LSH: AOL Chats for 6/01/99 & 6/03/99: McCraw & Moy

1 view

Alex Tam

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
Jeff Moy (L* penciller) was the guest on America Online's Legion of
Super-Heroes Chat for Tuesday, June 1, 1999. Jeff and Tom McCraw (LSH/L*
co-plotter/colorist) attended Legionnaires Chat for Thursday, June 3, 1999.
Legion of Super-Heroes Chat takes place every Tuesday in the DC Comics
Online area of AOL at 6:00 PM EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every
Thursday in the same area at 10:00 PM EST. (Keyword: CHAT DC.) Regular
guests include Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report. Essentially,
the Legion chats involve about fifteen fans shouting repeated questions to
the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations may
occur on my part.

SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
info from the more general comments.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: To subscribe to these chat reports, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lsh-chats". To
unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

PLUGS: To browse this fan's STARMAN website, visit
http://users.aol.com/nachro2/starhome.htm

For all your LSH online needs, check out the Legion of Super-Resources at
http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm

A BIG THANKS: To James Schee for logging Tuesday's chat.

:=========================:

Jeff recently finished his second-to-last issue, the beach story in L* #77,
and found it his slowest to date. He will probably do the cover art for
#77 and #78.

Jeff's projects for Wildstorm include a DV8 story, and if his art samples
get approved, a STAR TREK: VOYAGER special.

There were once plans to revive the Legion Academy, but Tom doesn't believe
that'll happen now.

Tom hadn't heard if the Legion's new direction would involve a 12-part epic
running through both books.

We'll see "new ways of looking at Imra" in L* #74- "just some interesting
camera angles," according to Jeff.

Jeff designed "two or three swimsuits" for Kinetix to wear in L* #77.

When Wildfire shows up in L* #76, he'll just have a simple suit, not the
orange uniform yet. Jeff is sure that the new artists will modify the suit
to look more familiar.

-- Alex Tam
gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

John Northey

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
On 8 Jun 1999 00:51:36 GMT, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:
>Jeff's projects for Wildstorm include a DV8 story, and if his art samples
>get approved, a STAR TREK: VOYAGER special.

I saw some of his samples for ST:Voyager at the Motor City Con a few
weeks ago. I didn't expect him to be able to do it as he seems best
at drawing younger people, but his women looked great. Janeway,
Belana and Seven were dead on. His men need work though, which should
come as no shock as Jeff tends to, well, observe women more than he
observes men 8) Still, it looks like he can do a much better job on
it than I'd have guessed. If he gets the job then I guess I'll have
to buy a comic dedicated to ST:V. At least the art will be good.

John Northey.
Crazy Canadian and creator of the Fans of Teri Sue Wood site.
http://www.sentex.net/~jnorthey/TSW

ti...@my-deja.com

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
In article <3.0.1.32.1999060...@pop.intergate.bc.ca>,
Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

Spoilers? Dunno, but there's your space, just in case. :-)

> There were once plans to revive the Legion Academy, but Tom doesn't
> believe that'll happen now.

Am I sorry? Not really, I'd like to see some of the characters from the
Academy show up at some point, but not necessarily the institution
itself. :-)

> Tom hadn't heard if the Legion's new direction would involve a
> 12-part epic running through both books.

And the other speculated events, such as characters leaving? :-o

> We'll see "new ways of looking at Imra" in L* #74- "just some
> interesting camera angles," according to Jeff.

Well, there's the 'I'm a stressed, grouchy leader' angle, the 'I'm
guilty of making my boyfriend a meat puppet because I'm indecisive'
angle, the 'I've sent my current beau into deep space because I'm
supposedly better but *still* indecisive' angle, I can't wait to see
what else they come up with. ;-D LOL!

> Jeff designed "two or three swimsuits" for Kinetix to wear in L* #77.

My God, he's been modest, hasn't he? Kinetix, in her phase as the
spirit of moderation. ;-D Really though, between her and Monstress, the
modelling should be fast and furious on the beach. ;-D I wonder if
Ferro would like to contribute? Now there's a grand next project for
Zoe, now that Vi's too perfect to need friendly companionship any
longer. ;-) The clothes horse and the costume designer. ;-D Look out
Broadway!

