JLA #1 spoilers

Tony

Aug 23, 2006, 10:50:17 PM8/23/06
I'm not going into great detail about the issue in this thread, as I'm
sure it will be talked about quite a bit over the next few weeks.
However, one little bit of dialogue got me wondering something about
the state of DCU continuity.

"Legion Flight Ring."
3 little words and I find myself again questioning what the heck has
happened to our heroes' history on New Earth.
The only thing those words tell us is that somehow Superman has
acquired a LSH flight ring. We don't know the circumstances behind
that. My first instinct is to say that given Superboy's time with the
LSH, that Connor brought back an LSH flight ring and Superman acquired
it. That's the simplest explanation.
Others involve Superman still meeting the Legion at varying points
similar to the Post COIE timeline, but they become iffy. For instance,
we never saw Superman acquire a LSH ring when he met the Legionnaries
during John Byrne's run on Superman and Action Comics. It *could* have
happened, but now we don't even know if that story happened. I suppose
if it did happen and he got a LSH ring *then* it doesn't make sense
that he'd never have shown Bruce, since in the revised timeline,
they're close friends again.
The same holds true of the Time and Time Again story where Superman
encounters the LSH. I'm not sure if that story is still in continuity
(I can see both sides of the "it is/it isn't" debate), but if it is,
again, Supes would have spoken to Bruce about getting the ring.
Then there's the time the LSH were stuck in the 20th century. Again,
not sure if it's happened in the new continuity--and given the
confusion over the various incarnations of the LSH, I tend to think
that might not be a bad idea--but Batman did interact with the LSH back
then, so it stands to reason he'd recognize a LSH ring, yet clearly he
had little knowledge of it as comments in JLofA #1 suggest.
The other option is that--given DC has reverted much of its continuity
to Pre COIE days--Superman, as Superboy time travelled and worked with
"a" Legion of Superheroes and that's *his* LSH flight ring. This one
seems unlikely given the various incarnations of the LSH that this
brings up.
I know that if Superman's meetings with the LSH are still in continuity
they'll be chalked up to him meeting alternate future LSHers, but I'd
kinda like to have some idea if they happened at all (especially his
initial post COIE meeting with them, given that it introduces the
Pocket Universe, and even though PAD's Supergirl has been retconned,
the PU still has significance for Superman, given his actions there re:
The Phantom Zone criminals).

BTW, does anyone recall any comments Didio has made about Zero Hour?
For some reason I want to say that it was either retconned out, or
altered, or something. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Tony

prestorjon

Aug 23, 2006, 11:07:24 PM8/23/06

Well or Superman know about Legion Flight Rings. Pre-InfC Connor spent
several months with the Legion. Don't know how much he brought back.
Also he could very well have inherited Booster's flight ring,
especially considering he was at the scene.

Magnus, Robot Fighter.

Aug 24, 2006, 12:54:56 AM8/24/06

>> BTW, does anyone recall any comments Didio has made about Zero Hour?
>> For some reason I want to say that it was either retconned out, or
>> altered, or something. Maybe I'm misremembering.
>>
>> Tony
>
>Well or Superman know about Legion Flight Rings. Pre-InfC Connor spent
>several months with the Legion. Don't know how much he brought back.
>Also he could very well have inherited Booster's flight ring,
>especially considering he was at the scene.

I think the Superman/Batman LSV arc showed that *any* kind of
incarnation of the LSH is possible from our current time heroes
viewpoints.

Think of a river that diverges a million different ways at the point
we call the present. Any time the heroes go to the future they could
meet a different LSH.

My point in this is since DC has been hinting that Superman was
Superboy again....all of his Pre-Crisis meetings with the LSH could be
back in continuity.

Magnus, Robot Fighter.

Aug 24, 2006, 12:56:17 AM8/24/06

Follow-up: and that's just fine with me. Also a time beacon could have
been used keep Superboy from diverging to a different future.

