LSH: AOL Chat for 8/22/96 with McCraw, Peyer & Moy

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist), Tom Peyer (LSH co-
plotter/scripter) and Jeff Moy (L* penciller) were the guests on
America Online's Legionnaires Chat for Thursday, August 22, 1996.
Legion of Super-Heroes Chat is held every Tuesday in the DC
Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 p.m. EST. Legionnaires Chat is
held every Thursday in the same area at 10:00 p.m. EST.
(Keyword: DC CHAT.) Regular guests include Tom Peyer, Tom
McCraw, Roger Stern, Mark Waid, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd, KC Carlson
and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER - Information presented herein is not guaranteed to be
reliable. Due to the nature of the chats, misinterpretations of
the creators' comments do occur. No wagering.

SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
space separates such spoiler information.

SUBSCRIPTIONS - If you'd like to subscribe (or unsubscribe) to
these chat reports, please send me an e-mail at
"tro...@indirect.com".

GRAPHICS - If you want to subscribe to Lev Kalman's weekly
humorous LSH pic, send the message "subscribe lev-pics" in the
body of an e-mail to "majo...@idyllmtn.com". You'll receive a
MIME-encoded pic in your virtual mailbox every week.

SPECIAL THANKS - To Andrew Woodard, Elayne Wechsler-Chaput, and
Edward Douglas for providing copies of the chat logs from which
this report were generated.

MISSING IN ACTION - Many of you will no doubt observe that there
has been a significant gap since the last chat report. This chat
report includes comments that were made in earlier chats in an
attempt to become reasonably current. Probably only a third of
comments herein were made during the 8/22 chat.

=============

Jeff Moy will do the pencils for LSH #89 while his brother, Phil
Moy, will do the pencils for L* #45. Ron Boyd will ink Jeff's
work on LSH #89.

Peyer had just finished work on LSH #89.

Triad and Invisible Kid are McCraw's favorite Legionnaires, but
he likes them all.

Peyer opined that Andromeda was no longer worthy of Brainiac 5
after her involvement with the White Triangle. He pointed out
that many people were killed at the hands of the Triangle. He
conceded that Andromeda repented for her actions, but thinks that
she shouldn't be allowed to marry into the Legion because of her
actions. He was considering a Brainiac 5/Supergirl pairing. He
also noted that the comments were just his opinion and either
were subject to change or may not be shared by the next writer.

Peyer thinks Invisible Kid is the most underused Legionnaire.

Saturn Girl's eyes are blue. The formula is B 100%.

Peyer became choked up when several fans admitted that they cared
more about the Legion characters than him.

Moy noted that there were no tongues in L* #41. He indicated
that he was trying to make them more of a rarity now. McCraw
noted that readers could look for a "Moy tongue" or two in L*
#45.

Peyer knows who won the Legion leader election, and the results
will show up in the stories in about 4 months. He thinks that
readers will be pleased with the results.

Shrinking Violet receiving the Emerald Eye was not the only story
possibility that the creators considered. Other Legionnaires
that were candidates for the Eye included Andromeda and Saturn
Girl.

Peyer observed that Internet Legion fans have Klordny on the
brains.

McCraw hopes not to see Glorith for a while. He thinks she was
overused.

There are no plans for the Time Trapper in either of the Legion
books right now. McCraw noted that the Trapper will be whoever
they decide to make him, her, or it in the postboot and will not
necessarily be Cosmic Boy.

There are no plans to use Starman right now, but McCraw would
enjoy the teamup.

Peyer is pleased with the lot of characters in the 20th century
stories. He misses writing for Live Wire, Chameleon, and
Invisible Kid.

McCraw noted that Element Lad has a task to finish before he can
remain with the Legion.

McCraw thought that Kid Quantum II would be joining the Legion
only if the Amazers would let her go. He thought she was
probably happy about Leviathan's death.

McCraw stated that there wasn't a lot of rhyme and reason to the
choices of 20th century versus 30th century Legionnaires. Peyer
wanted Brainiac 5 and Gates because they are his favorite
characters. They also knew that they did not want Live Wire and
Spark to be on the same team.

McCraw noted that LSH Annual #7 presented an Adult Legion story
that the creators could control. He emphasized that the
flashbacks were told from Wildfire's point of view and that the
story was set "way, way, way in the future." McCraw hinted that
Wildfire's memories might not be totally accurate.

