferguson

Apr 23, 2010, 2:36:57 PM4/23/10

The article doesn't specify which Spider-Woman. While all Spider-Women
have angsty stories, I could see a comedic story with Mattie Franklin
(Jessica Drew, not so much).

--
"Oh Buffy, you really do need to have
every square inch of your ass kicked."

YKW

Apr 23, 2010, 2:44:15 PM4/23/10
"Karolina Dean.....Unauthorized...and proud of it"
<jadel...@verizon.net> wrote in news:aa7509c1-fde2-4589-afe9-
85fbed...@c20g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

Thing is, Spider-Woman is supposed to be, well... curvy, and... -sexy-.
Neither of those two twig-like waifs pass muster. Spider-=GIRL=, sure,
with the lean frame and the sharp knees and elbows, but not Jess.

'Course, I can't recall the last real actress (at least, one who would
also pass the ethnicity test to play Miz Drew) to spend any time in the
business, have some athletic capacity, and still retain sufficient, ah,
zaftigosity ("bootyliciousness"?) to hit the mark. You could put a...
shoot, the cheerleader from HEROES... <frantic googling> ...

...Hayden Panettiere...

...in the suit, but it'd have to be massively padded to achieve the
desired effect. And you'd have to dye the hair. And you'd have to get the
giggle outta her voice. But you'd at least be closer to the mark.

If only Kim Kardashian could act...

--
------------------- ------------------------------------------------
|| E-mail: ykw2006 ||"The mystery of government is not how Washington||

-- The One, 14 Oct 08

rwa2play (Lost mode on)

Apr 23, 2010, 3:06:24 PM4/23/10
On Apr 23, 2:44 pm, YKW <FluffyMcNut...@foxnews.com> wrote:
> "Karolina Dean.....Unauthorized...and proud of it"
> <jadelady...@verizon.net> wrote in news:aa7509c1-fde2-4589-afe9-
> 85fbedbda...@c20g2000prb.googlegroups.com:

> >On Apr 23, 8:51 am, "rwa2play (Lost mode on)" <rwa2p...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> IAWNOx13 and add another 37 NOs.
>
> >> Now Kate Beckinsale OTOH: Win.
>
> > Hollywood needs the teen girls $$$$ since they got everyone
> > elses.....Another rule is that all superhero movies have to be at
> > least PG or PG-13 to get the teens to watch...
>
> Thing is, Spider-Woman is supposed to be, well... curvy, and... -sexy-.
> Neither of those two twig-like waifs pass muster. Spider-=GIRL=, sure,
> with the lean frame and the sharp knees and elbows, but not Jess.
>
> 'Course, I can't recall the last real actress (at least, one who would
> also pass the ethnicity test to play Miz Drew) to spend any time in the
> business, have some athletic capacity, and still retain sufficient, ah,
> zaftigosity ("bootyliciousness"?) to hit the mark. You could put a...
> shoot, the cheerleader from HEROES... <frantic googling> ...
>
> ...Hayden Panettiere...
>
> ...in the suit, but it'd have to be massively padded to achieve the
> desired effect. And you'd have to dye the hair. And you'd have to get the
> giggle outta her voice. But you'd at least be closer to the mark.

Nah, too short (5'1"). She fails.

I'm willing to say that boobage is not required to play a live-action
superheroine. Face it, just about every major superheroine has some
level of noticeable boobage. Real life however can't match up with
the comic books. So I'm willing to sacrifice boobage for a good
actress in the title role; lord knows that a Lynda Carter-type only
comes around once in a while.

> If only Kim Kardashian could act...

Yes...either as Jess or Zatanna...

--
rwa2play (Lost mode on)
Considering that, even on a reality show she fails...forget it.

Scott Eiler

Apr 23, 2010, 4:51:19 PM4/23/10
On Apr 23, 1:36 pm, William George Ferguson <wmgfr...@newsguy.com>
wrote:

> The article doesn't specify which Spider-Woman. While all Spider-Women
> have angsty stories, I could see a comedic story with Mattie Franklin
> (Jessica Drew, not so much).

They'd be rewriting Mattie's history so that she *didn't* fall in with
a drug ring that took slices of her body to put in crack pipes... Oh,
did you say "comedy"?

Scott Eiler

Apr 23, 2010, 4:53:11 PM4/23/10
On Apr 23, 1:44 pm, YKW <FluffyMcNut...@foxnews.com> wrote:

> Thing is, Spider-Woman is supposed to be, well... curvy, and... -sexy-.
> Neither of those two twig-like waifs pass muster. Spider-=GIRL=, sure,
> with the lean frame and the sharp knees and elbows, but not Jess.

