LSH: AOL Chat for 2/17/98: McCraw, Armstrong & Moy

Alex Tam

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist), Jason Armstrong (LSH penciller),
Jeff Moy (L* penciller) were the guests on America Online's Legion of
Super-Heroes Chat for Tuesday, February 17, 1998. Legion of Super-Heroes
Chat takes place every Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00
PM EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every Thursday in the same area at 10:00
PM EST. (Keyword: CHAT DC.) Regular guests include Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy,
Jason Armstrong, Ron Boyd and Mike McAvennie.

Thanks to T. Troy McNemar who originated the Legion Chat Reports; so much
of the format of these writeups was derived from his hard work.

DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report. Essentially,
the Legion chats involve about twenty-five fans shouting repeated questions
to the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations may
occur on my part.

SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
info from the more general comments.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: To subscribe to these chat reports, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lsh-chats". To
unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

PLUGS: To subscribe to Lev Kalman's humorous LSH pics, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lev-pics". You'll get a
new cartoon e-mailed to you about once every two weeks.

To browse this fan's STARMAN website, visit
http://users.aol.com/nachro2/starhome.htm

Finally, for all your LSH online needs, check out the Legion of
Super-Resources at http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm

:=========================:

Jason was just finishing pencilling on LSH #106.

Jason is planning his own comic book creation that he'll write, draw,
letter, and color. It features a "Commie-fighting, atomic-powered"
adventurer.

Former LSH penciller Lee Moder may be drawing BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER soon.

Jason draws the space anomaly by manipulating its scanned image. Jeff
draws it totally by hand.

No plans for the Subs, or flashback stories. Inferno will be seen around
the DCU.

Tom doesn't think that XS would ever want to be named "The Flash".

Thunder will show up later in the year. She doesn't call herself "Captain
Marvel" because she wanted to be more original than that.

Jeka and Lyle's powers do not show up on electronic devices such as cameras.

Violet's height limit is probably around 30 feet.

The creators aren't sure whether Condo Arlik will become a hero.

Lori would adopt an H-Dial personality for a longer period of time, if she
could figure out how. Tom noted that she did get the dial in LSH #91.

Tom thinks the Science Police mini, to be released in June, will have
realistic art.

L* #59 featured all the Legionnaires in downtime, except the on-duty
Monstress and Star Boy. That means the Espionage Squad was not secretly in
action in that issue.

It's still unknown if there will be Legion action figures made for the
Superman Animated line.

Tom still wouldn't say anything about Lyle's mysterious 'C'; clues will be
dropped in the Legion books. In L* #59, Lyle wasn't spying for anyone; he
was out for fun.

Jason has drawn Tyroc and Nura recently (presumably in the pages of LSH).

The creators have ideas for the Legion books' confirmed involvement with
September's DCU crossover, DC ONE MILLION, but there's nothing to say yet.
The story won't invalidate 1996's LSH Annual #7, the "Dead Earth" tie-in
with Wildfire.

Star Boy is not planning to leave soon. But James Robinson will "borrow"
the character for an upcoming STARMAN storyline.

Jeff thinks Kinetix's costume will change again soon.

The anomaly will be in the stories for some time, at least past the 40th
anniversary issues. The Legionnaires will find something similar to it.

-- Alex Tam
gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

David J. Snyder

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

In article <6ceutg$l...@nntp02.primenet.com>,
Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

>Former LSH penciller Lee Moder may be drawing BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER soon.

Only Buffy, or other people as well? (Here's my Xander impression-
"Amy Yip at the water slide park." Impressive, huh?)

>Jason draws the space anomaly by manipulating its scanned image. Jeff
>draws it totally by hand.

Where did Jason get a scanned image of a space anomaly?

>No plans for the Subs, or flashback stories. Inferno will be seen around
>the DCU.

She won't actually do anything, she'll just be seen.

>Tom doesn't think that XS would ever want to be named "The Flash".

Did anyone suggest "Ms Zip"?

>Thunder will show up later in the year. She doesn't call herself "Captain
>Marvel" because she wanted to be more original than that.

Also, if she called herself that, she'd be losing her powers all the time.

Did anyone suggest CM4?

>Jeka and Lyle's powers do not show up on electronic devices such as cameras.

Wait, we've seen Lyle be invisible over video monitors. Like when
he snuck into President Chu's office while Rokk was talking to him,
and when he turned into a skeleton.

>The creators aren't sure whether Condo Arlik will become a hero.

Mug somebody while he's walking by and see what happens.