McCraw indicated that he thought it was up to the creators to
figure out how the annuals fit into DC continuity. He thought
that LSH Annual #7 was in continuity, but wasn't sure how the
story fit in.

McCraw conceded that the annual themes "are a pain sometimes."

McCraw indicated that it was Peyer's idea to link up XS and
Wildfire in the LSH Annual. Peyer believes that XS will go
through dating all the guys at some time.

McCraw declined to identify the black character on page 21 of LSH
Annual #7. He commented that, for now, it can be whoever the
readers think it is.

According to McCraw, the character behind Blok in that panel is
Chemical King.

Peyer revealed that the "10,000 Brainiacs" story in SHOWCASE '96
#11 & #12 will reveal an important point of Coluan history.

Peyer promised new members soon in both the 20th and 30th
centuries.

When asked if Jeff had developed a favorite character now that
Spark was not being featured in L*, Jeff responded that Shadow
Lass was growing on him. He noted that he would be drawing
Shadow Lass soon.

Peyer answered "yes and no" when asked if there were plans for
Projectra. He refused to elaborate.

The Apparition and Phase confusion will be resolved during the
20th century storyline.

LSH #89 is a Spark spotlight. Jeff is looking forward to the
pencilling assignment because Spark is his favorite character.
He commented that he wished the story were more upbeat.

There are no plans for an XS/Star Boy fling. Star Boy will have
his eyes set on someone else soon. McCraw thinks that Star Boy
will compose himself better around Dreamer in the postboot.
Dreamer is Dream Girl's postboot name.

McCraw promises that L* #43 will have lots and lots of
characters.

There are plans for the 20th century Legion to battle Dr. Psycho,
but no other 20th century villains are firmly planned yet.

The 20th century and 30th century Legion teams will crossover
with each other. The creators would reveal no more about the
crossover except that it would be happening sooner than readers
would expect. When a fan asked why the 20th century team
couldn't return with the 30th century team, the creators
answered "Good Question."

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our

Michael S Lewis

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

Let's give a big rac welcome to Spoiler Space!

"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> writes:
|> Peyer opined that Andromeda was no longer worthy of Brainiac 5
|> after her involvement with the White Triangle. He pointed out
|> that many people were killed at the hands of the Triangle. He
|> conceded that Andromeda repented for her actions, but thinks that
|> she shouldn't be allowed to marry into the Legion because of her
|> actions. He was considering a Brainiac 5/Supergirl pairing. He
|> also noted that the comments were just his opinion and either
|> were subject to change or may not be shared by the next writer.

I like this. Andromeda's actions should be forgiven, but not forgotten.

|> Peyer thinks Invisible Kid is the most underused Legionnaire.

<spit take> Huh? The last thing we need in _more_ Norg! Most underused Legionnaire
would be Cham, IMO.

|> Shrinking Violet receiving the Emerald Eye was not the only story
|> possibility that the creators considered. Other Legionnaires
|> that were candidates for the Eye included Andromeda and Saturn
|> Girl.

Was any indication made of when they made the decision to make it Vi?

|> McCraw hopes not to see Glorith for a while. He thinks she was
|> overused.

Amen, brother!

|> McCraw noted that Element Lad has a task to finish before he can
|> remain with the Legion.

To gain some tact? I mean seriously, I have no problem with his views on death,
but he can plainly see that others do not share them and he still hollers out
that there should be a celebration for Gim's passing at the funeral.

If Jan ever dies himself, (and this is NOT a vote for that to happen) I do hope
that the other Legionnaires would honor his views however and hold some sort of
party. That would make an interesting scene.

|> McCraw thought that Kid Quantum II would be joining the Legion
|> only if the Amazers would let her go.

Then I hope she stays with the Amazers a long, long time.

|> McCraw noted that LSH Annual #7 presented an Adult Legion story
|> that the creators could control. He emphasized that the
|> flashbacks were told from Wildfire's point of view and that the
|> story was set "way, way, way in the future." McCraw hinted that
|> Wildfire's memories might not be totally accurate.

Good to hear. I have no problem with the things laid out in the Annual, but I'd
like to think that we're not constrained to follow them to the letter.

|> McCraw indicated that it was Peyer's idea to link up XS and
|> Wildfire in the LSH Annual. Peyer believes that XS will go
|> through dating all the guys at some time.

