LSH AOL Chat with Peyer, McCraw & Stern - 1/9/96

1 view

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
Tom Peyer, Tom McCraw, and Roger Stern were the guests on America Online's
Legion of Super-Heroes Chat Hour for Tuesday, January 9, 1996. LSH Chat is
held every Tuesday at 6:00 p.m. EST in the chat area of DC Online. Previous
guests have included Tom Peyer, Tom McCraw, Roger Stern, Mark Waid, Jeff Moy,
Ron Boyd, KC Carlson, and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER - The chat reports present my best interpretation of what was said
at the chats. Opportunities for clarification questions are not always
possible. This report is presented for entertainment only and should not be
relied upon.

SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil upcoming storylines is placed at
the end of the chat report. No intervening spoiler space is given.

SUBSCRIPTIONS - If you'd like to receive a subscription to either these chat
reports or to MIME-encoded versions of Lev Kalman's weekly LSH pics, e-mail me
at "tro...@indirect.com".

SPECIAL THANKS - To Andrew Woodard and Lev Kalman for forwarding me copies of
the chat log from which this report was generated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tom Peyer gets the credit for naming "Captain Tro Yesq". (Thanks again, Tom!)
Tom reports that the L-Kowian race was eliminated from a draft copy of LSH
#80, but would be appearing soon.

Peyer confirmed that he and Humberto Ramos have quit X-Nation 2099 because
editor Joey Cavalieri was fired. Tom's last issue will be XN #3. Tom's last
issue of Doom 2099 will be #41. Tom joked that because he's now unemployed,
he'll finally have time to do a Legion mini-series.

Peyer promised a big surprise as to who was leading L.E.G.I.O.N. at the end of
R.E.B.E.L.S. #17. He further noted that the "Phase problem" will not be
wrapped up, but will only worsen.

Roger misses Will Payton. He finds the new Starman "kinda funky." He likes
him, but wishes that he would do more.

Roger has written L* #35, #36 & part of #37.

Roger will be writing "Man of Steel" #57 to gize Louise Simonson a break. Jay
Garrick will guest star.

McCraw will be computer-coloring Superboy starting with issue #26.

McCraw has suggested an all-tongue roll call to Jeff Moy.

There is talk of organizing an AOL LSH Chat Hour that is better timed for West
Coasters.

Roger remembers the Ghost of Ferro Lad, the introduction of Ferro Lad, and
when comics were 10 cents.

McCraw usually makes all costume coloring decisions.

McCraw believes that either Valor or Invisible Kid would make a good
mini-series.

There are plans for one of the following: Time Trapper, Mordru, or Glorith.

When a fan requested more issues like L* #23, Peyer quipped that all
subsequent issues will have higher numbers than 23. In fact, they seem to be
moving away from the number 23. When a participant pointed out that 32 was
similar to 23 in a backwards sort of way, Peyer remarked that he was glad
someone understood 32.

Peyer would love to have Superboy in the Legion, and asks that we write our
Congressperson. McCraw asked the fans to give Marz a chance with the title
after Kesel quits, and pointed out that Kesel will continue to write Superboy
in "Superboy & the Ravers".

Fans will vote for LSH leader, but the timing is up to editor KC Carlson.

McCraw quips that Andromeda is working on her tan right now.

McCraw believes that the Circle-L numbering will make things easier.

The creators expressed disbelief at the fans who had voiced skepticism about
Roger Stern joining the creative team. McCraw promised that Roger wouldn't
screw up.

Tenzil Kem has his best scenes yet in Legionnaires #35. Schvaughn also
figures in L* #35.

Universo is out there somewhere. McCraw acknowledges that a lot of people are
guessing that Universo is behind the current goings on with the UP.

Plans exist for Ferro. (ED - I did not inadvertently leave out a "no".)
There are no plans yet for Ferro's brother.

Peyer declined comment about whether the Fatal Five's backstory was true or
not. He asked if we wouldn't rather wait to read the stories and find out.
He even declined to say whether there was more to the story. He did promise
that if there was more to the story that he'd explain it.

Zoe's codename will remain Kinetix. McCraw notes that Zoe has her own mission
to follow right now.

