LSH: AOL Chat for 6/6/96 with McCraw & Moy

1 view

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jun 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/15/96

Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) and Jeff Moy (L*
penciller) were the guests on America Online's Legionnaires Chat
for Thursday, June 13, 1996. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat is held
every Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 p.m.
EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every Thursday in the same area
at 10:00 p.m. EST. (Keyword: DC CHAT.) Regular guests include
Tom Peyer, Tom McCraw, Roger Stern, Mark Waid, Jeff Moy, Ron
Boyd, KC Carlson and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER - Information presented herein is not guaranteed to be
reliable. Due to the nature of the chats, misinterpretations of
the creators' comments do occur. No wagering.

SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
space separates such spoiler information.

SUBSCRIPTIONS - If you'd like to subscribe (or unsubscribe) to
these chat reports, please send me an e-mail at
"tro...@indirect.com".

GRAPHICS - If you want to subscribe to Lev Kalman's weekly
humorous LSH pic, send the message "subscribe lev-pics" in the
body of an e-mail to "majo...@idyllmtn.com". You'll receive a
MIME-encoded pic in your virtual mailbox every week.

========================

Matt Brady, the author of the article on the LSH in Wizard #59,
was present and indicated that the response to the article had
been positive. He indicated that further positive feedback sent
to Wizw...@aol.com might increase chances of future Legion
articles.

Tom had finished the coloring proofs on Legion Archives volume 6.

Jeff observed that character deaths were sadly a fact of the
Legion.

Gates real name may show up soon.

The creators are discussing what Inferno's real name should be.

Plans have not yet been made for a Mary Marvel/LSH team up.

Tom would like to see Shadow Lass sometime--he'd like to color
her skin blue again.

Tom doesn't know if Timber Wolf will be normal or in furball form
when he shows up in the postboot.

Tom points out that Wildfire will be in the upcoming LSH annual.
He further observed that no one said the annuals were Elseworlds,
and that the Legion annuals were a little different. They have
put Legion characters in the Legion annuals.

Tom complimented Jeff on the sketches of new characters for L*
#43 that Jeff had done. Tom wouldn't identify the sketches, but
indicated that Tyroc was a bad guess.

The postboot Dream Girl will still foresee events in her dreams.
Her dreams will hint at future plotlines.

Superman will be the first guest star in the 20th century
storyline in LSH. The Deadman appearance was delayed to LSH #86
for the story's sake.

The Legion will be appearing in one of the Superman titles, but
Tom wasn't sure which title. Tom would like to see Stuart
Immonen draw the Legion again.

Editor Kevin Dooley stopped by the chat and announced that the
Legionnaires will be appearing in SOVEREIGN SEVEN and GREEN
LANTERN.

Tom indicates that Shvaughn Erin will be along to act as
adult/mentor for the Legionnaires in the 20th century. Tom
figures her age to be at least 22. She's the only 20th century
bound character that can drive.

Jeff observes that the 20th century characters will not stay in
the past. They will return to the 30th century.

Jeff thinks the better characters are going to the 20th century.
He'd like to keep Spark.

Apparition will show up again in LSH #83. Tom indicates that she
is not dead, never was dead, and still (sort of) has her powers.
She can fly and still go through walls. Her survival will be
explained eventually. LSH #86 will explain a lot.

Tom is glad that LSH #83 will come out after the Chicago
convention, but figures that there will be Previews at the con
for fans to review.

The 30th century team will be adding at least 4 new members after
the split. The characters will be mostly new faces.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"Please! Don't all leave . . . . Somebody has to do it, don't

Michael A. Chary

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

Reply to message from tro...@indirect.com of Sat, 15 Jun

>Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) and Jeff Moy (L*
>penciller) were the guests on America Online's Legionnaires Chat
>for Thursday, June 13, 1996. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat is held
>every Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 p.m.
>EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every Thursday in the same area
>at 10:00 p.m. EST. (Keyword: DC CHAT.) Regular guests include
>Tom Peyer, Tom McCraw, Roger Stern, Mark Waid, Jeff Moy, Ron
>Boyd, KC Carlson and Mike McAvennie.
>
>DISCLAIMER - Information presented herein is not guaranteed to be
>reliable. Due to the nature of the chats, misinterpretations of
>the creators' comments do occur. No wagering.
>
>SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
>issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
>space separates such spoiler information.
>
>SUBSCRIPTIONS - If you'd like to subscribe (or unsubscribe) to
>these chat reports, please send me an e-mail at
>"tro...@indirect.com".
>
>GRAPHICS - If you want to subscribe to Lev Kalman's weekly
>humorous LSH pic, send the message "subscribe lev-pics" in the
>body of an e-mail to "majo...@idyllmtn.com". You'll receive a
>MIME-encoded pic in your virtual mailbox every week.
>
>========================
>

>Gates real name may show up soon.

I vote for "Gregor Samsa."

>The creators are discussing what Inferno's real name should be.

Debbie Boone.