*blush* On first reading, I thought this said "at the same time". While possible
with Jenni's speed, it seemed out of character....

|> McCraw declined to identify the black character on page 21 of LSH
|> Annual #7. He commented that, for now, it can be whoever the
|> readers think it is.

In other words, "we haven't decided yet"?

--
Michael Lewis
msl...@iastate.edu

Douglas Limmer

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>Peyer observed that Internet Legion fans have Klordny on the
>brains.

Well, where else are you going to keep it? In the glove compartment?

>McCraw noted that Element Lad has a task to finish before he can
>remain with the Legion.

Hasn't he been hanging out with them for a while, though? Why didn't
he leave right away (after the president thing)?

>McCraw stated that there wasn't a lot of rhyme and reason to the
>choices of 20th century versus 30th century Legionnaires. Peyer
>wanted Brainiac 5 and Gates because they are his favorite
>characters. They also knew that they did not want Live Wire and
>Spark to be on the same team.

The dartboard, eh? As long as they aren't listening to the voices in
their heads ...

>Peyer revealed that the "10,000 Brainiacs" story in SHOWCASE '96
>#11 & #12 will reveal an important point of Coluan history.

You know, I'd probably find the title cleverer if I hadn't already
seen it in a local newspaper.

>Peyer believes that XS will go
>through dating all the guys at some time.

>There are no plans for an XS/Star Boy fling.

>There are plans for the 20th century Legion to battle Dr. Psycho,

>but no other 20th century villains are firmly planned yet.

That's it! The 20th century hero returning to the 30th century is Dr.
Psycho's son, Kid Psycho!

Douglas Limmer -- lim...@math.orst.edu
So you cut me off |
And now you want in this lane | Matt Cibula,
Suffer, fool, suffer. | natuional haiku champion, 1995

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, msl...@iastate.edu (Michael S
Lewis) wrote:

>Let's give a big rac welcome to Spoiler Space!

>"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> writes:

>|> Peyer thinks Invisible Kid is the most underused Legionnaire.
>|>

><spit take> Huh? The last thing we need in _more_ Norg! Most underused Legionnaire
>would be Cham, IMO.

I don't think Lyle has been used much recently. His overuse tapered off
over a year ago.

>|> Shrinking Violet receiving the Emerald Eye was not the only story
>|> possibility that the creators considered.

>Was any indication made of when they made the decision to make it Vi?

Nope.

>|> McCraw declined to identify the black character on page 21 of LSH
>|> Annual #7. He commented that, for now, it can be whoever the
>|> readers think it is.
>|>

>In other words, "we haven't decided yet"?

Either that or "We're not telling."

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"Others promise, we deliver."
--Pollution (of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse), "Good Omens"
LLL!

Dan McEwen

Aug 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/25/96

Michael S Lewis wrote:

> Let's give a big rac welcome to Spoiler Space!

> "T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> writes:

> |> McCraw hopes not to see Glorith for a while. He thinks she was
> |> overused.
> |>

> Amen, brother!

In fact, I hope Glorith shows up and gets the same treatment she got the
first time around. She works for the Time Trapper, screws up, and is
devolved out of existence. At least we wouldn't (hopefully) have to
deal with her continued presence.

> |> McCraw thought that Kid Quantum II would be joining the Legion
> |> only if the Amazers would let her go.
>

> Then I hope she stays with the Amazers a long, long time.

Not I. I sort of like KQII. I was hoping she would replace her
brother, since more than one Legionnaire per world can join.

> |> McCraw noted that LSH Annual #7 presented an Adult Legion story
> |> that the creators could control. He emphasized that the
> |> flashbacks were told from Wildfire's point of view and that the
> |> story was set "way, way, way in the future." McCraw hinted that
> |> Wildfire's memories might not be totally accurate.
> |>

> Good to hear. I have no problem with the things laid out in the Annual, but I'd
> like to think that we're not constrained to follow them to the letter.

Agreed. We might be able to look forward to (or dread) some of the
things in the Annual, without expecting Tom's, Roger, and everyone else
on down the line to follow it exactly.

--
Daniel
djmc...@ix.netcom.com

David Gillikin

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

In article <4vqk7p$2...@news.iastate.edu>, msl...@iastate.edu says...

!

