LSH: AOL Chat for 5/21/98: McCraw & Moy

Alex Tam

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) and Jeff Moy (L* penciller) were
the guests on America Online's Legionnaires Chat for Thursday, May 21,
1998. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat takes place every Tuesday in the DC
Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 PM EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every
Thursday in the same area at 10:00 PM EST. (Keyword: CHAT DC.) Regular
guests include Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy, Jason Armstrong, Ron Boyd and Mike
McAvennie.

Thanks to T. Troy McNemar who originated the Legion Chat Reports; so much
of the format of these writeups was derived from his hard work.

DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report. Essentially,
the Legion chats involve about twenty-five fans shouting repeated questions
to the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations may
occur on my part.

SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
info from the more general comments.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: To subscribe to these chat reports, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lsh-chats". To
unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

PLUGS: To subscribe to Lev Kalman's humorous LSH pics, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lev-pics". You'll get a
new cartoon e-mailed to you about once every two weeks.

To browse this fan's STARMAN website, visit
http://users.aol.com/nachro2/starhome.htm

Finally, for all your LSH online needs, check out the Legion of
Super-Resources at http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm

:=========================:

Jeff, his brother Phil, and inker Cory Carani will be in Indianapolis on
June 7th for a one-day convention.

As long as he's on the book, Jeff swears that Rokk won't return to the Mike
Grell-designed corset costume.

Tom said that the whole creative team coins the 30th Century swear words.
He isn't sure if he came up with any himself, but "Grife" is his favorite.

There are no plans for Double-Header, but maybe for some of the other Subs.

Kid Quantum won't be having her own spotlight story yet, but Tom noted her
relative lack of a backstory.

The mysterious ending of the introductory anomaly story in LSH #100 (which
sees a voice or voices saying "Now man shall join woman." "Both here"
"Where everything begins" "Now creation may begin anew" "This time it
shall be right") might be followed up on. But that depends on editor Mike
McAvennie's approval of the originally planned direction for that ending.
There's no rush to carry their ideas out, even if the creators have to wait
for another editor.

Tom and former DC Online host Mike Leib are working on ideas for the return
of the Wanderers.

Karate Kid's name won't change since DC wants to keep it trademarked,
considering the movies of the same name. The creators might investigate
next year whether Val and Sensor could have a mutual romantic interest.
Val might gain a symbol in the shape of a hand; Jeka's icon is a snake
curled into an 'S'.

Tom has suggested a scene where Val practices martial arts with Luornu. If
Tom Peyer approves, next they'll have to figure out a good opportunity to
include it alongside the more primary storylines.

Jeff said that Tasmia and M'Onel won't become a couple soon.

Plans are in store for Dyrk Magz. Tom said not to expect much other than
some focus.

We'll find out soon why Lori's H-Dial is faulty.

Triad is a main player in LSH #106 and #107; she'll be showing off her
self-developed "trijitsu" skills. She'll be saving Ayla's life; then Ayla
will return the favor.

-- Alex Tam
gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

Mr Reaus

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Alex Tam wrote:

> :=========================:
>
> Jeff, his brother Phil, and inker Cory Carani will be in Indianapolis on
> June 7th for a one-day convention.
>
> As long as he's on the book, Jeff swears that Rokk won't return to the Mike
> Grell-designed corset costume.

Thank Goodness!! That costume was an abomination. It's the only Grell
costume I really disliked.

> Tom said that the whole creative team coins the 30th Century swear words.
> He isn't sure if he came up with any himself, but "Grife" is his favorite.

I have used that one in public before. LOL. (yep, I was asked what the
heck Grife meant.)

> There are no plans for Double-Header, but maybe for some of the other Subs.

I want to see a mini-series starring Double-Header, Antenna Lad and
Arm-Fall-Off Boy.

> Kid Quantum won't be having her own spotlight story yet, but Tom noted her
> relative lack of a backstory.

It's way too early for that. There are so many other characters who need
following up on, that it's starting to resemble a Chris Claremont
masterpiece.

> The mysterious ending of the introductory anomaly story in LSH #100 (which
> sees a voice or voices saying "Now man shall join woman." "Both here"
> "Where everything begins" "Now creation may begin anew" "This time it
> shall be right") might be followed up on. But that depends on editor Mike
> McAvennie's approval of the originally planned direction for that ending.
> There's no rush to carry their ideas out, even if the creators have to wait
> for another editor.

