LSH: AOL Chat for 3/13/97 with McCraw & Moy

1 view

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) and Jeff Moy (L*
penciller) were the guests on America Online's Legionnaires Chat
for Thursday, March 13, 1997.

Legion of Super-Heroes Chat is held every Tuesday in the DC
Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 p.m. EST. Legionnaires Chat is
held every Thursday in the same area at 10:00 p.m. EST.
(Keyword: DC CHAT.) Regular guests include Tom Peyer, Tom
McCraw, Roger Stern, Mark Waid, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd, KC Carlson
and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER - Information presented herein is not guaranteed to be
reliable. Stripped to their essentials, the Legion chats involve
approximately 25 fans shouting repeated questions at the
creators. The creators don't have time to thoroughly answer
questions and sometimes are unable to respond to clarification
questions.

SPOILERS - Information that tends to spoil current or upcoming
issues is located toward the end of this report. No spoiler
space separates such spoiler information.

SUBSCRIPTIONS - If you'd like to subscribe to these chat reports,
send an e-mail to "majo...@mlists.com" with the message
"subscribe lsh-chats". To unsubscribe, send the message
"unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

GRAPHICS - If you want to subscribe to Lev Kalman's weekly
humorous LSH pic, send the message "subscribe lev-pics" in the
body of an e-mail to "majo...@mlists.com". You'll receive a
MIME-encoded pic in your virtual mailbox every week.

===============

Jeff suggested that fans wanting LSH merchandise should let their
retailers know that they're interested.

In deciding which pages to sell, Jeff usually keeps the roll call
pages. Fans can e-mail him to reserve pages.

Jeff noted that his first work on the Legion was L* #15.
However, his work on LSH Annual #5 hit the stands first.

Tom indicated that the 20th century Legionnaires want to return
to their friends and family in the 30th century.

Tom observed that Dragonmage is not a Legionnaire for now, "but
you never know."

Mysa originally used Kinetix in an attempt to gain control over
the Emerald Eye.

Tom thinks Sensor is turning out to be an interesting
Legionnaire.

Tom wants to use the Wanderers, but KC won't let him so far. Tom
indicated that he liked the Heroes of Lallor slightly more than
the Wanderers because he thought Gas Girl was cool looking.

Tom and Roger Stern worked hard on the Mordru story line, and Tom
is happy with it. He thought fans would be happy with the payoff
in L* #50. In writing the story, they came up with a basic
outline of Mordru's history. Some of the outline will be seen by
L* #50.

Jeff stated that Adam Hughes provided the cover for L* #50 and
Alan Davis and Mark Farmer provided the interior poster.

Tom observed that there was no connection between Mordru and
Gemworld for now.

Jeff designed Mordru's new look and accepts the blame for the
absence of a hat.

Jeff stated that Mordru was not supposed to look real old and
that he doesn't really age. Mordru has magic to keep him looking
young.

When asked why there was only one tongue in L* #48, Jeff replied
that he tries to keep them somewhat rare. He doesn't want the
fans to get sick of them.

Jeff's rendition of XS in the roll call for L* #48 was patched up
after he pencilled it. She looked more like a cat in his
version. He observed that his intent was to homage Japanese art,
but others did not think it would make sense. Jeff further
observed that the picture makes even less sense after the patch.

Jeff indicated that M'Onel was supposed to be mimicking Dracula
in the L* #48 roll call.

When asked if Mordru was looking for Kono on Sklar, Tom indicated
that Mordru was looking for someone else.

Jeff didn't know who had a grudge against the Sklarians, but he
did not. He pointed out that it was a planet full of women.

Tom indicated that he had the origins of the Sklarian Raiders in
mind when the creators decided to let Mordru blow up Sklar.

Jeff stated that the design for Kinetix's tattoo was merely
something that he doodled while working on designs. More about
the tattoo will be explained in L* #49.

Discussing IMPULSE #25, Tom joked that vomiting was XS' super-
secret power. He noted that she kept it a secret so that she
didn't make Tenzil Kem jealous.

