LSH: AOL Chat for 3/10/98: McCraw & Moy

Alex Tam

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) and Jeff Moy (L* penciller) were
the guests on America Online's Legion of Super-Heroes Chat for Tuesday,
March 9, 1998. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat takes place every Tuesday in
the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 PM EST. Legionnaires Chat is held
every Thursday in the same area at 10:00 PM EST. (Keyword: CHAT DC.)
Regular guests include Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy, Jason Armstrong, Ron Boyd and
Mike McAvennie.

Thanks to T. Troy McNemar who originated the Legion Chat Reports; so much
of the format of these writeups was derived from his hard work.

DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report. Essentially,
the Legion chats involve about twenty-five fans shouting repeated questions
to the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations may
occur on my part.

SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
info from the more general comments.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: To subscribe to these chat reports, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lsh-chats". To
unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

PLUGS: To subscribe to Lev Kalman's humorous LSH pics, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lev-pics". You'll get a
new cartoon e-mailed to you about once every two weeks.

To browse this fan's STARMAN website, visit
http://users.aol.com/nachro2/starhome.htm

Finally, for all your LSH online needs, check out the Legion of
Super-Resources at http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm

SPECIAL THANKS: To Scott Bierworth for his assistance in logging tonight's
chat.

:=========================:

Jeff would like to see Supergirl and Streaky the supercat show up in the
30th century. But he doesn't care for Comet.

Jeff wouldn't mind the return of the Wanderers or Catspaw.

There are no specific plans for Chuck or Tenzil right now.

The Saturn symbol isn't worn by all telepaths, just the ones from Titan.

If Brainy stayed in the sun too long, he would get a darker green tone.

Tom noted that Legionnaires possess certain freedoms, such as being allowed
to search a scene without needing a warrant.

Jeff thinks Jenni will eventually find a boyfriend; he thinks she and Rokk
would make a cute couple.

Tom doesn't think Thom is related to the Starman of 1951, but he can't be
sure.

McCauley won't pursue Val for a breach of contract, since they never had one.

The United Planets isn't a democracy; it's just an association of about
seventy planets. Tom tells us to expect some changes in the organization
with the advent of the Dark Circle story. Winema will participate in the
events concerning the UP.

Brainy, Laurel, and Zoe might want to revert to their previous appearances,
after the anomaly changes them. Tom wasn't sure if they'd actually change
back. Brainy's hair will be shorter; until now he's been too lazy or busy
to get a trim. LSH #108 will reveal more about his changes. The away team
returns from the anomaly in LSH #104.

A map of the UP is a possible feature of the next LEGION SECRET FILES.
Since it's only in the rough planning stages, it won't be out until the
year's end. The creators don't know what the main story in it will be.

-- Alex Tam
gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Previously, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

>Thanks to T. Troy McNemar who originated the Legion Chat Reports; so much
>of the format of these writeups was derived from his hard work.

It wasn't like it was baling hay or anything.

>SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
>toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
>info from the more general comments.

>SPECIAL THANKS: To Scott Bierworth for his assistance in logging tonight's
>chat.

Yay Scott!

>:=========================:
>
>Jeff would like to see Supergirl and Streaky the supercat show up in the
>30th century.

Talk Tom into writing Crisis while he's coloring it!

>But he doesn't care for Comet.

Who does? Comet's a little weird. In the 1990's, we'd call him a stalker
and have him arrested.

>Jeff wouldn't mind the return of the Wanderers or Catspaw.

What? Jeff missed an opportunity to say "no plans"?

>There are no specific plans for Chuck or Tenzil right now.

"Just wander around aimlessly in the background, guys."

>The Saturn symbol isn't worn by all telepaths, just the ones from Titan.

What if it catches on as a fad thing? The mood ring of the late 2990's.

>If Brainy stayed in the sun too long, he would get a darker green tone.

And what about Umbra?

>Tom noted that Legionnaires possess certain freedoms, such as being allowed
>to search a scene without needing a warrant.

Omigod! Tom, you know better than this! Don't answer questions like this
during the AOL Chat! It's a trap!

All you LSH fans, repeat after me: "Chat Reports are not canonical. Chat
Reports are not canonical."

>Jeff thinks Jenni will eventually find a boyfriend; he thinks she and Rokk
>would make a cute couple.

Jenni should be the one to fall in love with a Hero of Lallor this boot.
it'd suit her.

>Tom doesn't think Thom is related to the Starman of 1951, but he can't be
>sure.

He could ask . . . .

>McCauley won't pursue Val for a breach of contract, since they never had one.

Repeat after me: "Chat Reports are not canonical. Chat Reports are not
canonical."

>The United Planets isn't a democracy; it's just an association of about
>seventy planets.

The United Planetary Confederacy?

>Tom tells us to expect some changes in the organization
>with the advent of the Dark Circle story.

