LSH AOL Chat with McCraw, Moy & Boyd - 1/16/96

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jan 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/20/96
Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy and Ron Boyd were the guests on America Online's Legion
of Super-Heroes Chat for Tuesday, January 16, 1996. Keith Giffen put in a
brief cameo appearance. LSH Chat is held in the DC Online Chat area of AOL
every Tuesday night at 6:00 p.m. EST. Previous guests have included Tom
Peyer, Tom McCraw, Mark Waid, Roger Stern, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd, KC Carlson, and
Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER - This report is presented for your information only. It may or
may not be reliable depending on whether I want to read an old chat log or
just make something up.

SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil recently released or upcoming
comics is placed at the end of the report. There is no intervening Spoiler
Space.

SUBSCRIPTIONS - If you'd like to receive these chat reports via e-mail, please
drop me at line at "tro...@indirect.com". Lev Kalman has assumed
responsibility for distributing his MIME-encoded humorous LSH pics. Send a
message to "LevK...@gnn.com" if you'd like to subscribe to the weekly pics.

SPECIAL THANKS - To Andrew Woodard and Lev Kalman for forwarding copies of the
chat logs that enabled me to compile this report.

==========================

Tom has heard that there may be two LSH stories in SHOWCASE '96. Mike
McAvennie will be editing, and Tom may write one of the stories. Tom opined
that the LSH Academy story didn't fit in well with the current team.

Keith Giffen won't be doing do an LSH mini-series. He is working on Fate and
some Lobo stuff for DC.

There will be a Legionnaires Chat Hour on AOL timed for the west coasters.
The time is still uncertain, but Thursdays at 10:00 p.m. EST is being
discussed.

Tom is hoping to make it to the Chicago Convention this summer.

Jeff is working on a print to give away at the conventions this year. The
sketch will have Saturn Girl, Andromeda, Spark, XS, Triad

Tom likes XS' name. He declines to color her costume red because there are
too many Flash characters already. Her costume's colors make her stand out
more.

Jeff doesn't want to see Doomsday fight the Legion. (ED - Legion in 1.)

Tom shuddered when asked to remember Tyroc.

The Legionnaires appear on the DC Power Chrome cards. There wasn't a Triad
card.

Tom is currently co-plotting LSH #83 and coloring L* #80. Jeff is waiting for
the script on L* #38.

Jeff is trying to make the tongues more difficult to find. L* #37 almost
didn't have a tongue, but Cory Carani will add one when he inks the issue.
Jeff is holding off on an all-tongue roll call.

Tom wouldn't reveal anything about Tom Peyer's possible LSH mini-series.

Gates is a new character. Tom opined that Gates and Tellus together would be
kind of like the Odd Couple. He offered that either Gates was stronger in his
first appearance when he teleported a grown Leviathan or Chuck is lying about
his weight.

Apparition will not be back in the fall. Tom noted that fans will always
whine about Tinya, and that maybe they should do a flashback story with her.

Tom would like to see Impulse in the Legion. He's talked to Mark Waid about
the possibility, but Mark has a few stories to tell first in Impulse.

Patrick Martin colors the Legion covers, and he goofed on Shrinking Violet's
eyes on L* #34. Vi's eyes are violet.

Jeff ominously notes that some skirts will be coming back.

Whether Chuck Taine receives bouncing powers is still an "if", not a "when".

The Brainiac 5 spotlight issue will only lead to more stuff. There are no
plans for Nara's return yet.

Live Wire will be returning sometime. He's still jealous of his sister,
Spark. We'll see Live Wire in a few months, but don't expect much right now
with the Fatal Five story.

The leader election will be when KC decides that it will be.

Tom is proud of how the Fatal Five story turned out. When asked why a planet
would engineer a man with a big axe to fight the Sun Eater, Tom said that we'd
have to find out why.

The Legionnaires do appear in L* #35, but they are not the main focus.

Ferro is being discussed, but there are no firm plans yet.

There will be more Titan people shown in the upcoming Saturn Girl spotlight
issue.

Ron promises that no one dies in LSH #80 but his inking brush. He says the
issue is packed full o' stuff and that any tidbits would ruin a great story.
(ED - L* #35 focuses on the books' supporting characters.)

Tom offers that LSH #80 ties up a lot of stuff. The following issue of
Legionnaires leaves the Legion deciding to stay or go. the Legionnaires will
have a lot of decisions to make after LSH #80. There will be a few short
stories after that.

Dirk is returning. If he joins the Legion, it will be as "Sun Boy".

Dr. Gym'll is returning. Tom opined that Gates and Gym'll would either get
along well or hate each other more than anyone else. Tom can see the two
hanging out at a bar somewhere.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"I cannot believe what passes for funny around here."

