LSH: AOL Chat for 5/28/98: Tom McCraw

1 view

Alex Tam

May 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/29/98

Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) was the guest on America Online's
Legionnaires Chat for Thursday, May 28, 1998. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat
takes place every Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 PM
EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every Thursday in the same area at 10:00 PM
EST. (Keyword: CHAT DC.) Regular guests include Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy,
Jason Armstrong, Ron Boyd and Mike McAvennie.

Thanks to T. Troy McNemar who originated the Legion Chat Reports; so much
of the format of these writeups was derived from his hard work.

DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report. Essentially,
the Legion chats involve about twenty-five fans shouting repeated questions
to the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations may
occur on my part.

SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
info from the more general comments.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: To subscribe to these chat reports, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lsh-chats". To
unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

PLUGS: To subscribe to Lev Kalman's humorous LSH pics, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lev-pics". You'll get a
new cartoon e-mailed to you about once every two weeks.

To browse this fan's STARMAN website, visit
http://users.aol.com/nachro2/starhome.htm

Finally, for all your LSH online needs, check out the Legion of
Super-Resources at http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm

:=========================:

Congratulations to Tom for being nominated again for Best Colorist in this
year's CBG Fan Awards!

Tom is in the midst of coloring #9 in the CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS
hardcover reprint.

Tom wouldn't mind seeing Keith Giffen return for a fill-in sometime.

The Legion books aren't affected by the 30th Century Superman story
currently running in SUPERMAN.

Shorter stories will be featured after the Dark Circle story finishes, and
Tom will remain with both Legion books.

In LSH #106, the Imskians weren't able to shrink or grow while pinched by
Kono's tweezers, because the tweezers emitted an energy that prevented any
size changes.

Tom didn't know why Laurel's hands appeared to show a new power on pg. 20
of LSH #106.

The anomaly subplot is wrapped up in LSH #107.

-- Alex Tam
gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

Mr Reaus

May 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/30/98

Alex Tam wrote:

> :=========================:
>
> Congratulations to Tom for being nominated again for Best Colorist in this
> year's CBG Fan Awards!

Good Luck Tom! You deserve it!

> Tom wouldn't mind seeing Keith Giffen return for a fill-in sometime.

::shudder:: Only as writer or plotter I hope. Giffen's "mature" work
has the distinction of being the only work I've ever seen on the Legion
worse than Armstrong's.

> The Legion books aren't affected by the 30th Century Superman story
> currently running in SUPERMAN.

If the Big "S" is running around in the 30th Century... it should at
least be mentioned in the Legion books. I don't recall having seen word
one about him being there yet though.

> In LSH #106, the Imskians weren't able to shrink or grow while pinched by
> Kono's tweezers, because the tweezers emitted an energy that prevented any
> size changes.
>
> Tom didn't know why Laurel's hands appeared to show a new power on pg. 20
> of LSH #106.

I noticed that too, and on the last page her hands were HUGE!! I thought
maybe something was up at first... but then I remembered who drew the
thing, and it all made sense. This issue was easily Jason's best so far,
but it's still way to little... way to late! These continuing little
artistic errors are starting to annoy me. Where the hell is Mike? I
thought as editor, he was supposed to be involved and stop things like
that from happening. (or have I misunderstood what the editor does?)

> The anomaly subplot is wrapped up in LSH #107.

I wonder...

--
Tim
aka Bl...@aol.com

----------====================

...When I learned the truth about the Legion, I joined their ranks,
seeking the truth about myself.
...Instead, it only grew further from my grasp.
...I am silicon trapped among carbon.
Blok - LSH V.3 #55

David J. Snyder

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In article <357002...@nospam.aol.com>,

Mr Reaus <Blok_outpost@allon_aol.com> wrote:

>> The Legion books aren't affected by the 30th Century Superman story
> currently running in SUPERMAN.
>
>If the Big "S" is running around in the 30th Century... it should at
>least be mentioned in the Legion books. I don't recall having seen word
>one about him being there yet though.

The Superman 30th Century story is pretty clearly not
taking place in the Legion's 30th Century, but in some kind
of artificial construct 30th Century.

-Dave
--
"I was planning to die like a man, but since you're changing the
rules, I have no choice but to panic like a little girl."

The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

It was a dark and stormy Sat, 30 May 1998 08:56:37 -0400. Suddenly,
Alex Tam posted:

djtnxfg

ynhgbv

> In LSH #106, the Imskians weren't able to shrink or grow while pinched by
> Kono's tweezers, because the tweezers emitted an energy that prevented any
> size changes.

Auraflux?

NORGFAN

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

This may seem like a weird question, but there's a reason I'm asking.

Were first names ever given for Jan's parents?

Dale Hicks

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

NORGFAN <nor...@aol.com> wrote in article <199806021957...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

> This may seem like a weird question, but there's a reason I'm asking.
>
> Were first names ever given for Jan's parents?

Tarn (pop) and Garra (mom)

--
Roman Numeral One icono...@mail1.surfnet1.net

SDelMonte

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <3.0.1.32.1998052...@pop.intergate.bc.ca>, Alex Tam
<gol...@intergate.bc.ca> writes:

>Congratulations to Tom for being nominated again for Best Colorist in this
>year's CBG Fan Awards!

Which of coruse implies that no other LSH nominations surfaced. I liked it
better when we just voted, period.

>Tom is in the midst of coloring #9 in the CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS
>hardcover reprint.
>

>Tom wouldn't mind seeing Keith Giffen return for a fill-in sometime.