Including a tendency for its ambassadors to wear brightly colored hats.

>Winema will participate in the events concerning the UP.

If you don't make her Grand Marshall of the parade, she's going to be
bitchy.

>Brainy, Laurel, and Zoe might want to revert to their previous appearances,
>after the anomaly changes them. Tom wasn't sure if they'd actually change
>back.

Nothing like knowing where a plot is going. :)

>Brainy's hair will be shorter; until now he's been too lazy or busy
>to get a trim.

. . . and he won't let Koko play with scissors.

>LSH #108 will reveal more about his changes.

Er, shouldn't it be revealed sooner?

Is LSH #108 before or after LSH #1,000,000?

>The away team returns from the anomaly in LSH #104.

Did they bring me anything?

>A map of the UP is a possible feature of the next LEGION SECRET FILES.

LEGION SECRET FILES #2 is going to be a 3D book?

>Since it's only in the rough planning stages, it won't be out until the
>year's end. The creators don't know what the main story in it will be.

Well, Golly, how about that Timber Wolf story you've been teasing us with?

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"Susej tsuj tfel Ogacihc, dna s'eh dnuob rof Wen Snaelro."

Ben Weiss

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. wrote:

> Previously, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

> >SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
> >toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
> >info from the more general comments.
>

> >:=========================:

> >Jeff wouldn't mind the return of the Wanderers or Catspaw.
>
> What? Jeff missed an opportunity to say "no plans"?

He was too busy salivating at the thought of drawing Catspaw.

> >The Saturn symbol isn't worn by all telepaths, just the ones from Titan.
>
> What if it catches on as a fad thing? The mood ring of the late 2990's.

Hey, that was *my* story idea! (Oops, but Troy's a lawyer too, so he'll
know I can't prove damages for copyright infringement. Darn. :)

> >McCauley won't pursue Val for a breach of contract, since they never had one.
>
> Repeat after me: "Chat Reports are not canonical. Chat Reports are not
> canonical."

But it said so in the comic, which is canonical...

> >Since it's only in the rough planning stages, it won't be out until the
> >year's end. The creators don't know what the main story in it will be.
>
> Well, Golly, how about that Timber Wolf story you've been teasing us with?

How about that Element Lad spotlight you seem to have forgotten about?
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

Leor Blumenthal

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

On 11 Mar 1998, Alex Tam wrote:

> Jeff would like to see Supergirl and Streaky the supercat show up in the

> 30th century. But he doesn't care for Comet.

Streaky the Supercat no longer exists in DC continuity. He has been
replaced by the diabolical Chakat the Demoncat, who was last seen in
Supergirl #2 beeing chased by some really big dogs. Chakat is interested
in the 30c, but he can't do much without Buzz's sayso. (Buzz is Linda
Danver's ex-boyfriend, and an agent of Chaos. Read Supergirl. Or else
Chakat will be upset.)

> Tom noted that Legionnaires possess certain freedoms, such as being allowed
> to search a scene without needing a warrant.

When Superboy asked the Legion about needing a warrant to search the
Scavenger's place they didn't seem to know what he was talking about.
Further evidence that the UP is the dictatorship Gates has claimed it is.

> Jeff thinks Jenni will eventually find a boyfriend; he thinks she and Rokk
> would make a cute couple.

So do I. I want to see an XS-Cosmic boy romance.

> Tom doesn't think Thom is related to the Starman of 1951, but he can't be
> sure.

Which Starman is that?

Why are the folks at DC trying to jump through hoops to make everything
that may have happened in kingdom come cannon? Starboy shouldn't be
related to Starman, unless there's a really good story that doesn't make
us run for our flame throwers.

> The United Planets isn't a democracy; it's just an association of about

> seventy planets. Tom tells us to expect some changes in the organization
> with the advent of the Dark Circle story. Winema will participate in the
> events concerning the UP.

"Aha! Just as I said! Come my socially enlightened brethen let us
oberthrow the.. ooh pretty Anonmoly.. klik-klik, klik-klik..."

> -- Alex Tam
> gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

Leor Blumenthal

Happy Purim Kinentix!

SDelMonte

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

In article <6e5cpi$9...@nntp02.primenet.com>, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca>
writes:

>Jeff would like to see Supergirl and Streaky the supercat show up in the
>30th century. But he doesn't care for Comet.

This would explain the condition of Jeff's sink.

>Jeff wouldn't mind the return of the Wanderers or Catspaw.

They call me the Wanderer. Now what about Runaround Sue?

>There are no specific plans for Chuck or Tenzil right now.

That's two more poeple I can invite for dinner. I think I'm up to eight now.

>The Saturn symbol isn't worn by all telepaths, just the ones from Titan.

Other telepaths wear a photo of Bester and a bad toupee.