>L* #59 featured all the Legionnaires in downtime, except the on-duty
>Monstress and Star Boy. That means the Espionage Squad was not secretly in
>action in that issue.

Unless they're really, really clever.

-Dave

--
"But -- but -- I'm so cute -- -- and spunky --"
-Taylor 88, QUANTUM AND WOODY #13

Craig Hyde

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

Alex Tam wrote:

Spoiler (in teh negative sense)

> Star Boy is not planning to leave soon. But James Robinson will "borrow"
> the character for an upcoming STARMAN storyline.

Whew! Thank god! I was seriously worried there for awhile.

---craig hyde ch...@SPAMSUCKSmath.arizona.edu---

(To e-mail me, remove the capitalized anti-spam phrase from
the above address.)

Sidne G. Ward

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> writes:

>DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report. Essentially,
>the Legion chats involve about twenty-five fans shouting repeated questions
>to the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
>thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations may
>occur on my part.

>SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
>toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
>info from the more general comments.

>Jason is planning his own comic book creation that he'll write, draw,
>letter, and color. It features a "Commie-fighting, atomic-powered"
>adventurer.

I'll look forward to the Gates crossover. :)

>No plans for the Subs, or flashback stories.

I hope this just means not for the immediate future. I'm really looking
forward to seeing the subs in action someday (even if it's behind the
scenes so that we, the readers, know about it but the Legion doesn't.)

>Tom doesn't think that XS would ever want to be named "The Flash".

If Barry Allen was *my* grandfather, you can believe I'd *love* to use the
name.

>Thunder will show up later in the year. She doesn't call herself "Captain
>Marvel" because she wanted to be more original than that.

Let's just hope she doesn't call herself CM213. :)

>Jeka and Lyle's powers do not show up on electronic devices such as cameras.

This seems like *quite* a limitation on their powers. Anyone watching
Lyle or Jeka on a monitor would see them.

Didn't we already see Lyle using his powers to "borrow" an omnicom through
a monitor?

Since Jeka's powers are apparently known, why would any foe face the
Legion without a miniature camera to watch through?

>The creators aren't sure whether Condo Arlik will become a hero.

At least he's around for possible use in the future.

Sidne Gail Ward
sw...@primenet.com
Join fellow r.a.c.ers and LSH fans in Las Vegas from June 11-14! E-mail
me for details.

monty...@hotmail.com

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

In article <6cf4jp$d38$1...@nntp-2.io.com>,

da...@xanadu.io.com (David J. Snyder) wrote:

> >Thunder will show up later in the year. She doesn't call herself "Captain
> >Marvel" because she wanted to be more original than that.

Want Thunder now, dammit.

> Did anyone suggest CM4?

If they do then I'm likely to go Sprewell on them.

> >Jeka and Lyle's powers do not show up on electronic devices such as cameras.
>

> Wait, we've seen Lyle be invisible over video monitors. Like when
> he snuck into President Chu's office while Rokk was talking to him,
> and when he turned into a skeleton.

Exactly what you said. I'm hoping that they were talking about Jeka, but
accidentally threw Lyle in with it. A quiet retcon would not go over with
many I feel.

> >L* #59 featured all the Legionnaires in downtime, except the on-duty
> >Monstress and Star Boy. That means the Espionage Squad was not secretly in
> >action in that issue.

And the On-duty away team as well, I guess....

Monty

<A round of applause for the US Women's Hockey team, not only for winning the
gold but for waxing those damned Canadians...;P Oh, and please no 'Czech is
in the mail' jokes...I'm already hurting>

Ben Weiss

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

David J. Snyder wrote:

> In article <6ceutg$l...@nntp02.primenet.com>,
> Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

> >Jeka and Lyle's powers do not show up on electronic devices such as cameras.
>
> Wait, we've seen Lyle be invisible over video monitors. Like when
> he snuck into President Chu's office while Rokk was talking to him,
> and when he turned into a skeleton.

And it simply doesn't make sense. Lyle's power, as I understand it,
comes from the bending of light rays. That should affect a camera as
much as an eye.

Jeka's powers are mentally based, so they wouldn't affect a camera. But
they'd affect the mind of anyone viewing the image, so the effect would
be the same.
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

Nachro2

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

Sidne G. Ward (sw...@primenet.com) wrote:

> Didn't we already see Lyle using his powers to "borrow" an
> omnicom through a monitor?