Tony

Aug 24, 2006, 3:11:47 AM8/24/06

Magnus, Robot Fighter. wrote:

> >> BTW, does anyone recall any comments Didio has made about Zero Hour?
> >> For some reason I want to say that it was either retconned out, or
> >> altered, or something. Maybe I'm misremembering.
> >>
> >> Tony
> >
> >Well or Superman know about Legion Flight Rings. Pre-InfC Connor spent
> >several months with the Legion. Don't know how much he brought back.
> >Also he could very well have inherited Booster's flight ring,
> >especially considering he was at the scene.
>
> I think the Superman/Batman LSV arc showed that *any* kind of
> incarnation of the LSH is possible from our current time heroes
> viewpoints.

--I'd forgotten that. In which case, considering that arc took place
before Infinite Crisis, it seems the effect of Zero Hour (eliminating
multiple timelines) has been retconned. Which returns me to the
question of "did ZH even happen?"

> Think of a river that diverges a million different ways at the point
> we call the present. Any time the heroes go to the future they could
> meet a different LSH.

--oh yeah, I get that. I just think it adds to the confusion to have
the heroes meet multiple versions of the LSH. I guess it's no more
different than Pre COIE heroes meeting alternate reality versions of
themselves.

> My point in this is since DC has been hinting that Superman was
> Superboy again....all of his Pre-Crisis meetings with the LSH could be
> back in continuity.

--*This*, I doubt. I just don't see his powers being amped up to the
Pre COIE levels allowing him to travel through time on his own power.
Not only that, but I don't want him to have been back in the LSH.

Tony

The Watch Dog

Aug 24, 2006, 3:30:54 AM8/24/06

Magnus, Robot Fighter. wrote:

> >I think the Superman/Batman LSV arc showed that *any* kind of
> >incarnation of the LSH is possible from our current time heroes
> >viewpoints.
> >
> >Think of a river that diverges a million different ways at the point
> >we call the present. Any time the heroes go to the future they could
> >meet a different LSH.
> >
> >My point in this is since DC has been hinting that Superman was
> >Superboy again....all of his Pre-Crisis meetings with the LSH could be
> >back in continuity.
>
> Follow-up: and that's just fine with me. Also a time beacon could have
> been used keep Superboy from diverging to a different future.

Wouldn't lots and lots of these millions of futures all have their own
time beacons?

I really don't understand how this is supposed to work. Say Connor went
to the future and spent a few months with the Legion. And, while he was
there, the timeline diverged into many timelines - that's what it does
naturally, right?

And then Connor comes home. Or rather, ALL of the Connors come home,
from all the timelines that diverged over those months. Do we get a lot
of Connors back in the 21st century? Why not?

Or suppose Superboy - make it Kal-El Superboy, this time - visits the
Legion repeatedly. (Back pre-CoIE, he used to go every month for their
meetings.) They get pretty used to this in the 31st century. Then,
while he's in his own time, the future diverges. Next time he goes to
visit the Legion, he only visits one of several possible Legions. The
others miss him, and they all send back time bubbles to see if he's
okay....

DC has never had a model for time travel in their universe, and so a
lot of their time travel stories either (a) conflict with each other,
and/or (b) don't make sense. I don't expect it to get any better now.

YKW '06

Aug 24, 2006, 6:53:40 AM8/24/06

Booster had a flight ring that blew out at some point after the
Giffen/DeMatteis era (possibly around the same time Ted stuffed whatever
was left of Micjael into the Rocket Red suit to keep him alive?). That
could be the ring to which they refer.

--
------------------- ------------------------------------------------
|| E-mail: ykw2006 ||"The mystery of government is not how Washington||

Dan McEwen

Aug 24, 2006, 12:20:45 PM8/24/06
"Tony" <Tony...@aol.com> wrote in

> I'm not going into great detail about the issue in this thread, as I'm
> sure it will be talked about quite a bit over the next few weeks.
> However, one little bit of dialogue got me wondering something about
> the state of DCU continuity.
>

> "Legion Flight Ring."
> 3 little words and I find myself again questioning what the heck has
> happened to our heroes' history on New Earth.
> The only thing those words tell us is that somehow Superman has
> acquired a LSH flight ring. We don't know the circumstances behind
> that. My first instinct is to say that given Superboy's time with the
> LSH, that Connor brought back an LSH flight ring and Superman acquired
> it. That's the simplest explanation.

