Dave's Previews Nattering: Spoilers for DC Books in August

Dave Van Domelen

May 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/31/96

Dave's Previews Nattering - Spoilers for DC books shipping in August
From Diamond's _Previews_ Magazine

#############################################################################
#############################################################################
#### ####
#### ####
#### ALL SPOILERS!!!!!!!!! ####
#### ####
#### ####
#############################################################################
#############################################################################

Last chance warning: the people who write the solicitations at DC
(aka the editors) often give away important plot points that the writers
would rather not have been given away. They've also been known to be wrong.
With that out of the way, I'll just mumble about a few non-DC things in lieu
of spoilerspace.

Y'know, most of the time when I see a "Because YOU Demanded It!"
tagline, my cynical response is "No, I Didn't." However, this time it's
quite accurate. The Select and Essential sections have been merged into
just one "Comics" section, ending the ghetto system. Of course, the big
exclusives are still separate at the beginning...just because the ghetto
is gone doesn't mean the penthouse is.
Of course, this does have the negative side effect of plopping Mythic
Heroes (by Chapterhouse Press, see my Rant Special on it last week) right
next to Lady Death (Chaos! Comics). Now THERE's a juxtaposition for ya.
Dark Horse is doing a four-issue adaptation of "Gamera: Guardian of the
Universe"! Yay! Gamera is really neat! He is filled with turtle meat!
We are eating Gamera! Ahem. Double yay, more Gunsmith Cats.
Larsen is bringing in God as a supporting character in Savage Dragon
#31. Tell me I'm not the only one gagging on this one.
A parody of Don Simpson will be appearing in Cerebus.
Let me be the fifteenth or so person to mention Astro City v2 #1's
solicited for August. It answers the question, "Why would anyone live in
a city as dangerous as Astro City?" I think the answer is, "What, you know
someplace safer?"

Okay, that should be enough space. On to the DC spoilers.

The big cover story is that The Atom is getting together with a bunch
of new characters to form the new Teen Titans. I dunno...I always liked the
old idea that the Teen Titans were all the sidekicks forming their own
Justice League Junior. Now it's more like the Adolescent League
Unimpressive or something.
Stuck Rubber Baby's coming out in softcover TPB.
Captain Marvel Jr. has his final showdown with Captain Nazi, and Chain
Lightning (and Gil Kane) return for the occasion.
Detention Comics #1 looks promising. Until you see the writing staff.
Superboy by Marz. Warrior by Roo (I can handle him editing, but I'm not
so sure about his writing).
Impulse #18 is another Pasko/Williams production. WHY? WHYWHYWHY?
Must we be tortured so?
They're showing restraint and not giving anything away about KC#4 in
Previews.
Firebrand and Mister Miracle are among the titles dying this month.
Ohhhh...now I'm torn about Superboy. On the one hand, Marz is writing
it. On the other hand, Bernado is drawing it. I may just have to give this
one a chance.
Ray #28: "In the startling series finale, The Ray and Gaelon storm
Vandal Savage's base and learn the immortal madman's true agenda...one that
threatens not only Ray, but all those he holds dear." The cover art shows
Ray amidst a bunch of tubes holding partial people...Vandal's organ bank,
probably.

And now, in one big block so it's easier for me to edit this file and
repost to RACDL, the Legion spoilers!

Legionnaires #41: Cover shows Garth, all banged up, in a pile of
wreckage looking at a hand sticking out of the debris. "In the aftermath
of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #84, the team tries to pick up the pieces and
assess who among them is injured, missing, or dead -- leading to a grim
ceremony on the world of Shanghalla. But the Legionnaires have little time
to heal before the mystic crone Mysa returns, angered by the Legion's
failure to secure the Emerald Eye."
Legion of Super-Heroes #85: Cover shows Cos, Gates and Imra atop the
Daily Planet globe surrounded by SCU, while Ayla and Jo are airborne and
face off with Superman and some helicopters. "A startling new direction
begins for LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES, guest-starring Superman! Flung through
time and space by the awesome power of the Emerald Eye, a contingent of
Legionnaires finds itself stranded on Earth in the 20th Century! Now
Brainiac 5, Cosmic Boy, Saturn Girl, Ultra Boy, Sparks [sic], Gates, and
several others must make their way on a primitive planet of living legends
and deadly dangers equal to any they faced in the 30th Century! When their
actions in Metropolis are met with force by the ever-vigilant Special
Crimes Unit, it soon becomes a job for the city's resident Man of Steel!"
An accompanying article mentions they will meet, among others,
Brainiac (original), Vril Dox II, Crab Face Guy, Impulse, the JLA, S7,
Captain Marvel and Superboy.
Legion of Super-Heroes Annual #7: WILDFIRE! WILDFIRE! WILDFIRE!
Ahem. "The 'Legends of the Dead Earth' Annuals continue: In a future
*way* beyond the 30th Century, a force is detonating stars throughout the
galaxy. Having seen too many incarnations of the Legion of Super-Heroes
fall in battle through the centuries, Wildfire, the last Legionnaire, must
find the key to forming a new Legion for what may prove to be its first --
and possibly last -- mission." WILDFIRE! A Peyer/Collins production.

Dave Van Domelen, okay, it's a badly written blurb, but it has
WILDFIRE!