Sexy, yes, but Jessica Drew isn't really all *that* curvy, at least
not compared with Ms. Marvel or the Scarlet Witch or any number of
others.

CrossfaceWalls

Apr 23, 2010, 5:32:12 PM4/23/10
On Apr 23, 11:36 am, Jason Todd <janklowic...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I guess I'm not enough of a geek to care about the casting of Spider-
Woman.

CrossfaceWalls = Just don't fuck up Captain America and Thor

Syvyn11

Apr 23, 2010, 5:39:57 PM4/23/10

"Jason Todd" <janklo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

FUCK TO THE NO!!!!

This is worse than Tiny Lister as President of Earth in "The Fifth Element".

grinningdemon

Apr 23, 2010, 5:39:49 PM4/23/10
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:40:04 -0700 (PDT), Scott Eiler
<sei...@eilertech.com> wrote:

They can't even make a Spiderwoman comic worth paying to see.

Jon

Apr 23, 2010, 6:11:05 PM4/23/10
Huh...they're running out of ideas for comic movies now.

Michael

Apr 23, 2010, 7:40:15 PM4/23/10
YKW wrote:
> "Karolina Dean.....Unauthorized...and proud of it"
> <jadel...@verizon.net> wrote in news:aa7509c1-fde2-4589-afe9-
> 85fbed...@c20g2000prb.googlegroups.com:
>

>>On Apr 23, 8:51 am, "rwa2play (Lost mode on)" <rwa2p...@gmail.com>
>>wrote:

>>>IAWNOx13 and add another 37 NOs.
>>>
>>>Now Kate Beckinsale OTOH: Win.
>>
>>Hollywood needs the teen girls $$$$ since they got everyone
>>elses.....Another rule is that all superhero movies have to be at
>>least PG or PG-13 to get the teens to watch...
>>

> Thing is, Spider-Woman is supposed to be, well... curvy, and... -sexy-.
> Neither of those two twig-like waifs pass muster. Spider-=GIRL=, sure,
> with the lean frame and the sharp knees and elbows, but not Jess.

Is this the main Marvel Universe Spider-Woman or the Ultimate Universe
Spider-Woman who would likely be tied to a new Spider-Man franchaise
since that version is a female clone of Peter Parker?

> 'Course, I can't recall the last real actress (at least, one who would
> also pass the ethnicity test to play Miz Drew) to spend any time in the
> business, have some athletic capacity, and still retain sufficient, ah,
> zaftigosity ("bootyliciousness"?) to hit the mark. You could put a...
> shoot, the cheerleader from HEROES... <frantic googling> ...

Ah there's a ton of girls who could pull it off. Not that many thought
Scarlett Johansson would pull off Black Widow and it look like she'll do
pretty well based on the trailer from IM2.

I'm just wondering "with all the characters they could use, they're
going with Spider-Woman? Really? Why? And when is the disco version
of the Dazzler movie coming?

Michael

Robert Carnegie

Apr 23, 2010, 9:01:39 PM4/23/10

In Bendis's Jessica Jones title, ALIAS. Also guest starring Jessica
Drew on this occasion.

Are we allowed to choose to believe that the characters in that story
were Skrulls?

Then again... kids do get onto drugs, and some Spider-Women have more
spider-sense than others. Maybe Mattie got to thinking that she was
invulnerable. And as far as I recall, there was this cute guy...

Dale Hicks

Apr 23, 2010, 9:40:24 PM4/23/10
In article <Xns9D637766FDD18...@69.16.185.250>,
FluffyM...@foxnews.com says...

> "Karolina Dean.....Unauthorized...and proud of it"
> <jadel...@verizon.net> wrote in news:aa7509c1-fde2-4589-afe9-
> 85fbed...@c20g2000prb.googlegroups.com:
>
> >On Apr 23, 8:51 am, "rwa2play (Lost mode on)" <rwa2p...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> IAWNOx13 and add another 37 NOs.
> >>
> >> Now Kate Beckinsale OTOH: Win.
> >
> > Hollywood needs the teen girls $$$$ since they got everyone
> > elses.....Another rule is that all superhero movies have to be at
> > least PG or PG-13 to get the teens to watch...
> >

> Thing is, Spider-Woman is supposed to be, well... curvy, and... -sexy-.
> Neither of those two twig-like waifs pass muster. Spider-=GIRL=, sure,
> with the lean frame and the sharp knees and elbows, but not Jess.
>
> 'Course, I can't recall the last real actress (at least, one who would
> also pass the ethnicity test to play Miz Drew) to spend any time in the
> business, have some athletic capacity, and still retain sufficient, ah,
> zaftigosity ("bootyliciousness"?) to hit the mark.

Jennifer Lopez jumps to mind instantly.

But I'm really not seeing a problem with Hudgens. She has curves.