>Tom would like to see Shadow Lass sometime--he'd like to color
>her skin blue again.

Just for the comic, or in person?

>Tom points out that Wildfire will be in the upcoming LSH annual.
>He further observed that no one said the annuals were Elseworlds,
>and that the Legion annuals were a little different. They have
>put Legion characters in the Legion annuals.

Why?

>Superman will be the first guest star in the 20th century
>storyline in LSH. The Deadman appearance was delayed to LSH #86
>for the story's sake.

How many Legionnaires can they fit on Deadman's chest? :)

>Editor Kevin Dooley stopped by the chat and announced that the
>Legionnaires will be appearing in SOVEREIGN SEVEN and GREEN
>LANTERN.

Oh, well, I guess we won't have to worry about Marz writing it after all,
huh?

All you people waiting to see how Chris Claremont would handle the Legion
of Super-Heroes, here's your chance :)

>Tom indicates that Shvaughn Erin will be along to act as
>adult/mentor for the Legionnaires in the 20th century. Tom
>figures her age to be at least 22. She's the only 20th century
>bound character that can drive.

Given the maturity we;ve seen from her so far...

>Apparition will show up again in LSH #83. Tom indicates that she
>is not dead, never was dead, and still (sort of) has her powers.
>She can fly and still go through walls. Her survival will be
>explained eventually. LSH #86 will explain a lot.

Well, Carl Fink is gone :)
--
Court Philosopher and Barbarian, DNRC http://ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu/~fchary
All unsolicited commercial e-mail sent to this account constitutes an

Johanna Draper

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

In article <4pvqfm$e...@madeline.INS.CWRU.Edu>,

Michael A. Chary <ma...@po.CWRU.Edu> wrote:
>Reply to message from tro...@indirect.com of Sat, 15 Jun
>>
>>SPOILERS

>>========================

>>He further observed that no one said the annuals were Elseworlds,
>>and that the Legion annuals were a little different. They have
>>put Legion characters in the Legion annuals.
>
>Why?

Probably because the Legion concept (set in the future anyway, based around
the idea of a type of team rather than any particular character) let them
do so?

>All you people waiting to see how Chris Claremont would handle the Legion
>of Super-Heroes, here's your chance :)

He's only handling one of the characters, and he's subject to the same
editorial approval as to what he can do.

Johanna

Jacob W Michaels

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

Michael A. Chary (ma...@po.CWRU.Edu) wrote:
> Reply to message from tro...@indirect.com of Sat, 15 Jun
> >

> >SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
> >issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
> >space separates such spoiler information.
> >
> >========================

> >Editor Kevin Dooley stopped by the chat and announced that the
> >Legionnaires will be appearing in SOVEREIGN SEVEN and GREEN
> >LANTERN.

> All you people waiting to see how Chris Claremont would handle the Legion

> of Super-Heroes, here's your chance :)

Why can't I just read X-Men issues with the Imperial Guard? <g>

Jacob

Michael A. Chary

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

Johanna Draper (dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu) writes:
> In article <4pvqfm$e...@madeline.INS.CWRU.Edu>,

> Michael A. Chary <ma...@po.CWRU.Edu> wrote:
>>Reply to message from tro...@indirect.com of Sat, 15 Jun
>>>
>>>SPOILERS

>>>========================
>>>
>>>He further observed that no one said the annuals were Elseworlds,
>>>and that the Legion annuals were a little different. They have
>>>put Legion characters in the Legion annuals.
>>
>>Why?
>
> Probably because the Legion concept (set in the future anyway, based around
> the idea of a type of team rather than any particular character) let them
> do so?

But Troy implied an imperative to do so?

>>All you people waiting to see how Chris Claremont would handle the Legion
>>of Super-Heroes, here's your chance :)
>

> He's only handling one of the characters, and he's subject to the same
> editorial approval as to what he can do.

That's been tried on Claremont before :)

--
When there's no one there, it's Norg.
"The BBC's trailer department keeps calling the O J Simpson case "the trial

David J. Snyder

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

In article <4q131v$n...@netnews.upenn.edu>,
Johanna Draper <dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu> wrote:

>>All you people waiting to see how Chris Claremont would handle the Legion
>>of Super-Heroes, here's your chance :)
>
>He's only handling one of the characters, and he's subject to the same
>editorial approval as to what he can do.

Which one is he handling?

Djs
--
"Listen to yourself. How could you be so stupid? People don't
come back from the dead." "... the Blood Syndicate ain't over yet.

WILLIAM H. SUDDERTH

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. (tro...@indirect.com) wrote:
: Jeff observed that character deaths were sadly a fact of the
: Legion.

For cryin' out, we just got Tinya back and they're going to do it to us
again. It hasn't been that long since the reboot; I'd prefer it if they
took more time to establish the characters before they injected
Meaningless Death Angst again.

: Gates real name may show up soon.

I pray it's not B'll.

: Superman will be the first guest star in the 20th century

: storyline in LSH. The Deadman appearance was delayed to LSH #86
: for the story's sake.