Membership information is sensitive right now. They're racing towards a big
surprising climax in LSH #80 that will answer many questions.

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"If the abnormal goes on long enough it becomes the normal. It was just
that, when you went to explain it to a third party that it sounded odd."
--Terry Pratchett, "Moving Pictures"
LLL!

Lev Kalman

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96

In article <4dc85l$i...@globe.indirect.com> T. Troy McNemar, Esq. wrote:
>Tom Peyer gets the credit for naming "Captain Tro Yesq". (Thanks again,
> Tom!)
> Tom reports that the L-Kowian race was eliminated from a draft copy of
> LSH
>#80, but would be appearing soon.
When describing the L-Kowian race to me, Tom described them as "not
ugly"...YEAH!!!!
Lev
Lev Kalman "The Space Cowboy"
Check out my artwork-for sale at rec.arts.comics.marketplace
Legion of SuperHeroes, Legion of Substitute Heroes, LIgion of Squidstitute Heroes!
If you like any of the above contact me at LK...@aol.com of LevK...@gnn.com(which I prefer)
to subscribe to my weekly funny LSH pics!

Jeffrey T Humbert

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
(Wm. Duke Harrington) (du...@mainelink.net) wrote:
: tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

: >Roger remembers the Ghost of Ferro Lad, the introduction of Ferro Lad, and

: >when comics were 10 cents.

: I remember the ghost of Lyle, the introduction of Tyroc, and when comics
: were 30 cents

I remember the ghost of Chemical King, the introduction of Reflecto and
when comics were 50 cents. I guess I only read the not-so-great issues...

OWEN JONATHAN ERASMUS

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96

.

>Roger misses Will Payton. He finds the new Starman "kinda funky." He likes
>him, but wishes that he would do more.

He's not in the book enough to do more.

>Roger will be writing "Man of Steel" #57 to gize Louise Simonson a break. Jay
>Garrick will guest star.

There goes my Superman boycott.

>Roger remembers the Ghost of Ferro Lad, the introduction of Ferro Lad, and
>when comics were 10 cents.

I remember when they were 10p but its not quite the same.

>McCraw believes that either Valor or Invisible Kid would make a good
>mini-series.

I'd buy either of course but there must be better options. I'd like
to see a Jo and the Work force mini with them against MaCauley
or even an Ultra Boy solo mini.

>There are plans for one of the following: Time Trapper, Mordru, or Glorith.

They are not ready for him but I hope its Mordru I'm sick of
the other two. Its probably Lori as Glorith again though.

>The creators expressed disbelief at the fans who had voiced skepticism about
>Roger Stern joining the creative team. McCraw promised that Roger wouldn't
>screw up.

The creators aren't the only ones having problems with this, on what
ground were people complaining about Roger Stern he's probably
the most consistently good superhero writer around.

.>Tenzil Kem has his best scenes yet in Legionnaires #35. Schvaughn also
.>figures in L* #35.

Good news on Schvaughn not too hard as far as Tenzil goes.

>Plans exist for Ferro. (ED - I did not inadvertently leave out a "no".)
>There are no plans yet for Ferro's brother.

good

>Zoe's codename will remain Kinetix. McCraw notes that Zoe has her own mission
>to follow right now.

I'm actually liking her more now than when she was with the team she
got a bit lost in the crowd and as a new character needs a bit more
exposure.

Thanks to everyone involved in getting this posted.
Owen

MykePM

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
In article <4dc85l$i...@globe.indirect.com>, tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy
McNemar, Esq.) writes:

>Fans will vote for LSH leader, but the timing is up to editor KC Carlson.

>Membership information is sensitive right now. They're racing towards a

big
>surprising climax in LSH #80 that will answer many questions.

I'm guessing that these two items are related.

-Mike Morris

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
Previously on racdl, Owen Erasmus wrote:
>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>>Roger will be writing "Man of Steel" #57 to gize Louise Simonson a break.
Jay
>>Garrick will guest star.
>

>There goes my Superman boycott.

I'm actually on board for all of the Superbooks in "guest star month" this
month. (MOS #57 is a bonus guest shot, and not part of the month.)