>|> McCraw noted that Element Lad has a task to finish before he can
>|> remain with the Legion.
>|>

>To gain some tact? I mean seriously, I have no problem with his views on
death,
>but he can plainly see that others do not share them and he still
hollers out
>that there should be a celebration for Gim's passing at the funeral.
>
>If Jan ever dies himself, (and this is NOT a vote for that to happen) I
do hope
>that the other Legionnaires would honor his views however and hold some
sort of
>party. That would make an interesting scene.

I think you've just missed one of the most interesting points about the
Legion. This is a group of vastly different cultures. Why should Jan
show "some tact" when he is basically mystified- maybe horrified - by the
behaviour around him.

I wish we'd see more cultural differences among the characters.

Brian Doyle

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

In article <4vqn90$5...@news.goodnet.com>, tro...@indirect.com says...

>Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, msl...@iastate.edu (Michael S
>Lewis) wrote:
>

>>Let's give a big rac welcome to Spoiler Space!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

>>In other words, "we haven't decided yet"?
>
>Either that or "We're not telling."

My take is definitly the latter - "We're not telling." The first thing that
stood out to me from that panel was this character. He seemed (to my
untrained eye) to be awfully well developed for someone we haven't seen
before. It looked like alot of thought went into him. As it sits right now,
he's on my short list (5) of people to join in #43.

Dan McEwen

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

David Gillikin wrote:

> In article <4vqk7p$2...@news.iastate.edu>, msl...@iastate.edu says...
> >

> >Let's give a big rac welcome to Spoiler Space!

> !

> >To gain some tact? I mean seriously, I have no problem with his views on
> death,
> >but he can plainly see that others do not share them and he still
> hollers out
> >that there should be a celebration for Gim's passing at the funeral.
> >
> >If Jan ever dies himself, (and this is NOT a vote for that to happen) I
> do hope
> >that the other Legionnaires would honor his views however and hold some
> sort of
> >party. That would make an interesting scene.
> >
> I think you've just missed one of the most interesting points about the
> Legion. This is a group of vastly different cultures. Why should Jan
> show "some tact" when he is basically mystified- maybe horrified - by the
> behaviour around him.
>
> I wish we'd see more cultural differences among the characters.

Another point to add about Jan is the fact that he was raised on Trom,
which had essentially *no* contact with other worlds (with the exception
of RJ and UP reps). I doubt he knew much about the death rituals of
other worlds. His behavior is perfectly in character.

--
Daniel
djmc...@ix.netcom.com

Avedon Carol

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

> Peyer opined that Andromeda was no longer worthy of Brainiac 5
> after her involvement with the White Triangle. He pointed out
> that many people were killed at the hands of the Triangle. He
> conceded that Andromeda repented for her actions, but thinks that
> she shouldn't be allowed to marry into the Legion because of her
> actions. He was considering a Brainiac 5/Supergirl pairing. He
> also noted that the comments were just his opinion and either
> were subject to change or may not be shared by the next writer.

Have to disagree. It wasn't her fault that she was brainwashed from birth
to hold those loathsome beliefs and, when it came to the crunch, she did
the right thing.

Rob Hansen <http://www.interedu.com/hansen/default.html>
(Though using Avedon Carol's account, I am not her, nor does she
read this newsgroup. Please watch those automatic attributors.)

"The work of Philip K.Dick seems increasingly to describe our
present world, while the work of Heinlein becomes more than
ever divorced from our contemporary realities." (M.Moorcock, 1993)

Dwight Williams

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

The crazy self-images that some characters develop. Case in point from the
chat report...

"Avedon Carol" (ave...@cix.compulink.co.uk) writes:
>> Peyer opined that Andromeda was no longer worthy of Brainiac 5
>> after her involvement with the White Triangle. He pointed out
>> that many people were killed at the hands of the Triangle. He
>> conceded that Andromeda repented for her actions, but thinks that
>> she shouldn't be allowed to marry into the Legion because of her
>> actions. He was considering a Brainiac 5/Supergirl pairing. He
>> also noted that the comments were just his opinion and either
>> were subject to change or may not be shared by the next writer.
>

> Have to disagree. It wasn't her fault that she was brainwashed from birth
> to hold those loathsome beliefs and, when it came to the crunch, she did
> the right thing.
>
> Rob Hansen <http://www.interedu.com/hansen/default.html>
> (Though using Avedon Carol's account, I am not her, nor does she
> read this newsgroup. Please watch those automatic attributors.)