: The Legion will be appearing in one of the Superman titles, but
: Tom wasn't sure which title. Tom would like to see Stuart
: Immonen draw the Legion again.

Kesel and Immomen would be nice, as would Stern and Grummett.

: Editor Kevin Dooley stopped by the chat and announced that the

: Legionnaires will be appearing in SOVEREIGN SEVEN and GREEN
: LANTERN.

Oh, great. Someone else for Crab-Face Guy to prove himself to. Marz and
the Legion is not a good combination.

: Tom indicates that Shvaughn Erin will be along to act as

: adult/mentor for the Legionnaires in the 20th century. Tom
: figures her age to be at least 22. She's the only 20th century
: bound character that can drive.

A 30th-century resident confronted with a stick shift could be amusing.

Will

--
William Sudderth
http://www.uncg.edu/~whsudder

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

Previously on racdl, WILLIAM H. SUDDERTH wrote:
>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. (tro...@indirect.com) wrote:

>: Jeff observed that character deaths were sadly a fact of the
>: Legion.
>
>For cryin' out, we just got Tinya back and they're going to do it to us
>again. It hasn't been that long since the reboot; I'd prefer it if they
>took more time to establish the characters before they injected
>Meaningless Death Angst again.

Don't let them torment you like a small animal. :)

>: Gates real name may show up soon.
>
>I pray it's not B'll.

It's Ti'Julk Mr'Asz, according to Tom McCraw's comment on CI$. (This is in
the "Introduction to the Legion of Super-Heroes" post.)

>: Editor Kevin Dooley stopped by the chat and announced that the
>: Legionnaires will be appearing in SOVEREIGN SEVEN and GREEN
>: LANTERN.
>
>Oh, great. Someone else for Crab-Face Guy to prove himself to. Marz and
>the Legion is not a good combination.

The Legion could take him. Hell, Triad could take him.

BTW, KC indicated in the 6/11 chat that there are no plans for a Legion/GL
crossover. I've given up trying to figure it out, and will spend the rest
of my speculative time trying to figure out if there are plans for Ferro. :)

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"Sounds like a stupid theory to me."
--Bob the Dinosaur, "It's Obvious You Won't Survive By Your Wits Alone"

Randy Lander

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) and Jeff Moy (L*
>penciller) were the guests on America Online's Legionnaires Chat
>for Thursday, June 13, 1996. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat is held
>every Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 p.m.
>EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every Thursday in the same area
>at 10:00 p.m. EST. (Keyword: DC CHAT.) Regular guests include
>Tom Peyer, Tom McCraw, Roger Stern, Mark Waid, Jeff Moy, Ron
>Boyd, KC Carlson and Mike McAvennie.

>DISCLAIMER - Information presented herein is not guaranteed to be
>reliable. Due to the nature of the chats, misinterpretations of
>the creators' comments do occur. No wagering.

>SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
>issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
>space separates such spoiler information.

>SUBSCRIPTIONS - If you'd like to subscribe (or unsubscribe) to
>these chat reports, please send me an e-mail at
>"tro...@indirect.com".

>GRAPHICS - If you want to subscribe to Lev Kalman's weekly
>humorous LSH pic, send the message "subscribe lev-pics" in the
>body of an e-mail to "majo...@idyllmtn.com". You'll receive a
>MIME-encoded pic in your virtual mailbox every week.

>Gates real name may show up soon.

Pity. Gates is one of the few Legionnaires that I prefer to be known
as just his hero ID. I'd rather his real name were unpronounceable.

>Plans have not yet been made for a Mary Marvel/LSH team up.

But the Ferro/Mary Marvel teamup is preceding apace, I understand. :)

>Editor Kevin Dooley stopped by the chat and announced that the
>Legionnaires will be appearing in SOVEREIGN SEVEN and GREEN
>LANTERN.

Aaargh. I'm mildly curious to see Claremont do the Legion, but the
news that Marz is getting his hands on the Legion is not good news.

>Tom indicates that Shvaughn Erin will be along to act as
>adult/mentor for the Legionnaires in the 20th century. Tom
>figures her age to be at least 22. She's the only 20th century
>bound character that can drive.

Really? Shvaughn has a 20th century driver's license? Guess the
Science Police motto really is "Be Prepared." :)

rwla...@io.com<*>
My Home Page:http://www.io.com/~rwlander
This Post contains the opinions of one Randy Lander.
Had it been the biblical truth, your bushes would be
on fire.

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

Previously on racdl, Randy Lander wrote:
>"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>>SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
>>issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
>>space separates such spoiler information.
>

>>Gates real name may show up soon.
>
>Pity. Gates is one of the few Legionnaires that I prefer to be known
>as just his hero ID. I'd rather his real name were unpronounceable.

I think it is. It could certainly trigger a pronounciation thread to put
Ayla to shame. :)

>>Editor Kevin Dooley stopped by the chat and announced that the
>>Legionnaires will be appearing in SOVEREIGN SEVEN and GREEN
>>LANTERN.
>
>Aaargh. I'm mildly curious to see Claremont do the Legion, but the
>news that Marz is getting his hands on the Legion is not good news.