>If Brainy stayed in the sun too long, he would get a darker green tone.

Or he would fry to death.

>Tom noted that Legionnaires possess certain freedoms, such as being allowed
>to search a scene without needing a warrant.

Freedoms? You mean, others do not possess certains rights, like the right to
demand a cop show a warrant.

>Jeff thinks Jenni will eventually find a boyfriend; he thinks she and Rokk
>would make a cute couple.

So do I, but doesn't that make it too predictable?

>Tom doesn't think Thom is related to the Starman of 1951, but he can't be
>sure.

Maybe we should call Burke's Superhero Peerage?

>McCauley won't pursue Val for a breach of contract, since they never had one.

I'm sure McCauley's lawyers will think of something, if they want to.

>The United Planets isn't a democracy; it's just an association of about
>seventy planets. Tom tells us to expect some changes in the organization
>with the advent of the Dark Circle story. Winema will participate in the
>events concerning the UP.

The UP is (AFAICT) equal to the UN - a paper tiger with a few powerhouse
planets.

>Brainy, Laurel, and Zoe might want to revert to their previous appearances,
>after the anomaly changes them. Tom wasn't sure if they'd actually change

>back. Brainy's hair will be shorter; until now he's been too lazy or busy
>to get a trim. LSH #108 will reveal more about his changes. The away team

>returns from the anomaly in LSH #104.

Brainy will actually shave his head and call himself Luthor V for a while.

>A map of the UP is a possible feature of the next LEGION SECRET FILES.

>Since it's only in the rough planning stages, it won't be out until the
>year's end. The creators don't know what the main story in it will be.

The map will consist of a picture of the galaxy with a little sign that says
"you are here."

Simon DelMonte
"You can't go home again. But you can shop there." - Martin Q. Blank, "Grosse
Pointe Blank"

David J. Snyder

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

In article <6e5cpi$9...@nntp02.primenet.com>,

Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

>Jeff would like to see Supergirl and Streaky the supercat show up in the
>30th century. But he doesn't care for Comet.

What about Whizzy?

>If Brainy stayed in the sun too long, he would get a darker green tone.

What the heck would Brainy be doing in the sun? Wouldn't that do more
than change his skin tone?

-Dave
--
"I'm with Deadboy on this one."
"Please don't call me that."

David J. Snyder

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

In article <350bec23....@news.supernews.com>,

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>>McCauley won't pursue Val for a breach of contract, since they never had one.
>

>Repeat after me: "Chat Reports are not canonical. Chat Reports are not
>canonical."

Legionnaries #60 is canonical, right?

JDTaylor00

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

>Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote

>>Winema will participate in the events concerning the UP.

To which >tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.)
replied:

>>If you don't make her Grand Marshall of the parade, she's going to be bitchy.

To which I reply:

And we'll notice what difference?

KrytenToo

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

In article <19980312183...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, sdel...@aol.com
(SDelMonte) writes:

>>A map of the UP is a possible feature of the next LEGION SECRET FILES.
>>Since it's only in the rough planning stages, it won't be out until the
>>year's end. The creators don't know what the main story in it will be.
>>

>The map will consist of a picture of the galaxy with a little sign that says
>"you are here."

Mmmm.... fairy cake. :-)

Obscure Reference Lad
Jeremy B

'You don't spend ten years as a homicidal maniac without learning a few
things about dynamite." Sideshow Bob

Dan McEwen

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:30:28 -0500, Leor Blumenthal
<lblu...@hejira.Hunter.CUNY.EDU> wrote:

>On 11 Mar 1998, Alex Tam wrote:
>
>> Jeff would like to see Supergirl and Streaky the supercat show up in the
>> 30th century. But he doesn't care for Comet.
>

>Streaky the Supercat no longer exists in DC continuity. He has been
>replaced by the diabolical Chakat the Demoncat, who was last seen in
>Supergirl #2 beeing chased by some really big dogs. Chakat is interested
>in the 30c, but he can't do much without Buzz's sayso. (Buzz is Linda
>Danver's ex-boyfriend, and an agent of Chaos. Read Supergirl. Or else
>Chakat will be upset.)

Buzz is dead. Chakrat, at best, worked =with= Buzz, not for him.
Also, we "know" that the fights between cats and dogs are an offshoot
of the war between Chakrat's cat race and a race of demon dogs. That
said, I see no reason why Chakrat couldn't impart some of his power to
a cat, in order to spy/get revenge on Supergirl. Naturally, the cat
would really be good, but manage to retain the powers (perhaps with
Wally's intervention).

>> Jeff thinks Jenni will eventually find a boyfriend; he thinks she and Rokk
>> would make a cute couple.
>

>So do I. I want to see an XS-Cosmic boy romance.

I don't. I'm still holding out for Lydda The Subs have GOT to appear
sometime soon, right?