Indeed. Now we get to watch her get _that_ lesson thru her thick skull as
her next big story arc. Ought to be fun, if it's linked to the hunting
down of Kivvun Roxxas.
--
Dwight Williams(ad...@freenet.carleton.ca) -- Orleans, Ontario, Canada

Michael S Lewis

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

gill...@clark.net (David Gillikin) writes:
|> msl...@iastate.edu says...

|> >To gain some tact? I mean seriously, I have no problem with his views on
|> death,
|> >but he can plainly see that others do not share them and he still
|> hollers out
|> >that there should be a celebration for Gim's passing at the funeral.
|> >
|> >If Jan ever dies himself, (and this is NOT a vote for that to happen) I
|> do hope
|> >that the other Legionnaires would honor his views however and hold some
|> sort of
|> >party. That would make an interesting scene.
|> >

|> I think you've just missed one of the most interesting points about the
|> Legion. This is a group of vastly different cultures. Why should Jan
|> show "some tact" when he is basically mystified- maybe horrified - by the
|> behaviour around him.
|>
|> I wish we'd see more cultural differences among the characters.

I don't feel I've missed this point; I do believe that it makes for some interesting
stories. My problem is just a nit-picky one in his addressing the issue at Gim's funeral.
As you point out, he is mystified by the sorrow others feel at Gim's death. But I have
to believe that Jan's been around the Legion long enough to understand other's death
customs. (After all, he met them during the White Triangle story, which resulted in
_lots_ of deaths on Earth).

My point is that, assuming he knew that the others did not share his views on death, he
either chose a _very_ inappropriate time to try and convince them of his views, or he
simply didn't care what they thought. Neither of these views reflects too strongly on Jan.

Of course, the other alternative is that Jan is feeling the pain of Gim's death as
strongly as anyone, and is simply trying to hide it. I like this idea on one hand, but
hope that they don't take this road, for the very reason you point out: it would rob
the Legion of some of its cultural differences.

And I do echo your point about that. Perhaps we'll get more of that if/when they follow
up on the Cham as pope story...

Michael S Lewis

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

Dan McEwen <djmc...@ix.netcom.com> writes:
|> Another point to add about Jan is the fact that he was raised on Trom,
|> which had essentially *no* contact with other worlds (with the exception
|> of RJ and UP reps). I doubt he knew much about the death rituals of
|> other worlds. His behavior is perfectly in character.

This is a good point, but I don't think it covers it. As I say in another post
(which was posted after Dan's), Jan's been around the Legion, R.J., and other
Earth-folks during some pretty death-filled times (White Triangle), and I would
expect would have a hard time avoiding learning about their death beliefs, at
least on a superficial level (ie. death=loss).

Here's how the scene would work better in my mind:

The funeral is ending, and people are milling around somberly.
Jan takes Luornu aside and speaks to her in a low voice:
"Why is everyone so sad? Don't they realize we should be
_celebrating_ Gim's change?"

Luornu: "Well, that's not the way people here view death, Jan.
We mourn the fact that Gim's not with us anymore. Inside, we are
glad that he's gone on to a better place, but we also miss him
very much."

This could be the end of the scene, and would leave me feeling better about Jan,
who would now be acknowledging the different beliefs while honoring them.
What would be better yet, but may not fit the tone of the book,
would be for the conversation to then lead further to an deeper discussion of death
beliefs. This would lead to an exploration of Gim's Jewish background, Trom's ideas,
etc. It could prove to be a powerful sequence, IMO.

All of that being said, I am going to reread these issues to see if my initial
perceptions on Jan's comments could be overreactions. Fundamental religious beliefs
do tend to be an area that gets tied up in my own personal baggage. Which, I suppose,
makes it slightly odd that two of the themes I'd like to see followed up on are Jan's
views and Cham's religious status.

Dan McEwen

Aug 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/27/96

Avedon Carol wrote:

> > Peyer opined that Andromeda was no longer worthy of Brainiac 5
> > after her involvement with the White Triangle. He pointed out
> > that many people were killed at the hands of the Triangle. He
> > conceded that Andromeda repented for her actions, but thinks that
> > she shouldn't be allowed to marry into the Legion because of her
> > actions. He was considering a Brainiac 5/Supergirl pairing. He
> > also noted that the comments were just his opinion and either
> > were subject to change or may not be shared by the next writer.
>
> Have to disagree. It wasn't her fault that she was brainwashed from birth
> to hold those loathsome beliefs and, when it came to the crunch, she did
> the right thing.