Eh, the worst that can come out of this is a bad story. It's not like Marz
is going to measure the team for Frigidaires or anything.

And KC Carlson denied the GL crossover in the 6/11 chat.

>Shvaughn has a 20th century driver's license? Guess the
>Science Police motto really is "Be Prepared." :)

You can imagine the looks on the SP recruits faces when the Orientation
Director told them: "There will be times in your career when you're
misplaced in the 20th century. The most important skill you can possess is
the ability to drive a VW bus."

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"But the price of getting what you want, is getting what once you wanted."
--Morpheus, "Dream Country"

Carl Fink

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

In article <4pvqfm$e...@madeline.INS.CWRU.Edu>,
ma...@po.CWRU.Edu (Michael A. Chary) wrote:
SPOILERS

>>Apparition will show up again in LSH #83. Tom indicates that she
>>is not dead, never was dead, and still (sort of) has her powers.
>>She can fly and still go through walls. Her survival will be
>>explained eventually. LSH #86 will explain a lot.
>
>Well, Carl Fink is gone :)

Maybe, but I suspect Tom is simply lying.
--
Carl Fink ca...@panix.com madsci...@genie.com
Dueling Modems, Inc. http://www.sfrt.com/sfrt/

--Federal Appeals Court ruling on the so-called "Decency Act" censoring
the Internet. Full text at http://www.cdt.org/ciec/decision.html

Leif Olson

Jun 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/16/96

On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, T. Troy McNemar, Esq. wrote:

> SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
> issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
> space separates such spoiler information.

> ========================

> Tom had finished the coloring proofs on Legion Archives volume 6.

Oh, goody! More Shooter classics!

> Gates real name may show up soon.

Floating by in the background on an untitled omnicom.

> The creators are discussing what Inferno's real name should be.

How about Smitty? Why are girls never called Smitty? Elayne, can we
call you Smitty?

> Plans have not yet been made for a Mary Marvel/LSH team up.

What I wouldn't pay to see Ordway-painted Legionnaires.

> Tom doesn't know if Timber Wolf will be normal or in furball form
> when he shows up in the postboot.

I vote for normalcy. (Sounds like a Bob Dole campaign slogan, doesn't
it?)

> Tom complimented Jeff on the sketches of new characters for L*
> #43 that Jeff had done. Tom wouldn't identify the sketches, but
> indicated that Tyroc was a bad guess.

You don't need a sketch of Tyroc. The old outfit was PERFECT!

> Editor Kevin Dooley stopped by the chat and announced that the
> Legionnaires will be appearing in SOVEREIGN SEVEN and GREEN
> LANTERN.

Fan Leif Olson showed up to threaten to slit throats if Ron Marz is
allowed to write the Legion.

"Why, Imra! What happened to your chest? And your clothes?
"I don't know, Ayla! If I'm wearing twice as much as you are, it still
isn't half enough!"
"Say, has anyone seen Inferno?"
<a refrigerator lurks ominously in the background...>

> Jeff thinks the better characters are going to the 20th century.
> He'd like to keep Spark.

He can have Spark. Give us Gossamer! (With a better name, though...)

> The 30th century team will be adding at least 4 new members after
> the split. The characters will be mostly new faces.

At least 4, eh? Karate Kid, Ferro, Sensor Girl, Nemesis, and Sun Boy.
And Plaid Lad as an emergency backup.

"We must reject you, Plaid Lad! Our tests have determined that, every
time you use your power, you lose one year from your life!"

Leif Olson
lol...@sol.cs.trinity.edu
-------------------------
Remember: Vote Ayla Ranzz for Legion Leader!
-------------------------
"Timber Wolf likes the imported jobs . . . but I think Earth cars are
the greatest!" - Karate Kid, ADV #377

Michael Klordny Grabois

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

On Sun, 16 Jun 1996 16:15:05 -0700 (MST), "T. Troy McNemar, Esq."
<tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>Previously on racdl, Randy Lander wrote:

>>"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>>>SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
>>>issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
>>>space separates such spoiler information.
>>

>>>Gates real name may show up soon.
>>

>>Pity. Gates is one of the few Legionnaires that I prefer to be known
>>as just his hero ID. I'd rather his real name were unpronounceable.

>I think it is. It could certainly trigger a pronounciation thread to put
>Ayla to shame. :)

"Ti'Julk Mr'Asz" is pronounce "Ti-julk Mer-az". And "Ayla" rhymes with
the Derek and the Dominoes song "Layla", but you already knew that,
right? <G>

Michael R. Grabois | http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mgrabois
Houston, TX | or...@ix.netcom.com CI$: 74737,2600
The Anal Retentive Legion checklists now online at the URL above.
"The ritual Klordny Toast... to Freedom, Friendship, and Frunt!"