Only if he brings a scripter with him. I still like his stuff, but he also
still can't write scripts.

>The Legion books aren't affected by the 30th Century Superman story
>currently running in SUPERMAN.

Alas, neither is Superman.

>Shorter stories will be featured after the Dark Circle story finishes, and
>Tom will remain with both Legion books.

Implying that Roger and/or Tom P. might not?

>In LSH #106, the Imskians weren't able to shrink or grow while pinched by
>Kono's tweezers, because the tweezers emitted an energy that prevented any
>size changes.

Or maybe it just hurts a lot to be tweezed.

>Tom didn't know why Laurel's hands appeared to show a new power on pg. 20
>of LSH #106.
>

>The anomaly subplot is wrapped up in LSH #107.

I'm wondering if the anomaly is less a subplot than a sub-thought, cast upon
the waters and then sunk too soon.

Simon DelMonte
"Revenge is a dish best served with pinto beans and muffins." - Armando
Guttierez

Sidne G. Ward

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

sdel...@aol.com (SDelMonte) writes:

>>Congratulations to Tom for being nominated again for Best Colorist in this
>>year's CBG Fan Awards!

>Which of coruse implies that no other LSH nominations surfaced. I liked it
>better when we just voted, period.

Actually that's still the way that the CBG Fan Awards work. The ballot is
printed in the CBG and subscribers (or those that pick the issue up at the
newsstand) are free to fill in any creator, comic, etc. that fits the
criteria for each category.

CBG tallies all the votes, then releases a list of "nominations" (their
term) in each category. These aren't true nominees, but simply the top
vote-getters in each category. At this point whoever tallied the votes at
the CBG knows who won, but the winners aren't announced until the actual
awards ceremony. Then the results are printed in an issue of the CBG.
IIRC, the awards ceremony will be at Heroes Con in early July.

So Tom McCraw has already won the award for best colorist or not. He (and
we) will have to wait another month to find out, though.

The only other LSH-related "nomination" is the LSH Archive #7 for the
reprint/graphic novel category.

Sidne Gail Ward
sw...@primenet.com
Join fellow LSH fans and other r.a.c.ers in Las Vegas from June 11-14!
For details see: http://www.primenet.com/~sward/saturngirl/lsh/lsg2.htm

Ben Weiss

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Dale Hicks wrote:
> NORGFAN <nor...@aol.com> wrote in article [accidentally snipped]:

> > Were first names ever given for Jan's parents?
>
> Tarn (pop) and Garra (mom)

...Which makes me hope that Trom gave up the custom of having wives take
their husbands' surnames. I wouldn't want to go through life as Garra
Arrah.
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

Danny Miller

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

In article <3574E8...@earthlink.net>, benw...@earthlink.net <Ben
Weiss> wrote:

Ditto. And on that note, makes you wonder what Ultra Boy called his
mother. "Ma Nah" brings some eerie connotations to those of us who grew up
with "Sesame Street", especially if Jo calls his mother twice....

--
Do you have the time / To listen to me whine / About nothing and everything
all at once? -- Green Day, "Basket Case"

WildCard

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

In article <damiller-ya023180...@nntp.bu.edu>,

Danny Miller <dami...@bu.edu> wrote:

>Ditto. And on that note, makes you wonder what Ultra Boy called his
>mother. "Ma Nah" brings some eerie connotations to those of us who grew up
>with "Sesame Street", especially if Jo calls his mother twice....

Must have been after my time. I watched Sesame Street when it first started
(and yes, I remember Mr. Looper, I mean Mr. Hooper :) Care to clue us old
folks in on the "Ma Nah Ma Nah" joke?

WildCard (so when does Nan Noo Nan Noo make it's return?)
--
_ __ _ __ | I see the girls walk by dressed in
' ) / // / / ) / | their summer clothes, I have to turn

Danny Miller

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

In article <6l6jmt$io4$1...@hiram.io.com>, wild...@dillinger.io.com
(WildCard) wrote:

> In article <damiller-ya023180...@nntp.bu.edu>, Danny
> Miller <dami...@bu.edu> wrote:
> >
> >Ditto. And on that note, makes you wonder what Ultra Boy called his
> >mother. "Ma Nah" brings some eerie connotations to those of us who grew
> >up with "Sesame Street", especially if Jo calls his mother twice....
>
> Must have been after my time. I watched Sesame Street when it first
> started (and yes, I remember Mr. Looper, I mean Mr. Hooper :) Care to
> clue us old folks in on the "Ma Nah Ma Nah" joke?

The joke's like this -- there's a *real* old song from "Sesame Street,"
where some random, nameless Muppet, with two female Muppet backup singers,
sings as follows: "RANDOM MUPPET: Mah-Nah Mah-Nah! BACKUP MUPPETS: (Doo
Dooooo Doo Doo-Doo)" over and over again. Let's just say I think it'd be
rather unnerving for Ultra Boy to yell, "Ma Nah! Ma Nah!"; there should be
a caption "(Doo Dooooo Doo Doo-Doo)" right under it. :)

--
Do you have the time / To listen to me whine / About nothing and everything
all at once? -- Green Day, "Basket Case"