Tom noted that Mark Waid has control over the Thawne family in
IMPULSE.

Tom observed that the creative team has not decided who will
survive the upcoming meeting with Computo yet. Tom indicated
that Triad will be safe only if he's able to keep Tom Peyer under
control. Tom promised to do his best to protect Triad.

Tom noted that the creators have one or two possible plans to
introduce a character with ties to the 20th century DCU. He
noted that fans may notice one of the ties when they see the
poster for L* #50.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"Yam eht Ecrof eb htiw uoy!"

David Van Domelen

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

In article <334236c9....@news.goodnet.com>,
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
[Spoiler space]

>Jeff's rendition of XS in the roll call for L* #48 was patched up
>after he pencilled it. She looked more like a cat in his
>version. He observed that his intent was to homage Japanese art,
>but others did not think it would make sense. Jeff further
>observed that the picture makes even less sense after the patch.

Well, even after the patch, I got it. But then again, I've been reading
Reality Check, so I picked up on the hand positioning right away.

>Jeff indicated that M'Onel was supposed to be mimicking Dracula
>in the L* #48 roll call.

I kinda thought it looked more like the "Not Bela" from Plan 9 From
Outer Space. }->

>When asked if Mordru was looking for Kono on Sklar, Tom indicated
>that Mordru was looking for someone else.

Yeah, Kono'd be more than he can handle.

>Jeff didn't know who had a grudge against the Sklarians, but he
>did not. He pointed out that it was a planet full of women.

I'd think they've got males too, or there'd be no reason for any of them
to find Mordru hunky. They just don't let the men out without a leash or
something.

Dave Van Domelen, flashing back on Henrietta Catspaw, "Meow meow meow
beefcake meow yum!"

Matthew R. Sheahan

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. (tro...@indirect.com) wrote:
> Jeff's rendition of XS in the roll call for L* #48 was patched up
> after he pencilled it. She looked more like a cat in his
> version. He observed that his intent was to homage Japanese art,
> but others did not think it would make sense. Jeff further
> observed that the picture makes even less sense after the patch.

regardless of the fact that it made no sense at all, it was terribly
cute, and i think it would've been annoying if she'd been altered to
look more cat-like.

chiaroscuro

Jacob W Michaels

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. (tro...@indirect.com) wrote:
>Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) and Jeff Moy (L*
>penciller) were the guests on America Online's Legionnaires Chat
>for Thursday, March 13, 1997.

>Tom indicated that the 20th century Legionnaires want to return
>to their friends and family in the 30th century.

That pretty much makes it unanimous, no?

Jacob

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

SUDDENLY, JWMI...@austen.oit.umass.edu (Jacob W Michaels), wrote:
> T. Troy McNemar, Esq. (tro...@indirect.com) wrote:

> >Tom indicated that the 20th century Legionnaires want to return
> >to their friends and family in the 30th century.
>

> That pretty much makes it unanimous, no?

I think it's fair to say that everyone wants Team 20 back in the 30th
century except the creators. ;-)

Carl Fink

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

In article <333a9074...@news.goodnet.com>,

tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

>I think it's fair to say that everyone wants Team 20 back in the 30th
>century except the creators. ;-)

I know it's futile to say this, but I'm compulsive:

EVERY TIME YOU BUY LSH, YOU'RE TELLING THE CREATORS
THAT YOU LIKE THE CURRENT STORYLINE.

You want to send a message? Stop buying the book, period. DC will
ignore everything else . . . quite properly, by some lights.
--
Carl Fink ca...@panix.com
". . . my purpose is not to examine all the possibilities. My purpose is to

julio

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

In article <333aeeb3...@news.goodnet.com>, tro...@indirect.com (T.
Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

> SUDDENLY, ca...@panix.com (Carl Fink), wrote:
> > I know it's futile to say this, but I'm compulsive:
> >
> > EVERY TIME YOU BUY LSH, YOU'RE TELLING THE CREATORS
> > THAT YOU LIKE THE CURRENT STORYLINE.
> >
> > You want to send a message? Stop buying the book, period. DC will
> > ignore everything else . . . quite properly, by some lights.
>

> I'm rather looking forward to issues #93 through #95. And LSH #92 was my
> favorite of this week, but mostly because I wasn't too impressed with any
> of the 13 books that I bought this week.