Michael Klordny Grabois

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

On Sun, 16 Jun 1996 22:21:18 -0500, Leif Olson
<lol...@sol.cs.trinity.edu> wrote:

>On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, T. Troy McNemar, Esq. wrote:

>> Tom had finished the coloring proofs on Legion Archives volume 6.

>Oh, goody! More Shooter classics!

Volume 5 reprinted up through Adventure 349. Volume 6 should take us
through issues 350-360, covering Sir Prize & Miss Terious, the Fatal
Five and Ferro Lad, the Adult Legion, and the Legion Chain Gang. Man,
what a great volume! (And hopefully we'll be spared Mantis Morlo from
issue 362...)

Yeechang Lee

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

WILLIAM H. SUDDERTH <whsu...@hamlet.uncg.edu> wrote:
> : The Legion will be appearing in one of the Superman titles, but

> : Tom wasn't sure which title. Tom would like to see Stuart Immonen
> : draw the Legion again.
>
> Kesel and Immomen would be nice, as would Stern and Grummett.

Heck, I'd love Kesel and Immonen draw LSH.

> A 30th-century resident confronted with a stick shift could be
> amusing.

Not just 30th-century folks--I don't know how to drive a stick shift
either. (That's what happens when you grow up a Nu Yawker.)
--
http://www.columbia.edu/~ylee/ _. icbm://40.83.-73.91/
__./ |

Yeechang Lee

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Leif Olson <lol...@sol.cs.trinity.edu> wrote:
> > Tom had finished the coloring proofs on Legion Archives volume 6.
>
> Oh, goody! More Shooter classics!

Don't laugh, but I'd love to have seen Forte draw Shooter stories.

> What I wouldn't pay to see Ordway-painted Legionnaires.

Amen.

Felix J. Torres

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

In article <4q2qei$3...@sjx-ixn4.ix.netcom.com>, or...@ix.netcom.com (Michael "Klordny" Grabois) says:

>On Sun, 16 Jun 1996 16:15:05 -0700 (MST), "T. Troy McNemar, Esq."
><tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
>
>>Previously on racdl, Randy Lander wrote:

>>>Pity. Gates is one of the few Legionnaires that I prefer to be known
>>>as just his hero ID. I'd rather his real name were unpronounceable.
>
>>I think it is. It could certainly trigger a pronounciation thread to put
>>Ayla to shame. :)
>
>"Ti'Julk Mr'Asz" is pronounce "Ti-julk Mer-az". And "Ayla" rhymes with
>the Derek and the Dominoes song "Layla", but you already knew that,
>right? <G>

Well, of course!

But it is Tee-julk or Tie-julk?

(heh, heh!)

I just hope the last name is not Mister A*...

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Leif Olson (lol...@sol.cs.trinity.edu) wrote:
: On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, T. Troy McNemar, Esq. wrote:

: > The creators are discussing what Inferno's real name should be.

: How about Smitty? Why are girls never called Smitty? Elayne, can we
: call you Smitty?

Uh... yeah, sure, why not.

I mean, anything's better than ConGorilla.

- Elayne
--
E-Mail me, the "Firehead Head," for more info about the official ()~~
Firesign Theatre newsletter, Four-Alarm FIRESIGNal, available via ##

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Previously on racdl, Michael "Klordny" Grabois wrote:

>And "Ayla" rhymes with the Derek and the Dominoes song "Layla",
>but you already knew that, right? <G>

Nice try, but it is, was, and always will be Eye-la.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"The current state of knowledge can be summarised thus:
In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded."
--Terry Pratchett, "Lords and Ladies"

Michael Klordny Grabois

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

On 17 Jun 1996 11:55:48 GMT, fjto...@lerc.nasa.gov (Felix J. Torres)
wrote:

>In article <4q2qei$3...@sjx-ixn4.ix.netcom.com>, or...@ix.netcom.com (Michael "Klordny" Grabois) says:
>>
>>On Sun, 16 Jun 1996 16:15:05 -0700 (MST), "T. Troy McNemar, Esq."
>><tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>>>I think it is. It could certainly trigger a pronounciation thread to put
>>>Ayla to shame. :)
>>

>>"Ti'Julk Mr'Asz" is pronounce "Ti-julk Mer-az". And "Ayla" rhymes with

>>the Derek and the Dominoes song "Layla", but you already knew that,
>>right? <G>
>>

>Well, of course!

>But it is Tee-julk or Tie-julk?

>(heh, heh!)

>I just hope the last name is not Mister A*...

Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's pronounced "Tih-julk".
First syllable sounds like the first two letters of "tick", and "julk"
has the same "oo" sound as "book", not rhyming with "Hulk".

Andrew A. Apold

Jun 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/17/96

Andrew looked up from his commemorative LSH/LSV chess set when he heard someone using Randy Lander's account
say:

>>Tom indicates that Shvaughn Erin will be along to act as
>>adult/mentor for the Legionnaires in the 20th century. Tom
>>figures her age to be at least 22. She's the only 20th century
>>bound character that can drive.
>

>Really? Shvaughn has a 20th century driver's license? Guess the

>Science Police motto really is "Be Prepared." :)

If I recall right, she was yet another 20th century history buff
(along with Rokk, R.J., etc.), and given v.r. capabilities might
have actually driven a car, in a manner of speaking, before.

