LSH: AOL Chats for 6/15/99, 6/17/99 & 6/22/99: McCraw, Moy & McAvennie

Alex Tam

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) and Jeff Moy (L* penciller) were
the guests for America Online's Legion Chats for Tuesday, June 15;
Thursday, June 17; and Tuesday, June 22, 1999. Mike McAvennie (LSH/L*
editor) also attended the June 22 chat. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat takes
place every Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 PM EST.
Legionnaires Chat is held every Thursday in the same area at 10:00 PM EST.
(Keyword: CHAT DC.) Regular guests include Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd
and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report. Essentially,
the Legion chats involve about fifteen fans shouting repeated questions to
the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations may
occur on my part.

SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
info from the more general comments.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: To subscribe to these chat reports, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lsh-chats". To
unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

PLUGS: To browse this fan's STARMAN website, visit
http://users.aol.com/nachro2/starhome.htm

For all your LSH online needs, check out the Legion of Super-Resources at
http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm

A BIG THANKS: To James Schee for logging the Tuesday chats.

:=========================:

Mike announced that Olivier Coipel's inker on "Legion of the Damned" on
both covers and interiors will be Andy Lanning, who co-wrote the story with
Dan Abnett. Lanning had been considered, but was too busy at first. But
now he can indeed ink the story. Coipel is pencilling all of that "Damned"
story which runs through both Legion books, but the other permanent
penciller after that is unannounced.

Jeff pronounces "Ayla" like "eh la."

Jeff has received word on the tryouts he did for Wildstorm's STAR TREK
comics (which he called his "dream assignment"), but he still has to jump
"through some more hoops" for Paramount, owner of ST. Paramount and the
actors go through a lot of approvals for likenesses. Tom was reminded of
coloring a ST comic, then having to recolor several of its pages because of
art changes, without getting paid extra.

Mike said there may be "one or two more" Legion mini-series besides
TITANS/LSH, but it's still too early to be sure.

Jeff's favorite of the covers he drew is L* #52, which debuted Violet as
LeVIathan. One of Tom's favorites, if not his very favorite, is LSH v2
#289 for "A Cold and Lonely Corner of Hell."

Tom did not like Heroic Age's separations on his coloring for STARS AND
S.T.R.I.P.E. #1; he far preferred the separations on #0.

Tom believes that the Legion TPB, "The Beginning of Tomorrow," will contain
a cover gallery.

Roger Stern and Tom had planned a possible romantic relationship for XS.
Jeff thinks that XS and Karate Kid would be a good couple, and it'd be
interesting to see how they would deal with their varying levels of
patience. And Invisible Kid was supposed to have a relationship, but who
knows what'll happen to that now. It wasn't with Cosmic Boy.

Jeff said that the second to last page in L* #75 might be a bit "off" if
someone doesn't add a missing word balloon to it. Something happens in
this issue that will have connections to L* #78, the setup to "Legion of
the Damned."

Brika died from stress, according to Tom.

Jeff thought he went "overboard" in showing Live Wire's reaction to Saturn
Girl's telepathic blast in L* #74. Live Wire was supposed to just wince,
according to the script, not look as if he were "in some real pain." We'll
see more of what Imra thinks about Garth's behavior in L* #75.

It was Jeff's idea to change the appearance of Dirk Morgna's eyes, since
Dirk can see heat patterns now. This power might foreshadow the return of
the Sun Boy powers, but that's for the new writers to decide. Tom
confirmed that the current creative team will deal with what Dirk saw at
the end of L* #74.

-- Alex Tam
gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

Cheryl Hanks

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Alex Tam wrote:

> Brika died from stress, according to Tom.

*Stress*? Good grief. I dunno, folks, if postboot Blok has this kind
of physiological reaction to psychological problems, he may not be a
good choice for the Legion...

> Jeff thought he went "overboard" in showing Live Wire's reaction to Saturn
> Girl's telepathic blast in L* #74. Live Wire was supposed to just wince,
> according to the script, not look as if he were "in some real pain."

