REPORT: LSH AOL Chats for Late November '99: McCraw, Abnett, Lanning & McAvennie

Alex Tam

Dec 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/6/99
Tom McCraw (LSH/L* colorist), Dan Abnett (LSH/L* co-writer), Andy
Lanning (LSH/L* co-writer/inker) and Mike McAvennie (LSH/L* editor) were
the guests on America Online's Legion of Super-Heroes Chat for November
16, 23, and 30, 1999. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat takes place every
Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 5:30 PM ET. (Keyword:
CHAT DC.) Recent regular guests have included Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy, Dan
Abnett, Andy Lanning and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report.
Essentially, the Legion chats involve fans shouting repeated questions
to the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations
may occur on my part.

SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
info from the more general comments.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: To subscribe to these chat reports, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lsh-chats". To
unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same
address.

PLUGS: To browse this fan's STARMAN website, visit
http://users.aol.com/nachro2/starhome.htm

For all your LSH online needs, check out the Legion of Super-Resources
at
http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm

A BIG THANKS: To James Schee for logging these chats.

:=========================:

The final issues of LSH and L* will be out in January. LEGION:LOST will
begin in the first half of March (leaving February without a main Legion
book, just TITANS/LSH #2) to give the creators more lead time.

Mike said that it's still being discussed whether both LSH and L* will
return after LEGION:LOST, but we won't know for a while yet. Dan, Andy
and Tom all agreed that they'd prefer to see LSH return with #126
instead of a new #1.

Andy will be inking Wildstorm's PLANETARY/AUTHORITY one-shot, written by
Warren Ellis and pencilled by Phil Jimenez.

Tom had wanted to show whether Triad's three bodies could combine one at
a time, or if she is necessarily either one or three bodies (the case
we've always seen when all three bodies are alive- AT).

Saturn Girl appeared to be notably older than the other Legionnaires in
the Legion story in LEGENDS OF THE DC UNIVERSE 80-PAGE GIANT #2, but Tom
indicated that the vignettes don't all take place in the same
approximate time frame. She really is around the same age as most of the
others.

That Legion short also depicted Granny Goodness on Apokolips. That scene
didn't have any connection to any Legionnaires; it was just showing that
Apokolips is still around in the 30th Century. While there are no plans
for Apokolips to show up again in the book, Mike wouldn't rule that out.

Dan and Andy want Brainiac 5.1 to downgrade back to 5.

Dan said that Gates and Sensor have been Blighted.

LEGION:LOST #1 will have a new character meeting the team. Other new
characters include the enemies and a new alien race designed by
penciller Olivier Coipel. Encountering so many unfamiliar beings, the
Legion will be "VERY lost," according to Andy. He also hinted that
stargates will play a role in the story, "but not the way you may
think."

Tom needs color reference for the first part of LOST; Dan asked him
about Hubble telescope photos of distant nebulae.

Mike said that at least two people will take a leave of absence from the
Legion after "Damned." That doesn't necessarily mean they'll quit.

Either Saturn Girl or Cosmic Boy will be leader during LEGION:LOST.

Monstress' background will be explored a little further. The creators
didn't say whether this would be in LOST or after that maxi-series, but
she won't be getting her own mini-series. Andy promised that all the
Legionnaires around after LOST will see some spotlight time.

The upcoming TITANS/LSH mini-series is set before "Legion of the Damned"
and will feature every active Legionnaire from that time. Mike said that
#2 will feature some "wet and wild action," referring to an underwater
environment.

-- Alex Tam
gol...@intergate.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

John Northey

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.ca> wrote:
>Mike said that it's still being discussed whether both LSH and L* will
>return after LEGION:LOST, but we won't know for a while yet. Dan, Andy
>and Tom all agreed that they'd prefer to see LSH return with #126
>instead of a new #1.

Sadly I doubt the ptb will allow that. Still, seeing Quantum and
Woody get to continue their numbering does give one hope.

>Tom had wanted to show whether Triad's three bodies could combine one at
>a time, or if she is necessarily either one or three bodies (the case
>we've always seen when all three bodies are alive- AT).

Actually, they can combine one at a time. Remember the start of the
White Triangle storyline where Triad neutral gets beaten? The other
two merge first, then combine with neutral. B5 was frustrated with
them over this due to the risk but (obviously) nothing bad happened.

>Dan and Andy want Brainiac 5.1 to downgrade back to 5.

Woohoo!

Some promising signs that the creators have good ideas most here will
agree with (5.1 to 5, #126 of v4 someday). Wednesday is D-Day though.
We see just how they will end LotD and it will go a long way to
winning back or writing off a batch of fans here. Those of us who've
been buying 20+ years (at least me and Sidne) won't leave but for
those who haven't this is a big test.