>> Tom doesn't think Thom is related to the Starman of 1951, but he can't be
>> sure.
>

>Which Starman is that?

The Starman of 1951 who was only around in 1951 and who's identity was
unknown.

>Why are the folks at DC trying to jump through hoops to make everything
>that may have happened in kingdom come cannon? Starboy shouldn't be
>related to Starman, unless there's a really good story that doesn't make
>us run for our flame throwers.

Er, this isn't about Kingdom Come. This is about STARMAN SECRET FILES
mentioning that Jack meets Thom in outer space and asks him to take
his place should he ever stop being Opal City's protector. Thom
agrees. According to SSF, the STARMAN series ends with Jack quitting.
Hence, the speculation.

>> The United Planets isn't a democracy; it's just an association of about
>> seventy planets. Tom tells us to expect some changes in the organization

>> with the advent of the Dark Circle story. Winema will participate in the
>> events concerning the UP.
>

>"Aha! Just as I said! Come my socially enlightened brethen let us
>oberthrow the.. ooh pretty Anonmoly.. klik-klik, klik-klik..."

It appears that it is true. The UP seems far closer to the facist
organization it was in preboot v4 than to the mostly utopian society
from ADV, ACT, v2, and v3.

Dan
djmc...@worldnet.att.net
fe...@lsh.org

Duggy

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:
> Previously, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

> >But he doesn't care for Comet.

> Who does? Comet's a little weird. In the 1990's, we'd call him a stalker
> and have him arrested.

And they call them the good old days...

> >There are no specific plans for Chuck or Tenzil right now.

> "Just wander around aimlessly in the background, guys."

Try no to say anything... that way we can pay you the same as extras.

> >The Saturn symbol isn't worn by all telepaths, just the ones from Titan.

> What if it catches on as a fad thing? The mood ring of the late 2990's.

Sure. Except it's the sort of fashion that gets you beaten up by people who
hate Teeps.

> >If Brainy stayed in the sun too long, he would get a darker green tone.

> And what about Umbra?

I'm sure that with a nice tan Brainy good get Umbra.

> >Tom noted that Legionnaires possess certain freedoms, such as being > >allowed
> >to search a scene without needing a warrant.

> Omigod! Tom, you know better than this! Don't answer questions like this
> during the AOL Chat! It's a trap!

"It's behind you, Tom!"
"He's got a knife!"

Wow, it's just like Panto.

> All you LSH fans, repeat after me: "Chat Reports are not canonical. Chat
> Reports are not canonical."

I'm getting a strange feeling of Deja Vu.

That's right. They were only canonical when the sexier previous writer did
them.

> >Jeff thinks Jenni will eventually find a boyfriend; he thinks she and Rokk
> >would make a cute couple.

> Jenni should be the one to fall in love with a Hero of Lallor this boot.
> it'd suit her.

Much better then who she fell in love with last boot.

> >Tom doesn't think Thom is related to the Starman of 1951, but he can't be
> >sure.

> He could ask . . . .

He's lawyers advised him not to until after the Paternity case is settled.

> >McCauley won't pursue Val for a breach of contract, since they never had >>one.
> Repeat after me: "Chat Reports are not canonical. Chat Reports are not
> canonical."

I'm get a strange feeling of Deja Vu.

> >The United Planets isn't a democracy; it's just an association of about
> >seventy planets.

> The United Planetary Confederacy?

The United Planets Assiociation And Dinner Club.

> >Winema will participate in the events concerning the UP.

> If you don't make her Grand Marshall of the parade, she's going to be
> bitchy.

As opposed to...?

> >Brainy, Laurel, and Zoe might want to revert to their previous appearances,
> >after the anomaly changes them. Tom wasn't sure if they'd actually
> >changeback.

> Nothing like knowing where a plot is going. :)

Careful planning.

> >Brainy's hair will be shorter; until now he's been too lazy or busy
> >to get a trim.

> . . . and he won't let Koko play with scissors.

Spoilsport.

> >LSH #108 will reveal more about his changes.

> Er, shouldn't it be revealed sooner?

Maybe he doesn't know.

> Is LSH #108 before or after LSH #1,000,000?

Before. About 999,892 issues before...

> >The away team returns from the anomaly in LSH #104.

> Did they bring me anything?

"My Future-Teen-Supergroup visited a cosmis anomaly and all I got was this
damn T-Shirt"

> >A map of the UP is a possible feature of the next LEGION SECRET FILES.

> LEGION SECRET FILES #2 is going to be a 3D book?

No. The universe actually getting thinner.

> >Since it's only in the rough planning stages, it won't be out until the
> >year's end. The creators don't know what the main story in it will be.

> Well, Golly, how about that Timber Wolf story you've been teasing us with?