Actually, I liked LSH #92 better than I have liked any other single issue
story to date. (I also liked the only other book I bought this week, "Oh
My Goddess!"--but I digress.)

> My problem with the 20th century story prior to LSH #90 is that it didn't
> seem to have much momentum. Starting with LSH #90, I've become satisfied
> with the momentum towards returning them to the 30th century.

I'm not in a hurry to get back to the 30th century (perhaps because I want
to enjoy seeing Rokk and Imra together for a little while longer ;-)). I
just want well-written, well thought-out stories that make some sense and
actually go somewhere.

One nice thing about LSH #92 is that it makes it quite clear that there is
someone behind (at least some) of the Legion's time-travel woes. It's not
just randomly bouncing around in the timestream anymore. Like you, I'm
finally under the impression that there is a story waiting to be told
here, and looking forward to the telling.

> For me, the real problem with the 20th century storyline is that they
> padded the front end and included the Legion in some really lame
> crossovers. Seemingly, most of those problems are behind us.

That was a big problem, certainly. Another one, IMHO, is that, after a
promising start, the "stranger in a strange land" angle was reduced to
Brainy repeatedly whining about the primitive 20th century technology.
They should have made much more of the culture shock, as Chris Claremont
tried to do in the S7 crossover.

Julio
(switching back to lurking mode)

Randy Lander

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

>SUDDENLY, JWMI...@austen.oit.umass.edu (Jacob W Michaels), wrote:
>> T. Troy McNemar, Esq. (tro...@indirect.com) wrote:

>> >Tom indicated that the 20th century Legionnaires want to return
>> >to their friends and family in the 30th century.
>>

>> That pretty much makes it unanimous, no?

>I think it's fair to say that everyone wants Team 20 back in the 30th

>century except the creators. ;-)

And marketing. Don't forget marketing. :)

rwla...@io.com<*>
My Home Page:http://www.io.com/~rwlander
This Post contains the opinions of one Randy Lander.
Had it been the biblical truth, your bushes would be
on fire.

sdel...@aol.com

Mar 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/28/97

In article <333a9074...@news.goodnet.com>, tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) writes:

>I think it's fair to say that everyone wants Team 20 back in the 30th
>century except the creators. ;-)

And DC's Marketing Department.

Simon DelMonte
"Gloating is overrated. I prefer living well." - James Wyler, "Murder One"

sdel...@aol.com

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

In article <333aeeb3...@news.goodnet.com>, tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) writes:

>For me, the real problem with the 20th century storyline is that they
>padded the front end and included the Legion in some really lame
>crossovers. Seemingly, most of those problems are behind us.

Alas, the Metal Men are coming by. And I'm not a fan of what Carlin did to them, as it is.

Simon DelMonte
"If I'd known that a common enemy could bring us together,
I would have invented one years ago." - Lex Luthor

sdel...@aol.com

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

In article <eQcOzgen...@panix.com>, ca...@panix.com (Carl Fink) writes:

>I know it's futile to say this, but I'm compulsive:
>
> EVERY TIME YOU BUY LSH, YOU'RE TELLING THE CREATORS
> THAT YOU LIKE THE CURRENT STORYLINE.
>
>You want to send a message? Stop buying the book, period. DC will
>ignore everything else . . . quite properly, by some lights.

>--

No, I'm telling them that I like the current comic book, which includes the characters, the scripts, the art, and the world the characters inhabit, and that I'm willing to tolerate a weak storyline
for a while. I've done that many times, most notably with the Super-titles (many times) and with even the early Waid issues of The Flash.

Carl Fink

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

In article <19970330010...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
sdel...@aol.com wrote:

>No, I'm telling them that I like the current comic book, which includes the characters, the scripts, the art, and the world the characters inhabit, and that I'm willing to tolerate a weak storyline
>for a while. I've done that many times, most notably with the Super-titles (many times) and with even the early Waid issues of The Flash.