>>McCraw believes that either Valor or Invisible Kid would make a good
>>mini-series.
>

>I'd buy either of course but there must be better options. I'd like
>to see a Jo and the Work force mini with them against MaCauley
>or even an Ultra Boy solo mini.

Work Force is an interesting idea, but the team is a bit scant right now.

>>There are plans for one of the following: Time Trapper, Mordru, or Glorith.
>

>They are not ready for him but I hope its Mordru I'm sick of
>the other two. Its probably Lori as Glorith again though.

I suspect Mordru. Roger Stern really wanted to tell the first Mordru story
when he came on board. I'm the least sick of the TT, and he'd be my vote.

>The creators aren't the only ones having problems with this, on what
>ground were people complaining about Roger Stern he's probably
>the most consistently good superhero writer around.

On the dreaded "Change is Bad" basis. It's hard to imagine a better choice to
replace Tom Peyer on Legionnaires, though.

>>Plans exist for Ferro.
>
>good

Agreed.

>>Zoe's codename will remain Kinetix. McCraw notes that Zoe has her own
mission
>>to follow right now.
>

>I'm actually liking her more now than when she was with the team she
>got a bit lost in the crowd and as a new character needs a bit more
>exposure.

Interesting that you like her more now. I kind of liked her with the team
while she still had her powers. I personally can't wait for the Zoe/Nura
meeting.

>Thanks to everyone involved in getting this posted.

You're welcome. :)

--

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"I'm not blessed, or merciful. I'm just me."
--Death, "Facade"
LLL!

Ben Weiss

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
On 15 Jan 1996 15:33:46 GMT,
Jeffrey T Humbert <humb...@gold.tc.umn.edu > wrote:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Cool, another U of M student! Mike Morris is a U of M grad...maybe we
can organize to get the writers to relocate Legion HQ to Minneapolis
or something... :-)

>(Wm. Duke Harrington) (du...@mainelink.net) wrote:

>: tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:
>
>: >Roger remembers the Ghost of Ferro Lad, the introduction of Ferro Lad, and

>: >when comics were 10 cents.
>

>: I remember the ghost of Lyle, the introduction of Tyroc, and when comics
>: were 30 cents
>
>I remember the ghost of Chemical King, the introduction of Reflecto and
>when comics were 50 cents. I guess I only read the not-so-great issues...

I remember the alleged ghost of Lyle, the introduction of Blok, and 60
cents. Your turn, Lev... :)
Ben

(Wm. Duke Harrington)

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:
>Tom Peyer, Tom McCraw, and Roger Stern were the guests on America Online's
>Legion of Super-Heroes Chat Hour for Tuesday, January 9, 1996.

>Tom Peyer gets the credit for naming "Captain Tro Yesq". (Thanks again, Tom!)

> Tom reports that the L-Kowian race was eliminated from a draft copy of LSH
>#80, but would be appearing soon.

But I want to know when we're going to see Flynt Bro(something)....you
know who I mean :)\

>Peyer promised a big surprise as to who was leading L.E.G.I.O.N. at the end of
>R.E.B.E.L.S. #17. He further noted that the "Phase problem" will not be
>wrapped up, but will only worsen.

Things are DEFINATELY going to get worse if they don't hurry up and retcon
Phase into the pocket universe and bring back Tinya!!!

>Roger remembers the Ghost of Ferro Lad, the introduction of Ferro Lad, and
>when comics were 10 cents.

I remember the ghost of Lyle, the introduction of Tyroc, and when comics
were 30 cents

>McCraw believes that either Valor or Invisible Kid would make a good
>mini-series.

Duke believes Valor had his shot....give it to Lyle

>There are plans for one of the following: Time Trapper, Mordru, or Glorith.

So we've just been told that they'll all be the same person

>Peyer would love to have Superboy in the Legion, and asks that we write our
>Congressperson. McCraw asked the fans to give Marz a chance with the title
>after Kesel quits, and pointed out that Kesel will continue to write Superboy
>in "Superboy & the Ravers".

What's a Raver and why not Superboy and the LSH?