Totally agree. A lot of people like to claim that they're such bad
people because of the way they were raised. Well, Andromeda realized
that the way she was raised was _wrong_, and changed. If she can't
_ever_ be forgiven, then I can't imagine how Vi will deal with a similar
rejection.

--
Daniel
djmc...@ix.netcom.com

David Emerson

Aug 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/28/96

In <4vvpk7$t...@news.iastate.edu>, msl...@iastate.edu (Michael S Lewis) writes:
>...Jan's been around the Legion, R.J., and other

>Earth-folks during some pretty death-filled times (White Triangle), and I would
>expect would have a hard time avoiding learning about their death beliefs, at
>least on a superficial level (ie. death=loss).

Agreed. It seems glaringly obvious to me that Jan's line in this scene came
not from himself, but from the writer, who felt a need to point out that Jan's
beliefs and customs are different from ours.

The same could have been accomplished, while remaining true to the established
character and experience of Jan Arrah, by having him just quietly mention to
one of the others, "I still can't quite understand your custom of grieving for
one who has undergone the Great Change."

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
David Emerson

Carl Fink

Aug 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/29/96

In article <1996Aug2...@riph7.rice.edu>,

mor...@riph5.rice.edu (Elmo Goes to Monte Carlo) wrote:
>"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> writes:

>> He was considering a Brainiac 5/Supergirl pairing.
>

>But Kara's dead?

The *other* Supergirl, Greg. Shapeshifter, turns (turned) invisible,
psychic blasts, you know?
--
Carl Fink ca...@panix.com madsci...@genie.com
Dueling Modems Note new URL! http://www.dm.net

"All generalizations are dangerous, even this one"
Alexandre Dumas fils

Elmo Goes to Monte Carlo

Aug 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/29/96

"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> writes:
> Peyer opined that Andromeda was no longer worthy of Brainiac 5
> after her involvement with the White Triangle. He pointed out
> that many people were killed at the hands of the Triangle. He
> conceded that Andromeda repented for her actions, but thinks that
> she shouldn't be allowed to marry into the Legion because of her
> actions.

I personally believing in forgiving most sins. Andromeda has clearly
genuinely repented. Holding a grudge against her would be pointless
and counter-productive.

Also, I want her back in the book :-)

> He was considering a Brainiac 5/Supergirl pairing.

But Kara's dead?
--
"Personally, when I'm planning a city on a perfectly ordinary Class M planet on
which my species had evolved, I put a dome over it to uh, keep the birds out,

elmo (mor...@physics.rice.edu,mor...@fnalv.fnal.gov)
http://www.bonner.rice.edu/morrow

Dan McEwen

Aug 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/29/96

Elmo Goes to Monte Carlo wrote:

> "T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> writes:
> > Peyer opined that Andromeda was no longer worthy of Brainiac 5
> > after her involvement with the White Triangle. He pointed out
> > that many people were killed at the hands of the Triangle. He
> > conceded that Andromeda repented for her actions, but thinks that
> > she shouldn't be allowed to marry into the Legion because of her
> > actions.
>
> I personally believing in forgiving most sins. Andromeda has clearly
> genuinely repented. Holding a grudge against her would be pointless
> and counter-productive.

Agreed. Andromeda has definitely repented. Besides, Andromeda doesn't
need to _marry into_ the Legion when she already has membership!

> Also, I want her back in the book :-)

Me, too!

> > He was considering a Brainiac 5/Supergirl pairing.
>
> But Kara's dead?

Kara _Zor-El_ is dead, but Kara formerly Zor-L lives, as does Alien
Kara. Still, my vote goes to a Brainiac 5/Andromeda pairing.