Having been the one who asked this question, I can tell you that Tom and
Jeff seem to have absolutely no idea where this storyline is going.
Evidently, when Mike heard what they had planned, he took a deep breath
and and basically said... "We'll see." It's no wonder that the story
seems to be floundering and going nowhere. If Mike really wants to
tighten things up, he needs to make the decisions NOW, and get on with
telling the stories. We are 6 months into the Anomaly Arc, (and that's
with 2 titles), and the creaters don't even know how they are going to
be allowed to finish the story. I'm sorry, but that is just pitiful.

> Tom and former DC Online host Mike Leib are working on ideas for the return
> of the Wanderers.

Cool, their short-lived series notwithstanding, I have always liked the
Wanderers. I just hope that M'Onel (the wanderer) stays with the Legion,
because he would be a perfect fit for them.

> Karate Kid's name won't change since DC wants to keep it trademarked,
> considering the movies of the same name.

Same way Marvel keeps "Captain Marvel" trademarked.

> The creators might investigate
> next year whether Val and Sensor could have a mutual romantic interest.
> Val might gain a symbol in the shape of a hand; Jeka's icon is a snake
> curled into an 'S'.
>
> Tom has suggested a scene where Val practices martial arts with Luornu. If
> Tom Peyer approves, next they'll have to figure out a good opportunity to
> include it alongside the more primary storylines.

No matter how good Lu is at this Tri-Jitsu, Val has to be better. He is
supposed to be the supreme master of every known Martial Art and
hand-to-hand combat. (Oracles: There is no shame in her being 2nd best
to Val! Ok?)
:-)

> Jeff said that Tasmia and M'Onel won't become a couple soon.

That oughta make XS happy!

> Plans are in store for Dyrk Magz. Tom said not to expect much other than
> some focus.

'bout time, how about some focus on the Jan? He needs it just as bad.

> We'll find out soon why Lori's H-Dial is faulty.

It's faulty? It seems to have been working fine. I remember the Trapper
saying something to that effect, but I don't ever remember seeing it
work improperly. Course, I'm not really that familiar with the Dial, so
I'm sure someone will clear this up for me.

> Triad is a main player in LSH #106 and #107; she'll be showing off her
> self-developed "trijitsu" skills. She'll be saving Ayla's life; then Ayla
> will return the favor.

Ooooooooo!!! Do I sense a budding romance here?
(not that there's anything wrong with that!!)
--
Tim
aka Bl...@aol.com

----------====================

...When I learned the truth about the Legion, I joined their ranks,
seeking the truth about myself.
...Instead, it only grew further from my grasp.
...I am silicon trapped among carbon.
Blok - LSH V.3 #55

Pip...@my-dejanews.com

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

In article <3.0.1.32.1998052...@pop.intergate.bc.ca>,

> Kid Quantum won't be having her own spotlight story yet, but Tom noted her
> relative lack of a backstory.

I hope she doesn't have a spotlight any time soon. Though I like KQ, she's
had more "screen time" than several of the other legionnaires already, such as
Jan, Tasmia, or Val.

> Jeff said that Tasmia and M'Onel won't become a couple soon.

Of course this can't happen. Umbra is obviously restricted to only about 5-6
panels on average in an issue when she appears at all.

Piper

Mr Reaus

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Dale Hicks wrote:

> Randy Lander <rwla...@io.com> wrote in article <3565cde...@news.flash.net>...
> > On 22 May 1998 06:09:01 -0700, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca>

> > wrote:
> >
> > >The mysterious ending of the introductory anomaly story in LSH #100 (which
> > >sees a voice or voices saying "Now man shall join woman." "Both here"
> > >"Where everything begins" "Now creation may begin anew" "This time it
> > >shall be right") might be followed up on.
> >
> > This annoys me. A lot. You introduce things like that and don't follow
> > up on them? Now, if you say it might be followed up on in the way they
> > planned it, that's one thing. (And maybe that's what they meant.) But
> > I don't like the idea that they're just throwing things out there, and
> > they'll resolve some of them.
>
> Another poster that posed the question said that the response was
> indifferent because the new editor wasn't sure if the direction
> of the book would continue as planned. So it appears to be a case
> where the creative directions were altered, instead of people
> ignoring their setups.

