LSH: AOL Chats for 9/29/98 & 10/01/98: McCraw & Moy

Alex Tam

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) and Jeff Moy (L* penciller) were
the guests on America Online's Legion of Super-Heroes Chat for Tuesday,
September 29, 1998. McCraw also attended the Legionnaires Chat for
Thursday, October 1, 1998. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat takes place every
Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 PM EST. Legionnaires
Chat is held every Thursday in the same area at 10:00 PM EST. (Keyword:
CHAT DC.) Regular guests include Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd and Mike
McAvennie.

Thanks to T. Troy McNemar who originated the Legion Chat Reports; so much
of the format of these writeups was derived from his hard work.

DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report. Essentially,
the Legion chats involve about twenty-five fans shouting repeated questions
to the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations may
occur on my part.

SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
info from the more general comments.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: To subscribe to these chat reports, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lsh-chats". To
unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

PLUGS: To subscribe to Lev Kalman's humorous LSH pics, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lev-pics". You'll get
his new cartoons sent to your e-mailbox.

To browse this fan's STARMAN website, visit
http://users.aol.com/nachro2/starhome.htm

Finally, for all your LSH online needs, check out the Legion of
Super-Resources at
http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm

BIG PLUG: Arch-Type Studios' PERIPHERY #1 is now solicited in the October
PREVIEWS on pg. 238. PERIPHERY is a bi-monthly, B&W, 48 pg. anthology of
science fiction/fantasy/humor/surreal/etc. stories. Issues #2-3 will
feature short stories pencilled by me. You can order your copies through
your comic shop by October 10th, or e-mail mluc...@idt.net for more
information on this small-press publication.

SPECIAL THANKS: To XXXXXXXXXX for his assistance in logging tonight's chat.

:=========================:

Tom has received more than half of the pages for LEGENDS OF THE DC
UNIVERSE: CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS. He likes working on Paul Ryan's
pencilling. Also, Tom is sure that the CRISIS hardcover won't be reprinted
in softcover. He's heard that the book's pre-orders are better than
originally expected.

Tom has a proposal for the return of the Wanderers.

Another Superboy/Legion crossover is being discussed.

Tom mentioned that editor Mike McAvennie seems to be in favor of another
election for Legion leader, but they don't know when that would take place.

The Legion team has creative control over Thunder, with POWER OF SHAZAM!
writer Jerry Ordway's blessing.

Maybe the Legion's brief mention in MARTIAN MANHUNTER #1,000,000 will be
expanded on, according to Tom. But there are no plans for DC ONE MILLION's
main villains Solaris and Vandal Savage, both known to exist in the 30th
Century.

Tom is sure that Shadder from LEGION: SCIENCE POLICE will return.

The White Witch will be seen next year.

The production department changed Imra's costume in L* #65. Jeff
originally drew her in Legion uniform, but that was altered to become her
Science Police outfit. She's now back as Legion leader.

Tom is glad that Keith Giffen didn't use his 9-panel grids for LSH
#1,000,000; Tom said that Giffen's work is difficult to color.

Tom clarified that Wildfire isn't trapped inside the paper of LSH
#1,000,000, but rather that the sheet is a link to the world beyond the
tesseract of the three teenagers. The ending of the story is ambiguous;
maybe the teens are still in the tesseract, or on the normal Earth, or it's
all a delusion. Whatever the answer is, they're "where they wanted to be,"
Tom said.

Sensor and Karate Kid will meet soon. As for Nemesis Kid, Tom can't say
anything about him yet.

Jeff doesn't mind the team temporarily dividing into two smaller groups per
se, but he does think it's time for him to draw Ayla again.

Tom said that the Metal Men are expected to guest star.

Jeff is now working on an issue that features Dirk Morgna. (According to
previous reports, this should be L* #70.)

Tom says to "look for a brief appearance of Catspaw soon," and "Zoe will
get back to reality soon enough."

-- Alex Tam
gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

Dan McEwen

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
On 2 Oct 1998 11:10:56 GMT, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

>Tom mentioned that editor Mike McAvennie seems to be in favor of another
>election for Legion leader, but they don't know when that would take place.

How often were they during preboot (except v4, naturally)? If Levitz
could maintain leadership elections, I don't see why Peyer, Stern, and
McCraw can't do it.

>The Legion team has creative control over Thunder, with POWER OF SHAZAM!
>writer Jerry Ordway's blessing.

Kind of hard to keep control of a character when the "group" she might
have belonged to loses its book.

>Maybe the Legion's brief mention in MARTIAN MANHUNTER #1,000,000 will be
>expanded on, according to Tom. But there are no plans for DC ONE MILLION's
>main villains Solaris and Vandal Savage, both known to exist in the 30th
>Century.