I forgot about that. I do remember Rokk seeing Lyle's skeleton on the
monitors, in LSH #80 (though I could be wrong). Ah well, time to bug Tom about
this. :)

> Since Jeka's powers are apparently known, why would any foe
> face the Legion without a miniature camera to watch through?

I don't think every villain would know that.

-Alex Tam

SDelMonte

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

writes:

>Jason was just finishing pencilling on LSH #106.

Jason is planning his own

>comic book creation that he'll write, draw,
letter, and color. It features a
>"Commie-fighting, atomic-powered"
adventurer.

Oh no, another time slip story!

Former LSH penciller Lee Moder
>may be drawing BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER soon.

Hmmmm. Wafer-thin teenage girls played by twenty-two year olds in skimpy
costumes.... A good match. And remember, Rupert Giles equals Marla Latham,
and Oz is Timber Wolf 2000!

Jason draws the space anomaly
>by manipulating its scanned image. Jeff
draws it totally by hand.

And I draw it by spilling paint on my paper.

No plans

>for the Subs, or flashback stories. Inferno will be seen around
the
>DCU.

She's slated to make a cameo on "The DCU Love Boat," in rehearsals for GBS.

Tom doesn't think that XS would ever want to be named "The
>Flash".

She does want to be named Jenni Quick, however.

Thunder will show up later in the year. She doesn't call herself
>"Captain
Marvel" because she wanted to be more original than that.

And also because she couldn't say her name! But Thunder beats CM3. Anything
beats CM3.

Jeka and
>Lyle's powers do not show up on electronic devices such as cameras.

Ah, so they're witches. Or is it genies?

Violet's
>height limit is probably around 30 feet.

Which makes driving through those "Max Headroom" tunnels a pain.

The creators aren't sure whether
>Condo Arlik will become a hero.

He's Condo Arlik - he has to become a hero.

Lori would adopt an H-Dial personality for a
>longer period of time, if she
could figure out how. Tom noted that she did
>get the dial in LSH #91.

Ah, the challenges of growing up in the future.

Tom thinks the Science Police mini, to be released
>in June, will have
realistic art.

You mean small-breasted women, average looking people, wrinkled uniforms, and a
sloppy stationhouse?

L* #59 featured all the Legionnaires in
>downtime, except the on-duty
Monstress and Star Boy. That means the
>Espionage Squad was not secretly in
action in that issue.

Or was it?

It's still unknown
>if there will be Legion action figures made for the
Superman Animated
>line.

Considering that Kenner has put the STAS line on indefinite hold, it seems
unlikely indeed.

Tom still wouldn't say anything about Lyle's mysterious 'C'; clues
>will be
dropped in the Legion books. In L* #59, Lyle wasn't spying for
>anyone; he
was out for fun.

How do we knowing that he doesn't spy for fun?

Jason has drawn Tyroc and Nura recently
>(presumably in the pages of LSH).

Although fans ask for the silliest things at fan dinners and cons.

The creators have ideas for the Legion
>books' confirmed involvement with
September's DCU crossover, DC ONE MILLION,
>but there's nothing to say yet.
The story won't invalidate 1996's LSH Annual
>#7, the "Dead Earth" tie-in
with Wildfire.

<RANT ALERT!> Do we have to? This DC One Million idea is the kind of
self-congratulatory, almost-but-not-really-clever piffle that Grant Morrison
has been foisting on an unsuspecting public. I want nothing to do with it, and
I feel the LSH should be kept far, far away from it, too. <END OF RANT>

Star Boy is not planning to leave
>soon. But James Robinson will "borrow"
the character for an upcoming STARMAN
>storyline.

Moreover, he will also return Star Boy in one piece and alive. The Mist will
be far away during this story.

>Jeff thinks Kinetix's costume will change again soon.

Janet Van Dyne, please pick up the white courtesy communicator ring.

The
>anomaly will be in the stories for some time, at least past the
>40th
anniversary issues. The Legionnaires will find something similar to
>it.

I find this highly anomalous.

Simon DelMonte
"You can't go home again. But you can shop there." - Martin Q. Blank, "Grosse
Pointe Blank"

SDelMonte

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

Sidne G. Ward

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

nac...@aol.com (Nachro2) writes:

>Sidne G. Ward (sw...@primenet.com) wrote:

>> Didn't we already see Lyle using his powers to "borrow" an
>> omnicom through a monitor?

>I forgot about that. I do remember Rokk seeing Lyle's skeleton on the
>monitors, in LSH #80 (though I could be wrong). Ah well, time to bug Tom about
>this. :)

This limitation on their powers seems a little too broad to me.