Danny Miller, the sig says it all... :)
dami...@bu.edu

Bard Sinister

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

Danny Miller wrote:
> In article <6l6jmt$io4$1...@hiram.io.com>, wild...@dillinger.io.com
> (WildCard) wrote:
> > Must have been after my time. I watched Sesame Street when it first
> > started (and yes, I remember Mr. Looper, I mean Mr. Hooper :) Care to
> > clue us old folks in on the "Ma Nah Ma Nah" joke?
> The joke's like this -- there's a *real* old song from "Sesame Street,"
> where some random, nameless Muppet, with two female Muppet backup singers,
> sings as follows: "RANDOM MUPPET: Mah-Nah Mah-Nah! BACKUP MUPPETS: (Doo
> Dooooo Doo Doo-Doo)" over and over again. Let's just say I think it'd be
> rather unnerving for Ultra Boy to yell, "Ma Nah! Ma Nah!"; there should be
> a caption "(Doo Dooooo Doo Doo-Doo)" right under it. :)

I couldn't figure out what you were talking about until that
explination... I always figured it was spelled 'Mununumuh' or something
like that. Once I figured out what you were talking about I nearly bust
a gut laughing. I actually found out about a year ago while listening
to Dr. Demento that that song is not original to the Muppets- they got
it from the soundtrack of some XXX- film.
Are you sure that routine is from Sesame Street? I thought it
was on the Muppet Show.
ObLSH: Rimbor seems like the most likely planet we've seen so
far for parents to use songs from XXX films as lullibyes.

Eric Gimlin

Todd VerBeek, gwm

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

My pal Danny Miller said:
>The joke's like this -- there's a *real* old song from "Sesame Street,"
>where some random, nameless Muppet, with two female Muppet backup singers,
>sings as follows: "RANDOM MUPPET: Mah-Nah Mah-Nah! BACKUP MUPPETS: (Doo
>Dooooo Doo Doo-Doo)" over and over again. Let's just say I think it'd be
>rather unnerving for Ultra Boy to yell, "Ma Nah! Ma Nah!"; there should be
>a caption "(Doo Dooooo Doo Doo-Doo)" right under it. :)

Oh, you mean the "Menomenah" "Bee Beee Bebeebee" routine!
You spelled it wrong! {grin}

Cheers, Todd
--
"On the internet, everyone knows you're an ass."

plaid lad!

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

Danny Miller wrote in message ...

>The joke's like this -- there's a *real* old song from "Sesame Street,"
>where some random, nameless Muppet, with two female Muppet backup singers,
>sings as follows: "RANDOM MUPPET: Mah-Nah Mah-Nah! BACKUP MUPPETS: (Doo
>Dooooo Doo Doo-Doo)" over and over again. Let's just say I think it'd be
>rather unnerving for Ultra Boy to yell, "Ma Nah! Ma Nah!"; there should be
>a caption "(Doo Dooooo Doo Doo-Doo)" right under it. :)

well...

'c' is for cookie... and that's good enough for me...

-plaid lad!-
cookie, cookie, cookie starts with 'c'..!

SDelMonte

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

In article <3577b...@iorich.phonet.com>, "plaid lad!" <plai...@mailcity.com>
writes:

>well...
>
>'c' is for cookie... and that's good enough for me...
>
>-plaid lad!-
>cookie, cookie, cookie starts with 'c'..!

No. "C is for Colu, and Colu is for me, C is for Colu, and Colu is for me, C
is for Colu, and C is for me, Colu, Colu, Colu starts with." Which is only one
of the songs on "Brainiac 5.1 Sings the songs of Sesame Street," which
naturally features "It's Not Easy Being Green."

Simon DelMonte
"You can't go home again. But apparently you can shop there." - Martin Q.
Blank, "Grosse Pointe Blank"

Ben Weiss

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

Bard Sinister wrote:

> I couldn't figure out what you were talking about until that
> explination... I always figured it was spelled 'Mununumuh' or something
> like that.

I can't remember where, but I've seen a songbook or something with the
"official" spelling. IIRC, it's "Mahna Mahna."
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org
Still can't remember how to spell Kono's v4 swear word

WildCard

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

In article <357a68f9...@news.newsguy.com>,

Todd VerBeek, gwm <ver...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>My pal Danny Miller said:
>>The joke's like this -- there's a *real* old song from "Sesame Street,"
>>where some random, nameless Muppet, with two female Muppet backup singers,
>>sings as follows: "RANDOM MUPPET: Mah-Nah Mah-Nah! BACKUP MUPPETS: (Doo
>>Dooooo Doo Doo-Doo)" over and over again.

Ah! The Banana Song! I'll spare everyone my singing (or what I dare
to call singing :)

Thanks for saving my sanity.

>Oh, you mean the "Menomenah" "Bee Beee Bebeebee" routine!
>You spelled it wrong! {grin}

Amazing. We all spell it differently. My spelling goes:

Bananana! Doo Doooo Doo-Doo-Doo! You get the hint.

Ah, such fond memories....

WildCard

monty...@hotmail.com

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

nor...@aol.com (NORGFAN) wrote:

> This may seem like a weird question, but there's a reason I'm asking.
>
> Were first names ever given for Jan's parents?

Actually that's not weird, what's weird is that I keep forgetting that Jan is
still on the team. Wait, that not weird either...that's really, really sad.

Monty

<It's characters like this that make me resent those like Monstress. Still,
it has been nice to see that she hasn't appeared in two issues...obviously
conspiring with the Khunds & the AP...>

WildCard

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

First it was the Rimborian song "Mahnanana", then it was B 5.1 singing
"C is for Colu" and "It's Not Easy Being Green", and now it's "Rubber
Durlan" and the interlac version of the alphabet song! I can't wait
to see what someone's going to do with "I Love Trash".

At this rate the next LSH mini-series should be Sesame Street 2997.

