LSH: AOL Chats for 3/16/99 & 3/18/99: McCraw & Moy

Alex Tam

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) and Jeff Moy (L* penciller) were
the guests on America Online's Legion of Super-Heroes Chat for Tuesday,
March 16, 1999. Tom also attended Legionnaires Chat for Thursday, March
18. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat takes place every Tuesday in the DC Comics
Online area of AOL at 6:00 PM EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every
Thursday in the same area at 10:00 PM EST. (Keyword: CHAT DC.) Regular
guests include Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report. Essentially,
the Legion chats involve about fifteen fans shouting repeated questions to
the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations may
occur on my part.

SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
info from the more general comments.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: To subscribe to these chat reports, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lsh-chats". To
unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

PLUGS: To browse this fan's STARMAN website, visit
http://users.aol.com/nachro2/starhome.htm

For all your LSH online needs, check out the Legion of Super-Resources at
http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm

A BIG THANKS: To James Schee for logging Tuesday's chat.

:=========================:

Now that DC is producing action figures, Tom said we should write to DC to
request figures of the Legionnaires.

Tom said that the Legion stories will probably move into the year 3000.

Tom now wishes that Violet didn't have a green streak in her hair, since
some of the artists forget to draw it in.

While the current storyline in STARMAN sees the building of the United
Planets in the 20th Century, Tom supposes that the original UP will fail
sometime, so R.J. Brande can restart it in the 30th Century.

Tom said he'll have to swat Jeff for forgetting to draw the tattoo on
Mysa's face.

In L* #71, Chameleon knew how to effectively impersonate Domain, from
cameras at the stadium where Domain attacked, and from Cosmic Boy's
descriptions.

Jeff recently modified Apparition's costume. Tom doesn't mind, as long as
it still has a cape.

Spark appears in L* #75, and Jeff said she'll look "yummy." For now,
that'll be his fix for drawing his favorite Legionnaire, until she appears
in his Super-Pets story.

Dan Jurgens is writing and pencilling a LSH/TITANS crossover. Tom didn't
know if this would be an Elseworlds story.

The current story in L* runs from #71-#73, followed by an epilogue issue in
#74. When this story is over, Dirk Morgna "won't be completely powerless,"
according to Tom.

-- Alex Tam
gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

SDelMonte

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
In article <3.0.1.32.1999032...@pop.intergate.bc.ca>, Alex Tam
<gol...@intergate.bc.ca> writes:

>While the current storyline in STARMAN sees the building of the United
>Planets in the 20th Century, Tom supposes that the original UP will fail
>sometime, so R.J. Brande can restart it in the 30th Century.

Clearly, the original UP evolves into the United Federation of Planets. This
lasts well into the 24th century but collapses under the weight of Star Trek
continuity and the low quality of Voyager. The new Dark Ages followed, when on
Babylon 5 is man's last hope. Later still, Raj Blake must bring down a new
evil federation, and at long last Princess Leia Organa brings about a new
republic and passes the reins on to RJ Brande.

Simon DelMonte
Who wnats to find a way to fit "Planet of the Apes" in here, too

WildCard

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
In article <19990323070816...@ngol01.aol.com>,

Well, that's obvious! In the 26th century, there was the Great
Disaster. The Planet of the Apes was obviously the time during which
humanity was acting animal-like and the apes had to preserve
civilization. This situation was of course resolved by Kamandi, who
helped humanity regain their "rightful" spot as dominate species on
Earth.

See, I told you it was obvious (if you ignore the Flash-based history,
that is :)

WildCard
--
_ __ _ __ | I see the girls walk by dressed in
' ) / // / / ) / | their summer clothes, I have to turn

Ben Weiss

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
WildCard wrote:

> In article <19990323070816...@ngol01.aol.com>,
> SDelMonte <sdel...@aol.com> wrote:
> >In article <3.0.1.32.1999032...@pop.intergate.bc.ca>, Alex Tam
> ><gol...@intergate.bc.ca> writes:
> >
> >Simon DelMonte
> >Who wnats to find a way to fit "Planet of the Apes" in here, too
>
> Well, that's obvious! In the 26th century, there was the Great
> Disaster. The Planet of the Apes was obviously the time during which
> humanity was acting animal-like and the apes had to preserve
> civilization. This situation was of course resolved by Kamandi, who
> helped humanity regain their "rightful" spot as dominate species on
> Earth.

Silly me. And here I thought Planet of the Apes was set in the 32nd
century, after Koko completes his slightly delayed takeover of the
universe.
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

SDelMonte

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
In article <36F7F87A...@earthlink.net>, Ben Weiss
<benw...@earthlink.net> writes:

>> Well, that's obvious! In the 26th century, there was the Great
>> Disaster. The Planet of the Apes was obviously the time during which
>> humanity was acting animal-like and the apes had to preserve
>> civilization. This situation was of course resolved by Kamandi, who
>> helped humanity regain their "rightful" spot as dominate species on
>> Earth.
>
>Silly me. And here I thought Planet of the Apes was set in the 32nd
>century, after Koko completes his slightly delayed takeover of the
>universe.

"Sprock you! Sprock you all to Tartarus! You finally went and did it!"
and
"Get your tentacles off me, you nassin' dirty Durlan."

Simian DelMonte

plaid lad!

