LSH: AOL Chats for 4/27/99 & 4/29/99: McCraw, Moy & McAvennie

Alex Tam

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist), Jeff Moy (L* penciller) and Mike
McAvennie (LSH/L* editor) were the guests on America Online's Legion of
Super-Heroes Chat for Tuesday, April 27, 1999. McCraw also attended
Legionnaires Chat for Thursday, April 29, 1999. Legion of Super-Heroes
Chat takes place every Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00
PM EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every Thursday in the same area at 10:00
PM EST. (Keyword: CHAT DC.) Regular guests include Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy,
Ron Boyd and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report. Essentially,
the Legion chats involve about fifteen fans shouting repeated questions to
the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations may
occur on my part.

SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
info from the more general comments.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: To subscribe to these chat reports, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lsh-chats". To
unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

PLUGS: To browse this fan's STARMAN website, visit
http://users.aol.com/nachro2/starhome.htm

For all your LSH online needs, check out the Legion of Super-Resources at
http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm

A BIG THANKS: To James Schee for logging Tuesday's chat.

:=========================:

Mike strongly encouraged the fans to write more letters. Any
Legion-related e-mail can go to DCODC...@aol.com, or straight to him at
DCOMi...@aol.com.

It took Tom longer than usual to color Keron Grant's work in LSH #116. As
far as Tom knows, Grant won't be one of the new pencillers on the Legion
books. Tom isn't sure yet if he'll color the books after the "Legion of
the Damned" story arc-- that depends on the new artists wanting him to stay.

Tom doesn't think we'll ever see Kent Shakespeare again; "he resembled
Superman too much." Kent was once supposed to be the descendant of
Superman, but the SUPERMAN crew rejected the idea.

Tom believes that the Legion could afford to trim down to about twenty
members. Jeff thought that the number of Legionnaires was fine, but the
placements of certain characters (on the Outpost or at HQ) "could [have
used] some work."

Mike opined that the anomaly plotline was confusingly executed, despite the
potential he saw in it. However, he's glad that the story resulted in the
upgrade to Brainiac 5.1.

Mike likes Timber Wolf, so the creators might bring him back one day. But
for now, Mike is focusing on "adding new players to the cast." Only Roger
Stern knows what happened during Timber Wolf's untold meeting with the
Legion. As well, Tom indicated that "Feral was a red herring."

Thunder was intended to be a twist on the preboot Superboy, according to
Tom. Just like the original Superboy, Thunder can leave her era to
participate in Legion missions "every now and then," but she's from the
future and not the past.

The L.E.G.I.O.N., along with other DCU characters, appear in LSH #119.
Lobo only appears once in a quick group shot.

There were plans to show Condo Arlik again, but he was cut from L* #77 (the
beach issue) so it could focus more on the Legionnaires. He indicated that
Condo is "slightly older" than the Legionnaires.

Contrary to previously announced plans, the current creators will *not*
reveal who Invisible Kid's "C" friend is. Tom said, "it was decided not to
leave it for the new writers to have to deal with;" it's the "professional"
thing to do. When Tom's writing tenure is over, he'll tell us who "C" was
supposed to be. As well, we *won't* find out if any Legionnaires are gay.

What we will see before the current creators bow out, is Wildfire (as Tom
promises) and a rematch with the Fatal Five. And nobody (nobody important,
I guess) is slated to die, as far as Tom knows.

-- Alex Tam
gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

Reaus

May 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/3/99
Alex Tam wrote:

> Contrary to previously announced plans, the current creators will *not*
> reveal who Invisible Kid's "C" friend is. Tom said, "it was decided not to
> leave it for the new writers to have to deal with;" it's the "professional"
> thing to do. When Tom's writing tenure is over, he'll tell us who "C" was
> supposed to be. As well, we *won't* find out if any Legionnaires are gay.

that in itself, speaks volumes. Tom told us that 'C' and the gay
Legionnaire plotlines were "related", so the fact that both of them are
no-goes makes me think that it really was Lyle who was going to be
outed.

~Tim~
aka:bl...@aol.com