REPOST: LSH: Therapy Chat - 7/6/95

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
The first posting apparently didn't make it to a lot of sites, so I'm
reposting it. Enjoy!

Troy
Mark Waid, Tom Peyer, Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy and KC Carlson were the guests on
America Online's special Legion Therapy Chat on Thursday, July 6, 1995. LSH
Chat is held in the DC Online Chat area of America Online every Tuesday at
6:00 p.m. ET. Previous guests have included Mark Waid, Tom Peyer, Tom
McCraw, Jeff Moy, KC Carlson and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER - The information presented herein is as true an interpretation
of what happened in the chat as possible. Nevertheless, all comments are
subject to being misunderstood.

SPOILERS - Unlike the usual chat report, I will use Spoiler Space to prevent
unwanted spoilers.

NEW READERS - Please don't hesitate to ask questions. Feel free to either
drop me an e-mail, or to post your questions here.

=======

Roger Stern is going to be joining the LSH Creative team after the first of
the year. Tom Peyer and Roger Stern worked together before on "Power of the
Atom." They haven't figured out exactly how Roger will fit in yet.

Mark Waid had adopted the special nickname "PrideFranc" for his favorite
line in the L* Annual. He indicated that the line made him gag.

KC asked whether it was GREAT to read a story where we didn't know
EVERYTHING that was going to happen.

Waid indicated that he would hang out at the LSH Chats when he could even
though he's no longer one of the regular writing team. He was willing to do
a Legion special, one shot or mini series sometime.

Mark challenged us to guess which pages he scripted, and which were scripted
by Peyer. When it was suggested that he scripted the first page with
Evolvo's real name, he indicated that Peyer could've looked it up.

Jeff Moy returns as regular penciller as of L* #29. There won't be any fill
ins for a while.

It's our call as to whether we want more of Buck Bond (Ranger from L* #28).

KC asked us to speak to our shop owners about how good the Legion titles
are. He'd like to see a movement to increasing the sales begin at that level.

Jeff Moy appears on page 15 of the annual along with Cory Carani and Rimmer
of "Red Dwarf." Jeff is on the left.

R.E.B.E.L.S. '9x has been cancelled as of #18. The storyline will be
completed before the series ends.

One of the funnier exchanges happened when many of the attendees claimed to
be Mark Waid. When "MikeChary" claimed to be Waid, "PrideFranc" responded:
"You're Waid, Chary? Hey, Flash #100 SUCKED!" (If you don't know the
backstory, you're probably better off in your ignorance.)

There won't be a 3rd regular book soon, but they will try for mini-series,
one-shots and specials.

Waid's trivia question for the week: How did Leeta 87 die?

KC noted that producing a quality lettercol as the Bierbaums produced took a
great deal of time.

Jeff was disappointed in the cover to the Legionnaires Annual. He thought
it looked squashed. (Jeff, with a heavy heart, I'll relieve you of the
original art for that cover.<g>)

Invisible Kid and Cosmic Boy are the only left-handed Legionnaires.

KC on gay Legionnaires - "[J]ust like in real life, we don't always "know"
who is gay -- unless they tell us! . . . You can all suspect away, but
until one of the characters actually tells you, you don't know for sure."
Besides, they're young enough that they're not having a lot of sex anyway.

McCraw no longer colors the covers. "(Don't ask.)" (ED - I'm curious anyway.)

McCraw thought that the only former Legionnaire that hadn't been asked for
was Polar Boy. Naturally, 3 people proceeded to ask him when Polar Boy was
going to join.

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

This is boring.

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

SPOILER SPACE

The creators were very concerned about our reaction to Apparition's death.
KC asked if he was going to get fried. Mark generally polled the crowd for
reactions. Everyone seemed genuinely relieved that the Chat Room crowd
wasn't overwhelmingly hostile. We were thanked for not hating them.

It was a joint decision to kill Apparition. (Although it was facetiously
blamed on Mark Waid after he had left and the other writers remained.)

KC did suggest that Waid was going to be put on trial for Tinya's death and
that the trial would last 3 years. Waid noted that the Anti-Monitor would
pass judgment on him. Waid rejected Mike Chary from his jury and as his
judge noting "You already judge too much, Chary!"

Jeff Moy disclaimed any responsibility for having written the story. When
it was suggested that he could have drawn whatever he wanted--such as a
Bouncing Boy 5 pager--he indicated that he was afraid he'd get fired.

Waid noted that if they'd let Quislet join, he'd have been able to take the
blast meant for Tinya.

Waid also asked how long it would take a young Phase to replace Tinya.

What's Ultra Boy doing now? Peyer hopes Ultra Boy is shaving.

The Time Trapper has nothing to do with Tinya this time. The Time Trapper
is only retired for now.