John Northey.
Crazy Canadian and creator of the Fans of Teri Sue Wood site.
http://www.sentex.net/~jnorthey/TSW

My original art collection can be seen at
http://www.monsterfighters.com/don/Northey.html

Matthew R. Sheahan

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
Alex Tam (gol...@intergate.ca) wrote:
> Dan and Andy want Brainiac 5.1 to downgrade back to 5.

Dan and Andy are my heroes. go Dan and Andy!

chiaroscuro

kymaera

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
John Northey wrote:

> Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.ca> wrote:
> >Mike said that it's still being discussed whether both LSH and L* will
> >return after LEGION:LOST, but we won't know for a while yet. Dan, Andy
> >and Tom all agreed that they'd prefer to see LSH return with #126
> >instead of a new #1.
>
> Sadly I doubt the ptb will allow that. Still, seeing Quantum and
> Woody get to continue their numbering does give one hope.

Given the trend in the past few years, after Legion Lost, the
Legion will return with LSH #1 to go beside JLA and JSA on
the shelves.

Sidne G. Ward

Dec 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/7/99
jnor...@SPAMISEVILsentex.net (John Northey) writes:

>Some promising signs that the creators have good ideas most here will
>agree with (5.1 to 5, #126 of v4 someday). Wednesday is D-Day though.
>We see just how they will end LotD and it will go a long way to
>winning back or writing off a batch of fans here. Those of us who've
>been buying 20+ years (at least me and Sidne) won't leave but for
>those who haven't this is a big test.

Let's hope everyone's been studying. We don't want anyone to fail the
test.

Sidne Gail Ward
sw...@primenet.com

Adric

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Personally, it's driving me mad that the comics weren't renumbered back
in 1994 when the reboot occurred! I may be in the minority, but I'd
rather see the Legion comic return to issue 1 after Legion: Lost.
Besides, if they want to capture the interest of new readers, it may be
the best idea.

In any event, supposedly the preboot Legion is still a part of the
series, or at least that was the promise given when the reboot was
given, but the issues weren't renumbered. Surely it's time to
reintroduce the older version to coexist with the new one, and with
Hypertime this shouldn't be too hard.

Personally, I'd like to see the first few Adventure Comics republished
as Legion of Super-heroes #1, and then continue reprinting all of the
Legion adventures in chronolgical order. While at the same time
publishing new issues after Legion Lost starting at Legion of
Super-heroes #601 or whatever it would be. At some point in the far
future Legion Lost would be reprinted as issue #600 and the circle
would be complete. Finally, a cohesive numbering system that would
make sense.

I know, wishful thinking...

John Wm

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
In article <064cb3c6...@usw-ex0107-050.remarq.com>, Adric
<stephenw2...@hotmail.com.invalid> writes:

>I may be in the minority, but I'd
>rather see the Legion comic return to issue 1 after Legion: Lost.

Does anybody else here remember when there was no LSH #1?

John

_____________________________
"This is not an attempt on my part to rip down everything that Legion fandom
had held so dear, to sabotage the book, to turn it into a bleak, nightmarish
realm." -Keith Giffen, 1989

Give Me That Ole Time Real Legion!

Dale Hicks

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
John Wm <john...@aol.comnospam> wrote in article <19991211171320...@ngol01.aol.com>...

> In article <064cb3c6...@usw-ex0107-050.remarq.com>, Adric
> <stephenw2...@hotmail.com.invalid> writes:
>
> >I may be in the minority, but I'd
> >rather see the Legion comic return to issue 1 after Legion: Lost.
>
> Does anybody else here remember when there was no LSH #1?

Well, I remember seeing V1 on sale in a grocery store (and passing
on it -- even as a youngster I thought the tales were simplistic
and corny), so I _barely_ do.

I'm not sure if I'd read the LSH in Superboy, but I think I had,
as I had the same appreciation for V1 that I have for the archives
today -- they're interesting in terms of history, for finding about
the first COMPUTO battle, the first Mordru battle (oops!).

--
Cranial Crusader dgh...@bellsouth.net

Sidne G. Ward

Dec 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/12/99
john...@aol.comnospam (John Wm) writes:

>In article <064cb3c6...@usw-ex0107-050.remarq.com>, Adric
><stephenw2...@hotmail.com.invalid> writes:

>>I may be in the minority, but I'd
>>rather see the Legion comic return to issue 1 after Legion: Lost.

>Does anybody else here remember when there was no LSH #1?

I'd guess about half of us do.

Sidne Gail Ward
sw...@primenet.com