Awww... It really is a shame that they're not planning to do Dark Imra,
'cause they've got plenty to work with. In Team 20 there's the
destruction of her mental blocks, her subsequent psychic domination of
Cos, and her willingness to use her powers on Brainy. Afterward she
makes no effort to get any additional training in control, despite her
apparent inability to handle her new power level. In the IK spotlight
she casually reads his mind from all the way across town, and then keeps
finishing his sentences when he walks in. In the Lori/Workforce issue,
she not only gets the Khund commander to give the wrong order, she
wonders if maybe she should start eavesdropping on her teammates' minds
so she can prevent these kinds of problems--a line which set off every
alarm I possess. And now she's begun mentally screaming at the team.
Queen of outer space, indeed...

Carmen W.

Dale Hicks

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99
Cheryl Hanks <cha...@erols.com> wrote in article <37770A...@erols.com>...

> Alex Tam wrote:
> >
> > Brika died from stress, according to Tom.
>
> *Stress*? Good grief. I dunno, folks, if postboot Blok has this kind
> of physiological reaction to psychological problems, he may not be a
> good choice for the Legion...

Not necessarily mental stress.

You try being possessed by a super-powerful magical entity. See how
long your host body lasts after it leaves and its magic stops holding
you together. Not even rock-hard bodies can take that kind of stress.

--
Cranial Crusader dhi...@gibralter.net

Cheryl Hanks

Jun 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/28/99

So why didn't Dirk have any problems, then?

Carmen W.

Dale Hicks

Jun 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/29/99
Cheryl Hanks <cha...@erols.com> wrote in article <37783A...@erols.com>...

> Dale Hicks wrote:
> >
> > You try being possessed by a super-powerful magical entity. See how
> > long your host body lasts after it leaves and its magic stops holding
> > you together. Not even rock-hard bodies can take that kind of stress.
>
> So why didn't Dirk have any problems, then?

Artistic lisence.

That's one of those suspension-of-disbelief things that you have
to accept if you want a living Not Sun Boy.

Since you seem to have a lower threshold than I (referring to the
Charma thread as well), then lessee... Dirk has a tremendous sense
of will. Dirk was transmuted into a fire being by his Regulus
experience. Villain's not really gone. Dirk's pretty damned lucky.

--
Cranial Crusader dhi...@gibralter.net

Chris Rednour

Jun 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/29/99
On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Cheryl Hanks wrote:

> Dale Hicks wrote:
> >
> > Cheryl Hanks <cha...@erols.com> wrote in article <37770A...@erols.com>...

> > > *Stress*? Good grief. I dunno, folks, if postboot Blok has this kind
> > > of physiological reaction to psychological problems, he may not be a
> > > good choice for the Legion...
> >
> > Not necessarily mental stress.
> >

> > You try being possessed by a super-powerful magical entity. See how
> > long your host body lasts after it leaves and its magic stops holding
> > you together. Not even rock-hard bodies can take that kind of stress.
> >

> So why didn't Dirk have any problems, then?

Just at a guess...one could assume the fact that Dirk had "powers" as
opposed to being just used as a go-between host. Kind of like trying to
send electricity through a conductor [Dirk] and a non-conductor [Brika]

While some electricity might get through to the other side with a
non-conductor, its probably literally going to go through the
non-conductor. :)

-Chris Rednour
This analogy brought to you by the LSH scientific fact checking group.
We appologise once again for that "white dwarf star" bit...

ReLect0

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Since you seem to have a lower threshold than I (referring to the
Charma thread as well), then lessee... Dirk has a tremendous sense
of will. Dirk was transmuted into a fire being by his Regulus
experience. Villain's not really gone. Dirk's pretty damned lucky.>>

Who's to say his life force and Brika's switched and any day now, it's going
to change him into a rock-like character(YES! The return of Blok! :O)

ReLect0
Keeping a smile on his face as he gathers arms against those who deny him.

Craig Hyde/Cecilia Fosser

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Alex Tam wrote:

> Jeff pronounces "Ayla" like "eh la."

