LSH: AOL Chat for 8/5/97 with McCraw, Moy, Armstrong & Carlson

1 view

Yeechang Lee

Aug 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/10/97

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
> KC was polling fans to determine whether "Makeovers" for the
> Legionnaires was a good idea. He cited the change from Princess
> Projectra to Sensor as an example of a "Makeover." He further
> asked how fans would react if they put a character through a
> reality warp and they came out different.

Seems to me so far we've seen the results from "change for change's
sake," which is what the above essentially is. Don't fundamentally
change the characters; use the characters in new stories!
--
<URL:http://www.columbia.edu/~ylee/>

Jacob W Michaels

Aug 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/10/97

Yay! The return of the chat reports. Thanks, Troy.

Jacob

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Aug 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/10/97

Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist), Jeff Moy (L* penciller),
Jason Armstrong (incoming LSH penciller) and KC Carlson (LSH/L*
editor) were the guests on America Online's Legion of Super-
Heroes Chat for Tuesday, August 5, 1997.

Legion of Super-Heroes Chat is held every Tuesday in the DC
Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 p.m. EST. Legionnaires Chat is
held every Thursday in the same area at 10:00 p.m. EST.
(Keyword: DC CHAT.) Regular guests include Tom Peyer, Tom
McCraw, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd and KC Carlson.

DISCLAIMER - Information presented herein is not guaranteed to be
reliable. Stripped to their essentials, the Legion chats involve
approximately 25 fans shouting repeated questions at the
creators. The creators don't have time to thoroughly answer
questions and sometimes are unable to respond to clarification
questions.

SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
space separates such spoiler information.

SUBSCRIPTIONS - If you'd like to subscribe to these chat reports,
send an e-mail to "majo...@mlists.com" with the message
"subscribe lsh-chats". To unsubscribe, send the message
"unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

GRAPHICS - If you want to subscribe to Lev Kalman's weekly
humorous LSH pic, send the message "subscribe lev-pics" in the
body of an e-mail to "majo...@mlists.com". You'll receive a
MIME-encoded pic in your virtual mailbox every week.

JULY REPORTS - The last posted Chat Report was dated June 24th &
June 26th. There were no Chat Reports for any chat taking place
in July.

SPECIAL THANKS - To Elayne Wechsler-Chaput for providing the copy
of the chat log from which this report was generated.

===============

The LSH mini series that follows INFERNO will be entitled LEGENDS
OF THE LEGION.

The 20th century Legionnaires appear in SUPERBOY #45.

KC was polling fans to determine whether "Makeovers" for the
Legionnaires was a good idea. He cited the change from Princess
Projectra to Sensor as an example of a "Makeover." He further
asked how fans would react if they put a character through a
reality warp and they came out different.

Jason's favorite Legionnaires are Ultra Boy and Apparition. He
also likes Andromeda.

Jason's first set of rough pencils were due on Wednesday. He was
having fun pencilling, but observed that there were a lot of
characters to include in every panel. He told a Saturn Girl fan
that the pages featured lots of Imra.

KC indicated that they're considering bringing back Grimbor, but
are looking for a way to make him less "kinky." Tom stated that
he never liked Charma.

Tom observed that Live Wire, Spark and Leviathan are all 14 years
old.

Chameleon is featured on the cover to L* #55 which takes place
during DC's "big head" month. He was chosen in part because they
wanted a somewhat alien head that defines the Legion. The
creators felt that Chameleon was somewhat more representative
than Sensor.

Tom promised that Ultra Boy and Apparition are married. He
observed that Tinya is 17 and Jo is 18. Tom wondered why anyone
would marry a dead person and joked that it would kill the
honeymoon.

Jason promised character development in upcoming issues.

The "H" Dial (as in "Dial 'H' for Hero") will be appearing in L*
#53.

KC indicated that they would be dealing with the link between
Apparition and Phase soon.

Tom promised that alien races would be coming up after LSH #100.
Jeff joked that they should catalogue the races in the issues
that they have.

The title to LSH #99 is "Duo Damsel."

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"Onan onan."

Legion

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

Spoilers...

> The title to LSH #99 is "Duo Damsel."
>
> --
> T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

This is just *so* wicked (big grin)

Oh, I hope so :)

Cheers,
Larry

LLL

Tim McLean

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

Thanks for the Report, Troy. We've missed you.