> When Wildfire shows up in L* #76, he'll just have a simple suit, not
> the orange uniform yet. Jeff is sure that the new artists will modify
> the suit to look more familiar.

Gak. So this means the next team intends to keep him on? And give him
the tacky orange suit with the hip *fin* thing on his head and the
winged *star* on his chest?!

You mean they're theoretically going to dump established, proven
characters like Lyle and Cos for a sack of energy that was formerly,
post-boot, two lack-lustre heroes?

Excuse me. Hello. I was never a Wildfire fan, I'll be the first to
admit, but isn't this replacing two interesting, dare I say dynamic
characters for a bag of energy that's going to spend only *forever*
alternatively angsting and grousing about how he's only ever going to
be a sack of energy and can't land the girl of his dreams in any
meaningful sort of way? I think his potential got wrung out preboot.
Here's to Wildfire having a *very* finite lifespan. :-1

And yes, I know that the Wildfire defenders will now descend upon me
like locusts. But guys, c'mon! It's *Wildfire*! I'm betting his first
appearance with a speaking role will have such gems as "I-I can't
*believe* my body's just *gone* like that!" "I can't *touch* anything!"
"I'm just a pile of energy in a *suit*!" "Without this *suit* I-I'm
helpless!" This is not a good character. Hell, put an energy beam in a
robot and call it Spanky, and I'll buy the darn comic sooner. ;-D If I
see that bag of anti-energy floatin' around regularly in the comic,
why, I'll have something besides Thunder to mock, I suppose. But
really, I could've taken Quislet before him again.

"I'll never be a *man* again! AAaaaAAAAargh!" LOL! :-D Let the beating
commence. ;-D

.hlp, who at least feels a little better now. :-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Steve Reed

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
HLP <ti...@my-deja.com> described Wildfire as ...

>[...] a bag of energy that's going to spend only *forever*

>alternatively angsting and grousing about how he's only ever going
>to be a sack of energy and can't land the girl of his dreams in any
>meaningful sort of way

and she is, of course, correct.

>I think his potential got wrung out preboot. [...] "I'll never be a *man*

>again! AAaaaAAAAargh!" LOL! :-D Let the beating commence. ;-D

Not at all, milady. In fact, that brings up how I'll have to "subcontract," so
to speak, one section of the Dawnstar Aerie -- now that I'm (sorta) back to
it, the Fans Write the Legion stories being off my virtual desk.

I can't stand Wildfire's long-ago angst, either, although re-reading it is
more of an annoyance than anything else. He being the main Object of Affection
for our Starhaven maiden, and vice versa, a page or two thereon is necessary
for the Aerie, but I don't know if I can take Mr. Burroughs for very long.

(My own candidate for making a match with Dawny was always Timber Wolf ...
more intelligent than the Legion ever -called upon him- to be; nearly as,
ahem, agile as she was; and sharing her sardonic wit. See v3 n28.)

The other subcontracting needed is, o'course, the *arrgh* "Bounty" years,
since I didn't and won't buy those issues from preboot v4. Mutilated women
just aren't my cup o'tea. TMK partisans are gladly solicited for same. (I can
detest some of what you like, it doesn't mean I'd detest -you- <g>)

--
Steve ... Grey...@LSH.org

Suggestions, art, and fan fiction
welcomed for The Dawnstar Aerie!
http://fly.to/dawnstar

numb...@my-deja.com

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99

> We'll see "new ways of looking at Imra" in L* #74- "just some
interesting
> camera angles," according to Jeff.
>

> Jeff designed "two or three swimsuits" for Kinetix to wear in L* #77.
>

> When Wildfire shows up in L* #76, he'll just have a simple suit, not
the
> orange uniform yet. Jeff is sure that the new artists will modify the
suit
> to look more familiar.

Check out the uniforms at:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/5966/silverheroines.html

Phantom Girl
Duo Damsel
Insect Queen

and more....