--
Daniel
djmc...@worldnet.att.net

Felix J. Torres

Aug 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/29/96

In article <1996Aug2...@riph7.rice.edu>, mor...@riph5.rice.edu (Elmo Goes to Monte Carlo) says:

>"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> writes:
>> Peyer opined that Andromeda was no longer worthy of Brainiac 5
>> after her involvement with the White Triangle. He pointed out
>> that many people were killed at the hands of the Triangle. He
>> conceded that Andromeda repented for her actions, but thinks that
>> she shouldn't be allowed to marry into the Legion because of her
>> actions.
>
>I personally believing in forgiving most sins. Andromeda has clearly
>genuinely repented. Holding a grudge against her would be pointless
>and counter-productive.
>
>Also, I want her back in the book :-)

That alone won't work.
However, that the LSH has never been vindictive (well, except once)
ought to ensure her a return. The thing is, she needs to forgive
*herself* before she comes back. And, even then, they would have to
*ask* her. She's too ashamed to come back on her own for anything
less than Brainy's deathbed.

>> He was considering a Brainiac 5/Supergirl pairing.
>
>But Kara's dead?

No, Kara's stuck in a space capsule headed for Earth.
So far, she doesn't even know she's Kryptonian. :-)

It'll be a while before she's ready to take over from
Matrix...

Elmoman and O'Brien

Aug 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/30/96

ca...@panix.com (Carl Fink) writes:

> mor...@riph5.rice.edu (Elmo Goes to Monte Carlo) wrote:
>>"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> writes:
>>> He was considering a Brainiac 5/Supergirl pairing.
>>
>>But Kara's dead?
>
> The *other* Supergirl, Greg. Shapeshifter, turns (turned) invisible,
> psychic blasts, you know?

Pshaw. A jumped-up pretender. They had to stoop to Peter David to get
someone to write her book.

In the absense of Kara Zor-El, Laurel is the only adequate substitute.
--
"Hot Stuff 2099: Hot Stuff, Son of Satan. In the first issue, Hot Stuff claims
the soul of Little Audrey. High eldritch comedy ensues! "

elmo (mor...@physics.rice.edu,mor...@fnalv.fnal.gov)
http://www.bonner.rice.edu/morrow

Jonathan D. Roth

Aug 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/31/96

fjto...@lerc.nasa.gov (Felix J. Torres) wrote:

>In article <1996Aug2...@riph7.rice.edu>, mor...@riph5.rice.edu (Elmo Goes to Monte Carlo) says:
>>
>>"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> writes:

>>> Peyer opined that Andromeda was no longer worthy of Brainiac 5
>>> after her involvement with the White Triangle. He pointed out
>>> that many people were killed at the hands of the Triangle. He
>>> conceded that Andromeda repented for her actions, but thinks that
>>> she shouldn't be allowed to marry into the Legion because of her
>>> actions.
>>
>>I personally believing in forgiving most sins. Andromeda has clearly
>>genuinely repented. Holding a grudge against her would be pointless
>>and counter-productive.
>>
>>Also, I want her back in the book :-)
>>

>That alone won't work.
>However, that the LSH has never been vindictive (well, except once)
>ought to ensure her a return. The thing is, she needs to forgive
>*herself* before she comes back. And, even then, they would have to
>*ask* her. She's too ashamed to come back on her own for anything
>less than Brainy's deathbed.

HMM.wonder if there is any Carr blood in her?I just made the
connection actually remembered that Snapper Carr acted
in the same manner after he betrayed the JLofA.Where is
Superwoman these days or is Jimmy Olsens Great Great
granddaughter no longer in the 30th cen.?
Jonathan Roth can be reached at jdr...@hsonline.net

DScottDoty

Sep 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/2/96

In article <3223C4...@ix.netcom.com>, Dan McEwen
<djmc...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

>Totally agree. A lot of people like to claim that they're such bad
>people because of the way they were raised. Well, Andromeda realized
>that the way she was raised was _wrong_, and changed. If she can't
>_ever_ be forgiven, then I can't imagine how Vi will deal with a similar
>rejection.

Two points:
1) I agree. Anywhere discrimination, slavery, or genocide have been
practiced, there is *always* someone saying it's wrong. Maybe it's
just individuals shouting alone into the dark, or a well-organized
underground, or open dissidents and rebels, but there is always
someone pointing out the immorality of the actions. We have to
realize that it's the norm in those cultures, but it is absolutely untrue
that people in those periods or places have just never had call
to examine those beliefs. It's no excuse, and Andromeda realized
that.

2) Has anyone else noticed that Vi was the only one who really
seemed to sympathize with Andy and try to understand her, even
after her death? (Brainy wasn't trying to *sympathize* <g>)
What do you want to bet that the eye is playing off of that, cuasing
her to cast herself in Andy's place, imagining all of those harsh
feelings she saw wxpressed to Andy now aimed at her? It adds a
whole new level to the "they now think you're a villain" tactic.