ShutUpRob

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

In article <33ef4a11...@news.goodnet.com>, tro...@indirect.com (T.
Troy McNemar, Esq.) writes:

Spoiler Warning:

"And, now, the song that's been Number One on the Carggite
Hit Parade For 54,000 weeks straight. Hit it, boys and girls . . . "

A-wan, a-too, a-wantootreefore

All of Me

Why don't you take

All of Me

Can't you see

I've been lonely without you

>The title to LSH #99 is "Duo Damsel."

I suspect that this is going to be one of their sleights-
of-hand and that it actually refers to Apparition's status
rather than to Luornu losing one of her bodies.

-- Rob Jensen

"I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it."

David H. -- REMOVE NOSPAMMERS to reply

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

On 11 Aug 1997 18:00:25 GMT, shut...@aol.com (ShutUpRob) wrote:

>In article <33ef4a11...@news.goodnet.com>, tro...@indirect.com (T.
>Troy McNemar, Esq.) writes:
>
>Spoiler Warning:
>

>"And, now, the song that's been Number One on the Carggite
>Hit Parade For 54,000 weeks straight. Hit it, boys and girls . . . "
>

>A-wan, a-too, a-wantootreefore
>

>All of Me
>

>Why don't you take
>

>All of Me
>

>Can't you see
>

>I've been lonely without you
>

>>The title to LSH #99 is "Duo Damsel."
>

> I suspect that this is going to be one of their sleights-
>of-hand and that it actually refers to Apparition's status
>rather than to Luornu losing one of her bodies.

You know, when i read that in the chat report the first thing that came
to mind was actually Tinya.

David H., dav...@ibm.net
IMPORTANT: Please remove "NOSPAMMERS." from my address when replying
via e-mail. It's a (so far) effective effort to avoid spam.

"Get your hands off of me --
all four of them!"
-- unnamed female character,
"Attack From Mars" pinball game
(Most women I know can relate to this!)

Hernan Espinoza

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

shut...@aol.com (ShutUpRob) writes:

>In article <33ef4a11...@news.goodnet.com>, tro...@indirect.com (T.
>Troy McNemar, Esq.) writes:

>Spoiler Warning:

>>The title to LSH #99 is "Duo Damsel."

> I suspect that this is going to be one of their sleights-
>of-hand and that it actually refers to Apparition's status
>rather than to Luornu losing one of her bodies.

Shut Up, Rob! You're going to ruin it for everybody! 8-)

-Hernan, I know it's not original, but I've always wanted
to do that and I couldn't resist.

PS - That's what I thought, too, but I thought I was being paranoid.

ShutUpRob

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

In article <espinoza....@cgl.ucsf.edu>, espi...@cgl.ucsf.edu
(Hernan Espinoza) writes:

>shut...@aol.com (ShutUpRob) writes:
>
>>In article <33ef4a11...@news.goodnet.com>, tro...@indirect.com
(T.
>>Troy McNemar, Esq.) writes:
>
>>Spoiler Warning:

>>>The title to LSH #99 is "Duo Damsel."
>

>> I suspect that this is going to be one of their sleights-
>>of-hand and that it actually refers to Apparition's status
>>rather than to Luornu losing one of her bodies.
>
> Shut Up, Rob! You're going to ruin it for everybody! 8-)
>
> -Hernan, I know it's not original, but I've always wanted
> to do that and I couldn't resist.

Well, y'know, that's my email address, don't wear it out! :)

>PS - That's what I thought, too, but I thought I was being paranoid.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're
not out to get you. :)

-- Rob E. Boy

Ben Weiss

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

On 10 Aug 1997 06:04:00 -0700,
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com > wrote:

>KC was polling fans to determine whether "Makeovers" for the
>Legionnaires was a good idea. He cited the change from Princess
>Projectra to Sensor as an example of a "Makeover." He further
>asked how fans would react if they put a character through a
>reality warp and they came out different.

With my trust level in the creative team dwindling (Monstress,
anyone?), I vote no.

>Tom observed that Live Wire, Spark and Leviathan are all 14 years
>old.

Er, does this mean they're really calling Vi "Leviathan?" I like
"Violet," as on the poster, much better. (I hated the name Leviathan
even when Gim had it.) Also, Vi was listed as "almost 15" on Tom's
first list, way back when...how much time has passed?

>Tom promised that Ultra Boy and Apparition are married. He
>observed that Tinya is 17 and Jo is 18.

So Tinya's gone from 15 to 17 in the same time it took Vi to go from
"almost 15" to 14? :)

>The title to LSH #99 is "Duo Damsel."