WildCard (missing those sunny days of his past)

Todd VerBeek, gwm

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

My pal WildCard said:
>First it was the Rimborian song "Mahnanana", then it was B 5.1 singing
>"C is for Colu" and "It's Not Easy Being Green", and now it's "Rubber
>Durlan" and the interlac version of the alphabet song! I can't wait
>to see what someone's going to do with "I Love Trash".

A version of that is sung (at 3600 beats/second) by XS as "I Love Flash".

Ronn Blankenship

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

Ben Weiss wrote:

> Bard Sinister wrote:
>
> > I couldn't figure out what you were talking about until that
>
> > explination... I always figured it was spelled 'Mununumuh' or
> something
> > like that.
>
> I can't remember where, but I've seen a songbook or something with the
>
> "official" spelling. IIRC, it's "Mahna Mahna."

And, as I just remembered today, when Sandra Bullock appeared on the
short-lived "Muppets Tonight," she joined them for a version of the song
which substituted for "Mahna Mahna" the word "Phenomena." (Try it. It
does work there!)

-- Ronn! :)

Remove "NOSPAM." from address to reply.

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

Previously, wild...@dillinger.io.com (WildCard) wrote:

>I can't wait
>to see what someone's going to do with "I Love Trash".

Sounds like an Element Lad song to me.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"Kconk eerht semit no eht gniliec fi uoy tnaw em . . . ."

Trailsong

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. wrote:

> Previously, wild...@dillinger.io.com (WildCard) wrote:
> >I can't wait to see what someone's going to do with "I Love Trash".
> Sounds like an Element Lad song to me.

Of course, there's always the popular tunes "The Rainbow Kinetix" and XS' version
of "Movin' Right Along" from the Muppet Movie...

--Trailsong, Obscure Pop Culture Reference Lad

WildCard

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

In article <357c4526....@news.newsguy.com>,

Todd VerBeek, gwm <ver...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>A version of that is sung (at 3600 beats/second) by XS as "I Love Flash".

Thanks, Todd. I really had run into a mental block on this one.

WildCard

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

Previously, Trailsong <tra...@dataplusnet.com> wrote:

> Of course, there's always the popular tunes "The Rainbow Kinetix" and XS' version
>of "Movin' Right Along" from the Muppet Movie...

Not to mention Triad's version of "I Hope That Something Better Comes
Along."

Word has it that M'Onel and the producer nearly came to blows when M'On was
asked to sing "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday."

> --Trailsong, Obscure Pop Culture Reference Lad

MUPPET MOVIE is obscure?

SDelMonte

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

In article <6li13h$d...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>, Ronn Blankenship
<ronn.bla...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>And, as I just remembered today, when Sandra Bullock appeared on the
>short-lived "Muppets Tonight," she joined them for a version of the song
>which substituted for "Mahna Mahna" the word "Phenomena." (Try it. It
>does work there!)

I always thought it was "phenomenon" when I was a kid (I was precocious). Then
I thought it was munumunuh. Now, as a adult LSH fan, it's clearly saying
"Mon-El, Mon-El."

Trailsong

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. wrote:

> Word has it that M'Onel and the producer nearly came to blows when M'On was asked to
> sing "I'm Going to Go Back There Someday."

And it got even stranger when they asked Proty to help with "Rubber Duckie"...

--Trailsong, thinking this thread can only go from bard to verse

plaid lad!

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

Todd VerBeek, gwm wrote in message <357c4526....@news.newsguy.com>...

>My pal WildCard said:
>>First it was the Rimborian song "Mahnanana", then it was B 5.1 singing
>>"C is for Colu" and "It's Not Easy Being Green", and now it's "Rubber

>>Durlan" and the interlac version of the alphabet song! I can't wait

>>to see what someone's going to do with "I Love Trash".
>

>A version of that is sung (at 3600 beats/second) by XS as "I Love Flash".

and it's a *bitch* to keep step to on the dance floor.

-plaid lad!-
now there's a forbidden dance..!

plaid lad!

Jun 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/12/98

Trailsong wrote in message <357F47A0...@dataplusnet.com>...

> --Trailsong, thinking this thread can only go from bard to verse

oh, look. narns! hmm... looks like a squad of 'em.

and what's that they're carrying..? looks like... ba--

*WHAM*

*WHACK*

*WHAM*

*WHAM*

*WHACK*

-plaid lad!-
them narns have been busy...

pyth...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

In article <3578E3...@earthlink.net>,

benw...@earthlink.net wrote:

> Bard Sinister wrote:
>
> > I couldn't figure out what you were talking about until that
> > explination... I always figured it was spelled 'Mununumuh' or something
> > like that.
>
> I can't remember where, but I've seen a songbook or something with the
> "official" spelling.

<Sigh.>
Ben. You would.... ;-)

> IIRC, it's "Mahna Mahna."

Invaluable piece of information gleaned from Ben's Muppet Show/Sesame Street
Song book, no doubt. >:-) And yet, you *still* can't remember how to spell
Kono's cuss word? I see a definate skew in your mentality, here, Benny-boy.
>;-)

~ tracy

pyth...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

In article <357d7bba...@news.supernews.com>,

tro...@indirect.com (T. Troy McNemar, Esq.) wrote:

> Previously, wild...@dillinger.io.com (WildCard) wrote:
>
> >I can't wait
> >to see what someone's going to do with "I Love Trash".
>
> Sounds like an Element Lad song to me.

