LSH: AOL Chat for 11/21/96 with McCraw & Moy

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) and Jeff Moy (L*
penciller) were the guests on America Online's Legionnaires Chat
for Tuesday, November 21, 1996. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat is
held every Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00
p.m. EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every Thursday in the same
area at 10:00 p.m. EST. (Keyword: DC CHAT.) Regular guests
include Tom Peyer, Tom McCraw, Roger Stern, Mark Waid, Jeff Moy,
Ron Boyd, KC Carlson and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER - Information presented herein is not guaranteed to be
reliable. Stripped to their essentials, the Legion chats involve
approximately 25 fans shouting repeated questions at the
creators. The creators don't have time to thoroughly answer
questions and sometimes are unable to respond to clarification
questions.

SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
space separates such spoiler information.

SUBSCRIPTIONS - If you'd like to subscribe (or unsubscribe) to
these chat reports, please send me an e-mail at
"tro...@indirect.com".

GRAPHICS - If you want to subscribe to Lev Kalman's weekly
humorous LSH pic, send the message "subscribe lev-pics" in the
body of an e-mail to "majo...@idyllmtn.com". You'll receive a
MIME-encoded pic in your virtual mailbox every week.

===============

Legion of Super-Heroes Archives volume 6 has been released.

Jeff had just received the script for L* #49 and had started
doing layouts.

Tom does not know of any Legion appearances outside their own
books after SUPERMAN PLUS and SOVEREIGN SEVEN PLUS.

Tom was not able to say anything about LSH #100, but promised
lots of surprises.

Tom observed that both Sensor and Umbra were a little headstrong.

Tom noted that we already see some of the Legionnaires getting
together to talk about the others. He couldn't imagine a group
of teenagers getting along together all the time.

Jeff estimated that Shvaughn was approximately 20 years old. He
pointed out that her role was Liaison Lass to the Legion.

Jeff guessed that Lori was a ward of the state in the 30th
century. Tom thought that Marla was probably responsible for her
now that she had physically reverted back to a 10 year old.

There are no plans for Grimbor the Chainsman.

Tom indicated that there were no plans for Blok, and he would
rather see Timber Wolf first.

It's been suggested that Chemical King be an albino when he
returns. Tom was not certain if the suggestion was that he would
be a natural albino or if it would be a condition caused by an
accident of his powers.

Tom does not foresee any bouncing powers in Chuck Taine's future
yet. Tom thinks that Chuck is too smart to accidentally drink an
experimental serum.

Ze Tongue is not joining the Legion any time soon.

Jeff really likes Inferno's current costume which he designed.
He was trying to give her flames similar to those found on hot
rod cars.

Tom stated that they are hoping that Superboy will be appearing
in LSH before the team returns to the 30th century. His
appearance will depend on whether they're allowed to use him for
a story that they have been planning.

Tom indicated that he keeps suggesting a Metal Men appearance to
Tom Peyer, but Peyer keeps delaying an appearance because the
story is going in a different direction.

Tom would like to see a mini-series with either Brainiac 5 or the
three founding members. He joked that an Invisible Kid story
would have to be a maxi-series because there is too much story to
tell.

Tom misses Leviathan. He stated that the death was a result of
the way the story progressed.

Dreamer and Mysa are not related in post-Zero continuity.

Tom believes that fans will start liking Magno soon, especially
by L* #50. He joked that he would like to see Cosmic Boy and
Magno battle for the Legion membership position, but observed
that both can be members of the team.

Tom promised that the rookies will grow into characters just like
the other Legionnaires did.

Tom and Jeff stated that Star Boy was off with Dreamer during L*
#44.

Jeff indicated that the election results did not interfere with
any story plans because the creators had time to adjust to the
new leader.

One of the stories coming up in LSH is a love story.

Ayla will be taking a walk through the countryside of the 20th
century.

Andromeda will be returning soon.

Upcoming villains include Mantis Morlo, Mordru, and Computo.

Jeff had not reconsidered the decision not to give Mordru a hat.