>> Since Jeka's powers are apparently known, why would any foe
>> face the Legion without a miniature camera to watch through?

>I don't think every villain would know that.

Perhaps not *every* villain would. I really hope we see at least one
villain in the next few months doing so, though.

My impression of the scene in the recent date night issue is that the
scenes from inside the nightclub were broadcast. Surely *some* villain
would see the show or at least hear about it.

Sidne Gail Ward
sw...@primenet.com
Join fellow LSH fans and r.a.c.ers in Las Vegas from June 11-14! E-mail me
for details.

Dale Hicks

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

Ben Weiss <benw...@earthlink.net> wrote in article
<34EBE0...@earthlink.net>...

> David J. Snyder wrote:
> >
> > In article <6ceutg$l...@nntp02.primenet.com>,

> > Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:
>
> > >Jeka and Lyle's powers do not show up on electronic devices such as
cameras.

> > Wait, we've seen Lyle be invisible over video monitors. Like when
> > he snuck into President Chu's office while Rokk was talking to him,
> > and when he turned into a skeleton.
>
> And it simply doesn't make sense. Lyle's power, as I understand it,
> comes from the bending of light rays. That should affect a camera as
> much as an eye.

Agreed.

> Jeka's powers are mentally based, so they wouldn't affect a camera. But
> they'd affect the mind of anyone viewing the image, so the effect would
> be the same.

I disagree here. Okay, we're talking psuedoscience, but I can't think
of a good scenario where the mental "commands" to see a different image
would be transmitted remotely.

Okay, it may disable the guy that looks through a video camera at the
scene, as he can be affected by her projections. But a guy watching
the scene on the other side of the planet may (depending on PP's power
level) be unaffected since he is out of range. Similarly, watching the
event on tape a couple of hours later would reveal what really happened
(and this theory throws a kink into the human pretending to be a snake
theory).

So my suggestion to crooks: set up a remote hook-up to a villian far
away, and listen to his advice (and hope that the time delay of the
radio signal isn't too bad).

--
Mr. Perkins dhi...@always-online.com

Leor Blumenthal

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

On 18 Feb 1998, Alex Tam wrote:

> No plans for the Subs, or flashback stories. Inferno will be seen around
> the DCU.

The less of Inferno the better. After the awful Inferno mini, I propose
we send her to the land of forgotten comic book characters.

> Tom doesn't think that XS would ever want to be named "The Flash".

Why not?

> Thunder will show up later in the year. She doesn't call herself "Captain
> Marvel" because she wanted to be more original than that.

Thunder is original next to CM3. Hell, anything is more original than
CM3. You could call yourself Bob, carry a gun, and pose on a cover drawn
by Rob Liefeld, and you would be more original than CM3.

> Jeka and Lyle's powers do not show up on electronic devices such as cameras.

Hold, on a minute! Lyle Norg bends light around him rendering him
invisible. As in not seen. By anything. Even electronic devices. Sensor
projects mental images, and since scanners don't have minds, her
illusions are ignored by them. But Lyle turns invivsible, and if the
scanners use the regular light spectrum, they don't see him. In fact,
Lyle has been shown to be Invisible on monitors before, like when he
steals the documents behind Chu's back while she is talking to Cos. The
drawer opens, a padd levitates up, the drawer closes. He is invisible.

> Lori would adopt an H-Dial personality for a longer period of time, if she
> could figure out how. Tom noted that she did get the dial in LSH #91.
>

> The creators have ideas for the Legion books' confirmed involvement with
> September's DCU crossover, DC ONE MILLION, but there's nothing to say yet.
> The story won't invalidate 1996's LSH Annual #7, the "Dead Earth" tie-in
> with Wildfire.

This had better be a lot better than the Genesis corssover.

> Star Boy is not planning to leave soon. But James Robinson will "borrow"
> the character for an upcoming STARMAN storyline.
>

> The anomaly will be in the stories for some time, at least past the 40th
> anniversary issues. The Legionnaires will find something similar to it.

But will the Legionaires be in the anomaly past the 40th anniversary issues?

> -- Alex Tam
> gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

leor Blumenthal

ShaeX13

Feb 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/20/98

>> The anomaly will be in the stories for some time, at least past the
>40th<BR>
>> anniversary issues.

prediction:

The anomaly is going to be where the pre-boot legions come from, are a product
of the Time Trapper, and is the gateway to the pocket universe earth that the
pocket-universe superboy and supergirl/matrix is from.