Well, he was depicted sitting in a heap of metal scrap that just happened to
be lying around in the LSH HQ that time. Btw, do you think the Coluan's have
enough applied science for the SleepNet, Planet Hell, the Amazing
Fold-Up-City, *and* Colu Cola? Isn't that gonna be on the Brainy CD? I can
hear it now. Singers: "Always Colu Cola." Brainy: "E equals MC squared."

pyth...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/2/98

In article <6l9i0c$ij4$1...@hiram.io.com>,
wild...@dillinger.io.com (WildCard) wrote:

> In article <357a68f9...@news.newsguy.com>,

> Todd VerBeek, gwm <ver...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> >My pal Danny Miller said:
> >>
> >>The joke's like this -- there's a *real* old song from "Sesame Street,"
> >>where some random, nameless Muppet, with two female Muppet backup
> >>singers, sings as follows: "RANDOM MUPPET: Mah-Nah Mah-Nah!
> >>BACKUP MUPPETS: (Doo Dooooo Doo Doo-Doo)" over and over again.

Okay. Stop it. I'm getting a tick.
Why can't you sadists just do fingernails on a chalkboard instead?

> Ah! The Banana Song! I'll spare everyone my singing (or what I dare
> to call singing :)

Okay. The what? The "banana" song? No. There was no banana in that song. How
do I know? Because I have every bloody word, every discrete sound of that
God-forsaken ditty-from-Hell's-armpit permanently etched in my brain, and
like a car-crash I can't look away, just like when I was a wee, curly-headed
little girl, that's how.

> Thanks for saving my sanity.

What about *my* sanity? :-(

> >Oh, you mean the "Menomenah" "Bee Beee Bebeebee" routine!
> >You spelled it wrong! {grin}

Look here, it has *nothing* to do with spelling. If you played that thing on
a digereedoo, or whatever those things are called, it would remain
*excruciatingly* recognizable.

> Amazing. We all spell it differently. My spelling goes:

My brother sang that song for yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaars when we were little.
Brrr. >:-(

> Bananana! Doo Doooo Doo-Doo-Doo! You get the hint.

Shut. Up.
You have *soiled* the Usenet.
Bad Wildcard!

> Ah, such fond memories....

:-|

angusma...@hotmail.com

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

pyth...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> wild...@dillinger.io.com (WildCard) wrote:
> > Todd VerBeek, gwm <ver...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> Okay. Stop it. I'm getting a tick.
> Why can't you sadists just do fingernails on a chalkboard instead?
>
> > Ah! The Banana Song! I'll spare everyone my singing (or what I dare
> > to call singing :)
>
> Okay. The what? The "banana" song? No. There was no banana in that song. How
> do I know? Because I have every bloody word, every discrete sound of that
> God-forsaken ditty-from-Hell's-armpit permanently etched in my brain, and
> like a car-crash I can't look away, just like when I was a wee, curly-headed
> little girl, that's how.

Ooh, nice rant. :)

> > Thanks for saving my sanity.
>
> What about *my* sanity? :-(
>
> > >Oh, you mean the "Menomenah" "Bee Beee Bebeebee" routine!
> > >You spelled it wrong! {grin}
>
> Look here, it has *nothing* to do with spelling. If you played that thing on
> a digereedoo, or whatever those things are called, it would remain
> *excruciatingly* recognizable.
>
> > Amazing. We all spell it differently. My spelling goes:
>
> My brother sang that song for yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaars when we were little.
> Brrr. >:-(
>
> > Bananana! Doo Doooo Doo-Doo-Doo! You get the hint.
>
> Shut. Up.
> You have *soiled* the Usenet.
> Bad Wildcard!

The funny thing is, I saw him discussing the same song on alt.callahans
while I was lurking there. Everyone knows the song. It is all over the
place! :)

> > Ah, such fond memories....
>
> :-|

I don't find them to be that bad. :)

Angus

Peter B. Juul

Jul 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/3/98

pyth...@my-dejanews.com writes:

> Well, he was depicted sitting in a heap of metal scrap that just happened to
> be lying around in the LSH HQ that time. Btw, do you think the Coluan's have
> enough applied science for the SleepNet, Planet Hell, the Amazing
> Fold-Up-City, *and* Colu Cola? Isn't that gonna be on the Brainy CD? I can
> hear it now. Singers: "Always Colu Cola." Brainy: "E equals MC squared."

That actually fits the "The birds will always sing" coke-theme.

"E equals MC squared,
E equals MC squared,
As long as there is thirst,
E equals MC squared,
When I log out of SleepNet,
There's always the one,
Hell or Fold-Up-City,
always Colu Cola."

--
o.-.o Thus spoke Peter Juul, The RockBear, Middle Weirdo of RABOC.
((^)) #include <std.disclaimer> Holder of Past Knowledge O-

Ben Weiss

Jul 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/4/98

pyth...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I wonder if Lyle or Brainy can sing. I mean, there's generally speculation
> about instruments that the LSHers might play, and a couple of times, offline
> at least, I've haggled with friends over what LSHer could carry a tune, but
> I've never seen an extensive discussion of which *guy* could sing before.