Simon, please watch the line length. Thanks.

Actually, I understand your point. However:

1)"A while" is *two years*?

2)I disagree in principle with deliberately buying
stories you don't like, in the hope of seeing better ones.
It's that attitude that let TMK go on so long.

Dwight Williams

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

Carl Fink (ca...@panix.com) writes:
> In article <19970330010...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> sdel...@aol.com wrote:
>
>>No, I'm telling them that I like the current comic book, which includes the characters, the scripts, the art, and the world the characters inhabit, and that I'm willing to tolerate a weak storyline
>>for a while. I've done that many times, most notably with the Super-titles (many times) and with even the early Waid issues of The Flash.
>
> Simon, please watch the line length. Thanks.
>
> Actually, I understand your point. However:
>
> 1)"A while" is *two years*?
>
> 2)I disagree in principle with deliberately buying
> stories you don't like, in the hope of seeing better ones.
> It's that attitude that let TMK go on so long.

That attitude and another one held by others: that TMK's work _was_ worth
supporting. I hold the latter of the two.

Just a reminder...
--
Dwight Williams(ad...@freenet.carleton.ca) -- Orleans, Ontario, Canada

Don Brinker's Massively Overworked Evil Twin

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

>SUDDENLY, ca...@panix.com (Carl Fink), wrote:

>> tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

>>> I think it's fair to say that everyone wants Team 20 back in the 30th
>>> century except the creators. ;-)
>>

>> I know it's futile to say this, but I'm compulsive:
>>
>> EVERY TIME YOU BUY LSH, YOU'RE TELLING THE CREATORS
>> THAT YOU LIKE THE CURRENT STORYLINE.
>>
>> You want to send a message? Stop buying the book, period. DC will
>> ignore everything else . . . quite properly, by some lights.

Out of curiosity, though, am I the only one who worries that a drop in
sales would cause LSH to be cancelled instead of prompting the end of
the storyline?

>I'm rather looking forward to issues #93 through #95. And LSH #92 was my
>favorite of this week, but mostly because I wasn't too impressed with any
>of the 13 books that I bought this week.

Personally, I found the same problem with LSH 92 as I have with most
of the Team 20 story:

Nothing happened. We finished the story at the same place we started,
with no real progression of the main arc except for one line from
Gates.

And I mean, even in books like Cerebus (of even L* between the Eye
Storyline and Mordru) which often take a long time for things to
happen, it *feels* like something's happening. Even now, I feel like
they're just marking time. It's almost like they decided to reunite
the teams in LSH 100 and have been scrambling to come up with stories
until then...

- Don

Elmo the Merely Beatified

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

dbri...@earthlink.net (Don Brinker's Massively Overworked Evil Twin) writes:
> Out of curiosity, though, am I the only one who worries that a drop in
> sales would cause LSH to be cancelled instead of prompting the end of
> the storyline?

Not if everyone who drops also writes a letter saying why they dropped
and what it would take to get them back.

A paper letter, mind you. E-mail is considered only slightly more
credible than notes written on used kleenex slipped under the editor's
hotel room door at major cons.
--
"Being afraid of monolithic organizations especially when they have
computers, is like being afraid of really big gorillas especially when

elmo mor...@physics.rice.edu
http://www.bonner.rice.edu/morrow

Jacob W Michaels

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Elmo the Merely Beatified (mor...@riph5.rice.edu) wrote:
>dbri...@earthlink.net (Don Brinker's Massively Overworked Evil Twin) writes:
>> Out of curiosity, though, am I the only one who worries that a drop in
>> sales would cause LSH to be cancelled instead of prompting the end of
>> the storyline?

>Not if everyone who drops also writes a letter saying why they dropped
>and what it would take to get them back.

>A paper letter, mind you. E-mail is considered only slightly more
>credible than notes written on used kleenex slipped under the editor's
>hotel room door at major cons.

Is *that* why my letters never get published?

Jacob Wondering if paper towels would work better