Tom did not think the 20th century team would have any additional
time to get flight rings during the upcoming crossover in L*
#47/LSH #91. When it was suggested that Ferro deserved one, Tom
wondered if they shouldn't take Superboy's since Superboy was not
using his.

L* #49 will show how Sensor's race can manipulate objects without
arms. Jeff wouldn't say if the Legionnaires were going to
Orando.

Jeff indicated that he was going to have to do a lot of designing
for L* #49.

Tom stated that everyone in the 30th century would be on hand for
L* #50. He indicated that Tenzil Kem will be guarding Legion HQ
again.

Tom indicated that the Legion of Substitute Heroes were around.

Jeff indicated that Mordru would be keeping the Legion busy for
the foreseeable future.

There is a Ferro spotlight issue coming up.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"Futility is resistant."

David J. Snyder

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

In article <1.5.4.16.1996112...@goodnet.com>,

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>Ze Tongue is not joining the Legion any time soon.

Ze Tongue will however be a member of the Teenage
Death Squad, just as soon as the Squad actually comes
into existence.

-Dave
--
"It's the animals I feel sorry for. They'll never get out of here.
Times have changed and no one will ever want to bring them out.

mor...@aol.com

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> writes:

>Dreamer and Mysa are not related in post-Zero continuity.

AARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!
Please don't let this be true. Okay, sure, if they mean that Dreamer
isn't related to the old hag Mysa, but IS related to another, younger,
Mysa known as the White Witch, I can live with that.
I just hope they change their minds before it is cannonized in the books
themselves.
sincerely,
david moran

Ben Weiss

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

>It's been suggested that Chemical King be an albino when he
>returns. Tom was not certain if the suggestion was that he would
>be a natural albino or if it would be a condition caused by an
>accident of his powers.

It could be logical as an accident, but I'd rather have CK be nonwhite
and show it. Comics have a tendency to use nonwhite characters who
don't show it, from Mr. Bones of _Infinity Inc._ to Spawn. Besides,
the One True Original White Witch is all the albino the Legion needs.
:)

>Tom would like to see a mini-series with either Brainiac 5 or the
>three founding members. He joked that an Invisible Kid story
>would have to be a maxi-series because there is too much story to
>tell.

They *could* always *start* telling some of it...

>Dreamer and Mysa are not related in post-Zero continuity.

Okay. But does Dreamer have a sister who can become the White Witch?
(At least she doesn't have to be the only non-powered Naltorian this
time around.)

>Upcoming villains include Mantis Morlo, Mordru, and Computo.

Interesting news on that third one--and we really haven't had many
spoilers on Team 20 stuff to come. It'll be nice to get Team 20 out
of crossover hell and back with a Legion villain.

>L* #49 will show how Sensor's race can manipulate objects without
>arms. Jeff wouldn't say if the Legionnaires were going to
>Orando.

...But that's an interesting hint, and fits with a Mordru story.

>Tom indicated that the Legion of Substitute Heroes were around.

Any bets that they're the third super-team from #50 noted a chat or
two ago?

>There is a Ferro spotlight issue coming up.

Very good news.
Ben

David Crowe

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

[...]

Even smart people have accidents...

: Tom did not think the 20th century team would have any additional

: time to get flight rings during the upcoming crossover in L*
: #47/LSH #91. When it was suggested that Ferro deserved one, Tom
: wondered if they shouldn't take Superboy's since Superboy was not
: using his.

Don't the LSHers carry a spare ring in one of those belt pouches?
Considering what an invaluable tool they are, it would seem strange not
to.

--
David "No Nickname" Crowe No generalization is true
-not even this one.

mor...@aol.com

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

In article <19961125214...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, mor...@aol.com
writes:

>In article <1.5.4.16.1996112...@goodnet.com>, "T. Troy

>McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> writes:
>
>>Dreamer and Mysa are not related in post-Zero continuity.