I'll assume they have the flight rings, but occasionally want
to travel inconspicuously in a car. Good. I like it when
they dress "normal" when visiting. How long has that been...
v3 #37?

Hmmmmm I notice they've established Thom as the worst driver
in the LSH, of spaceships, anyways. Piloted into a comet
by mistake, did he?

"Back off! We know what happens when you fly..."
- Gene to Billy, "Air America"...

Andrew Apold (mor...@magg.net)
/**********************************************/
/ C/C++, Legion, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd /
/ Hawkwind, Amtgard, Vikings, and S.A. Spurs /
/**********************************************/
"I was corrupt BEFORE I had power!"
-Random

Hank Wirtz

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Michael Klordny Grabois wrote:

> "Ti'Julk Mr'Asz" is pronounce "Ti-julk Mer-az". And "Ayla" rhymes with
> the Derek and the Dominoes song "Layla", but you already knew that,
> right? <G>

Tell it Brother Klordny! Right on both counts!

Now, if I could just convince everybody that it's pronounced, "Jim
Allen..."

-Hank "The Hallucination" Wirtz

Jeremy Johnston

Jun 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/18/96

Hank Wirtz (wi...@wsunix.wsu.edu) wrote:

Except then you'd be wrong since it's _G_im. BTW, you're also wrong on
Ayla.
--
-Jer

Iain McCord

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

Tinya's survival could be related to the way that her phasing power works.
Perhaps it's an alternate from of Astral projection, with the physical body
being shunted into an alternate dimension for safe keeping. If there's a
delay between the astral and physical forms seperating, and the physical
form being hiden, you could conceivably kill it.
--
Iain M`Cord

Avedon Carol

Jun 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/19/96

SPOILER SPACE

> Tom points out that Wildfire will be in the upcoming LSH annual.
> He further observed that no one said the annuals were Elseworlds,
> and that the Legion annuals were a little different. They have
> put Legion characters in the Legion annuals.

Well, given the premise of the 1996 Annuals, I suppose this could be an
opportunity to introduce the Time Trapper

> The Legion will be appearing in one of the Superman titles, but
> Tom wasn't sure which title. Tom would like to see Stuart
> Immonen draw the Legion again.

So would most of us, I'm sure.

> Editor Kevin Dooley stopped by the chat and announced that the
> Legionnaires will be appearing in SOVEREIGN SEVEN and GREEN
> LANTERN.

If true, the second is going to irritate a lot of people in this
newsgroup who seem to hate Kyle Raynor (who, IMO, should be replaced by
his Frankie Raynor incarnation from DR STRANGEFATE).

Rob Hansen <http://www.interedu.com/hansen/default.html>
(Though using Avedon Carol's account, I am not her, nor does she
read this newsgroup. Please watch those automatic attributors.)

Andrew A. Apold

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

Andrew looked up from his commemorative LSH/LSV chess set when he heard someone using Iain McCord's account
say:

I believe she is still dead and acting alive. She may believe she made it into Jo,
but her body was clearly there, burned to a crisp, and buried. She is something
else now. TPTB said she was not coming back to life, I hold them to that. She's
back, dead, but still back. I don't think she really realised she didn't make it,
this may in some way be a manifestation Ultra Boy's ultra-energy... remember, it
was never completely defined. In an extreme case of physical duress, it made him
intangible to keep him alive. This is a case of extreme mental duress. For all
we know, this might not even be her, but a creation of his ultra energy sub-
consciously... but I don't believe that. I believe that her spirit, perhaps helped
by his Ultra-Energy, was kept around for some reason. Deadman might be able to help,
it'd be interesting if she can inhabit other people...

Andrew A. Apold

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

Andrew looked up from his commemorative LSH/LSV chess set when he heard someone using T. Troy McNemar, Esq.'s
account say:

>>>Editor Kevin Dooley stopped by the chat and announced that the
>>>Legionnaires will be appearing in SOVEREIGN SEVEN and GREEN
>>>LANTERN.
>>

>>Aaargh. I'm mildly curious to see Claremont do the Legion, but the
>>news that Marz is getting his hands on the Legion is not good news.

Ayiiieee. Stranded in the Green Lantern book. Robinson Crusoe on Marz.

Andrew A. Apold

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

Andrew looked up from his commemorative LSH/LSV chess set when he heard someone using Michael Klordny
Grabois's account say:

>"Ti'Julk Mr'Asz" is pronounce "Ti-julk Mer-az". And "Ayla" rhymes with
>the Derek and the Dominoes song "Layla", but you already knew that,
>right? <G>

Dok'tore My-ah-vale', before people get ideas.

And it's eye-lah, dammit!