That is exactly how Tom and Jeff answered the question. When Mike came
onto the books, they told him about the direction they were going with
that story arc. Mike took a deep breath (Tom's wording, not mine) and
basically said "We'll see" (paraphrasing now, as I don't remember his
exact wording)

They have absolutely no idea how Mike is going to let them wrap up this
storyline. Tom did say that it was something that there was no rush on.
And that it could easily wait until a new editor came on board. So,
this story arc, may just disappear to the back burner for a long time.

That, to me, is a bad sign. The writers have stories in progress that
may have to wait on a new editor? It doesn't sound like they are getting
along very well. At the very least, there is a conflict on which
direction they want to go. This doesn't seem to bode well for the next
few months of the Legion. I really hope that they can iron out the
diffences in their visions of the Legion so that the flow, pacing and
consistency that is missing now, will return.

Randy Lander

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

wrote:

>Kid Quantum won't be having her own spotlight story yet, but Tom noted her

>relative lack of a backstory.

Maybe we could give her a panel or two previously slated for
Monstress.

>The mysterious ending of the introductory anomaly story in LSH #100 (which
>sees a voice or voices saying "Now man shall join woman." "Both here"
>"Where everything begins" "Now creation may begin anew" "This time it
>shall be right") might be followed up on.

This annoys me. A lot. You introduce things like that and don't follow
up on them? Now, if you say it might be followed up on in the way they
planned it, that's one thing. (And maybe that's what they meant.) But
I don't like the idea that they're just throwing things out there, and
they'll resolve some of them.

>There's no rush to carry their ideas out, even if the creators have to wait
>for another editor.

Anyone reading the books knows that there is no rush to carry their
ideas out. :)

>Jeff said that Tasmia and M'Onel won't become a couple soon.

Neither will Quantum & Woody.

>Plans are in store for Dyrk Magz. Tom said not to expect much other than
>some focus.

We could use a little focus. Also a little horizontal hold.

>We'll find out soon why Lori's H-Dial is faulty.

When do we find out why Lori is faulty?

The above are the opinions of Randy Lander. Had they been
the biblical truth, your bushes would be on fire.
rwla...@io.com <*> http://www.io.com/~rwlander

Dale Hicks

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

Randy Lander <rwla...@io.com> wrote in article <3565cde...@news.flash.net>...

> On 22 May 1998 06:09:01 -0700, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >The mysterious ending of the introductory anomaly story in LSH #100 (which
> >sees a voice or voices saying "Now man shall join woman." "Both here"
> >"Where everything begins" "Now creation may begin anew" "This time it
> >shall be right") might be followed up on.
>
> This annoys me. A lot. You introduce things like that and don't follow
> up on them? Now, if you say it might be followed up on in the way they
> planned it, that's one thing. (And maybe that's what they meant.) But
> I don't like the idea that they're just throwing things out there, and
> they'll resolve some of them.

Another poster that posed the question said that the response was

indifferent because the new editor wasn't sure if the direction
of the book would continue as planned. So it appears to be a case
where the creative directions were altered, instead of people
ignoring their setups.

--
Roman Numeral One icono...@mail.clis.com

Sidne G. Ward

May 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/23/98

tpe...@aol.com (TPeyer) writes:

>From: Mr Reaus <MrR...@nospam.aol.com>

>>We are 6 months into the Anomaly Arc, (and that's
>>with 2 titles), and the creaters don't even know how they are going to
>>be allowed to finish the story. I'm sorry, but that is just pitiful.

>Actually, we wrote the final chapters of the anomaly story weeks and weeks ago.
> It's old news to us. Three issues of LSH have been written since.

Geez, thanks for coming in and spoiling our perfectly good pointless
complaints with the truth.

:)

Sidne Gail Ward
sw...@primenet.com
Join fellow LSH fans and other r.a.c.ers in Las Vegas from June 11-14!
For details see: http://www.primenet.com/~sward/saturngirl/lsh/lsg2.htm

TPeyer

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

From: Mr Reaus <MrR...@nospam.aol.com>

>We are 6 months into the Anomaly Arc, (and that's
>with 2 titles), and the creaters don't even know how they are going to
>be allowed to finish the story. I'm sorry, but that is just pitiful.

Actually, we wrote the final chapters of the anomaly story weeks and weeks ago.
It's old news to us. Three issues of LSH have been written since.

T.

