LSH: AOL Chat for 2/13/97 with McCraw & Moy

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) and Jeff Moy (L*
penciller) were the guests on America Online's Legionnaires Chat
for Thursday, February 13, 1997.

Legion of Super-Heroes Chat is held every Tuesday in the DC
Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 p.m. EST. Legionnaires Chat is
held every Thursday in the same area at 10:00 p.m. EST.
(Keyword: DC CHAT.) Regular guests include Tom Peyer, Tom
McCraw, Roger Stern, Mark Waid, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd, KC Carlson
and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER - Information presented herein is not guaranteed to be
reliable. Stripped to their essentials, the Legion chats involve
approximately 25 fans shouting repeated questions at the
creators. The creators don't have time to thoroughly answer
questions and sometimes are unable to respond to clarification
questions.

SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
space separates such spoiler information.

SUBSCRIPTIONS - If you'd like to subscribe to these chat reports,
send an e-mail to "majo...@mlists.com" with the message
"subscribe lsh-chats". To unsubscribe, send the message
"unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

GRAPHICS - If you want to subscribe to Lev Kalman's weekly
humorous LSH pic, send the message "subscribe lev-pics" in the
body of an e-mail to "majo...@mlists.com". You'll receive a
MIME-encoded pic in your virtual mailbox every week.

===============

With respect to the Squiddy that he personally won for best
colorist and the Legion's strong performance in the Squiddies,
Tom stated, "thanks for the votes of confidence and support from
the entire Legion team. Knowing that people are paying attention
to what I do, makes me try to do better even more."

Regarding his strong showing in the best penciller category, Jeff
said, "I thank all the fans that voted for me and I remain
vigilant because of you all. :)"

At the time of the chat, Jeff was working on L* #51, page 5.
Jeff typically works on the pages in order unless he's instructed
to work out of order.

L* #50 was written by Tom and Roger Stern.

Tom does not think that LSH #100 will have advertisements. He
wasn't certain how much the issue would cost.

Stuart Immonen may do a story for LSH #100.

Tom noted that XS is appearing in IMPULSE #25 in her pre-powers
days. She will be about 2 years old.

Tom observed that there was no Glorith in the Legion for now.
There are no plans yet for Universo, Omen or the Infinite Man.
There were no plans for Cosmic King or Saturn Queen.

There are no plans for Kono, but readers can look for her
homeworld soon.

Tom thought that Andromeda is the tallest Legionnaire, but Jeff
believed that M'Onel would be the tallest.

Tom stated that XS is the fastest Legionnaire.

Humberto Ramos really enjoyed drawing XS while she was guest
starring in IMPULSE.

Tom assumed that Magno was old enough that he'd hit puberty.

No Booster Gold appearances are planned for now. Tom noted that
Booster Gold's flight ring was destroyed when Booster lost his
arm.

Jeff observed that the devices that are sometimes on the
Legionnaires' hands were part of their transuits.

Jeff explained that Cosmic Boy fell into a coma due to massive
psychic feedback during the fight with Dr. Psycho.

Tom indicated that the division of LSH stories (and L* #47) into
three chapters was a storytelling device. He stated that they
would not be doing it all the time.

Jeff enjoyed drawing the two teams together in L* #47. He
indicated that some of the panels with a lot of characters took a
while to draw and he hoped they were worth the wait.

Spark's tongue was seen most often in L* #47 because Jeff thought
that she should have the most tongues in that issue.

Jeff indicated that most of the pixeled Brainiac 5 in L* #47 was
Tom's work. Jeff noted that Brainiac 5 was supposed to look like
a primitive computer graphic and that Legion fan Lev Kalman's
work was far superior.

Chuck Taine's new uniform was in part due to Tom's desire to see
Chuck wear something different.

Tom noted that Brainiac 5 de-aged the geriatric patients in L*
#47. Jeff thought that Brainiac 5 could make a mint marketing
youth restoration processes.

When asked why Rond Vidar was wearing a version of Dr. Who's
coat, Jeff responded that he wondered if anyone had noticed.

Jeff pointed out that Spark and Chameleon have unfinished
business between them.

Jeff tried to leave the visual open ended concerning whether
Evisceratronic was killed or just seriously wounded by Mordru in
L* #47. Jeff noted that if he wasn't dead, he was very close.
Tom indicated that the character was dead, but observed that he
might have survived since he was connected to the life jewel when
Mordru blasted.

Tom Peyer suggested the name "Evisceratronic."

Tom observed that several of the Legionnaires supported Saturn
Girl's leadership abilities in L* #47.

Tom indicated that whether the Legionnaires would punish Lori
Morning for sabotaging the time platform in L* #47 would depend
on whether they get back home.

We will see Andromeda soon.

Jeff stated that Kinetix won't be changing her costume again real
soon because there was a big battle coming up. Jeff joked that
she was the Legion's version of the Wasp. Jeff stated that none
of the other Legionnaires will be getting new costumes in the
near future.

Tenzil Kem will not be appearing in L* #50.

Of the villains that have not yet appeared in the post-Zero
Legion, Tom's favorite is Nardo--the warden of the Super Stalag
of Space. Tom liked the way that the character looked and Jeff
expressed some admiration for him, too. Tom has been bugging
Roger Stern and KC Carlson to do a retelling of that story. When
asked if the story would include Tenzil's inflation, Tom observed
that the story's cast would be revised to incorporate the current
Legion line-up. He joked that Kinetix could be inflated in the
new version.

Tom observed that there were no plans for Weight Wizard, Shadow
Kid or Blockade Boy to show up during the Mordru story.

Tom asked fans that had not yet realized why LSH #92 was set in
the year 1958 to "think about it."

Tom would not provide any hints about which Legionnaire makes a
sacrifice in LSH #91 other than to say that the sacrifice would
not be a death.

Jeff characterized L* #51 as an aftermath issue. The roll call
for the issue includes 19 characters.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"Are we there yet?"

Jacob W Michaels

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

>===============

>Jeff enjoyed drawing the two teams together in L* #47. He

>indicated that some of the panels with a lot of characters took a
>while to draw and he hoped they were worth the wait.

They always were.

>Jeff pointed out that Spark and Chameleon have unfinished
>business between them.

I'm glad they're not forgetting this (not that I expected them to).
Seems to me from their one brief appearance in L* that Spark is
now the more interested one.

>Jeff tried to leave the visual open ended concerning whether
>Evisceratronic was killed or just seriously wounded by Mordru in
>L* #47. Jeff noted that if he wasn't dead, he was very close.
>Tom indicated that the character was dead, but observed that he
>might have survived since he was connected to the life jewel when
>Mordru blasted.

"I'm not dead yet..."

Jacob

Rob Hansen

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

>Tom noted that XS is appearing in IMPULSE #25 in her pre-powers

>days. She will be about 2 years old.

Then the version of the escape from the 30thC in FLASH #91 has clearly
been rebooted post-ZH to be at least a decade earlier as they gave a
date of 12 June 1995 for the escape.

>Tom asked fans that had not yet realized why LSH #92 was set in
>the year 1958 to "think about it."

The fact that this was the year the first LSH appearance was published
was so obvious that it didn't need any comment, so presumably Tom must
be referring to the fact that this was also the year the space age
began, with the launching into orbit of Sputnik.

Rob Hansen
My Home Page: http://www.fiawol.demon.co.uk/rob/
Feminists Against Censorship:
http://www.fiawol.demon.co.uk/FAC/