Dave Doty

Tony IsabElmo

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

xoa...@unm.edu (Timothy Kristian Soholt) writes:
> Not that I think anything the Legion has done recently has been a dumb
> idea (well, maybe the Amazers, but they were _supposed_ to seem dopey),
> but I'd love to see Peter David do a Legion story. He has a real feel for
> character, not to mention a wonderfully goofy sense of humor. He might
> have a bit too much of a dark streak for the current Legion, though.

Mmph. Based on Hook Hand Guy, I don't want Peter David coming anywhere
near the Legion. (In general, Peter David writes DC characters like
they were Marvel characters; if I wanted to read Marvel characters,
I'd be buying Marvel comics.)
--
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."--Bertrand Russell

elmo (mor...@physics.rice.edu,mor...@fnalv.fnal.gov)
http://www.bonner.rice.edu/morrow

Don Brinker's Evil Twin

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

mor...@riph5.rice.edu (Tony IsabElmo) wrote:

>xoa...@unm.edu (Timothy Kristian Soholt) writes:
>> Not that I think anything the Legion has done recently has been a dumb
>> idea (well, maybe the Amazers, but they were _supposed_ to seem dopey),
>> but I'd love to see Peter David do a Legion story. He has a real feel for
>> character, not to mention a wonderfully goofy sense of humor. He might
>> have a bit too much of a dark streak for the current Legion, though.

>Mmph. Based on Hook Hand Guy, I don't want Peter David coming anywhere
>near the Legion. (In general, Peter David writes DC characters like
>they were Marvel characters; if I wanted to read Marvel characters,
>I'd be buying Marvel comics.)

Well, to this day I wonder how much of Harpoon Hand Aquaman is PAD's
idea and how much of it is Dooley's. All of PAD's justifications for
it sound suspiciously like Dooleyspeak ("We needed something to
attract new readers blah blah blah").

Besides, didn't PAD do an enjoyable fill-in on Valor awhile back?

- Don

SDelMonte

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

In article <1996Sep...@riph7.rice.edu>, mor...@riph5.rice.edu (Tony
IsabElmo) writes:

>xoa...@unm.edu (Timothy Kristian Soholt) writes:
>> Not that I think anything the Legion has done recently has been a dumb
>> idea (well, maybe the Amazers, but they were _supposed_ to seem dopey),

>> but I'd love to see Peter David do a Legion story. He has a real feel
for
>> character, not to mention a wonderfully goofy sense of humor. He might
>> have a bit too much of a dark streak for the current Legion, though.
>
>Mmph. Based on Hook Hand Guy, I don't want Peter David coming anywhere
>near the Legion. (In general, Peter David writes DC characters like
>they were Marvel characters; if I wanted to read Marvel characters,
>I'd be buying Marvel comics.)

I thought PAD writes all comics characters like they were in Star Trek
novels. :)

Actually, apropos of nothing, PAD threw in a Legion reference in his Trek
novel, "Imzadi," when one character says that something could be heard
"all the way to Rimbor." So I guess he must a a bit of a fan. Which
means that sooner or later, he will get to do something - I suspect that
between Capt. Hook and Linda Danvers, PAD will have the chance to handle
all of DC.

Simon DelMonte
"If I'd known that a common enemy could bring us together,
I would have invented one years ago." - Lex Luthor

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

Don Brinker's Evil Twin (dbri...@earthlink.net) wrote:
: mor...@riph5.rice.edu (Tony IsabElmo) wrote:
: >Mmph. Based on Hook Hand Guy, I don't want Peter David coming anywhere

: >near the Legion. (In general, Peter David writes DC characters like
: >they were Marvel characters; if I wanted to read Marvel characters,
: >I'd be buying Marvel comics.)

: Well, to this day I wonder how much of Harpoon Hand Aquaman is PAD's

: idea and how much of it is Dooley's. All of PAD's justifications for
: it sound suspiciously like Dooleyspeak ("We needed something to
: attract new readers blah blah blah").

I believe the idea was pretty much 100% Peter's, and Kevin backed him up
on it with the PTB.

- Elayne
--
E-Mail me, the "Firehead Head," for more info about the official ()~~
Firesign Theatre newsletter, Four-Alarm FIRESIGNal, available via ##