Dale Hicks

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

TPeyer <tpe...@aol.com> wrote in article <199805240023...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

This is the best news in quite a while, but I'm left confused. The
Dark Circle story was reported to be a six-part story, correct?
Does this mean that the anomaly is solved before the Dark Circle is
defeated?

Also, I just read the teaser for the next issues. Apparently, we're
getting the Cham as fugitive story a little early.

SDelMonte

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98
<gol...@intergate.bc.ca> writes:

>Jeff, his brother Phil, and inker Cory Carani will be in Indianapolis on
>June 7th for a one-day convention.

They will particpate in the annual Moy 500 pencilling race.

>As long as he's on the book, Jeff swears that Rokk won't return to the Mike
>Grell-designed corset costume.

Thank the lord!

>Tom said that the whole creative team coins the 30th Century swear words.
>He isn't sure if he came up with any himself, but "Grife" is his favorite.

I much prefer the curses from "Battlestar Galactica" - Frak anyone?

>There are no plans for Double-Header, but maybe for some of the other Subs.

Yeah, there's just no demand for doubleheaders anymore.

>Kid Quantum won't be having her own spotlight story yet, but Tom noted her
>relative lack of a backstory.

In other words, they're not much to say, is there?

>The mysterious ending of the introductory anomaly story in LSH #100 (which
>sees a voice or voices saying "Now man shall join woman." "Both here"
>"Where everything begins" "Now creation may begin anew" "This time it

>shall be right") might be followed up on. But that depends on editor Mike
>McAvennie's approval of the originally planned direction for that ending.

>There's no rush to carry their ideas out, even if the creators have to wait
>for another editor.

In other words, they bring back Paul Levitz, who plants some great seeds for
the future, and the new editor doesn't recognize legendary talent when he sees
it. This is not good.

>Tom and former DC Online host Mike Leib are working on ideas for the return
>of the Wanderers.

Wasn't that an old movie that sort of inspired "Happy Days?" :)

>Karate Kid's name won't change since DC wants to keep it trademarked,
>considering the movies of the same name.

Last I heard, DC still owned the name and the filmmakers had to "rent" it.

> The creators might investigate
>next year whether Val and Sensor could have a mutual romantic interest.
>Val might gain a symbol in the shape of a hand; Jeka's icon is a snake
>curled into an 'S'.

Ah! Just like Superman (as seen in "The Kents.")

>Tom has suggested a scene where Val practices martial arts with Luornu. If
>Tom Peyer approves, next they'll have to figure out a good opportunity to
>include it alongside the more primary storylines.

Trijitsu lives!

>Jeff said that Tasmia and M'Onel won't become a couple soon.

Then what is the matter with Lar?

>Plans are in store for Dyrk Magz. Tom said not to expect much other than
>some focus.

Right now he's rather blurry.

>We'll find out soon why Lori's H-Dial is faulty.

Probably because her dial has a Q and a Z.

>Triad is a main player in LSH #106 and #107; she'll be showing off her
>self-developed "trijitsu" skills. She'll be saving Ayla's life; then Ayla
>will return the favor.

See - I told you trijitsu lives!

Simon DelMonte
"You can't go home again. But apparently you can shop there." - Martin Q.
Blank, "Grosse Pointe Blank"

Mr Reaus

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

TPeyer wrote:

> From: Mr Reaus <MrR...@nospam.aol.com>
>
> >We are 6 months into the Anomaly Arc, (and that's
> >with 2 titles), and the creaters don't even know how they are going to
> >be allowed to finish the story. I'm sorry, but that is just pitiful.
>
> Actually, we wrote the final chapters of the anomaly story weeks and weeks ago.
> It's old news to us. Three issues of LSH have been written since.

Ok, but.... did you do it the way you originally planned? Or did you
have to change direction mid-stream to accomodate the new editor? And
if you changed the original resolution, did you leave it open to do what
you originally wanted at a later date when a new editor comes on board?

Mr Reaus

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

SDelMonte wrote:

> >The mysterious ending of the introductory anomaly story in LSH #100 (which
> >sees a voice or voices saying "Now man shall join woman." "Both here"
> >"Where everything begins" "Now creation may begin anew" "This time it
> >shall be right") might be followed up on. But that depends on editor Mike
> >McAvennie's approval of the originally planned direction for that ending.
> >There's no rush to carry their ideas out, even if the creators have to wait
> >for another editor.
>
> In other words, they bring back Paul Levitz, who plants some great seeds for
> the future, and the new editor doesn't recognize legendary talent when he sees
> it. This is not good.