Yes!!!!!

I'm glad THAT'S finally cleared up. :^)

---Craig---

Sidne G. Ward

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
Craig Hyde/Cecilia Fosser <Craigan...@sprintmail.com> writes:

>Alex Tam wrote:

>> Jeff pronounces "Ayla" like "eh la."

>Yes!!!!!

>I'm glad THAT'S finally cleared up. :^)

I don't see how that clears anything up. Jeff's just wrong. :)

EYE-la.

Sidne Gail Ward
sw...@primenet.com

Todd VerBeek

Jun 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/30/99
>>> Jeff pronounces "Ayla" like "eh la."

So how does he pronounce "eh la"?

Cheers, Todd
---
Long Sideburns: further proof that those who do not
remember history are doomed to repeat its mistakes.

Brandon Slattery

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99

>So how does he pronounce "eh la"?

So Ayla is pronounced like Ella? Interlac is strange! ;)
-----------
LLL!
Brandon K. Slattery
Tav...@aol.com
M: "KARATE KID? You tried to KILL me"
K: "Yes. Yes I DID."
M: "Guess I owe you one."
K: "Any TIME."
(M'Onel and Karate Kid in LSH #111)

Michael R. Grabois ... change $ to s

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
On 29 Jun 1999 21:46:57 GMT, "Dale Hicks" <dhi...@gibSPAMLESSralter.net> wrote:

>Cheryl Hanks <cha...@erols.com> wrote in article <37783A...@erols.com>...
>> Dale Hicks wrote:
>> >

>> > You try being possessed by a super-powerful magical entity. See how
>> > long your host body lasts after it leaves and its magic stops holding
>> > you together. Not even rock-hard bodies can take that kind of stress.
>>
>> So why didn't Dirk have any problems, then?
>

>Artistic lisence.
>
>That's one of those suspension-of-disbelief things that you have
>to accept if you want a living Not Sun Boy.
>

>Since you seem to have a lower threshold than I (referring to the
>Charma thread as well), then lessee... Dirk has a tremendous sense
>of will. Dirk was transmuted into a fire being by his Regulus
>experience. Villain's not really gone. Dirk's pretty damned lucky.

Dirk is human, Brika was rock. Dirk is Sun Boy, Brika was a rock. Dirk had
powers already, Brika was... well, a rock.

--
Michael R. Grabois | http://chili.cjb.net
Houston, TX | $pac...@wt.net (change $ to "s")

WildCard

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99
In article <377f1bc6....@news4.wt.net>,

Michael R. Grabois ... change $ to "s" <$pac...@wt.net> wrote:
>On 29 Jun 1999 21:46:57 GMT, "Dale Hicks" <dhi...@gibSPAMLESSralter.net> wrote:
>
>Dirk is human, Brika was rock. Dirk is Sun Boy, Brika was a rock. Dirk had
>powers already, Brika was... well, a rock.

Does this mean that Brika is Charlie Brown's Halloween gift every
year? If so, then he got the better deal in the end (a sentiant rock
being beats out candy any day!)

Wayne (just in one of those moods today)

--
_ __ _ __ | I see the girls walk by dressed in
' ) / // / / ) / | their summer clothes, I have to turn

Dottie Marchand

Jul 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/1/99

WildCard wrote in message <7lftco$q7$1...@hiram.io.com>...

>In article <377f1bc6....@news4.wt.net>,
>Michael R. Grabois ... change $ to "s" <$pac...@wt.net> wrote:
>>On 29 Jun 1999 21:46:57 GMT, "Dale Hicks" <dhi...@gibSPAMLESSralter.net>
wrote:

>>Dirk is human, Brika was rock. Dirk is Sun Boy, Brika was a rock. Dirk had
>>powers already, Brika was... well, a rock.
>
>Does this mean that Brika is Charlie Brown's Halloween gift every
>year? If so, then he got the better deal in the end (a sentiant rock
>being beats out candy any day!)

What about rock candy?