No, no... how about a story about Kyle Rayner visiting at, coincidently, the
exact same time that a group of petty thieves calling themselves "The Green
Lantern Corps" turns up?

Oh, wait...

---
- Dug.
---

Duggy

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

In article <6e5cpi$9...@nntp02.primenet.com>,
Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

> Jeff would like to see Supergirl and Streaky the supercat show up in the

> 30th century. But he doesn't care for Comet.

The Real Streaky or the demon in #3 that PAD says is Streaky?

> The Saturn symbol isn't worn by all telepaths, just the ones from Titan.

Makes sense.

> If Brainy stayed in the sun too long, he would get a darker green tone.

Not that one should condone going out in the sun too long. It's dangerous.
Or have that solved such things by then?

> Tom doesn't think Thom is related to the Starman of 1951, but he can't be
> sure.

A simple DNA test...

Duggy

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

In article <6e7fsf$4ul$1...@nntp-2.io.com>,

da...@xanadu.io.com (David J. Snyder) wrote:
> In article <6e5cpi$9...@nntp02.primenet.com>,
> Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

> >Jeff would like to see Supergirl and Streaky the supercat show up in the
> >30th century. But he doesn't care for Comet.

> What about Whizzy?

No thanks. Just been.

> >If Brainy stayed in the sun too long, he would get a darker green tone.

> What the heck would Brainy be doing in the sun? Wouldn't that do more
> than change his skin tone?

Building a prison? Visiting the 20th Century Superman?

Leor Blumenthal

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Dan McEwen wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:30:28 -0500, Leor Blumenthal
> <lblu...@hejira.Hunter.CUNY.EDU> wrote:
>

> >On 11 Mar 1998, Alex Tam wrote:
> >
> >> Jeff would like to see Supergirl and Streaky the supercat show up in the
> >> 30th century. But he doesn't care for Comet.
> >

> >Streaky the Supercat no longer exists in DC continuity. He has been
> >replaced by the diabolical Chakat the Demoncat, who was last seen in
> >Supergirl #2 beeing chased by some really big dogs. Chakat is interested
> >in the 30c, but he can't do much without Buzz's sayso. (Buzz is Linda
> >Danver's ex-boyfriend, and an agent of Chaos. Read Supergirl. Or else
> >Chakat will be upset.)

> Buzz is dead. Chakrat, at best, worked =with= Buzz, not for him.
> Also, we "know" that the fights between cats and dogs are an offshoot
> of the war between Chakrat's cat race and a race of demon dogs. That
> said, I see no reason why Chakrat couldn't impart some of his power to
> a cat, in order to spy/get revenge on Supergirl. Naturally, the cat
> would really be good, but manage to retain the powers (perhaps with
> Wally's intervention).

That's possible, but I remember PAD saying the Chakrat IS Streaky.

> >> Tom doesn't think Thom is related to the Starman of 1951, but he can't be
> >> sure.
> >

> >Which Starman is that?
>
> The Starman of 1951 who was only around in 1951 and who's identity was
> unknown.

If we don't know who he was how can he be related to Star Boy?

> >Why are the folks at DC trying to jump through hoops to make everything
> >that may have happened in kingdom come cannon? Starboy shouldn't be
> >related to Starman, unless there's a really good story that doesn't make
> >us run for our flame throwers.

> Er, this isn't about Kingdom Come. This is about STARMAN SECRET FILES
> mentioning that Jack meets Thom in outer space and asks him to take
> his place should he ever stop being Opal City's protector. Thom
> agrees. According to SSF, the STARMAN series ends with Jack quitting.
> Hence, the speculation.

I can just picture this scenario when Thom comes to ask permission to
become the "champion" of Opal City:

Star Boy:"Guys I have to go back in time to protect Opal City."

Brainy:"Absolutely not! Don't you realize the damage you can cause the
timestream?"

Saturn Girl:"Starboy can't you protect this Opal place in this century?"

Invisible Kid:"After all the trouble we went through to get the team
reunited?"

Gates:"This Opal place was a debase capitalist sludgehole! How can you
possibly defend it's infrastructure?"

Cosmic Boy:"If that's how you feel Thom, then go, but the Legion can't go
with you."

Time Trapper:"Sure I'll send you to 20th century Opal city. I'll even
send half the Legion and a science police officer with you....."

> >> The United Planets isn't a democracy; it's just an association of about

> >> seventy planets. Tom tells us to expect some changes in the organization

> >> with the advent of the Dark Circle story. Winema will participate in the
> >> events concerning the UP.
> >

> >"Aha! Just as I said! Come my socially enlightened brethen let us
> >oberthrow the.. ooh pretty Anonmoly.. klik-klik, klik-klik..."
>
> It appears that it is true. The UP seems far closer to the facist
> organization it was in preboot v4 than to the mostly utopian society
> from ADV, ACT, v2, and v3.