Too true, and to think I had such high hopes when they brought Mike in,
but it's quickly becoming obvious that he just may leave a little bit to
be desired!

Hopefully, he'll wake up and stop meddling in an ongoing story arc. If
he has plans, fine, but let the current story finish up first, then do
your worst.

TPeyer

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

Mr Reaus <MrR...@nospam.aol.com wrote:

TPeyer wrote:

>> From: Mr Reaus <MrR...@nospam.aol.com>
>>
>> >We are 6 months into the Anomaly Arc, (and that's
>> >with 2 titles), and the creaters don't even know how they are going to
>> >be allowed to finish the story. I'm sorry, but that is just pitiful.
>>
>> Actually, we wrote the final chapters of the anomaly story weeks and weeks
ago.
>> It's old news to us. Three issues of LSH have been written since.

>Ok, but.... did you do it the way you originally planned? Or did you
>have to change direction mid-stream to accomodate the new editor?

We wrote it the way we planned.

T.

Mr Reaus

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

TPeyer wrote:

> >Ok, but.... did you do it the way you originally planned? Or did you
> >have to change direction mid-stream to accomodate the new editor?
>
> We wrote it the way we planned.

Now that is good news indeed!

Dan McEwen

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

On 24 May 1998 18:07:58 GMT, tpe...@aol.com (TPeyer) wrote:

>Mr Reaus <MrR...@nospam.aol.com wrote:
>
>TPeyer wrote:
>>>
>>> From: Mr Reaus <MrR...@nospam.aol.com>

>>> Actually, we wrote the final chapters of the anomaly story weeks and weeks
>ago.
>>> It's old news to us. Three issues of LSH have been written since.
>

>>Ok, but.... did you do it the way you originally planned? Or did you
>>have to change direction mid-stream to accomodate the new editor?
>
>We wrote it the way we planned.

That's good news. I find that stories tend to turn out better when a
new direction isn't injected into them by editorial changes. Now, I
expect some change in momentum for the book, but not for a story
already in motion.

Dan
fe...@lsh.org
http://home.att.net/~djmcewen/personal.html

Murray Fox

May 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/24/98

Mr Reaus wrote (well, he didn't write the following paragraph, but he wrote the one
after it):

> > In other words, they bring back Paul Levitz, who plants some great seeds for
> > the future, and the new editor doesn't recognize legendary talent when he sees
> > it. This is not good.
> >

> Too true, and to think I had such high hopes when they brought Mike in,

You had high hopes when they brought in Mike McAvenie? I'd be curious to learn
why. After his horrible letter columns (when he was assistant editor) where he
continually demonstrated his lack of knowledge of Legion history and an even worse
attitude towards the fans that wrote letters, I expected only the worst from him.

> but it's quickly becoming obvious that he just may leave a little bit to
> be desired!

Only a little?

But I'm being snarky. To be honest, he hasn't disappointed me as much as I feared
he might.

> Hopefully, he'll wake up and stop meddling in an ongoing story arc. If
> he has plans, fine, but let the current story finish up first, then do
> your worst.

Which is what I fear we might get. Again, though I'm being snarky. I'm willing to
give his shorter stories and more action approach to the Legion a try. But I
certainly wouldn't be disappointed if DC decided to hand the book off to another
editor that might appreciate the team a little more.

murr

Mr Reaus

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

That still leaves me with at least one question though. Why did Tom and
Jeff say, during last Thursday's chat that they had no idea as to
whether or not they would be allowed to finish the story the way they
originally planned?

I'm SO confused!

Mr Reaus

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

Murray Fox wrote:

> Mr Reaus wrote
> >
> > Too true, and to think I had such high hopes when they brought Mike in,
>
> You had high hopes when they brought in Mike McAvenie? I'd be curious to learn
> why.

I guess his up tempo attitude towards the type of stories suckered me
in. He was going to streamline things, concentrate on action and shorter
storylines. And he promised he was going to get us annuals again!

Granted, we haven't seen the final culmination of his vision, but it
looks less promising now than it did some months ago when he first got
the job. He seems more interested in mettling to prove that he's the
boss, than he does in making sure that the books are as good as can be!
(of course that's just my opinion, and not the gospel!)