Jack Grimes

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

In article <slrn4s9mg...@simile.cc.columbia.edu>, yl...@columbia.edu (Yeechang Lee) says:

>WILLIAM H. SUDDERTH <whsu...@hamlet.uncg.edu> wrote:
>> : The Legion will be appearing in one of the Superman titles, but

>> : Tom wasn't sure which title. Tom would like to see Stuart Immonen
>> : draw the Legion again.
>>
>> Kesel and Immomen would be nice, as would Stern and Grummett.
>
>Heck, I'd love Kesel and Immonen draw LSH.

Anything's better than a Michelinie LSH. *One* person explaining things to
himself in the Big, Boring, ACTION Scene is enough.

Jack Grimes

Jack Grimes

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

In article <4pvpgf$2...@newton.uncg.edu>, whsu...@hamlet.uncg.edu (WILLIAM H. SUDDERTH) says:

>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. (tro...@indirect.com) wrote:
>: Editor Kevin Dooley stopped by the chat and announced that the

>: Legionnaires will be appearing in SOVEREIGN SEVEN and GREEN
>: LANTERN.
>
>Oh, great. Someone else for Crab-Face Guy to prove himself to. Marz and
>the Legion is not a good combination.

Heh, I was just thinking about this myself...

KYLE: Um...like, hi guys. Are you really, um, from the future? I'm trying
you know.

COS: Yes, well, that's great. But we're really here to speak with Green
Lantern.

KYLE: Uh.....I'm Green Lantern. I'm a hero. I'm the One, Tru--

COS: *YOU*? What about Hal Jordan? And the rest of the Corps? Wait a
minute...are you...Carl Rinor?

(Saturn nudges him in the side)

IMRA: This is *before* the...you know what.

COS: Oh, well, ah, good...luck, Green Lantern. Watch out for...ginsu
knives, okay?

KYKE: Uh...sure.

Or, the Marz version...

KYLE: Hi, guys, I'm--

(Cosmic Boy kneels down and kisses Kyle's ring)

COS: Grife! *YOU* are the One, True, Green Lantern of *LEGEND*!

---
Jack Grimes

Andrew A. Apold

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

Andrew looked up from his commemorative LSH/LSV chess set when he heard someone using Jack Grimes's account
say:

>Anything's better than a Michelinie LSH. *One* person explaining things to
>himself in the Big, Boring, ACTION Scene is enough.

I somehow doubt that Mr. Big will write the Legion, and that
Wayne Boring (rip?) will draw it.

Matthew R. Sheahan

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

Randy Lander (rwla...@io.com) wrote:
> > Editor Kevin Dooley stopped by the chat and announced that the
> > Legionnaires will be appearing in SOVEREIGN SEVEN and GREEN
> > LANTERN.
> Aaargh. I'm mildly curious to see Claremont do the Legion, but the
> news that Marz is getting his hands on the Legion is not good news.

"Kyle Rayner? Ah, the legendary individual responsible for the
banishment of Green Lanterns from Earth..."

chiaroscuro

tek...@vnet.ibm.com

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

In <4qcoso$b...@star.epix.net> lbm...@epix.net (Jack Grimes) writes:

>Or, the Marz version...
>

>KYLE: Hi, guys, I'm--
>
>(Cosmic Boy kneels down and kisses Kyle's ring)
>
>COS: Grife! *YOU* are the One, True, Green Lantern of *LEGEND*!
>
>---

Shouldn't that be M'onel kneeling, to really drive home the point, with
Luornu looking on?

Vic Vitek

---> These do not necessarily reflect the views of IBM, my family, my
pets, or any sane person.

Michael Klordny Grabois

Jun 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/21/96

On 20 Jun 1996 16:34:12 GMT, mor...@magg.net (Andrew A. Apold) wrote:

>Andrew looked up from his commemorative LSH/LSV chess set when he heard someone using Michael Klordny
>Grabois's account say:
>>

>>"Ti'Julk Mr'Asz" is pronounce "Ti-julk Mer-az". And "Ayla" rhymes with
>>the Derek and the Dominoes song "Layla", but you already knew that,
>>right? <G>

>Dok'tore My-ah-vale', before people get ideas.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You mis-transliterated "DOK-ter MAY-uh-vail".

>And it's eye-lah, dammit!

^^^^^^^

You misspelled Ranzz. And mis-transliterated AY-la.

Brad Fox

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

Well It got your attention didn't it?

>: > "Ti'Julk Mr'Asz" is pronounce "Ti-julk Mer-az". And "Ayla" rhymes with

>: > the Derek and the Dominoes song "Layla", but you already knew that,
>: > right? <G>

>: Now, if I could just convince everybody that it's pronounced, "Jim
>: Allen..."

>Except then you'd be wrong since it's _G_im. BTW, you're also wrong on
>Ayla.

So I was thinking about how much fun we all could have if they ever
made a legion movie... griping about how the ruined everything...
bitching about pronounciation of names... griping about actor
choices... which [clever seguay] leads into this:

If they were making the Legion as the "summer blockbuster" what actors
should play what parts?