--
Cranial Crusader dgh 1138 at bell south point net

Scott Eiler

Apr 23, 2010, 10:36:06 PM4/23/10
On Apr 23, 8:01 pm, Robert Carnegie <rja.carne...@excite.com> wrote:

> Scott Eiler wrote:
>
> > They'd be rewriting Mattie's history so that she *didn't* fall in with
> > a drug ring that took slices of her body to put in crack pipes... Oh,
> > did you say "comedy"?
>
> In Bendis's Jessica Jones title, ALIAS. Also guest starring Jessica
> Drew on this occasion.

*And* Speedball. Some of that story actually *was* comedic.

> Are we allowed to choose to believe that the characters in that story
> were Skrulls?

Actually, that story is the most attention I ever paid to Mattie
Franklin.

> Then again... kids do get onto drugs, and some Spider-Women have more
> spider-sense than others. Maybe Mattie got to thinking that she was
> invulnerable. And as far as I recall, there was this cute guy...

... Yeah, Mattie could make a good serious teen Spider-Woman. Now,
how will we make a good *funny* Spider-Woman story?

Lilith

Apr 24, 2010, 11:48:21 AM4/24/10

I dunno. A certain maturity? Something that says "woman" instead of
"child"? Hudgens is only 21 years old. I suppose that if they did
the revised "I was a child experiment for my parents" history.....

But Hudgens also appears to be too short to properly portray Jessica
Drew. Jessica, though not really statuesque does seem to have a
degree of substance in the height department.

--
Lilith

Rockboy

Apr 24, 2010, 11:56:41 AM4/24/10
On 23/04/2010 2:53 PM, Scott Eiler wrote:

> Jessica Drew isn't really all *that* curvy

lolwut?

M.O.R

Apr 24, 2010, 3:50:20 PM4/24/10
On Apr 23, 8:06 pm, "rwa2play (Lost mode on)" <rwa2p...@gmail.com>
> OTOH, either Ellen Page or Amber Tamblyn as Mary Marvel: WIN.- Hide quoted text -

Kim Kardashian cannot act, and has no use whatsoever. She is famous
for a sex tape, and that is it.

But come on, reading the list of potential actresses to play Spider-
Woman, reminds me that there is, literally, no current suitable
actress to play the role.

Hayden Panetierre is becoming increasingly lesser known and
uninteresting as Heroes continues to slide down the viewer and quality
scale. No matter how much changes on the show, the quality remains
poor.
Plus her movies, such as Beth Cooper, all bombed.
Vanessa Hudgens movies, outside of HSM, have also all bombed, her last
did not even scrape into the top 10.

So the likely thing is that this is a rumour. Studios want to make
money, and Hudgens is not bank.

M.O.R

Apr 24, 2010, 3:52:56 PM4/24/10
On Apr 23, 4:51 pm, "rwa2play (Lost mode on)" <rwa2p...@gmail.com>
wrote:

KB is too old for possible franchise. The casting choices are
incredibly limited in terms of casting the role. There just are not
that many suitable actresses, and even less with acting talent.

Michael

Apr 24, 2010, 10:47:25 PM4/24/10

You add in hair coloring, making any girl one dark brunette, and the
numbers increase.

I think what you're looking for is an athletic but not anorexic girl of
about mid-20s age who can do the action scenes and can act as well as
needed. She should look european, though scripting can tinker with that
a little.

Michael

Pat O'Neill

Apr 25, 2010, 6:25:03 AM4/25/10
On Apr 23, 2:44 pm, YKW <FluffyMcNut...@foxnews.com> wrote:

> 'Course, I can't recall the last real actress (at least, one who would
> also pass the ethnicity test to play Miz Drew) to spend any time in the
> business, have some athletic capacity, and still retain sufficient, ah,
> zaftigosity ("bootyliciousness"?) to hit the mark.

Catherine Zeta-Jones...but she's getting too old for it now.

Robert Carnegie

Apr 27, 2010, 9:24:38 PM4/27/10

Really? There's a /lot/ of actresses around.

Is it feasible to develop Spider-Woman as comedy? Including her
origin? Clearly they're thinking of Jessica Drew. Parents are super-
villains... yeah. They pulled that one off in the _Austin Powers_
series, why not here?

(But play down the domestic killing.)

On the other hand, is the non-comics audience going to be puzzled if
Spider-Man doesn't show up in the story?

Maybe he's the cousin who gives her a radioactive blood transfusion?

Maybe he stays in costume the entire time?

As for Nick Fury and SHIELD - well, Ultimate Universe Nick Fury wanted
to have Spider-Man as a SHIELD agent. And he doesn't, but he has the
next best thing by the end of the story.