> After his horrible letter columns (when he was assistant editor)...

in all honesty, I don't read the letter columns nearly as often as I
used to. ...come to think of it, the Legion isn't my absolute must-read
comic anymore either. And that saddens me, because I haven't missed an
issue since Reflecto was unmasked. (the profem story nearly took care of
that though)

> ...where he

> continually demonstrated his lack of knowledge of Legion history and an even worse
> attitude towards the fans that wrote letters, I expected only the worst from him.

Ok!! You win, I was wrong!!
Where the heck is Karen Berger when you need her! ;-)

Murray Fox

May 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/25/98

Mr Reaus wrote:

> I guess his up tempo attitude towards the type of stories suckered me
> in. He was going to streamline things, concentrate on action and shorter
> storylines. And he promised he was going to get us annuals again!

All of which could be good things. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get to see
annuals again. And I wouldn't be opposed to action and shorter story arcs if we got to
have characterization thrown in with some good slowly building subplots

> in all honesty, I don't read the letter columns nearly as often as I
> used to. ...

I miss the letter columns, too. It is a rare read when teh letter column isn't
anything more than a huge pep rally for a book. Starman is an good example of a letter
column done righht. It's got personality, it's got positives and negatives... it makes
you think. I remember when the Leigon letter columns used to be like that, and I miss
them.

> Ok!! You win, I was wrong!!
> Where the heck is Karen Berger when you need her! ;-)

Whee hee! Another convert! I'd love to see Ms. Berger back on the book. Sadly, I
fear she's probably quite happy being the queen of vertigo land. Which is wonderful
for all the vertically reading folks.

murr

The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel

May 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/26/98

It was a dark and stormy 22 May 1998 06:09:01 -0700. Suddenly, Alex
Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> posted:

> The creators might investigate next year whether Val and Sensor could have a mutual romantic interest.

So Val is the gay Legionnaire?

Keith Trotter

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

Mr Reaus wrote:

> Murray Fox wrote:

> > After his horrible letter columns (when he was assistant editor)...
>

> in all honesty, I don't read the letter columns nearly as often as I

> used to. ...come to think of it, the Legion isn't my absolute must-read
> comic anymore either.

Unfortunately I agree (and it saddens me too). The LSH letter columns
towards the end of the Levitz run and beyond to the TMK era were a
_great_ read. As well as the well-informed letters and intellegent
and, my favourite, the bits of Legion business which seemed to provide
more info and entertainment than a years worth of the current lettercol.
Let's face it they seem to give more space over to the header nowadays
than to the letters themselves!

I've also not sat down and read an issue of the Legion 'properly' since
L*51. Just to make that clearer I don't mean that I can no longer read
but that instead of spending about half an hour on a comic to take in
every detail as I do with my favourites its gone to the level of
skim-reading to be read later when I get round to it. I've now got over
a year's worth of LSH comics to get to (as I couldn't stop buying them)
when they always used to be read on the weekend i bought them.

Sad really.

Instead of being purely critical - off the top of my head, these are
some things that would make me more enthusiastic about the Legion
again:-

the re-establishment of the older-style lcol as mentioned above

less 'rehashing' and more original villains and storylines not
explicitly echoing the past

a period where the Legion was split into smaller teams and we focussed
on their adventures _in turn_ . Levitz had a real knack for this (the
exile storyline when Imra, T Wolf, Cham and Vi were stranded on a frozen
asteroid after a Khund mission (I think) was a great example) and it
allowed for greater character interaction

As much as a year where nobody dies/has their personality altered/quits
and we simply explore the dynamics that have been built up since the
reboot but (let's face it) scarcely built upon.

Keith
¬¬¬¬¬

Keith Trotter

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

Mr Reaus wrote:

> That is exactly how Tom and Jeff answered the question. When Mike came
> onto the books, they told him about the direction they were going with
> that story arc. Mike took a deep breath (Tom's wording, not mine) and
> basically said "We'll see" (paraphrasing now, as I don't remember his
> exact wording)
>
> They have absolutely no idea how Mike is going to let them wrap up this
> storyline. Tom did say that it was something that there was no rush on.
> And that it could easily wait until a new editor came on board. So,
> this story arc, may just disappear to the back burner for a long time.
>
> That, to me, is a bad sign. The writers have stories in progress that
> may have to wait on a new editor? It doesn't sound like they are getting
> along very well. At the very least, there is a conflict on which
> direction they want to go. This doesn't seem to bode well for the next
> few months of the Legion. I really hope that they can iron out the
> diffences in their visions of the Legion so that the flow, pacing and
> consistency that is missing now, will return.

