LSH: AOL Chat for 7/9/96 with McCraw, Moy, Boyd, and Carlson

1 view

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist), Jeff Moy (L* penciller),
Ron Boyd (LSH inker), and KC Carlson (LSH/L* editor) were the
guests on America Online's Legion of Super-Heroes Chat for
Tuesday, July 9, 1996. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat is held every
Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 p.m. EST.
Legionnaires Chat is held every Thursday in the same area at
10:00 p.m. EST. (Keyword: DC CHAT.) Regular guests include Tom
Peyer, Tom McCraw, Roger Stern, Mark Waid, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd, KC
Carlson and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER - Information presented herein is not guaranteed to be
reliable. Due to the nature of the chats, misinterpretations of
the creators' comments do occur. No wagering.

SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
space separates such spoiler information.

SUBSCRIPTIONS - If you'd like to subscribe (or unsubscribe) to
these chat reports, please send me an e-mail at
"tro...@indirect.com".

GRAPHICS - If you want to subscribe to Lev Kalman's weekly
humorous LSH pic, send the message "subscribe lev-pics" in the
body of an e-mail to "majo...@idyllmtn.com". You'll receive a
MIME-encoded pic in your virtual mailbox every week.

SPECIAL THANKS - To Andrew Woodard for forwarding a copy of the
chat log from which this report was generated.

===============

Legionnaires #40 will ship on time on July 17th.

Jeff extends his thanks to all the fans who came to the San Diego
convention.

KC reports that Paul Levitz and Bob Wayne were very impressed by
the crowd at the Legion gathering in Chicago. He indicates that
everyone in the office was discussing the gathering in Chicago
during the week after the con. He is not sure whether this
reaction can be used to obtain new Legion merchandising, though.

Jeff is currently backed up with work, so he's put commissions on
hold for now.

KC majored in journalism in college.

KC plans to keep the winner of the Legion elections a secret
until they can reveal the winner in the books. KC promises that
the winner of the Legion elections will be installed as leader as
soon as possible after the elections, but he couldn't give the
exact issue number.

Tom reports that if Karate Kid joins, the character will probably
be similar to the preboot Karate Kid. He asked, "Why mess with a
good thing?" He believes that Karate Kid could beat Superman on
the right day.

Bouncing Boy will not be joining the Legion for now.

KC has asked the GREEN LANTERN people not to talk about a Legion
crossover until he sees a plot, and he hasn't seen a plot yet.
He indicated that he would not count on seeing that crossover.

Tom and KC had just color proofed LSH #84. KC reported that it
takes about an hour to color proof a comic, and a little longer
to proof a Legion comic. The Legion books take longer because
there are more characters and more detail.

KC indicated that they had better plans for Rond Vidar than him
getting a GL ring.

KC denied that Saturn Girl was getting a name change and
expressed distaste at a "Titan Girl" suggestion.

Tom thinks his SHOWCASE Legion story could have been better. He
had always thought that Quicksand and Holdur were fun villains.

Lots of things are coming up that will effect Kinetix very soon.

The Legion will appear in the SUPERMAN PLUS and the SOVEREIGN
SEVEN PLUS titles scheduled for this winter. (These have
previously been reported as Winter Specials.) A fan reports that
the SOVEREIGN SEVEN PLUS story features Saturn Girl and Network.
The Legion titles will not be receiving "Plus" issues.

Tom indicated that no more 20th century villains would be going
to the 30th century, but they might do a reversal.

Tom reports that the colors for the Legion Annual were turned in
and that Wildfire is on the way. Tom predicts that everyone will
be talking about the Annual for a long time. He indicated that
38 page annuals slow him down for a while, but he would gain
ground again soon.

Jeff had finished the 2 page spread for L* #43 which included 100
characters before he left for San Diego. Tom had seen the pages
and reported that although they were great, they will be a chore
to color. Jeff sympathized with Tom and inker Cory Carani. Jeff
reported that his brother Phil Moy might ink the final 5 pages of
the story.

KC teased that the upcoming FINAL NIGHT story pairing Ferro and
the Sun Eater might not work out well for Ferro.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"I'm the last person in the world that would burn a bra. Without

Michael Klordny Grabois

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

On Sun, 14 Jul 1996 13:54:14 -0700 (MST), "T. Troy McNemar, Esq."
<tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>KC reports that Paul Levitz and Bob Wayne were very impressed by
>the crowd at the Legion gathering in Chicago. He indicates that
>everyone in the office was discussing the gathering in Chicago
>during the week after the con. He is not sure whether this
>reaction can be used to obtain new Legion merchandising, though.