My memory is that most teenage boys *can't* carry a tune--changing
voices and all that. My money would be on M'onel, who's had plenty of
time to practice. :) (Of course, Jan was probably a choirboy, but I'm
sure his voice is in mid-change right about "now.")
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

pyth...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/4/98

In article <6nhubq$8ug$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

angusma...@hotmail.com wrote:

> pyth...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
> > wild...@dillinger.io.com (WildCard) wrote:
<snip>

> > Okay. Stop it. I'm getting a tick.
> > Why can't you sadists just do fingernails on a chalkboard instead?
> >
> > > Ah! The Banana Song! I'll spare everyone my singing (or what I dare
> > > to call singing :)
> >
> > Okay. The what? The "banana" song? No. There was no banana in that > > song. How
> > do I know? Because I have every bloody word, every discrete sound of that
> > God-forsaken ditty-from-Hell's-armpit permanently etched in my brain, and
> > like a car-crash I can't look away, just like when I was a wee, curly-headed
> > little girl, that's how.
>
> Ooh, nice rant. :)

Hey, there's nothing more insideous than planting the possible thought in
Jeff Moy's head to put the God-forsaken cast of the muppets on panel in the
background of some scene or other. *Particularly* when you relate the whole
thing to that, that *travesty*. >:-p

<snip>

> > > Bananana! Doo Doooo Doo-Doo-Doo! You get the hint.
> >
> > Shut. Up.
> > You have *soiled* the Usenet.
> > Bad Wildcard!
>
> The funny thing is, I saw him discussing the same song on alt.callahans
> while I was lurking there. Everyone knows the song. It is all over the
> place! :)

LSH fans, this is your *forum*!!! Stop! Lurking! Vote the Triad for ... but I
supposed you've heard me say that before, huh? :-)

Are you advising me it's time to get offline until the Unholy furor dies
down? :-) In the meantime, I *curse* that song! Ppt-ppt-ppt! <----ritual
spittle. God help us if Gonzo the alien turns up on panel pawing Lu-Purple
over this. I. Will. Explode. Jeff could not hide far enough away to miss the
sonic boom of my heading southward for a little chat. (And Jeff, he's such a
cute, shy, retiring little poppet, too. Poor lil' thing!) >:-)

> > > Ah, such fond memories....
> >
> > :-|
>
> I don't find them to be that bad. :)

<twitch>

~ tracy.

pyth...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/5/98

In article <359DE1...@earthlink.net>,

benw...@earthlink.net wrote:

> pyth...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
> > I wonder if Lyle or Brainy can sing. I mean, there's generally speculation
> > about instruments that the LSHers might play, and a couple of times, offline
> > at least, I've haggled with friends over what LSHer could carry a tune, but
> > I've never seen an extensive discussion of which *guy* could sing before.
>
> My memory is that most teenage boys *can't* carry a tune--changing
> voices and all that.

I'm thinking that might not hold true for all alien races everywhere, though,
and, if you ask me, I would probably list absolute/perfect pitch as another
of Brainy's innumberable talents. >:-D

> My money would be on M'onel, who's had plenty of
> time to practice. :)

Yeah, yeah. I'm sure most people picture M'on as having a great alto voice
capable of much boomage when need be. But I really don't. M'on I would expect
to have a rather average, normal guy voice if I met him. He seems to be sort
of the normal guy caught in extraordinary circumstances type to me.

> (Of course, Jan was probably a choirboy, but I'm
> sure his voice is in mid-change right about "now.")

I'm not. But yeah, Jan is choirboy-esque. :-) Spreaking of which, if the
Coluan's still have a 600 odd year life span, who knows how their puberty
would run. The body's resources would almost have to be divided up into
packets and shared out differently to help the body support life for that
long. And if the males and females are fertile for that long of a period, and
Coluan reproductive development proceeds apace of humanity's can you
*imagine* the population boom? Lots of questions there.

~ tracy (Happy belated 4th of July to the overwhelming number of Americans
running around in here!!! YAY!!!)

angusma...@hotmail.com

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

pyth...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> angusma...@hotmail.com wrote:
>

> Hey, there's nothing more insideous than planting the possible thought in
> Jeff Moy's head to put the God-forsaken cast of the muppets on panel in the
> background of some scene or other. *Particularly* when you relate the whole
> thing to that, that *travesty*. >:-p

A Muppets and Legion crossover? That would be great! Who do I have to
pay to make this happen? :) Could you imagine Brainy trying to work with
the Muppets around? He'd bless getting back to only having Legionnaires
distracting him.

> > The funny thing is, I saw him discussing the same song on alt.callahans
> > while I was lurking there. Everyone knows the song. It is all over the
> > place! :)
>
> LSH fans, this is your *forum*!!! Stop! Lurking! Vote the Triad for ... but I
> supposed you've heard me say that before, huh? :-)

Does that mean that we can keep discussing the song, and keep getting
it stuck in your head? I'm game. ;)
Speaking of Triad (who I'd have no problem with as leader)... I was
watching the Wimbledon women's doubles finals, and for some reason thought
that Martina Hingis would make a good Triad. She seems to be always smiling,
has the cutest dimples, and is a teenager.

> Are you advising me it's time to get offline until the Unholy furor dies
> down? :-) In the meantime, I *curse* that song! Ppt-ppt-ppt! <----ritual
> spittle.

You just asked me to stop lurking... Does this mean that you don't
want me to keep talking about the dreaded song?

> God help us if Gonzo the alien turns up on panel pawing Lu-Purple
> over this. I. Will. Explode. Jeff could not hide far enough away to miss the
> sonic boom of my heading southward for a little chat. (And Jeff, he's such a
> cute, shy, retiring little poppet, too. Poor lil' thing!) >:-)

As long as the sonic boom goes south, I have no worry. So I vote for
the crossover. We do need some alien races don't we? Hasn't Gonzo always
been classified as an 'it' or an 'other'? A whole planet of Gonzos. Imagine
the orchestra you could form.