>Fans will vote for LSH leader, but the timing is up to editor KC Carlson.

I vote Lyle!!!!!

>McCraw quips that Andromeda is working on her tan right now.

Good place for her

>McCraw believes that the Circle-L numbering will make things easier.

Sure it will, especially when Adventure Comics and Tales of the Legion are
added to the mix.

>The creators expressed disbelief at the fans who had voiced skepticism about
>Roger Stern joining the creative team. McCraw promised that Roger wouldn't
>screw up.

That's what we were told about Gerry Conway

>Tenzil Kem has his best scenes yet in Legionnaires #35. Schvaughn also
>figures in L* #35.

I can only hope that the MIricle Machine figures heavily into Tenzil's
scene

>Universo is out there somewhere. McCraw acknowledges that a lot of people are
>guessing that Universo is behind the current goings on with the UP.

well, DUH

>Plans exist for Ferro. (ED - I did not inadvertently leave out a "no".)
>There are no plans yet for Ferro's brother.

I still think that the Ferro we should get is the one sent into the
timestream in LSH #300

>Peyer declined comment about whether the Fatal Five's backstory was true or
>not. He asked if we wouldn't rather wait to read the stories and find out.
>He even declined to say whether there was more to the story. He did promise
>that if there was more to the story that he'd explain it.

This means that the backstory is false

>Zoe's codename will remain Kinetix. McCraw notes that Zoe has her own mission
>to follow right now.

I was sort of hoping Zoe would become the new White Witch.

Duke
8--8

Verachez

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
McNemar, Esq.) writes:

>There is talk of organizing an AOL LSH Chat Hour that is better timed for
>West
>Coasters.

Sounds good to me. I live in the New York area, but I'm never home from
work by 6:00. I was able to participate twice around the holidays, and it
was a lot of fun.

Daniel McEwen

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
On Jan 15, 1996 06:21:00 in article <Re: LSH AOL Chat with Peyer, McCraw &

Stern - 1/9/96>, '"(Wm. Duke Harrington)" <du...@mainelink.net>' wrote:

>>There are plans for one of the following: Time Trapper, Mordru, or
Glorith.

>So we've just been told that they'll all be the same person
--
Which is good. Then we won't have to see the "Mordru vs... For the Fate of
the Universe!" anymore.

Daniel McEwen

Ben Weiss

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
On Tue, 16 Jan 1996 06:45:33 GMT,
Christopher Bird <cb...@chat.carleton.ca > wrote:

>Ben Weiss (weis...@gold.tc.umn.edu) wrote:
>
>> I remember the alleged ghost of Lyle, the introduction of Blok, and 60
>> cents. Your turn, Lev... :)
>
>I remember the ghosts of slaughtered innocents, the introduction of the
>White Witch, and 75 cents.

You mean the intro of the White Witch in ADV 350? Wow, 75 cents was a lot
in the '60s... :)

>Chris--still glad he first joined Legion fandom with "The Great Darkness
>Saga".

Ben--who didn't exist in the '60s and whose first issue was the first
Conway one just after the Earthwar. Fortunately, 7-year-olds aren't
discriminating...

Christopher Bird

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
Ben Weiss (weis...@gold.tc.umn.edu) wrote:

> I remember the alleged ghost of Lyle, the introduction of Blok, and 60
> cents. Your turn, Lev... :)

I remember the ghosts of slaughtered innocents, the introduction of the
White Witch, and 75 cents.

Chris--still glad he first joined Legion fandom with "The Great Darkness
Saga".

--"You may be younger than me. You may be quicker than me. You may even
be smarter than me. But you will never, *ever*, be crazier."--Harry Stone
* Visit the Church of Cthulhu at http://chat.carleton.ca/~cbird *

Lev Kalman

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96

In article <DL9HF...@cunews.carleton.ca> Christopher Bird wrote:
>> I remember the alleged ghost of Lyle, the introduction of Blok, and 60
>> cents. Your turn, Lev... :)
>
>I remember the ghosts of slaughtered innocents, the introduction of the
>White Witch, and 75 cents.