I'm not even going to ATTEMPT to share my thoughts (I play this game
with my other film student friends where we try to come up with the
most utterly attrocious casting possible ie Hamlet with Jim Varney and
Pee Wee Herman as Roz and Guil and James Earl Jones as the title
<<G>>)

Well maybe one. wouldn't it be a hoot to see Christopher Walken play
Macauley? He can do the evil mega-billionare (Shrek from Batman II)
but he can do that dead pan evil, slimey, wierdo, streak that Macauley
needs.

Well Legion fans... who else?

Brad
Knowing the Legion Fans this thread has probably been done a zillion
times in the past and all MUCH BETTER but hey... humor me! <<G>>
]
Brad Fox /
fo...@cadvision.com / Mean people suck.
Calgary, AB CANADA /

Verachez

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

In article <4qj7n3$5...@elmo.cadvision.com>, fo...@cadvision.com (Brad Fox)
writes:

>If they were making the Legion as the "summer blockbuster" what actors
>should play what parts?

One part that occurred to me right away was Drew Barrymore (wit a red wig)
as Kinetix.

Elmo Pausert

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

By vote, charter, and net.copping [1], casting calls belong only on
rec.arts.comics.other-media. Please continue this thread only in that
newsgroup.
--
"Kumbaya! I just handed my girlfriend over to sinister space beings!"
--Eek the Cat

elmo (mor...@physics.rice.edu,mor...@fnal.fnal.gov)
http://bonner-ibm1.rice.edu/morrow

[1] The Usenet equivalent of bell, book, and candle.

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

Previously on racdl, Brad Fox wrote:

>If they were making the Legion as the "summer blockbuster" what actors
>should play what parts?

Welcome to rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, Brad. It's always great to have a new
voice here, and we hope you'll stick around and contribute.

Unfortunately, your question doesn't belong in this newsgroup even though it
is related to the Legion of Super-Heroes. Your question is what we call the
"casting call" question, and there's a special newsgroup where such
discussions are on-topic. You'll probably get several people pointing you
to the correct newsgroup, rec.arts.comics.other-media, and I hope they're
all polite pointers.

Feel free to repost your question in that newsgroup. Hopefully, anyone
interested in discussing the potential cast of the Legion movie will
accompany you there.

Why isn't the casting call discussion on topic in this newsgroup? Mostly
because those discussions periodically occur about all the characters, and
the discussion became old hat to many of the people that have been on the
rac.* groups for a while. Finally, the rec.arts.comics.other-media group
was created at least in part as the appropriate place for the casting call
discussions that many posters still find interesting.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"Obviously, I need to give you some verbal abuse in order to cement
our bond of love and friendship."
--Ratbert, "Dilbert"

WILLIAM H. SUDDERTH

Jun 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/23/96

Brad Fox (fo...@cadvision.com) wrote:
: So I was thinking about how much fun we all could have if they ever

: made a legion movie... griping about how the ruined everything...
: bitching about pronounciation of names... griping about actor
: choices... which [clever seguay] leads into this:

If a Legion movie were ever made, God save the producers from the
"purists." <grin>

: If they were making the Legion as the "summer blockbuster" what actors
: should play what parts?

I genuinely don't think LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES would make a good
live-action movie. It would make a TERRIFIC animated feature, though. If
Warner could ever get a solidly running feature animation division
running...wow.

Will

--
William Sudderth
http://www.uncg.edu/~whsudder
Proudly married Shannon W. Sudderth April 20, 1996

SDelMonte

Jun 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/24/96

writes:

>Well Legion fans... who else?

Who would be in a Legion movie? Unknowns, of course. A cast of unknown
teens would be the only way to do it. Known actors in comic book
adaptations never work - look at the Bat-films. The Superman movies and
Lois and Lois & Clark work because the stars were virtual unknowns. It
would be better to have the stars limited to villain roles and supporting
parts, and even then, good acting rather than name appeal should be the
criterion.

Not that Chri

SDelMonte

Jun 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/24/96

In article <1996Jun2...@fnalv.fnal.gov>, mor...@fnalv.fnal.gov (Elmo
Pausert) writes:

>By vote, charter, and net.copping [1], casting calls belong only on
>rec.arts.comics.other-media. Please continue this thread only in that
>newsgroup.
>--

Thank you! Thank you!

Simon DelMonte
"If I'd known that a common enemy could bring us together,
I would have invented one years ago." - Lex Luthor

Chris Broadston

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96

fo...@cadvision.com (Brad Fox) wrote:
>>: Now, if I could just convince everybody that it's pronounced, "Jim
>>: Allen..."
>
>>Except then you'd be wrong since it's _G_im. BTW, you're also wrong on
>>Ayla.

Well I hate to disagree, but I've just been reading the pronounciation guide
from Who's Who #16, which agrees that it's pronounced Ay-la. I'm with you on
Gim's name though.

Alan Mac
Delurking for the first time in months - and by God it feels good.