> <twitch>

I expect that there will be a few more of these after this message.

Angus

WildCard

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

<angusma...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> pyth...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>>
>> Okay. The what? The "banana" song? No. There was no banana in that song. How
>> do I know? Because I have every bloody word, every discrete sound of that
>> God-forsaken ditty-from-Hell's-armpit permanently etched in my brain, and
>> like a car-crash I can't look away, just like when I was a wee, curly-headed
>> little girl, that's how.
>
> Ooh, nice rant. :)

Seconded. I amy not agree with it, but it is a nice rant.

>> Shut. Up.
>> You have *soiled* the Usenet.
>> Bad Wildcard!

I'm not the bad WildCard! The bad WildCard is my evil twin Skippy!
I swear! :)

> The funny thing is, I saw him discussing the same song on alt.callahans
>while I was lurking there. Everyone knows the song. It is all over the
>place! :)

I always thought it was strange how the same topic came up on both
groups at the same time. I almost accidently cross-posted, but I
caught myself just in time (alt.callahans thread have the tendancy to
diviate unexpectly, and take any cross-posted grpous along with them
for the ride).

Anyways, I'll bow out of this thread. I've done enough mental damage
for one day.

WildCard (Beware the Penguin: Doo-bee doo-bee-doo!)

The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

It was a dark and stormy Mon, 06 Jul 1998 04:31:56 GMT. Suddenly,
angusma...@hotmail.com posted:

> A Muppets and Legion crossover? That would be great! Who do I have to
> pay to make this happen?

The following was taken from the archives of LSH-L (found at
mlists.com)...
----

From: "The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel" <EDS...@Umoncton.Ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 18:45:50 AST4ADT
Subject: LSH: LSH 87 - a libretto

Some of you may have noticed my habit to fill up spoiler space with
versions of various songs. Others, noticing that these Spoiler Songs
are incredibly detailed and/or issue-specific, may wonder if I don't
devote too much time to lyric-writing. It's basically a mind-game to
keep me from getting bored during manual labour, is all.

Unfortunately, when LSH 87 came out, my local system crashed.

Then I had an exam.

Then the system crashed again. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

I'm not gonna forego posting my libretto just because it's no longer
current and most of the comments have already been made, though.

Here we go...
- --------------
This spoiler space opens backstage at the LSH Theatre, in a dressing
room. Boston Brand is sitting in front of a makeup mirror, carefully
sanding his cheekbones, when Ti'Julk "Gates" Mr'Asz scurries in.

GATES: Mister Brand! Mister Brand!

BRAND: Yes?

GATES: The UP Council wants to meet with you right away! Something to
do with shipping rights to Bismoll!

BRAND: I think you want RJ Brande. Me, I'm _Boston_ Brand.

GATES: Oh. Right. Sorry. I have a message for you too... (pulls out
an Omnicom from a belt pouch, passes it to Brand, who reads it.)

BRAND: Uh-oh.

GATES: Uh-oh? Uh-oh what?

BRAND: You and the rest of the cast are being unexpectedly called
away, so I'll have to do the whole performance myself.

GATES: I see. Hm. Well... you'll be all right, won't you?

BRAND: Oh yeah. I'm a professional, remember.

GATES: Great. Knock 'em dead. Er, I mean...
- -------
Onstage, RJ Brande pops up in front of a huge, ornate curtain.

BRANDE: Ladies, gentlemen and miscellaneous: it's the LSH, with
special guest star Boston Brand! Yaaaaaaaaaaay!

Raise curtain. Music. Row of Legionnaires dance into view...

LEGIONNAIRES: It's time to put on transsuits,
And wear our rings of flight!
It's time to get things started
With the L S H tonight!

Row of villains dance into view.

VILLAINS: It's time for goofy science,
It's time to fight the fights!
It's time through which we travel
With the L S H tonight!

In the balcony we see Leland McCauley and Winema Wazzo.

WINEMA: Why do they always read it?

LELAND: I'm sure I cannot guess!

WINEMA: It's like some sort of fetish...

LELAND & WINEMA: Upon which they obsess!

In the orchestra pit we see Doctor Mayavale conducting as Brin Londo
goes wild on drums and Sugyn blows a mean little sax...

LEGIONNAIRES: It's time to get things started!

VILLAINS: And now let's get things started!

Dead silence. A hooded figure in a purple cloak turns to the camera.

HOODED FIGURE: It's... _TIME_... to... get things... started...

LEGIONNAIRES and VILLAINS: With the most sensational,
Inspirational
Celebrational,
Legionational!
This... is... what... we... call... the... L... S... H!!!!!!!!

Suddenly, the building explodes. Brainiac 5, safe in a forcefield,
walks out of the debris. He glances at the wreckage.

BRAINIAC 5: Sorry.
------------------------------

WildCard

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

In article <35a2f1f7....@news.unb.ca>,

The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel <eds...@umoncton.ca> wrote:

>The following was taken from the archives of LSH-L (found at
>mlists.com)...

Bravo! Bravo! Encore! Enco-

Wait! That's the pre-boot version of the song! What about the
reboot version (to the tune of Muppets Tonight)?

WildCard (ducking an running fast!)

The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

WildCard wrote:

> The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel <eds...@umoncton.ca> wrote:

>>The following was taken from the archives of LSH-L (found at
>>mlists.com)...

> Bravo! Bravo! Encore! Enco-

Thank you, thank you.

Incidentally, I should point out that I wanted to include, but couldn't
figure out how to incorporate, the phrase "geist of zeit", in reference
to Tinya.