Fine with me. We do "know" (assuming what happened in DC1M actually
occurs) that MM will return to help the Legion against a major threat.
I suspect it's *not* Darkseid, since I think MM would have mentioned
it.

>The White Witch will be seen next year.

"White Witch"? Not Mysa? Or Mysa as White Witch? Personally, while
I did like the White Witch, I kind of like postboot Mysa for herself.
She's certainly different enough.

>Tom clarified that Wildfire isn't trapped inside the paper of LSH
>#1,000,000, but rather that the sheet is a link to the world beyond the
>tesseract of the three teenagers. The ending of the story is ambiguous;
>maybe the teens are still in the tesseract, or on the normal Earth, or it's
>all a delusion. Whatever the answer is, they're "where they wanted to be,"
>Tom said.

I guess it doesn't matter since we'll probably never see them again,
but it doesn't make for a good sense of closure if you can't even
explain what happened.

>Sensor and Karate Kid will meet soon. As for Nemesis Kid, Tom can't say
>anything about him yet.

Sensor and KK? Well, they *are* teammates. I'm surprised they
haven't met yet. As for NK, well, if Tom can't say anything, it means
there are plans.

>Jeff doesn't mind the team temporarily dividing into two smaller groups per
>se, but he does think it's time for him to draw Ayla again.

This is temporary? I thought it was a permanent split. Well, at
least the team won't be pointlessly stuck in the 20th century.

>Tom said that the Metal Men are expected to guest star.

Uh-oh, here's comes Zero Hour 2! :)

>Jeff is now working on an issue that features Dirk Morgna. (According to
>previous reports, this should be L* #70.)

As long as he's not a villain and he has powers.

>Tom says to "look for a brief appearance of Catspaw soon," and "Zoe will
>get back to reality soon enough."

Are those two things related? Maybe Catspaw (is this the preboot
version or the girl from the Legion Tryouts?) will slap Zoe around a
little bit and bring her "back to reality"?

T. Troy McNemar

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, fe...@lsh.org (Dan McEwen) wrote:
>On 2 Oct 1998 11:10:56 GMT, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

>>Tom mentioned that editor Mike McAvennie seems to be in favor of another
>>election for Legion leader, but they don't know when that would take place.
>
>How often were they during preboot (except v4, naturally)? If Levitz
>could maintain leadership elections, I don't see why Peyer, Stern, and
>McCraw can't do it.

During Levitz's second tenure, the Legion leaders were Dream Girl, Element
Lad, Element Lad, Polar Boy and Sensor Girl. About every 2 years. We're
tardy for a new election, but not chronically late yet.

And, not that it's an excuse, but the writers aren't the ones that have to
do the work for Legion elections.

--
T. Troy McNemar Tro...@primenet.com
"Etov 'ON' no cer.stra.fs.namrepus."

Pheersum

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
> Tom says to "look for a brief appearance of Catspaw soon," and "Zoe will
> get back to reality soon enough."

No, Zoe will not get back to reality soon enough. That's the whole
problem. This joke is tired.
pheersum is eric schultheis. visit http://www.netwizards.net/~pheersum/

Bounci...@hotmail.com

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98

> The White Witch will be seen next year.

What do they mean? Is Mysa returning? or is it a new character using the
pre- boot Mysa's hero name?

> The production department changed Imra's costume in L* #65. Jeff
> originally drew her in Legion uniform, but that was altered to become her
> Science Police outfit. She's now back as Legion leader.

Was Jeff pissed that they changed his art? Did they tell him they were going
to do it?

> Sensor and Karate Kid will meet soon. As for Nemesis Kid, Tom can't say
> anything about him yet.

Didn't they already meet? I seem to recall her briefly welcoming him to the
team the issue that he joined.

> Jeff doesn't mind the team temporarily dividing into two smaller groups per
> se, but he does think it's time for him to draw Ayla again.

I think it's time too.

> Tom said that the Metal Men are expected to guest star.

Cool!

> Tom says to "look for a brief appearance of Catspaw soon,"

Yay!

> and "Zoe will
> get back to reality soon enough."

'Bout time!

> -- Alex Tam
> gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

Alex, I have a question for you. I've seen a portion of tuesday's chat
transcript and one from the previous week. In both there were interesting
bits of info about Chuck Taine. Neither were mentioned in your chat report.
Why is that?

Mark Weisenberger
bounci...@hotmail.com

T. Troy McNemar

Oct 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/2/98
Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca>
wrote:

>SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
>toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
>info from the more general comments.

>:=========================:

>Tom has a proposal for the return of the Wanderers.

Please, Tom! We can't take another crappy mini-series! If it's a
mini-series that you're proposing, please make it good!

>Another Superboy/Legion crossover is being discussed.