Ugh...if this is what it sounds like, it's one part of preboot I
really don't think they needed to bring back. Isn't Leviathan's death
enough for two years?
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

Carl Bateman

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

ShutUpRob wrote:

> In article <33ef4a11...@news.goodnet.com>, tro...@indirect.com (T.
> Troy McNemar, Esq.) writes:
>
> Spoiler Warning:

:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

> >The title to LSH #99 is "Duo Damsel."
>

> I suspect that this is going to be one of their sleights-
> of-hand and that it actually refers to Apparition's status
> rather than to Luornu losing one of her bodies.
>

> -- Rob Jensen

> "I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it."

Yes, particularly since it's been established that Daddy was a
Carrgggiiiittttteeeeee (albeit a gambler... hmm, maybe he
took a bet with Neron).

And of course there's "Phase".

And the stiff courtesy of the White Triangle nutters makes three.

Hmm, it's possible, it's possible...

Carl ;)

Ben Weiss

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

On 11 Aug 1997 18:00:25 GMT,
ShutUpRob <shut...@aol.com > wrote:
>In article <33ef4a11...@news.goodnet.com>, tro...@indirect.com (T.
>Troy McNemar, Esq.) writes:
>
>Spoiler Warning:
>

>"And, now, the song that's been Number One on the Carggite
>Hit Parade For 54,000 weeks straight. Hit it, boys and girls . . . "
>

>A-wan, a-too, a-wantootreefore
>

>All of Me
>

>Why don't you take
>

>All of Me
>

>Can't you see
>

>I've been lonely without you
>

>>The title to LSH #99 is "Duo Damsel."
>
> I suspect that this is going to be one of their sleights-
>of-hand and that it actually refers to Apparition's status
>rather than to Luornu losing one of her bodies.

This hit me last night after I posted a message bitching about the
apparent death of a Triad. I was going to post it as my brilliant
brainstorm. :)
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org
Awaiting the falling of the sky now that he's agreed with Rob Jensen

KrytenToo

Aug 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/17/97

In article <88579.w...@gold.tc.umn.edu>, "Ben Weiss"
<weis...@gold.tc.umn.edu> writes:
<spoilers ho>

>>The title to LSH #99 is "Duo Damsel."
>

>Ugh...if this is what it sounds like, it's one part of preboot I
>really don't think they needed to bring back. Isn't Leviathan's death
>enough for two years?

Calm down, Ben. I believe the "Duo Damsel" in this case refers to Tinya
and Phase.

Jeremy B

"Once again, a knife-wielding maniac has shown us the way."
--Bart Simpson

ShutUpRob

Aug 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/17/97

In article <88148.w...@gold.tc.umn.edu>, "Ben Weiss"
<weis...@gold.tc.umn.edu> writes:

>On 11 Aug 1997 18:00:25 GMT,
>ShutUpRob <shut...@aol.com > wrote:
>>In article <33ef4a11...@news.goodnet.com>,
>>tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) writes:
>>
>>Spoiler Warning:
>>

>>"And, now, the song that's been Number One on the Carggite
>>Hit Parade For 54,000 weeks straight. Hit it, boys and girls . . . "
>>

>>A-wan, a-too, a-wantootreefore
>>

>>All of Me
>>

>>Why don't you take
>>

>>All of Me
>>

>>Can't you see
>>

>>I've been lonely without you
>>

>>>The title to LSH #99 is "Duo Damsel."
>>

>> I suspect that this is going to be one of their sleights-
>>of-hand and that it actually refers to Apparition's status
>>rather than to Luornu losing one of her bodies.
>
>This hit me last night after I posted a message bitching about the
>apparent death of a Triad. I was going to post it as my brilliant
>brainstorm. :)

Hey, I'm just hoping that our shared deduction is correct. :)

> Ben
> eleme...@lsh.org
> Awaiting the falling of the sky now that he's agreed with Rob Jensen

ka-THUNK!

"Owww oww oww oww!"

michael

Aug 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/18/97

>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. wrote:
>
> KC was polling fans to determine whether "Makeovers" for the
> Legionnaires was a good idea. He cited the change from Princess
> Projectra to Sensor as an example of a "Makeover." He further
> asked how fans would react if they put a character through a
> reality warp and they came out different.

My makeover would involve Lydda and Umbra: combine the two into one host
body. This new hybrid could maintain her super-strength by generating a
shadow sphere around her body. The two personalities could also fight
for control of the host body. Of course a romance with M'onel would be
close to impossible if this were to happen.

-Michael