I wouldn't go that far. The UP is not a democracy, but it isn't nearly as
bad as the incompetant group that ran Weber's World or New Earth.

> Dan
> djmc...@worldnet.att.net
> fe...@lsh.org

Leor Blumenthal

Dan McEwen

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998 11:04:37 -0500, Leor Blumenthal
<lblu...@hejira.Hunter.CUNY.EDU> wrote:

>On Fri, 13 Mar 1998, Dan McEwen wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 11:30:28 -0500, Leor Blumenthal
>> <lblu...@hejira.Hunter.CUNY.EDU> wrote:

>> >Which Starman is that?
>>
>> The Starman of 1951 who was only around in 1951 and who's identity was
>> unknown.
>
>If we don't know who he was how can he be related to Star Boy?

Because he could BE Star Boy. There are theories that when Thom goes
back in time to fulfill his promise to protect Opal City, he
overshoots in the mark and ends up in 1951. Why is this so hard to
understand? The question you're asking is like saying "If people
don't know Batman's identity, how can Dick Grayson be related to him?"
It makes no sense.

Dan
djmc...@worldnet.att.net
fe...@lsh.org

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Mar 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/13/98

Previously, Duggy <Dugg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>In article <350bec23....@news.supernews.com>,
> tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:
>> Previously, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

>> >But he doesn't care for Comet.

>> Who does? Comet's a little weird. In the 1990's, we'd call him a stalker
>> and have him arrested.
>
>And they call them the good old days...

Stalking in the 30th century requires a warrant.

>> >The Saturn symbol isn't worn by all telepaths, just the ones from Titan.

>> What if it catches on as a fad thing? The mood ring of the late 2990's.
>
>Sure. Except it's the sort of fashion that gets you beaten up by people who
>hate Teeps.

Well, hating Titanians has to be bad for your health. It's like picking on
the guy that's toting a bazooka.

>> >If Brainy stayed in the sun too long, he would get a darker green tone.

>> And what about Umbra?
>
>I'm sure that with a nice tan Brainy good get Umbra.

Until Evolvo kicked sand in his face . . . .

>> All you LSH fans, repeat after me: "Chat Reports are not canonical. Chat
>> Reports are not canonical."
>
>I'm getting a strange feeling of Deja Vu.

Again?

>That's right. They were only canonical when the sexier previous writer did
>them.

The only reason that they were canonical then is because I have pictures of
Peyer that he doesn't want to end up on a webpage. I used to make stuff up
and force him to put it in the stories. "Tom, I'm thinking bald kid,
bicycle pants, no name. Do it."

>> >The United Planets isn't a democracy; it's just an association of about
>> >seventy planets.

>> The United Planetary Confederacy?
>
>The United Planets Assiociation And Dinner Club.

The United Planets Country Club and Spa. Members welcome.

>> >LSH #108 will reveal more about his changes.
>> Er, shouldn't it be revealed sooner?
>
>Maybe he doesn't know.

It's his job to know. Well, that and coloring.

>> >The away team returns from the anomaly in LSH #104.
>> Did they bring me anything?
>
>"My Future-Teen-Supergroup visited a cosmis anomaly and all I got was this
>damn T-Shirt"

I was actually hoping for a refrigerator magnet for my collection of 30th
century refrigerator magnets.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"Kcor! Klahc! Kwahyaj!"
--Zatanna the Kansas coed
Favorite comic of the week: QUANTUM & WOODY #14
Runner-up: LEGIONNAIRES #60
LSG! June 11-14! See http://www.primenet.com/~sward/saturngirl/lsh/lsg2.htm

Ben Weiss

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Dan McEwen wrote:

> Because he could BE Star Boy. There are theories that when Thom goes
> back in time to fulfill his promise to protect Opal City, he
> overshoots in the mark and ends up in 1951. Why is this so hard to
> understand?

To which I have to say...DC has made two attempts to permanently trap a
30th century Legionnaire in the 20th century. One was, by consensus, a
dismal failure, and the other ended up as a continuity morass that still
hasn't been completely untangled. I don't see the point of going this
route again.
Ben
element-lad[at]lsh.org

JDTaylor00

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

I can't keep track of the thread any more! All I know is that the following
lines have appeared:

>>> Who does? Comet's a little weird. In the 1990's, we'd call him a stalker
and have him arrested.
>>And they call them the good old days...
>Stalking in the 30th century requires a warrant.

Unless you're a Legionnaire. Legionnaires have special authority.

Jon Crowhurst

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Hey!, on Sat, 14 Mar 1998 00:08:41 -0800, Ben Weiss
<benw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Eh? Two? Okay, one attempt was Karate Kid in his 70s era solo title...
that I believe was the dismal failure. The other one was Timber Wolf -
now how is that a "continuity morass"??