Jeff disavowed any responsibility for the destruction of the Eifel Tower.
It was in the script. Waid extended his condolences to Jeff over having
needed to draw the tower, and opined that it seemed good in the script.

McCraw was relieved that the Annual was out because he'd grown tired of
playing "I've got a secret." At one point, Tom M. forgot that Jan appeared
in the Annual and was hedging on whether Jan was still alive.

Andromeda will be back. Waid shot down the suggestion that it was only a
matter of time until Cosmic Boy retrieves her. KC and McCraw provided "no
comment" to the suggestion that Andromeda would be the postboot Unknown
Legionnaire.

They avoided having Jan tinker with the chemical makeup of the anti-lead
formula and/or using lead to defeat the Daxamites because it had been done
before. Besides, the formula's too complex to be relayed via transpace.

McCraw opined that Roxxas was probably in a hospital. Peyer promised that
he'd be insane by the next time Roxxas showed up.

The Legionnaires didn't use telepathic earplugs to communicate because they
only work over short distances and the Work Force members didn't have access
to them.

Waid wondered if anyone was surprised by the Stargate. He thought that some
of us might have been expecting a force field instead. (ASIDE - Hadn't
really occurred to me.)

The Cosmic Boy/Saturn Girl/Live Wire triangle will survive the annual.

We'll find out soon whether that was Valor in the stargate field.

Waid noted that they were 2 for 2 when it was pointed out that the story
wrecked 2 of the Legion's classic romances.

McCraw warned us to wait and see what happens in the next issue. KC noted
that it had the funeral and Cos' worst day ever. We'll also see what
happened to the rest of the Daxamites.

Dirk (Sun Boy) Morgna appears in Legionnaires #29.

Underworld will affect the LSH significantly. There will be repercussions
after the crossover issues. The villain will be Chronos.

XS will crossover with Impulse in Impulse #9. Mark wouldn't say whether the
crossover took place in the present or the future.

Two members join in LSH #76. We will see Star Boy in LSH #76. No comment
on whether Star Boy was joining in LSH #76.

Chuck Taine will be in the books within a year.

Kinetix is still around for now. KC opined that we would love/hate what
they had in store for Zoe. When someone opined that Zoe will NOT become the
Emerald Empress, KC noted "Don't believe everything you read."

It's important which hand Garth wears his flight ring on. McCraw noted it
was his "right hand. Well, left now."

KC on Apparition: "[W]hat happened to Tinya is just the beginning of a
story." And, "there was a very specific reason that she was singled out by
us. Can't tell you the reason, it would spoil the story. TRUST US!!!"

We should "be afraid, be very afraid" of Year 2

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere
in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
--Calvin, "Scientific Progress Goes 'Boink'"
LLL!

Ben Weiss

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Oh, God, not another universe-wide crossover that "significantly affects"
the Legion. Who else votes for DC to keep all its crossovers strictly in
the 20th century from now on?

Someone tell Tom McCraw that I personally have asked for Polar Boy more
than once. (I suggested his initial rejection should be politically
motivated--i.e., Tharr joined the U.P. right after Kid Quantum died and got
a no-Legionnaires clause inserted in their treaty. Or maybe Tharr's just
such a small, new colony world that it would offend the more established
planets to give them a Legionnaire.)

TWO new members, out of Jo, Val, Jan, Thom, Chuck and Dirk? Well, Jan and
Thom are the obvious ones, so that's my guess. (Though why it should take
eight issues to get Jan into the Legion I don't know.)
Ben

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Previously on racdu, Ben Weiss wrote:

>Oh, God, not another universe-wide crossover that "significantly affects"
>the Legion. Who else votes for DC to keep all its crossovers strictly in
>the 20th century from now on?

My vote would be a little broader. I'd vote to eliminate DC crossovers.

Nevertheless, I don't think "UU" is going to significantly affect the Legion
the way that Zero Hour did. I *think* they meant that it wasn't going to be a
typical crossover issue that pretends to be really important and then is
immediately forgotten in the next issue as the characters resume their normal
storylines.

>Someone tell Tom McCraw that I personally have asked for Polar Boy more
>than once.

Sorry, you've stumbled into a running gag. One of the frustrating things for
the creators in the AOL Chats is the various chorus of voices requesting one
Legionnaire or another. When asked, Tom said that Polar Boy was the only
Legionnaire whose return to the Legion hadn't been asked for during a
chat to his knowledge. He was immediately bombarded with requests for Polar
Boy.

>(I suggested his initial rejection should be politically
>motivated--i.e., Tharr joined the U.P. right after Kid Quantum died and got
>a no-Legionnaires clause inserted in their treaty. Or maybe Tharr's just
>such a small, new colony world that it would offend the more established
>planets to give them a Legionnaire.)

Interesting ideas.