Not bad.

WildCard

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
In article <7ji1o0$996$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, <ti...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>Excuse me. Hello. I was never a Wildfire fan, I'll be the first to
>admit, but isn't this replacing two interesting, dare I say dynamic
>characters for a bag of energy that's going to spend only *forever*

>alternatively angsting and grousing about how he's only ever going to
>be a sack of energy and can't land the girl of his dreams in any
>meaningful sort of way? I think his potential got wrung out preboot.
>Here's to Wildfire having a *very* finite lifespan. :-1

WHAT?! That's blasphamy! I am hereby reactivating the local chapter
of the Wildfire Anti-Deformation Legue! We *will* defend Drake
Burroughs honor to our last comic book!

Meeting folks, in the usual place at the usual time. We need to take
care of this descenter! :)

Seriously, I liked Wildfire when he was first introduced, and I don't
think I ever lost my liking for him. For the record: I stopped
reading the Legion with the end of V3 (it's hard to get comics when
you're in the Navy on a ship at sea, so that made a good breaking
point for me), so if anything was done with Wildfire in V4, I don't
know the details. When I had to rebuild my Legion collection due to
a disaster, Superboy #195, S/LSH #201, and LSH #283 were the first
three comics I repurchased. Guess the fact that Wildfire was
introduced in the first Legion story I ever read had an influence on
me :) I await the reboot appearance eagerly.

Wayne
--
_ __ _ __ | I see the girls walk by dressed in
' ) / // / / ) / | their summer clothes, I have to turn

Johanna Draper Carlson

Jun 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/8/99
wild...@fnord.io.com (WildCard) wrote:

> I liked Wildfire when he was first introduced, and I don't
> think I ever lost my liking for him.

I just realized the other day that Wildfire kept me away from the Legion for
about 20 years. :)

(Full story: as a kid, my brother got a copy of #225, where the main story
is Superboy and Wildfire fighting about who gets to be leader. As my first
exposure to the Legion, it was less than compelling, especially since the
backup story features three of the heroes undercover and poorly identified
to the new reader. I promptly forgot the book and the team until I started
collecting with LSH v4 #38 and picked up the back issue years later.)

--
Johanna
Joha...@mindspring.com

plaidlad!

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99

<ti...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:7ji1o0$996$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> In article <3.0.1.32.1999060...@pop.intergate.bc.ca>,
> Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:
>
> Spoilers? Dunno, but there's your space, just in case. :-)

[wildfire and fashion sense..!]

> Gak. So this means the next team intends to keep him on? And give him
> the tacky orange suit with the hip *fin* thing on his head and the
> winged *star* on his chest?!

hey, i always thought his costume was cool.

uh... of course, this is coming from a guy named 'plaid lad.'

-plaid lad!-

Tavas81

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
>> When Wildfire shows up in L* #76, he'll just have a simple suit, not
>> the orange uniform yet. Jeff is sure that the new artists will modify
>> the suit to look more familiar.
>
>Gak. So this means the next team intends to keep him on? And give him
>the tacky orange suit with the hip *fin* thing on his head and the
>winged *star* on his chest?!

HEY!!! I *LIKE* the winged star! I don't really like the outfit from the
annual, though. It was a pretty weak way of giving him a Legion-style costume.
They could have at least given him a red stripe down the inner part of his
pants a la Star Boy. I've never been a Wildfire fan, either, although it's
kind of cool when the Legion's up against a powerful threat and Wildfire's
doing his daredevil thing. That aspect of his as the team's "secret weapon,"
the guy who winds up being the last one standing and has to make an all-out
last resort type of effort to stop them, has potential. The team dynamo.