Auphanim

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
Skirts returning??????
I foresee.......the original costume of "Valorette" shown in V4 for
Andromeda?
Projectra?
another new look for Vi??????

HMMMMMMMMM

I look forward to the LEGION in 96!!!!

BBailie1

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
>Jeff is working on a print to give away at the conventions this year.
The
>sketch will have Saturn Girl, Andromeda, Spark, XS, Triad

Oh, dear. That's it, then.

Zoe's doomed.

Brian

tek...@vnet.ibm.com

Jan 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/22/96
In <4dtiun$r...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> auph...@aol.com (Auphanim) writes:
>Skirts returning??????

It's Validus'. You want to make something out of it? <g>

Vic Vitek

---> These do not necessarily reflect the views of IBM, my family, my
pets, or any sane person.

(Wm. Duke Harrington)

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

>Tom has heard that there may be two LSH stories in SHOWCASE '96. Mike
>McAvennie will be editing, and Tom may write one of the stories. Tom opined
>that the LSH Academy story didn't fit in well with the current team.

I can live with ignoring that LSH Acadamy story. :) But here's an
idea....Superman and Batman have both had a shot at leading off Showcase,
how about Showcase '97 featuring a Legion story in every issue?

>Keith Giffen won't be doing do an LSH mini-series. He is working on Fate and
>some Lobo stuff for DC.

Well, thank god!!

>There will be a Legionnaires Chat Hour on AOL timed for the west coasters.
>The time is still uncertain, but Thursdays at 10:00 p.m. EST is being
>discussed.

which reminds me to once again thank Troy for these postings. Work keeps
me away from taking part in the chats personally.

BIG 8--8 Troy!!!

>Jeff is working on a print to give away at the conventions this year. The
>sketch will have Saturn Girl, Andromeda, Spark, XS, Triad

And Zoe is absent becaaauuuse.....

>Tom likes XS' name. He declines to color her costume red because there are
>too many Flash characters already. Her costume's colors make her stand out
>more.

Gee, is XS even still in the Legion?

>Tom shuddered when asked to remember Tyroc.

Duke shudders when asked to remember Quislet

>Tom wouldn't reveal anything about Tom Peyer's possible LSH mini-series.

most likely beacause its not a limited series...its an on-going series and
its called Adventure Comics!

>Gates is a new character. Tom opined that Gates and Tellus together would be
>kind of like the Odd Couple. He offered that either Gates was stronger in his
>first appearance when he teleported a grown Leviathan or Chuck is lying about
>his weight.

Or possibly, someone wasn't paying attention?

>Apparition will not be back in the fall. Tom noted that fans will always
>whine about Tinya, and that maybe they should do a flashback story with her.

Tom can flashback his little booty right back to Tinya's death scene and
retcon it NOW!!!!

>Tom would like to see Impulse in the Legion. He's talked to Mark Waid about
>the possibility, but Mark has a few stories to tell first in Impulse.

Interesting, as I remember it Kid Flash always got a lot of requests for a
cross-over back in the Adv. comics days. Impulse might be neat, and
likely as long as his cousin is a member, but I'd sooner see another
Superboy x-over

>Jeff ominously notes that some skirts will be coming back.

Doesn't Mordru wear a skirt of sorts?

>Whether Chuck Taine receives bouncing powers is still an "if", not a "when".

If is fine for a while. We don't HAVE to have everything all at once do
we?

>The Brainiac 5 spotlight issue will only lead to more stuff. There are no
>plans for Nara's return yet.

I reiterate: Nara= post-boot Saturn Queen

>The leader election will be when KC decides that it will be.

and the leader will be who Duke decides....Lyle

>Tom is proud of how the Fatal Five story turned out. When asked why a planet
>would engineer a man with a big axe to fight the Sun Eater, Tom said that we'd
>have to find out why.

Could be the same reason Gates can't figure out how much he can 'port. :)

>Ferro is being discussed, but there are no firm plans yet.
>
>There will be more Titan people shown in the upcoming Saturn Girl spotlight
>issue.

how about a Irma coaching a teenage group of telepaths...they could be
called the Teen Titans and....um, okay...*never mind*

>Dirk is returning. If he joins the Legion, it will be as "Sun Boy".

hopefully with a costume as similar as possible to the original. as with
Ultra Boy, some things *are* sacred.

>Dr. Gym'll is returning. Tom opined that Gates and Gym'll would either get
>along well or hate each other more than anyone else. Tom can see the two
>hanging out at a bar somewhere.