Whoops! Just wanted to point out that Mr. McNemar was only relaying
something from one of the creators in a Legion chat and that I shouldn't
have attributed this quote to him. Sorry, Troy.
sincerely,
david moran

Bill Roper

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

In article <57dmjd$2...@nnrp1.news.primenet.com>,
David Crowe <jet...@primenet.com> wrote:
>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
>: Tom does not foresee any bouncing powers in Chuck Taine's future

>: yet. Tom thinks that Chuck is too smart to accidentally drink an
>: experimental serum.
>
>Even smart people have accidents...

For instance:

Chuck is working (on the architecture, ok :)) in Brainy's lab when one
of Brainy's experiments misfires and sends a bolt of lightning through
a rack of chemicals, spilling them on Chuck. Among the chemicals is
an experimental super-plastic serum that Brainy had developed, then
put away as having no use that he could think of.

The interaction between the super-plastic serum, the other chemicals,
and the lightning not only gives Chuck the bouncing powers, but also
gives him a connection to the Speed Force and limited super-speed.

This, of course, allows Chuck to join the LSH as Fastball. :)

--
Bill Roper, ro...@mcs.net

Rob Hansen

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

>Tom noted that we already see some of the Legionnaires getting

>together to talk about the others. He couldn't imagine a group
>of teenagers getting along together all the time.

True enough. Actually we see far less bickering and far fewer cliques
than you'd expect in a group of typical teenagers of this size.

>Jeff really likes Inferno's current costume which he designed.
>He was trying to give her flames similar to those found on hot
>rod cars.

Personally, I thought this one of his poorer designs.

>Tom would like to see a mini-series with either Brainiac 5 or the
>three founding members. He joked that an Invisible Kid story
>would have to be a maxi-series because there is too much story to
>tell.

Nevertheless, it's past time we started having _some_ of that story
told.

>Dreamer and Mysa are not related in post-Zero continuity.

_That's_ going to tick off a few people on this group.

>Tom believes that fans will start liking Magno soon, especially
>by L* #50. He joked that he would like to see Cosmic Boy and
>Magno battle for the Legion membership position, but observed
>that both can be members of the team.

I can't see that Magno adds _anything_ to the team. He seems a totally
pointless character.

>Tom and Jeff stated that Star Boy was off with Dreamer during L*
>#44.

It would've been nice to see a panel or two devoted to this in the
comic itself.

>Upcoming villains include Mantis Morlo, Mordru, and Computo.

Ah ha! Is this the first time a postboot Computo appearance has been
confirmed?

>Jeff had not reconsidered the decision not to give Mordru a hat.

As long as you don't give him a tutu....

>Tom indicated that the Legion of Substitute Heroes were around.

That much was clear after L* #43. But...._why_?

>Jeff indicated that Mordru would be keeping the Legion busy for
>the foreseeable future.

Good. Just as I hope the Time Trapper will be slowly and gradually
introduced as powerful and enigmatic, so the creators should take the
time to establish just how powerful and dangerouis Mordru is. In a way
he's to the LSH what Dr Doom was to the FF, their arch-enemy.

Rob Hansen
My Home Page: http://www.fiawol.demon.co.uk/rob/
Feminists Against Censorship:
http://www.fiawol.demon.co.uk/FAC/

dscot...@aol.com

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

In article <57evu9$n...@Jupiter.Mcs.Net>, ro...@MCS.COM (Bill Roper)
writes:

>For instance:
>
>Chuck is working (on the architecture, ok :)) in Brainy's lab when one
>of Brainy's experiments misfires and sends a bolt of lightning through
>a rack of chemicals, spilling them on Chuck. Among the chemicals is
>an experimental super-plastic serum that Brainy had developed, then
>put away as having no use that he could think of.
>
>The interaction between the super-plastic serum, the other chemicals,
>and the lightning not only gives Chuck the bouncing powers, but also
>gives him a connection to the Speed Force and limited super-speed.
>
>This, of course, allows Chuck to join the LSH as Fastball. :)

Or, it could tie him into the Bounce force.