-----------
LLL!
Brandon K. Slattery
Tav...@aol.com
M: "KARATE KID? You tried to KILL me"
K: "Yes. Yes I DID."
M: "Guess I owe you one."
K: "Any TIME."
(M'Onel and Karate Kid in LSH #111)

ti...@my-deja.com

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
In article <19990609131606...@ng-fz1.aol.com>,

tav...@aol.comgoaway (Tavas81) wrote:
> >> When Wildfire shows up in L* #76, he'll just have a simple suit,
> >> not the orange uniform yet. Jeff is sure that the new artists will
> >> modify the suit to look more familiar.
> >
> >Gak. So this means the next team intends to keep him on? And give him
> >the tacky orange suit with the hip *fin* thing on his head and the
> >winged *star* on his chest?!
>
> HEY!!! I *LIKE* the winged star!

}-> We all have our little foibles. LOL! ;-D

> I don't really like the outfit
> from the annual, though. It was a pretty weak way of giving him a
> Legion-style costume. They could have at least given him a red
> stripe down the inner part of his pants a la Star Boy.

I'd much prefer the yellow stripe down his bac-never mind. ;-D In the
LSH tradition, naturally. ;-D

> I've never
> been a Wildfire fan, either, although it's kind of cool when the
> Legion's up against a powerful threat and Wildfire's doing his
> daredevil thing.

AKA that time-honoured comic book rule, "I'm the hero and I'm an idiot
and our lives are all in danger, so I've got to come up with some
utterly insane action that will not only save us but will be lauded as
brilliant by everyone afterwards." Someone inevitably shouts "Wildfire
you *idiot*!" and Wildfire mouths off at them with some cocky phrase.
Yup, my hero! ;-p

> That aspect of his as the team's "secret weapon,"
> the guy who winds up being the last one standing and has to make an
> all-out last resort type of effort to stop them, has potential. The
> team dynamo.

LOL! I could live with him actually ending up being a dynamo, powering
the old 'clubhouse' or something like that. ;-D "What, that blob of
energy was *sentient*?! All these years, and we never knew. If only
anti-energy could talk...." ;-D

LOL! Take that, Wildfire Anti-Defamation League! ;-D

.hlp

Tavas81

Jun 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/9/99
>> I've never
>> been a Wildfire fan, either, although it's kind of cool when the
>> Legion's up against a powerful threat and Wildfire's doing his
>> daredevil thing.
>
>AKA that time-honoured comic book rule, "I'm the hero and I'm an idiot
>and our lives are all in danger, so I've got to come up with some
>utterly insane action that will not only save us but will be lauded as
>brilliant by everyone afterwards." Someone inevitably shouts "Wildfire
>you *idiot*!" and Wildfire mouths off at them with some cocky phrase.
>Yup, my hero! ;-p

Well if he's cocky and arrogant like preboot... well, then it's all over.
Anyway, Ferro pretty much fills the roll that I described. I mean, this kid
was ready to jump into the Sun-Eater with a bomb under his arm. We don't
really need to put up with Wildfire's schtick just so that we can see him open
his helmet and explode or whatever.

Cheryl Hanks

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Tavas81 wrote:

> >> I've never
> >> been a Wildfire fan, either, although it's kind of cool when the
> >> Legion's up against a powerful threat and Wildfire's doing his
> >> daredevil thing.
> >
> >AKA that time-honoured comic book rule, "I'm the hero and I'm an idiot
> >and our lives are all in danger, so I've got to come up with some
> >utterly insane action that will not only save us but will be lauded as
> >brilliant by everyone afterwards." Someone inevitably shouts "Wildfire
> >you *idiot*!" and Wildfire mouths off at them with some cocky phrase.
> >Yup, my hero! ;-p
> >
> Well if he's cocky and arrogant like preboot... well, then it's all over.
> Anyway, Ferro pretty much fills the roll that I described. I mean, this kid
> was ready to jump into the Sun-Eater with a bomb under his arm. We don't
> really need to put up with Wildfire's schtick just so that we can see him open
> his helmet and explode or whatever.

Um, post-boot Ferro was willing to do that because he felt that he had
nothing to live for and was utterly worthless, especially compared to
all these super-heroes around him, and that if he couldn't be worth
anything any other way he might as well die heroically. And, well,
that's not Wildfire. Besides, I would hope Ferro's made at least a
*little* emotional progress by now...

Carmen W.