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99

SDelMonte wrote in message <19990323070816...@ngol01.aol.com>...

[foundations of the federation and barely avoiding a lawsuit by the Asimov
Estate in the process... ]

>Clearly, the original UP evolves into the United Federation of Planets.
This
>lasts well into the 24th century but collapses under the weight of Star
Trek
>continuity and the low quality of Voyager. The new Dark Ages followed,
when on
>Babylon 5 is man's last hope. Later still, Raj Blake must bring down a new
>evil federation, and at long last Princess Leia Organa brings about a new
>republic and passes the reins on to RJ Brande.

but aren't you creating a time-paradox in which i would become my own
grandpa or something? if so, i'm here to tell you that is impossible as i
have never set foot in West Virginia.

-plaid lad!-

Michael Long

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
I read somewhere once that there is a theory that someday our universe will
end and be replaced by a universe that defies logic and will be totally
chaotic and full of paradoxes and confusion.The other side of that theory is
that it's already happened.

So basically all these stories that we are seeing might have actually
already happened-not in some Hypertimed future but in a long-ago forgotten
past before our reality was created.The stories in comics are actually seeds
planted in our minds of the universe(universes) that came before us.
MBLong

Dave

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
In article <7dajg0$3...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>,

You know, you'd never get this kind of pithy dialogue and witty banter in any
of the Marvel newsgroups. :)

Dave

Dale Hicks

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
Michael Long <mbl...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article <7dajg0$3...@dfw-ixnews6.ix.netcom.com>...

> I read somewhere once that there is a theory that someday our universe will
> end and be replaced by a universe that defies logic and will be totally
> chaotic and full of paradoxes and confusion.The other side of that theory is
> that it's already happened.

Douglas Adams, somewhere in the Hitchhiker trilogy

--
Cranial Crusader dhi...@gibralter.net

ReLect0

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99
You know, you'd never get this kind of pithy dialogue and witty banter in any
of the Marvel newsgroups. :)>>

Come now. You don't see the wit and greatness of stuff like " WoLvErInE RuLz
AnD aLl WhO dOn'T tHiNk So SuCk!"? You're crazy!:0

ReLect0
Hey, NATO, can you spare some nukes for Tibet?

ReLect0

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99
>> Well, that's obvious! In the 26th century, there was the Great
>> Disaster. The Planet of the Apes was obviously the time during which
>> humanity was acting animal-like and the apes had to preserve
>> civilization. This situation was of course resolved by Kamandi, who
>> helped humanity regain their "rightful" spot as dominate species on
>> Earth.
>
>Silly me. And here I thought Planet of the Apes was set in the 32nd
>century, after Koko completes his slightly delayed takeover of the
>universe.

"Sprock you! Sprock you all to Tartarus! You finally went and did it!"
and
"Get your tentacles off me, you nassin' dirty Durlan."

Was I the only one who rented an ape suit when John Glenn returned from space?
ReLect0
Of course I wouldn't. I bought that baby.

Craig and/or Cecilia

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99
Alex Tam wrote:

Spoilers, of course (what else is in a chat report?....)

> The current story in L* runs from #71-#73, followed by an epilogue issue in
> #74. When this story is over, Dirk Morgna "won't be completely powerless,"
> according to Tom.

ahem...

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh please oh please oh please, let there be Sun Boy!, and the biggest
injustice from v4 (and somewhat from the reboot, for that matter) will
be righted.

All of the major "original" Legionnaires from the early Adventure days
have been made significant, regular cast members EXCEPT for
Sun Boy (sure, Gim is dead, but he had a major role before that). All but
one. Bugs the crap out of me (as I've said before...)

I have to admit, the books have been a little shaky lately, but the quality of

L*#71 combined with this is making things look up!

---Craig---

Michael Long

Mar 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/28/99

Craig and/or Cecilia wrote in message
<36FCB839...@SPAMMENOTsprintmail.com>...
Tenzil's a major significant character?
MBLong

Craig and/or Cecilia

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99
Michael Long wrote:

> Craig and/or Cecilia wrote in message
> <36FCB839...@SPAMMENOTsprintmail.com>...
> Tenzil's a major significant character?
> MBLong

Insofar as he's at least a regular cast member, i.e. someone we see every few

issues who's around the clubhouse. Dirk was completely written out there for a
while.

Admittedly, if you're a Tenzil fan, you probably won't be happy until he's a
member, butat least you know a) that he's a regular cast member, and b) he
has his powers from pre-boot, so he could be made a member at any time.

I'd say the other character from the early Adventure years who now has
currently about the same status as Tenzil is Nura...she still has her powers,
she's a regular supporting cast character,but she's not a member.

I'd say Chuck is worse off than Tenzil since, although he is a regular
character,
he has no powers.

However, with the exception of Nura, I myself am happy just to have these
characters around without being members, as their powers are now a little ...
dated. However, for the sake of the people who are big fans of Tenz and/or
Chuck, I'd also like to see them become members. If they weren't around
at ALL, I'd be just as angry as I was about Dirk.

As for Nura, was important enough pre-boot that I feel she should be a
member again.

Boy I'm long-winded. Anyway, the bottom line with regard to Dirk was:
he was (until now, hopefully) the only member from the early Adventure
years who was not in the regular cast, whether a member or not.

---Craig---