>TWO new members, out of Jo, Val, Jan, Thom, Chuck and Dirk? Well, Jan and
>Thom are the obvious ones, so that's my guess. (Though why it should take
>eight issues to get Jan into the Legion I don't know.)

It's not Dirk or Chuck because we're told the character has already appeared
in the Legion books since Zero Hour. The more recent AOL chat of 7/11
indicates that it probably isn't Thom. Jo apparently joined in LSH #72. That
leaves Val and Jan of your guesses. Jan might be one of them, but I
seriously doubt that Val will join the Legion until Princess Projectra,
Nemesis, and Ferro are ready to make their appearance, too.

In other words, I have no clue.

At one point, I thought they might be adding Evolvo based on one of KC's
comments in a chat. I've dropped that theory personally, but you're more than
willing to pick up the ball and run with it.

Other characters we've seen since Zero Hour include Atmos, Rond Vidar,
Inferno, Spider Girl, Lume, and Gates.

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"Truly, people with brain cells are an oppressed minority."
--Jason Fox, "May The Force Be With Us, Please"
LLL!

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/16/95
Previously on racdu, some simpering fool wrote:

>Other characters we've seen since Zero Hour include Atmos, Rond Vidar,
>Inferno, Spider Girl, Lume, and Gates.

And Tenzil, of course. I don't believe we'd yet seen Valor when we were
told that we've already seen both characters in the postboot, but I could be
wrong.

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"If friends impose on you to babysit it is within your rights
to convert the child to a new religion."
--"Dogbert's Clues for the Clueless"
LLL!

Abhay Khosla

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
On Sun, 16 Jul 1995 tro...@indirect.com wrote:

> Previously on racdu, Ben Weiss wrote:
>
> >Oh, God, not another universe-wide crossover that "significantly affects"
> >the Legion. Who else votes for DC to keep all its crossovers strictly in
> >the 20th century from now on?

> My vote would be a little broader. I'd vote to eliminate DC crossovers.

But how are they going to fix all the problems they've made post-Zero
Hour(ie. what is this shit with Batman)?

This is a paid advert for Readers In Favor of DC Crossovers... Because We
Don't Need Worse Explanations for Retcons(*ahem* clones *ahem).

> Nevertheless, I don't think "UU" is going to significantly affect the Legion
> the way that Zero Hour did. I *think* they meant that it wasn't going to be a

Reboot again! Reboot again! Reboot again! Hey, I like whats going on
too, but maybe next time they'll let the aliens like Blok in! Reboot
again! Reboot again!

-Abhay
akh...@umich.edu

Peter Williams

Jul 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/29/95
In article <troyesq.20...@indirect.com>,

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
>Previously on racdu, Ben Weiss wrote:
>
>>Oh, God, not another universe-wide crossover that "significantly affects"
>>the Legion. Who else votes for DC to keep all its crossovers strictly in
>>the 20th century from now on?
>
>My vote would be a little broader. I'd vote to eliminate DC crossovers.
>
>Nevertheless, I don't think "UU" is going to significantly affect the Legion
>the way that Zero Hour did. I *think* they meant that it wasn't going to be a
>typical crossover issue that pretends to be really important and then is
>immediately forgotten in the next issue as the characters resume their normal
>storylines.

Pretty much so. From the sound of it, the main result will be a powered
up bad guy or two. Some good guys will turn bad in some titles, lots of
wimpy villains will become powerful villains. Basically, the events of
UU will themselves not matter much, but their effects should be felt
on some characters for a while to come.

Regards,

Pete

--
Peter Williams pet...@zip.com.au (ZIP) Sydney, Australia.
"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research!"

con...@indy.net

Jul 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/29/95
In article <3vd7dm$b...@zipper.zip.com.au> pet...@zip.com.au (Peter Williams) writes:
>>[snip of earlier post, excerpt below]

>>Nevertheless, I don't think "UU" is going to significantly affect the Legion
>>the way that Zero Hour did. I *think* they meant that it wasn't going to be a
>>typical crossover issue that pretends to be really important and then is
>>immediately forgotten in the next issue as the characters resume their normal
>>storylines.

>Pretty much so. From the sound of it, the main result will be a powered
>up bad guy or two. Some good guys will turn bad in some titles, lots of
>wimpy villains will become powerful villains. Basically, the events of
>UU will themselves not matter much, but their effects should be felt
>on some characters for a while to come.

My guess would be that Chronos becomes the Time Trapper, Zoe becomes the
Emerald Emp. and Valor will come back, which would put it in the position of
being significant and lasting in impact on the LSH but not deviate from what's
already been hinted at.

JT (Cross-Posting-For-A-Limited-Time-Only Lad)
LLL&L!

L KOW1

Aug 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/1/95

Sounds right to me--Mark Waid wouldn't do anything bad to the LSH.
I have faith in him.
Lev

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my movies, I want to achieve
it through not dying" Woody Allen