Shadowrunner

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

Ben Weiss <benw...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<350A3B...@earthlink.net>...

> Dan McEwen wrote:
>
> > Because he could BE Star Boy. There are theories that when Thom goes
> > back in time to fulfill his promise to protect Opal City, he
> > overshoots in the mark and ends up in 1951. Why is this so hard to
> > understand?
>
> To which I have to say...DC has made two attempts to permanently trap a
> 30th century Legionnaire in the 20th century. One was, by consensus, a
> dismal failure, and the other ended up as a continuity morass that still
> hasn't been completely untangled. I don't see the point of going this
> route again.

This is more of a Starman-thing than a Legion-thing, even tho' it involves
a legionnaire. They are merely trying to tie all the carriers of the name
"Starman/boy" together. As far as Thom going going to the 20th Century
to replace Jack Knight, i doubt if it is written in stone. The writers are

possibly laying the ground work for a *possibility* of it happening.

--
Just a few thoughts.

-- shadowrunner <a.k.a mric...@bellsouth.net>

Query: Why do the call it the _USA Today_ when everything
you read happened yesterday?

Jonathan L. Miller

Mar 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/14/98

In article
<Pine.SOL.3.91.980312...@hejira.hunter.cuny.edu>, Leor
Blumenthal <lblu...@hejira.Hunter.CUNY.EDU> wrote:

> Happy Purim Kinentix!

Unfortunately, Kinetix doesn't read Usenet...(and if she does, then she
should feeel doubly guilty for not taking a minute to drop an e-mail to an
old friend)...but I will pass this on to her. :-)

jonathan.

Ben Weiss

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

Jon Crowhurst wrote:
> Hey!, on Sat, 14 Mar 1998 00:08:41 -0800, Ben Weiss
> <benw...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >To which I have to say...DC has made two attempts to permanently trap a
> >30th century Legionnaire in the 20th century. One was, by consensus, a
> >dismal failure, and the other ended up as a continuity morass that still
> >hasn't been completely untangled. I don't see the point of going this
> >route again.
>

> Eh? Two? Okay, one attempt was Karate Kid in his 70s era solo title...
> that I believe was the dismal failure. The other one was Timber Wolf -
> now how is that a "continuity morass"??

I wasn't counting Karate Kid because my understanding is that he was
always intended to go back to the 30th at some point--he wasn't trapped,
but on a quest to prove himself to Jeckie's parents.

T-Wolf's series was the dismal failure, and the continuity morass was
Phase's original concept as a time-lost Phantom Girl.
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

Duggy

Mar 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/15/98

In article <35168b6b...@news.supernews.com>,

tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:
> Previously, Duggy <Dugg...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >In article <350bec23....@news.supernews.com>,
> > tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

> >> Who does? Comet's a little weird. In the 1990's, we'd call him a stalker
> >> and have him arrested.
> >And they call them the good old days...
> Stalking in the 30th century requires a warrant.

Cherry Pie variety, or Q&W "villain"?

> Well, hating Titanians has to be bad for your health. It's like picking on
> the guy that's toting a bazooka.

Your point being?

> >> And what about Umbra?
> >I'm sure that with a nice tan Brainy good get Umbra.
> Until Evolvo kicked sand in his face . . . .

Your point being?

> >> All you LSH fans, repeat after me: "Chat Reports are not canonical. > >> Chat
> >> Reports are not canonical."
> >I'm getting a strange feeling of Deja Vu.
> Again?

Your po... err... I'm getting a strange feeling of Deja Vu...

> >That's right. They were only canonical when the sexier previous writer did
> >them.
> The only reason that they were canonical then is because I have pictures of
> Peyer that he doesn't want to end up on a webpage. I used to make stuff > up
> and force him to put it in the stories. "Tom, I'm thinking bald kid,
> bicycle pants, no name. Do it."

Hey, kids... look he's admiting it's all his fault! Get him?

> >> The United Planetary Confederacy?
> >The United Planets Assiociation And Dinner Club.
> The United Planets Country Club and Spa. Members welcome.

I already belong to that club... I'm a count-ry member

> >> Er, shouldn't it be revealed sooner?
> >Maybe he doesn't know.
> It's his job to know. Well, that and coloring.

No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. In reality a different person does
each page, so that no one person can know the complete story before it comes
out. Or is that just Ron Marz?

> >> Did they bring me anything?

> >"My Future-Teen-Supergroup visited a cosmic anomaly and all I got was > >this
> >damn T-Shirt"

> I was actually hoping for a refrigerator magnet for my collection of 30th
> century refrigerator magnets.

How does a 20th Century Refrigerator differ from a 30th Century Refrigerator
that they need different magnets?