Is it being discussed by anyone relevant?

>Tom mentioned that editor Mike McAvennie seems to be in favor of another
>election for Legion leader, but they don't know when that would take place.

Now is good.

>The Legion team has creative control over Thunder, with POWER OF SHAZAM!
>writer Jerry Ordway's blessing.

Will they make her smaller and give her light powers?

Is she going to have the Wisdom of Solomon or is she going to be a dumb
cluck like the Batsons?

>Maybe the Legion's brief mention in MARTIAN MANHUNTER #1,000,000 will be
>expanded on, according to Tom.

No, really, it's okay. Focus on the sprocking *Legionnaires* for a while.

>But there are no plans for DC ONE MILLION's
>main villains Solaris and Vandal Savage, both known to exist in the 30th
>Century.

Were more than 1,000,000 immortals introduced in DC 1 Million?

>Tom is sure that Shadder from LEGION: SCIENCE POLICE will return.

Will he join Shvaughn Erin and R.J. Brande in the Busybody Officials that
Undermine Legion Authority Brigade?

>The White Witch will be seen next year.

With or without antennae?

>The production department changed Imra's costume in L* #65. Jeff
>originally drew her in Legion uniform, but that was altered to become her
>Science Police outfit.

If they're going to alter Imra's clothes, they should go for the pink
bikini.

>She's now back as Legion leader.

Lyle must be so proud.

>Tom is glad that Keith Giffen didn't use his 9-panel grids for LSH
>#1,000,000; Tom said that Giffen's work is difficult to color.

Tougher than CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS?

>Tom clarified that Wildfire isn't trapped inside the paper of LSH
>#1,000,000, but rather that the sheet is a link to the world beyond the
>tesseract of the three teenagers. The ending of the story is ambiguous;
>maybe the teens are still in the tesseract, or on the normal Earth, or it's
>all a delusion. Whatever the answer is, they're "where they wanted to be,"
>Tom said.

Thanks for explaining that. Now explain why I should care.

>Sensor and Karate Kid will meet soon.

Does the 30th century have no morality?

>As for Nemesis Kid, Tom can't say anything about him yet.

Not even his codename?

>Jeff doesn't mind the team temporarily dividing into two smaller groups per
>se, but he does think it's time for him to draw Ayla again.

Aside from a few crackpot fans (and, of course, the writers and editors),
*everyone* thinks it's time for Jeff to draw Ayla again.

>Tom said that the Metal Men are expected to guest star.

Will Jan change Veridium into gold?

"Sorry, we haven't had time to deal with Jan's flakiness. We've been too
busy with the second guest appearance of the Metal Men."

>Jeff is now working on an issue that features Dirk Morgna. (According to
>previous reports, this should be L* #70.)

Don't get too excited, it's only a one panel appearance. I stole a copy
of the script from Roger Stern's hard drive. Here it is:

PANEL 3, INT. House of worship of ambiguous religion. Dirk
Morgna is in the foreground, bowed in prayer.

Dirk (thought): Thank you for not making me a snake.

>Tom says to "look for a brief appearance of Catspaw soon,"

Don't get too excited, it's only a one panel appearance. I stole a copy
of the script from Roger Stern's hard drive. Here it is:

PANEL 4, INT. House of worship of ambiguous religion. April
Dumaka is in the foreground, bowed in prayer.

April (thought): Thank you for not making me a snake.

>and "Zoe will get back to reality soon enough."

If Zoe gets back to normal, who will play Candyland with Jan?

Dan McEwen

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98
On Fri, 02 Oct 1998 14:28:08 GMT, Tro...@primenet.com (T. Troy
McNemar) wrote:

>Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, fe...@lsh.org (Dan McEwen) wrote:
>>On 2 Oct 1998 11:10:56 GMT, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:
>

>>>Tom mentioned that editor Mike McAvennie seems to be in favor of another
>>>election for Legion leader, but they don't know when that would take place.
>>

>>How often were they during preboot (except v4, naturally)? If Levitz
>>could maintain leadership elections, I don't see why Peyer, Stern, and
>>McCraw can't do it.
>
>During Levitz's second tenure, the Legion leaders were Dream Girl, Element
>Lad, Element Lad, Polar Boy and Sensor Girl. About every 2 years. We're
>tardy for a new election, but not chronically late yet.
>
>And, not that it's an excuse, but the writers aren't the ones that have to
>do the work for Legion elections.

Right, it's the editors. KC did the last one, and he's not around
anymore. Still, I think it introduced some story potential. For
example, wouldn't Element Lad's story *have* to be dealt with if he
were elected leader by the readers?

T. Troy McNemar

Oct 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/3/98

I don't see why. Lyle was elected and he's not even the leader.

Or is that another rant?