Could be. Of course, the current Legion also has flight rings and we
don't know when or if they might encounter Superman. We've got a
Brainiac 5 and a Sun Boy. If they add Blok and Jacques Foccart to the
line-up, we could have something.

> Others involve Superman still meeting the Legion at varying points
> similar to the Post COIE timeline, but they become iffy. For
> instance, we never saw Superman acquire a LSH ring when he met the
> Legionnaries during John Byrne's run on Superman and Action Comics. It
> *could* have happened, but now we don't even know if that story
> happened. I suppose if it did happen and he got a LSH ring *then* it
> doesn't make sense that he'd never have shown Bruce, since in the
> revised timeline, they're close friends again.

When the previous Legion visited the 20th Century, Superman remarked on
having met members of yet another Legion. That could still stand.

> The same holds true of the Time and Time Again story where Superman
> encounters the LSH. I'm not sure if that story is still in continuity
> (I can see both sides of the "it is/it isn't" debate), but if it is,
> again, Supes would have spoken to Bruce about getting the ring.
> Then there's the time the LSH were stuck in the 20th century. Again,
> not sure if it's happened in the new continuity--and given the
> confusion over the various incarnations of the LSH, I tend to think
> that might not be a bad idea--but Batman did interact with the LSH
> back then, so it stands to reason he'd recognize a LSH ring, yet
> clearly he had little knowledge of it as comments in JLofA #1 suggest.
> The other option is that--given DC has reverted much of its continuity
> to Pre COIE days--Superman, as Superboy time travelled and worked with
> "a" Legion of Superheroes and that's *his* LSH flight ring. This one
> seems unlikely given the various incarnations of the LSH that this
> brings up.

I'll have to pass on wanting Superman to have been Superboy at any point
in his career. While true that I liked pre-Crisis Superboy better than
pre-Crisis Superman, I no longer believe it's a necessary part of his
character. Conner Kent was a great choice IMO.

> I know that if Superman's meetings with the LSH are still in
> continuity they'll be chalked up to him meeting alternate future
> LSHers, but I'd kinda like to have some idea if they happened at all
> (especially his initial post COIE meeting with them, given that it
> introduces the Pocket Universe, and even though PAD's Supergirl has
> been retconned, the PU still has significance for Superman, given his
> actions there re:
> The Phantom Zone criminals).

That's the question, isn't it? We have no clue what happened anymore.

> BTW, does anyone recall any comments Didio has made about Zero Hour?
> For some reason I want to say that it was either retconned out, or
> altered, or something. Maybe I'm misremembering.

All I know is that DC promised not to alter the Legion following IC.
That was a lie. Supergirl was shoehorned in, she's not an asset to the
book, and she does nothing worthwhile.

--
"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain
occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive." --Thomas Jefferson

"How far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying
to defend from without?" --Dwight D. Eisenhower

Dan McEwen

Aug 24, 2006, 12:21:21 PM8/24/06
"prestorjon" <prest...@aol.com> wrote in

> Tony wrote:
>> I'm not going into great detail about the issue in this thread, as
>> I'm sure it will be talked about quite a bit over the next few weeks.
>> However, one little bit of dialogue got me wondering something about
>> the state of DCU continuity.
>>

> Well or Superman know about Legion Flight Rings. Pre-InfC Connor
> spent several months with the Legion. Don't know how much he brought
> back. Also he could very well have inherited Booster's flight ring,
> especially considering he was at the scene.

Conner had a flight ring of his own as a member of the LSH.

Eminence

Aug 24, 2006, 1:40:21 PM8/24/06
On 24 Aug 2006 00:30:54 -0700, "The Watch Dog" <tir...@aol.com>
wrote:

>Magnus, Robot Fighter. wrote:
>> >
>> Follow-up: and that's just fine with me. Also a time beacon could have
>> been used keep Superboy from diverging to a different future.
>
>Wouldn't lots and lots of these millions of futures all have their own
>time beacons?