I remember Zero Hour, 2.25 and what I had for breakfast this morning:)

Lev

Neil Barnes

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
: McNemar, Esq.) writes:

: >There is talk of organizing an AOL LSH Chat Hour that is better timed for
: >West
: >Coasters.

: Sounds good to me. I live in the New York area, but I'm never home from

: work by 6:00. I was able to participate twice around the holidays, and it
: was a lot of fun.

How about one that those of us in the UK could make? 4 o'clock on tuesday
mornings is just a bit impossible for me since it would necessitating
missing all my lectures for the rest of the week (not that I actually go
to them, but y'know).

neil

Daniel McEwen

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
On Jan 15, 1996 22:49:04 in article <Re: LSH AOL Chat with Peyer, McCraw &

Stern - 1/9/96>, 'tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.)' wrote:

>>>There are plans for one of the following: Time Trapper, Mordru, or
Glorith.

>>They are not ready for him but I hope its Mordru I'm sick of
>>the other two. Its probably Lori as Glorith again though.
>
>I suspect Mordru. Roger Stern really wanted to tell the first Mordru
story
>when he came on board. I'm the least sick of the TT, and he'd be my vote.

--
It's true that the Legion isn't ready for Mordru. Maybe this will be the
Legion's first BIG defeat.

Daniel McEwen
djmc...@usa.pipeline.com

OWEN JONATHAN ERASMUS

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
In article <4desr2$j...@globe.indirect.com>,

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
>Previously on racdl, Owen Erasmus wrote:
>>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
>

>>>Roger will be writing "Man of Steel" #57 to gize Louise Simonson a break.
>Jay
>>>Garrick will guest star.
>>
>>There goes my Superman boycott.
>
>I'm actually on board for all of the Superbooks in "guest star month" this
>month. (MOS #57 is a bonus guest shot, and not part of the month.)

I haven't heard anything about this, I know its off-topic but could someone
fill me in. Are any of the others Golden Agers? (E-mail would be
prefered as it is off topic.)

>>I'd buy either of course but there must be better options. I'd like
>>to see a Jo and the Work force mini with them against MaCauley
>>or even an Ultra Boy solo mini.
>
>Work Force is an interesting idea, but the team is a bit scant right now.

Well I really want the Jo one, but I'll settle for the work force
who presumably the writing team like and therefore have more chance
of getting made. I'd also settle for simply seeing Jo in the regular
books more often.

>I suspect Mordru. Roger Stern really wanted to tell the first Mordru story
>when he came on board. I'm the least sick of the TT, and he'd be my vote.

I like Stern's magic based stories and the first story could possibly
feature a Mordru looking for power, (in conflict with Zoe?)
and therefore he wouldn't totally outclass the team. the legion
needs a Time Trapper I just dont particularly want to read about
him at the moment.

>On the dreaded "Change is Bad" basis. It's hard to imagine a better choice to
>replace Tom Peyer on Legionnaires, though.

I'm happy with the team as it is but as a huge Stern fan I'm glad he's
doing a book I already read instead of making me add another title.

>Interesting that you like her more now. I kind of liked her with the team
>while she still had her powers. I personally can't wait for the Zoe/Nura
>meeting.

I'm not a big Nura fan and would prefer a Zoe/Jeckie meeting but
It would be good to see Nura for an issue or so. Zoe was cute while
she was in the team but didn't really add that much. She just
didn't get enough attention IMO and one or two pages on her
own each month seems to add more to her than 20 pages of her
hanging around not doing much.
Owen

Andrew A. Apold

Jan 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/22/96
Mordru nearly choked on Elvabird when Daniel McEwen said...

>>>They are not ready for him but I hope its Mordru I'm sick of
>>>the other two. Its probably Lori as Glorith again though.
>>

>>I suspect Mordru. Roger Stern really wanted to tell the first Mordru
>story
>>when he came on board. I'm the least sick of the TT, and he'd be my vote.

>It's true that the Legion isn't ready for Mordru. Maybe this will be the
>Legion's first BIG defeat.

I thank you for your support. Indeed, they are not ready for me, but then
again, who is? I shall consult further with the other net-mordrus.

\ Andrew A. Apold (mor...@magg.net \