The San Diego contingent was pretty big, too. There were about 35 at
dinner. We missed the panel and chat like last year, though. But
Levitz knows about Legion fandom; good to see DCOBobW, as direct sales
honcho, does too.

>Bouncing Boy will not be joining the Legion for now.

But does this mean he can join as Rebound?

>KC has asked the GREEN LANTERN people not to talk about a Legion
>crossover until he sees a plot, and he hasn't seen a plot yet.
>He indicated that he would not count on seeing that crossover.

I asked Ron Marz in SD about a GL/LSH crossover. He said it's
definitely going to happen, but they're not sure when yet.

>Tom thinks his SHOWCASE Legion story could have been better. He
>had always thought that Quicksand and Holdur were fun villains.

Wonder if this means we'll be seeing Pulsar Stargrave soon. Preboot
they were his flunkies.

>Lots of things are coming up that will effect Kinetix very soon.

>The Legion will appear in the SUPERMAN PLUS and the SOVEREIGN
>SEVEN PLUS titles scheduled for this winter. (These have
>previously been reported as Winter Specials.) A fan reports that
>the SOVEREIGN SEVEN PLUS story features Saturn Girl and Network.
>The Legion titles will not be receiving "Plus" issues.

The S7 and Superman PLUS issues were announced at the DCUniverse panel
at SD.

Michael R. Grabois | http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mgrabois
Houston, TX | or...@ix.netcom.com CI$: 74737,2600
The Anal Retentive Legion checklists now online at the URL above.
"The ritual Klordny Toast... to Freedom, Friendship, and Frunt!"

Max Chittister

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

Excerpts from netnews.rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh: 14-Jul-96 Re: LSH: AOL
Chat for 7/9/9.. by Michael K. Gra...@ix.ne
> >KC has asked the GREEN LANTERN people not to talk about a Legion
> >crossover until he sees a plot, and he hasn't seen a plot yet.
> >He indicated that he would not count on seeing that crossover.
>
> I asked Ron Marz in SD about a GL/LSH crossover. He said it's
> definitely going to happen, but they're not sure when yet.

Personally, I believe KC.

Max

-----
"Misery is when you have a balloon, an ice cream cone, and an itch all
at the same time." -- Suzanne Heller

"Nothing cures sophomoric salacious behavior towards women faster than
an actual sex life." -- Christopher Priest

"What is that SMELL?" -- Will Smith, "Independence Day"

Max Chittister bea...@cmu.edu
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/usr/rc5x/home.html

Mad Baron

Jul 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/15/96

>Legionnaires #40 will ship on time on July 17th.

Whooh! That's my birthday.

Nothing like having the Legionnaires over for a birthday bash. I'd better
go get some party supplies....
Mad Baron
madb...@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/madbaron

Don Brinker

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

Max Chittister <bea...@CMU.EDU> wrote:

>Excerpts from netnews.rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh: 14-Jul-96 Re: LSH: AOL
>Chat for 7/9/9.. by Michael K. Gra...@ix.ne

>> >KC has asked the GREEN LANTERN people not to talk about a Legion
>> >crossover until he sees a plot, and he hasn't seen a plot yet.
>> >He indicated that he would not count on seeing that crossover.

Yay!

>> I asked Ron Marz in SD about a GL/LSH crossover. He said it's
>> definitely going to happen, but they're not sure when yet.

Boo!

>Personally, I believe KC.

Personally, I *want* to believe KC. I mean, they're going to let a
team with five females get anywhere near the Chickhunter from Marz?

*shudder*

- Don

WILLIAM H. SUDDERTH

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

: <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

: >KC has asked the GREEN LANTERN people not to talk about a Legion

: >crossover until he sees a plot, and he hasn't seen a plot yet.
: >He indicated that he would not count on seeing that crossover.

: I asked Ron Marz in SD about a GL/LSH crossover. He said it's

: definitely going to happen, but they're not sure when yet.

(Will crosses his fingers, praying that KC gives Ron Marz a decisive
thump.)

--
William Sudderth
http://www.uncg.edu/~whsudder

Leif Olson

Jul 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/18/96

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Don Brinker wrote:

> >> I asked Ron Marz in SD about a GL/LSH crossover. He said it's
> >> definitely going to happen, but they're not sure when yet.
>

> Boo!

Make that "bleah."

> >Personally, I believe KC.
>
> Personally, I *want* to believe KC. I mean, they're going to let a
> team with five females get anywhere near the Chickhunter from Marz?

You have no idea how proud I am to see one of my catchphrases repeated. :)

Leif Olson
lol...@sol.cs.trinity.edu
Remember: Vote Ayla Ranzz for Legion Leader!
"Timber Wolf likes the imported jobs . . . but I think Earth cars are
the greatest!" - Karate Kid, ADV #377