Leor Blumenthal

Mar 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/16/98

On Sat, 14 Mar 1998, Ben Weiss wrote:

> Dan McEwen wrote:
>
> > Because he could BE Star Boy. There are theories that when Thom goes
> > back in time to fulfill his promise to protect Opal City, he
> > overshoots in the mark and ends up in 1951. Why is this so hard to
> > understand?
>

> To which I have to say...DC has made two attempts to permanently trap a
> 30th century Legionnaire in the 20th century. One was, by consensus, a
> dismal failure, and the other ended up as a continuity morass that still
> hasn't been completely untangled. I don't see the point of going this
> route again.

> Ben
> element-lad[at]lsh.org

Which were they?

I feel that the Legion shouldn't spend too much time in the 20th century,
especially near characters who might get shuffled off into non-existence
at the next revamping of DC's continuity.

Leor Blumenthal

KrytenToo

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

In article <6eid7j$2l9$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Duggy <Dugg...@hotmail.com>
writes:

>> >"My Future-Teen-Supergroup visited a cosmic anomaly and all I got was >
>>this
>> >damn T-Shirt"
>
>> I was actually hoping for a refrigerator magnet for my collection of 30th
>> century refrigerator magnets.
>
>How does a 20th Century Refrigerator differ from a 30th Century Refrigerator
>that they need different magnets?

For one thing, Ron Marz has no access to 30th century fridges. (Ok, I actually
have been liking Marz more often than not lately, but sometimes it's fun to
go for the cheap shot <g>)

Duggy

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

In article <19980317134...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

kryt...@aol.com (KrytenToo) wrote:
> In article <6eid7j$2l9$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Duggy
> <Dugg...@hotmail.com> writes:

> >> I was actually hoping for a refrigerator magnet for my collection of 30th
> >> century refrigerator magnets.

> >How does a 20th Century Refrigerator differ from a 30th Century > >Refrigerator
> >that they need different magnets?

> For one thing, Ron Marz has no access to 30th century fridges.

Yeah, he does... "Oh dear Kyle's in the 30th Century again. Look, a fridge
has gone mad and is attacking/hitting on him" Of course the fridge would be
acting totally out of character, and behave like a 20th Century fridge
anyway...

> (Ok, I actually
> have been liking Marz more often than not lately, but sometimes it's fun to
> go for the cheap shot <g>)

Oh dear, what happens if Marz gets some talent? Who will we make cheap shots
at then?

Bill Hay

Mar 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/17/98

In article <6eid7j$2l9$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Duggy wrote:
>How does a 20th Century Refrigerator differ from a 30th Century Refrigerator
>that they need different magnets?

Well the 30th Century refrigirator magnets have to be designed to cope
with the varying magnetic field induced by Marz storing dead Braalians
inside the refrigirator.

Duggy

Mar 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/18/98

In article <slrn6gsc0n.5ua.wish...@dumain.pcug.com>,

You know, I really didn't realise I was setting it up so people could post
Marz-Drive-Bys.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

KrytenToo

Mar 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/19/98

In article <6emulo$dt2$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Duggy <Dugg...@hotmail.com>
writes:

>Oh dear, what happens if Marz gets some talent? Who will we make cheap shots
>at then?

Why, Rob Liefeld, of course. There's no danger of him developing talent, is
there? <g>

prof...@worldnet.att.net

Mar 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/20/98

kryt...@aol.com (KrytenToo) writes: > In article <6emulo$dt2$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, Duggy <Dugg...@hotmail.com>

> writes:
>
> >Oh dear, what happens if Marz gets some talent? Who will we make cheap shots
> >at then?
> >

> Why, Rob Liefeld, of course. There's no danger of him developing talent, is
> there? <g>

Hey, at least Rob is smart enough to get someone with real talent (i.e.
Alan Moore) to write his books...

Darren Soundy

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98
to Duggy

Heyyyyyyyy, Duggy

DON'T WORRY, I'LL REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> > >Maybe he doesn't know.
> > It's his job to know. Well, that and coloring.
>
> No, no, no. You've got it all wrong. In reality a different person does
> each page, so that no one person can know the complete story before it comes
> out. Or is that just Ron Marz?

> > >"My Future-Teen-Supergroup visited a cosmic anomaly and all I got was > >this
> > >damn T-Shirt"
>

> > I was actually hoping for a refrigerator magnet for my collection of 30th
> > century refrigerator magnets.
>

> How does a 20th Century Refrigerator differ from a 30th Century Refrigerator
> that they need different magnets?

Duggy

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

In article <Pine.OSF.3.96.980326...@barra.jcu.edu.au>,
Darren Soundy <art...@jcu.edu.au> wrote:

> Heyyyyyyyy, Duggy

> On Sun, 15 Mar 1998, Duggy wrote:

> > I already belong to that club... I'm a count-ry member
> DON'T WORRY, I'LL REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know Darren... I still don't think they got it.