Can't wait for the pocket universe Superboy to meet the present
Superboy....."again"

shae
shae

shae X...@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/shaex13/index.html

Invisible Kid

Feb 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/20/98

Sidne G. Ward <sw...@primenet.com> wrote in article
<6cgagh$c...@nntp02.primenet.com>...

> Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> writes:
>
> >Thunder will show up later in the year. She doesn't call herself
"Captain
> >Marvel" because she wanted to be more original than that.

Also it will call down the lightning, either removing or granting her
powers. Also, is this C?

The End is near...

--
Invisible Kid
The Post-Crisis Prophet of Doom

Andrew S Mason

Feb 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/20/98

Sidne G. Ward wrote:
> nac...@aol.com (Nachro2) writes:
> >Sidne G. Ward (sw...@primenet.com) wrote:
> >> Since Jeka's powers are apparently known, why would any foe
> >> face the Legion without a miniature camera to watch through?
>
> >I don't think every villain would know that.
>
> Perhaps not *every* villain would. I really hope we see at least one
> villain in the next few months doing so, though.
>
> My impression of the scene in the recent date night issue is that the
> scenes from inside the nightclub were broadcast. Surely *some* villain
> would see the show or at least hear about it.

Hmmm ... If a villain was in the same room as Sensor, and was looking at
her through a camcorder, surely the mental illusion would still affect
him 'cause he'd be in range?

Anyway ... she could easily change the image on the scroon by casting an
illusion over it. If you see what I mean.

-------
Andy Mason
-"So Lister was his own father, and Kochanski was his ex-girlfriend and
his mum."
"Aaaaaaah."

Sidne G. Ward

Feb 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/20/98

Andrew S Mason <mas...@ca.man.ac.uk> writes:

>Sidne G. Ward wrote:
>> nac...@aol.com (Nachro2) writes:
>>
>> >I don't think every villain would know that.
>>
>> Perhaps not *every* villain would. I really hope we see at least one
>> villain in the next few months doing so, though.
>>
>> My impression of the scene in the recent date night issue is that the
>> scenes from inside the nightclub were broadcast. Surely *some* villain
>> would see the show or at least hear about it.

>Hmmm ... If a villain was in the same room as Sensor, and was looking at
>her through a camcorder, surely the mental illusion would still affect
>him 'cause he'd be in range?

I'm at work, so I don't have the issue with me, but doesn't the scene in
the nightclub indicate that Condo (or is it someone else?) who's in the
same room sees the snake-Jeka on a monitor?

>Anyway ... she could easily change the image on the scroon by casting an
>illusion over it. If you see what I mean.

*If* she was aware of the camera/monitor setup and *if* whoever was
watching the monitor was in range (whatever that may be).

Sidne Gail Ward
sw...@Primenet.com
Join fellow LSH fans and other r.a.c.ers in Las Vegas from June 11-14!
E-mail me for details.

Terence Chua

Feb 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/21/98

In article <01bd3d9d$ecf9de00$107fabcc@computo>, "Invisible Kid"
<invisi...@lsh.org> wrote:

>Sidne G. Ward <sw...@primenet.com> wrote in article
><6cgagh$c...@nntp02.primenet.com>...
>> Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> writes:
>>
>> >Thunder will show up later in the year. She doesn't call herself
>"Captain
>> >Marvel" because she wanted to be more original than that.
>
>Also it will call down the lightning, either removing or granting her
>powers. Also, is this C?

Hmm. If memory serves, she says "Shazam" rather than "Captain Marvel", but
I could be wrong.

--
----------
Terence Chua <kh...@mbox2.singnet.com.sg>

David J. Snyder

Feb 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/21/98

In article <khaos-21029...@ts900-8915.singnet.com.sg>,

Terence Chua <kh...@mbox2.singnet.com.sg> wrote:

>Hmm. If memory serves, she says "Shazam" rather than "Captain Marvel", but
>I could be wrong.

You are in fact wrong. She says Captain Marvel, as Cap is her Shazam-figure,
her "wizard".

The Cabbage Wielding Angel of Death

Feb 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/21/98

Ronn Blankenship wrote:

> SDelMonte wrote:
> >

> > Jeka and
> > >Lyle's powers do not show up on electronic devices such as cameras.
> >
> > Ah, so they're witches. Or is it genies?
> >

> I thought it was vampires that don't show up in photographs. Or is it
> only mirrors?