Dave Doty, who honestly never saw the point of a speed force.

Greg Brume

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

In article <19961126172...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
dscot...@aol.com wrote:

> Or, it could tie him into the Bounce force.
>
> Dave Doty, who honestly never saw the point of a speed force.

No, no...that would mean Chuck Kaine would be stuck doing the laundry
(until he could turn the Tide and Wisk away?)

--
"There's no such thing as a pleasantly-surprised optimist"

Ben Weiss

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

>>Jeff really likes Inferno's current costume which he designed.
>>He was trying to give her flames similar to those found on hot
>>rod cars.
>>
>Personally, I thought this one of his poorer designs.

Agreed.

>>Dreamer and Mysa are not related in post-Zero continuity.
>
>_That's_ going to tick off a few people on this group.

I'll withhold judgment as long as it's possible that either Mysa or a
sister of Nura could become the White Witch.

>>Tom and Jeff stated that Star Boy was off with Dreamer during L*
>>#44.
>
>It would've been nice to see a panel or two devoted to this in the
>comic itself.

Hopefully it will be shown in #45.

>>Tom indicated that the Legion of Substitute Heroes were around.
>
>That much was clear after L* #43. But...._why_?

Because they're an integral part of the Legion legend and particularly
of Polar Boy's history.
Ben

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Nov 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/28/96

My esteemed colleague, r...@fiawol.demon.co.uk (Rob Hansen), wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Nov 1996 07:04:38 -0700 (MST), "T. Troy McNemar, Esq."
> <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>> Tom and Jeff stated that Star Boy was off with Dreamer during L*
>> #44.
>

> It would've been nice to see a panel or two devoted to this in the
> comic itself.

I'm under the impression that they address this in an upcoming issue.

>> Tom indicated that the Legion of Substitute Heroes were around.
>

> That much was clear after L* #43. But...._why_?

Perhaps they're patiently waiting for their big chance against Pulsar
Stargrave?

Felix J. Torres

Dec 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/1/96

In article <1.5.4.16.1996112...@goodnet.com>, "T. Troy
McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> says:

>Tom did not think the 20th century team would have any additional
>time to get flight rings during the upcoming crossover in L*
>#47/LSH #91. When it was suggested that Ferro deserved one, Tom
>wondered if they shouldn't take Superboy's since Superboy was not
>using his.

Except he doesn't have the ring anymore.
He gave it to Roxy Leach.

Joseph A Santoro Jr

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

dscot...@aol.com wrote:
: In article <57evu9$n...@Jupiter.Mcs.Net>, ro...@MCS.COM (Bill Roper)
: writes:
:
: >
: >This, of course, allows Chuck to join the LSH as Fastball. :)
:
: Or, it could tie him into the Bounce force.

That would be Speedball from New Warriors....
-- Joe, who would actually like to see a LSH/NW crossover

:
: Dave Doty, who honestly never saw the point of a speed force.
:

Eivind Gladheim Oestreng

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>Tom does not foresee any bouncing powers in Chuck Taine's future
>yet. Tom thinks that Chuck is too smart to accidentally drink an
>experimental serum.

Even if, say, that Tenzil accidentially gave the serum to Chuck to drink instead
of the soda he ordered?

- EGO, the Warped One, keeper of the Captain Ultra flame.

"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what *can* you
believe?!" - Bullwinkle J. Moose
* Eivind Gladheim Oestreng * eivi...@sn.no * provider of the lutefisk *

richw...@aol.com

Dec 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/8/96

In article <32a1d241...@news.sn.no>, eivi...@sn.no (Eivind Gladheim
Oestreng) writes:

>"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
>
>>Tom does not foresee any bouncing powers in Chuck Taine's future
>>yet. Tom thinks that Chuck is too smart to accidentally drink an
>>experimental serum.
>
>Even if, say, that Tenzil accidentially gave the serum to Chuck to drink
>instead
>of the soda he ordered?

That is *such* a cool idea! ROFLOL!

Rich Whitten