<Doc Brwon>Great Scott!</Doc Brown>

>I really don't understand how this is supposed to work. Say Connor went
>to the future and spent a few months with the Legion. And, while he was
>there, the timeline diverged into many timelines - that's what it does
>naturally, right?
>
>And then Connor comes home. Or rather, ALL of the Connors come home,
>from all the timelines that diverged over those months. Do we get a lot
>of Connors back in the 21st century? Why not?

They might all return at the same instant and integrate into a single
Connor with fractured recollections of their future memories. Or they
might return picoseconds apart, and each will create a new divergent
future (some of them might return to divergent futures created by
others, setting up Connor vs. Connor violence). There's oodles of fun
to be had with cases of mistaken identity, or one Connor claiming
another is an evil doppleganger (since their memories of their
respective future visits don't jibe), and they can battle amongst
themselves to "recreate the correct future". Or past. Or present.
Eventually, one of the Connors becomes Superboy Prime. Summer
crossover fodder for DECADES (replacing the annual JLA/JSA team-up
with an annual multi-Superboy slugfest).

>Or suppose Superboy - make it Kal-El Superboy, this time - visits the
>Legion repeatedly. (Back pre-CoIE, he used to go every month for their
>meetings.) They get pretty used to this in the 31st century. Then,
>while he's in his own time, the future diverges. Next time he goes to
>visit the Legion, he only visits one of several possible Legions. The
>others miss him, and they all send back time bubbles to see if he's
>okay....

Lather, rinse, repeat. Geoff Darrow replaces George Perez as penciller
for the crowd scenes.

>DC has never had a model for time travel in their universe, and so a
>lot of their time travel stories either (a) conflict with each other,
>and/or (b) don't make sense. I don't expect it to get any better now.

This sounds like a hoot. Imagine all those Connors multiplying
exponentially, and each one being pursued by multiple versions of
alternate future Legions... like a Koch snowflake.

Eminence
_______________
Usenet: Global Village of the Damned

swintronix

Aug 24, 2006, 8:39:45 PM8/24/06

"Eminence" <grey.e...@charter.net> wrote in message

Maybe Supergirl gave her ring to Superman, who gave it to Bats. (Maybe she
sold it to Supes, like thing in Supergirl #9.)

Maybe Supes snagged it out of Connor's room at the Kent Farm, and gave it to
Bats. Kind of like how Kara took a shirt from Connor's room to give to
Cassie.

Maybe, since Supes may have now been Superboy, he got it form the LSH.

Brad Haga

Aug 24, 2006, 9:29:32 PM8/24/06
In article <4l6201...@individual.net>,
Dan McEwen <ferr...@gmail.com> wrote:

And the membership of the Teen Titans at that time were issued rings
when they visited the Legion's future. I don't recall if those were
taken back, most likely they were.

H. Brad Haga

John Duncan Yoyo

Aug 25, 2006, 8:16:40 AM8/25/06
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 21:29:32 -0400, Brad Haga <jad...@adelphia.net>
wrote:

Which Flight ring was it? The design seems to vary every iteration
of the Legion.
--
John Duncan Yoyo
------------------------------o)

Jay Rudin

Aug 25, 2006, 7:19:12 PM8/25/06
"The Watch Dog" wrote:

>>And then Connor comes home. Or rather, ALL of the Connors come home,
>>from all the timelines that diverged over those months. Do we get a lot
>>of Connors back in the 21st century? Why not?

One returns to the 21st century The rest are "simply stories, waiting to be
written". That's hypertime travel.

Jay Rudin

sgtbilko

Aug 26, 2006, 3:03:34 PM8/26/06
In the current Superman comics there's the underlying story of whether or
not Superman is real or a fraud. Could this have something to do with
mysterious mention of the flight ring? Perhaps this is a teaser for a soon
to be storyline when Supes "really" comes back and takes on this imposter
from the future. It may tie in with the Superman/Batman storyline from their
own comic. Or am I giving DC too much credit for being clever?
"Dan McEwen" <ferr...@gmail.com> wrote in message