> > Tom thinks the Science Police mini, to be released
> > >in June, will have
> > realistic art.
> >
> > You mean small-breasted women, average looking people, wrinkled uniforms, and a
> > sloppy stationhouse?
> >

> And, after two pages of actoin, they will spend the rest of the MS
> sitting at their desks filling out reports, while the criminals walk.

Not if Officer Bibboski gets in. Nobody busts dat guy. He's da best.
Not as good as my fav'rite, Superman but hardly anybody is. (Except for
Comet, but he's just a horse and don't get me started on dat.)

Ronn Blankenship

Feb 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/22/98

SDelMonte wrote:

> Jeka and
> >Lyle's powers do not show up on electronic devices such as cameras.
>
> Ah, so they're witches. Or is it genies?

I thought it was vampires that don't show up in photographs. Or is it
only mirrors?

> Tom thinks the Science Police mini, to be released
> >in June, will have
> realistic art.
>
> You mean small-breasted women, average looking people, wrinkled uniforms, and a
> sloppy stationhouse?

And, after two pages of actoin, they will spend the rest of the MS
sitting at their desks filling out reports, while the criminals walk.

-- Ronn! :)

Remove "NOSPAM." from address to reply.

Don Brinker's *REALLY* Long Lost Evil Twin

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

On 18 Feb 1998 20:56:01 -0700, sw...@primenet.com (Sidne G. Ward)
wrote:

>Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> writes:
>
>>Tom doesn't think that XS would ever want to be named "The Flash".
>

>If Barry Allen was *my* grandfather, you can believe I'd *love* to use the
>name.

Yeah, but remember that Jenni's a teenager. I could easily see her
wanting to make a name for herself rather than sitting firmly in
Barry's shadow...

- Don

ShaeX13

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

>Yeah, but remember that Jenni's a teenager. I could easily see her<BR>
>wanting to make a name for herself rather than sitting firmly in<BR>
>Barry's shadow...<BR>
><BR>
>- Don<BR>

I'm not picking on you in particular Barry, but all of us for forgetting that,
while *we* think of these people as teenagers, and sometimes the writers write
them as such, they are actually *young adults*, and legal enitities unto
themselves. I find it ironic that in the future (much more complicated than
today) that the age of maturity/majority is younger than it is today. The word
"teen-ager" didn't exist until after WWII, because everyone beforehand had
already become adults. Teen-agers were created as the world became more
complicated and adolescence needed to be extended in order to fully mature in
the increasingly complicated society. Today, 50 years later, we have the
Generation X phenom, and many young adults are proscatinating full adulthood to
practically 30, partly because we have to go to school for so damn long to get
a degree that means something, and the boomers are holding us back from
high-paying, responsiblity laden jobs. I don;t know if the future isolationism
and frontier-like conditions of colony planets are what made the interplanetary
common *reduced* to 14 (unless education is accelarated or started earlier).
Yes, it was a Plaht Device to make them adults to justify younger people being
in the position of Legionnaires. But these little overlooks are what make
theorizing about books like the Legion so fun.

Bill Hay

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

In article <19980225011...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, ShaeX13 wrote:
>and frontier-like conditions of colony planets are what made the interplanetary
>common *reduced* to 14 (unless education is accelarated or started earlier).
Well given the existance of a whole moon full of telepaths I wouldn't
be too surprised to see accelerated learning being common.

Also IIRC pre-boot it was implied that employment was an optional extra
rather than a necessity. Most of the work could be handled by robots
and a handful of volunteers.

Don Brinker's *REALLY* Long Lost Evil Twin

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

On 25 Feb 1998 01:13:26 GMT, sha...@aol.com (ShaeX13) wrote:

I said...

>>Yeah, but remember that Jenni's a teenager. I could easily see her<BR>
>>wanting to make a name for herself rather than sitting firmly in<BR>
>>Barry's shadow...<BR>
>><BR>
>>- Don<BR>
>
>I'm not picking on you in particular Barry,

Barry? No Barry here.

>but all of us for forgetting that,
>while *we* think of these people as teenagers, and sometimes the writers write
>them as such, they are actually *young adults*, and legal enitities unto
>themselves.

Sorry, no dice. Legal status and behavior are two vastly different
things. They act like teenagers, hence comparing them to teenagers of
today is perfectly valid. Whether the age of majority is 21, 18, 14,
or whatever has absolutely nothing to do with it.

(Besides, I've known enough people who've fought like hell to get out
of the shadow of a well-known relation to argue that behavior's not
exclusive to teenagers)

- Don