And then the AVENGERS movie reveals Spider-Woman was a Skrull the
entire time.

grinningdemon

Apr 27, 2010, 9:54:04 PM4/27/10

I like the character but I've always been puzzled as to why she's even
called Spiderwoman...her powers really don't have much in common with
Spiderman's and she doesn't have any significant connection to him or
to spiders themselves...the name makes far more sense for any of the
subsequent Spiderwomen than it ever has for Jessica Drew.

Darci

Apr 28, 2010, 10:23:21 AM4/28/10
On Apr 27, 8:54 pm, grinningdemon <grinningde...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> I like the character but I've always been puzzled as to why she's even
> called Spiderwoman...her powers really don't have much in common with
> Spiderman's and she doesn't have any significant connection to him or
> to spiders themselves...the name makes far more sense for any of the
> subsequent Spiderwomen than it ever has for Jessica Drew.- Hide quoted text -

Even in BMB's hacked-up revised version in Spider-Woman: Origin
(2006) Jessica Drew got her powers from a spider. I've never seen a
spider that can fire electrical blasts, emit pheromones, etc. but at
least in the 1977 origin in Marvel Spotlight #32 she was gliding, not
flying. Of course, the real reason Jessica is called Spider-Woman is
so Marvel doesn't have to worry about the character's name being used
by someone else.
Hope this helps,
Darci

Michael

Apr 28, 2010, 6:36:22 PM4/28/10
Darci wrote:

At the moment I'm too lazy to look it up, but didn't she have some kind
of illness that was cured using a spider as a majr part of a serum or
something?

Michael

grinningdemon

Apr 28, 2010, 9:52:15 PM4/28/10
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 15:36:22 -0700, Michael <this...@for.rent>
wrote:

I must have missed that part...but, regardless, the name Spiderwoman
doesn't really seem to suit the character...I kind of wish she'd taken
on a new identity and the 2nd Spiderwoman had gotten to keep the name.

William George Ferguson

Apr 28, 2010, 11:51:40 PM4/28/10

In her original comics origin (before a near endless number of retcons),
she was the daughter of a research partner of Herbert Wyndham before he had
become the High Evolutionary. She suffered from a fatal disease (an
auto-immune deficiency disease). she was injected with a mutagenic
compound which utilized spider-venom as an ingredient and was placed in
suspended animation to slow down her body processes and give the compound
time to work. She spent several decades in suspended animation, during
which she only aged a few years, until Wyndham, now the High Evolutionary,
released her and raised her at Wundagore Mountain with the New Men. She
beleived that she was herself a New Man, an evolved spider, until her
father revealed her true past to her much later.

The primary mutagenic change in her from humanity is a totipotent
auto-immune system. In addition her body generates a tremendous amount
bio-electric energy, which she uses for her venom blasts, and which the
specially made web wings in her costume channel to enable her to glide (she
can't glide without them, even now). She can also sstick to pretty much
any surface, also as a byproduct of the bio-electricity. As a by-product
of her auto-immune system, she gives off those pheromones that trigger
other people's adrenal glands.

The comics have worked to do away whith her totipotent auto-immune system
several times, and current writers tend to forget that what she has lost is
the ability to develop new immunities, not immunities she already has (most
recently, her being controlled by the Mandrill, she developed an immunity
to his pheromens years ago, before losing her ability to develop new
immunities).

--
I have a theory, it could be bunnies

Raymond Speer

Apr 29, 2010, 6:19:11 AM4/29/10
My prayer is that there is no "High Evoluntionary" detour given in the
Spiderwoman origin movie. That would load the picture with ten times
the comics crap it needs.

Jessica Drew's most obvious features are her breasts. She ought to be
known as Titzslinger. And damn her body odor ---- as used nine times out
of ten, it means that her male co-stars fall in love with her.

Scott Eiler

Apr 29, 2010, 11:37:28 AM4/29/10
On Apr 29, 5:19 am, rays...@webtv.net (Raymond Speer) wrote:

> Jessica Drew's most obvious features are her breasts. She ought to be
> known as Titzslinger.

Well, that's just because they're colored bright yellow on her
costume. She always struck me as the thin, sleek type.

M.O.R

Apr 29, 2010, 6:19:55 PM4/29/10

Plus, when Frank Cho draws women, they all look the exact same, with
the same body type and structure, which pretty much stays at big
breasts, and no butt. His Spider-woman has pretty much all the
negative qualities one would associate with Cho's work.

When drawn well, Spider-woman holds her own. She is a strong,
athletic type.

grinningdemon

Apr 29, 2010, 6:35:29 PM4/29/10

Let's not fool ourselves here...Cho may be a little more of a T & A
artist than some but it's kind of the nature of the genre that the
women are generally well endowed.