It sure is worrying. It also reimnds me (chillingly) of the scenario I
recently read about Marv Wolfman's last few years on the Titans, the
conflict he had with the then-editor during the wrap-up of the Titan's
Hunt plotline and how this badly effected the flow of the book.

I'd hate to see the LSH go downhill as the Titans did during such
circumstances.

'Course we could all be being incredibly alarmist for no reason

Keith
¬¬¬¬¬
Finding it incredible that a plot written by Levitz for a special
anniversary issue can be so dismissively cast aside or altered - talk
about disrespect!

Murray Fox

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

Keith Trotter wrote:

> It sure is worrying. It also reimnds me (chillingly) of the scenario I
> recently read about Marv Wolfman's last few years on the Titans, the
> conflict he had with the then-editor during the wrap-up of the Titan's
> Hunt plotline and how this badly effected the flow of the book.

Okay, it's slightly off topic (well probably more than slightly), but I just
finished re-reading my titans collection and I would love to hear the details
of Wolfman's thoughts on the titans hunt and his problems with the editor.
You coudl reply to me personally at my e-mail address rather than taking up
Leigon space if you'd like.

Murr
mur...@kw.igs.net

Murray Fox

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

Keith Trotter wrote:

> Unfortunately I agree (and it saddens me too). The LSH letter columns
> towards the end of the Levitz run and beyond to the TMK era were a
> _great_ read. As well as the well-informed letters and intellegent
> and, my favourite, the bits of Legion business which seemed to provide
> more info and entertainment than a years worth of the current lettercol.

I miss all of that, too. The Levitz letter columns were very much like
correspondance between the fans and Paul. We had his personal opinion about
whatever folks happened to write in about. That's what I liked most. Paul
gave the columns a personality that encouraged conversation and demonstrated
his enjoyment of the team and it's history.

We didn't have to read recaps of issues (I mean, really! What's the point
in that. If you're reading the letter column then it's probably likely
you've read the issue in question. Recapping that issue is just a waste of
space... Reviews are an entirely different thing and happen far too
infrequently in the Letter columns these days) and we had a balance of
opinions if a particular storyline so warranted. Where were the negative
comments about the 20th century storyline. And why aren't there more
anti-Lori comments? And we didn't have to have so much of the column
devoted to ads for upcoming issues. Sometimes you could squeeze two or
three letters into the place reserved for upcoming blurbs.

> I've also not sat down and read an issue of the Legion 'properly' since
> L*51. Just to make that clearer I don't mean that I can no longer read
> but that instead of spending about half an hour on a comic to take in
> every detail as I do with my favourites its gone to the level of
> skim-reading to be read later when I get round to it. I've now got over
> a year's worth of LSH comics to get to (as I couldn't stop buying them)
> when they always used to be read on the weekend i bought them.

I still quite enjoy the stories. But not the way I enjoyed the previous
eras.

> Instead of being purely critical - off the top of my head, these are
> some things that would make me more enthusiastic about the Legion
> again:

> the re-establishment of the older-style lcol as mentioned above

here here! or is that hear hear!

> less 'rehashing' and more original villains and storylines not
> explicitly echoing the past

I agree. Although this is a difficult line to walk. The creative teams
just can't win this debate. If they leave the rehashing behind, I fear
they'll get slammed for not respecting the history of the team, whereas if
all they do is find clever ways to retell old storylines, fans can't help
but compare them to the original tales. Personally I'd like to see this new
Legion move into their own future and rely less on preboot stuff as they
carve out their own niche. But like I said, it's difficult to find the
necessary balance. I mean, the Legends of the Legion issue that looked at
Umbra could be seen as an example of moving into the future and leaving the
preboot characterization aside. And I was one of the loudest complainers
about that story (of course, there were many weaknesses to choose from in
that tale...).

> As much as a year where nobody dies/has their personality altered/quits
> and we simply explore the dynamics that have been built up since the
> reboot but (let's face it) scarcely built upon.

I coudln't agree more! I fear that there have been some opportunities to
tell wonderful stories lost simply because each issue brings us a new change
a new personality a new revelation withou;t taking the time to really
explore those changes.

murr

prof...@worldnet.att.net

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

As a long-time Titans fan, I'm also curious about this.

Perry L. Holley
knig...@juno.com