Dr. Gym'll--Hooray! Wonder if we'll also meet Kent Shakespere abord
Medicus One

Duke 8--8

Jeremy Johnston

Jan 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/26/96
Ravi Singh Sohal (deli...@rice.edu) wrote:
> What Legion Academy story is this? I get the idea that it was in
> Showcase recently. Or maybe that is coming up. I'm confused.

It was in Showcase some time last year (not sure of the issue number).
This issue also features a Leviathan solo, with Gigi Cusi.... (I can't
remember her last name). Neither of the stories were that great, but I
don't think they should be left out of continuity. We already had the
reboot, I don't think we should now go around picking and choosing which
stories we should keep.

From the throne of Jeremy "The E-Mail King" Johnston

I'll E-mail you back within 30 minutes, or it's... FREE
This E-mail (including all prominent characters featured within and
the distinctive likenesses thereof) is a trademark of Jeremy Johnston.

Ravi Singh Sohal

Yeechang Lee

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
Ravi Singh Sohal <deli...@rice.edu> wrote:
|What Legion Academy story is this? I get the idea that it was in
|Showcase recently. Or maybe that is coming up. I'm confused.

A "LSH Academy" story, featuring Apparition and Andromeda, appeared in
Showcase '95 #6 along with a Gim/SP story. The latter story wasn't
too bad, but the first? Ugh--better described than actually read.
Suffice it to say it does continuity much good if we all pretend the
story never happened.
--
http://www.columbia.edu/~ylee/ _.
__./ |

The Last Defender of Light Lass

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
Previously on racdl, Wm. Duke Harrington wrote:
>tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

>Superman and Batman have both had a shot at leading off Showcase,
>how about Showcase '97 featuring a Legion story in every issue?

We can always dream.

>which reminds me to once again thank Troy for these postings. Work keeps
>me away from taking part in the chats personally.

My pleasure.

>>Jeff is working on a print to give away at the conventions this year. The
>>sketch will have Saturn Girl, Andromeda, Spark, XS, Triad
>>

>And Zoe is absent becaaauuuse.....

She and Vi kill each other in an upcoming story. :) (Nah. I'm sure he just
ran out of room.)

>Gee, is XS even still in the Legion?

Sure! I hope Jessie gives the flight ring back.

>>Whether Chuck Taine receives bouncing powers is still an "if", not a "when".
>

>If is fine for a while. We don't HAVE to have everything all at once do
>we?

Legion fans aren't the most patient group of people. :)

>>The Brainiac 5 spotlight issue will only lead to more stuff. There are no
>>plans for Nara's return yet.
>

>I reiterate: Nara= post-boot Saturn Queen

I hope not. I thought Nara was of ambiguous loyalties, and I prefer my Saturn
Queens good and evil.

>>The leader election will be when KC decides that it will be.
>

>and the leader will be who Duke decides....Lyle

Duke decided wrong. Duke should decide somebody named "Imra".

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"I've been told that I should try to make the occasion a little
more enjoyable."
--Death, "Men At Arms"
LLL!

Avedon Carol

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
Duke writes:

> >Dirk is returning. If he joins the Legion, it will be as "Sun
> Boy".
> >
> hopefully with a costume as similar as possible to the original.
> as with Ultra Boy, some things *are* sacred.

Couldn't disagree more. I thought his LEGIONNAIRES costume was far
classier than the original (as were most of those Chris Sprouse designed).

Rob Hansen
(Though using Avedon Carol's account, I am not her, nor does she
read this newsgroup. Please watch those automatic attributors.)

Poste 26, lab b103

Feb 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/3/96
In article <slrn4gji2...@manila.cc.columbia.edu> yl...@manila.cc.columbia.edu (Yeechang Lee) writes:
>From: yl...@manila.cc.columbia.edu (Yeechang Lee)
>Subject: Showcase '95 #6
>Date: 27 Jan 1996 06:38:22 GMT

>Ravi Singh Sohal <deli...@rice.edu> wrote:
>|What Legion Academy story is this? I get the idea that it was in
>|Showcase recently. Or maybe that is coming up. I'm confused.

>A "LSH Academy" story, featuring Apparition and Andromeda, appeared in
>Showcase '95 #6 along with a Gim/SP story. The latter story wasn't
>too bad, but the first? Ugh--better described than actually read.
>Suffice it to say it does continuity much good if we all pretend the
>story never happened.

SINCE... the protagonist was Laurel, and

SINCE all of the aliens in the story were horribly unlikeable...

I prefer to go with the opinion that it was Laurel having a nightmare.
Danny Sichel, eds...@umoncton.ca, dedicates this post ot the memory of Dr.
Samuel Briar Maxwell, 1937-1996, victim of a short but painful struggle with
the Grey Crab, and father of my girlfriend Ada.