("Get with the geist of zeit"?)

Philip Hedgecoth

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

ELEMENT LAD.

(Just thought his name ought to be somewhere in this thread...for those
of us who are more interested in him than the $&%$# Muppets)

:-)

Ben Weiss

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

Hey, I've contributed to this thread, screen name and all! :)

And given the choice, I'd like to see his name show up in the *comic*.
Or his face. Or...
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

angusma...@hotmail.com

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98

eds...@umoncton.ca (The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel) wrote:
> The following was taken from the archives of LSH-L (found at
> mlists.com)...
> ----
>
> From: "The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel" <EDS...@Umoncton.Ca>
> Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 18:45:50 AST4ADT
> Subject: LSH: LSH 87 - a libretto

[snip]

Thank you. Very inspired. Now what sketches were planned for the
show? (In other words... More, more!) :)

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98

Previously, POHed...@webtv.net (Philip Hedgecoth) wrote:

>ELEMENT LAD.
>
>(Just thought his name ought to be somewhere in this thread...for those
>of us who are more interested in him than the $&%$# Muppets)

Ironically, the muppets appear more often in the Legion titles than Element
Lad.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"S'ti ton lausunu ot eb devol yb enoyna . . . ."
--Zatanna Jones
Favorite comic of the week: BATMAN: GOTHAM ADVENTURES #4
Runner-up: PREACHER #41
LLL!

Ronn Blankenship

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
angusma...@hotmail.com wrote:

> The funny thing is, I saw him discussing the same song on
> alt.callahans
> while I was lurking there. Everyone knows the song. It is all over
> the
> place! :)

So is toenail fungus.

-- Ronn! :)

Remove "NOSPAM." from address to reply.

plaid lad!

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98

Philip Hedgecoth wrote in message
<6873-35A...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...
ELEMENT LAD.

>(Just thought his name ought to be somewhere in this thread...for those
>of us who are more interested in him than the $&%$# Muppets)

as far as thread that won't die, this is fairly benign. this thread could
have turned into a discussion about how minorities aren't properly
represented in the group and ... uh...

D'OH..!

-plaid lad!-

Carmen Williams

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98

Okay, I'll help. Since I have a very *limited* number of post-boot
issues (can we say "Team 20"?) I've got some questions about Jan.
Maybe those'll spark some discussion, you never know.

1) What exactly did Andromeda do to Jan? (I assume it had something
to do with the death of his planet, but details would be nice...)

2) What happened to Jan in the big fight with Mordru?

3) Do we know anything about his life from before Trom was destroyed?

4) Has he *always* acted this spacy??

Carmen W.--still regretting the loss of preboot Jan...

plaid lad!

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. wrote in message
<35b17435....@news.supernews.com>...

[muppets and the development of L* storylines]

>Ironically, the muppets appear more often in the Legion titles than Element
>Lad.

and sadly, muppets have have greater impact, too.

-plaid lad!-
LYLE: 'imra... take Xs, gates, triad, scooter and fozzy the bear to winath
and see if you can find some answers!'

Peter B. Juul

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
"plaid lad!" <plai...@mailcity.com> writes:

> LYLE: 'imra... take Xs, gates, triad, scooter and fozzy the bear to winath
> and see if you can find some answers!'

"XS, run around in circles, while gates teleports fozzy over
there. Fozzy, distract those guys with a couple of bad jokes, while I
get Bunsen-5 and the Invisible Gonzo over here."
^^^^^^^^

Inspired in-joke, I think :-)

Fozzy's jokes? oh... umm.. any ideas?

Edward Mathews

Jul 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/7/98
plaid lad! (plai...@mailcity.com) wrote:
:
: Philip Hedgecoth wrote in message
: <6873-35A...@newsd-153.iap.bryant.webtv.net>...
: ELEMENT LAD.
:
: >(Just thought his name ought to be somewhere in this thread...for those
: >of us who are more interested in him than the $&%$# Muppets)

: as far as thread that won't die, this is fairly benign. this thread could
: have turned into a discussion about how minorities aren't properly
: represented in the group and ... uh...

You mean like "There aren't enough jewish/black lesbian Muppets in the
Legion named Element Lad!"

Ed (wow! I confused me!) Mathews
*****
**-----
* ---
-
http://pages.nyu.edu/~em11

"Not a single homosexual character in any film nominated for an Oscar this
year has a lover or a trick- and that's a pretty high price to pay for
respectability. One can only conclude that the sexless gay character is a
uniquely American phenomenon... taking the sex out of homosexuality
enables the great soft middle of America to heave a sigh of relief- so
easily confused with a murmur of empathy." -Richard Goldstein, The Village
Voice

pyth...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
In article <35A1B7...@earthlink.net>,
benw...@earthlink.net wrote:

> Philip Hedgecoth wrote:
> >
> > ELEMENT LAD.
> >
> > (Just thought his name ought to be somewhere in this thread...for those
> > of us who are more interested in him than the $&%$# Muppets)
> >
> > :-)
>
> Hey, I've contributed to this thread, screen name and all! :)

Keener. >:-)

> And given the choice, I'd like to see his name show up in the *comic*.
> Or his face. Or...

Or what, Ben? Name? Face? What else >;-) are you up for seeing appear?

Philip, to be utterly frank, no one on earth could hate the Muppets more than
I do. Nothing personal against Kermit or anything, but do you remember Gonzo?
Well, I was a very little girl when I first laid eyes on his horrific
mosquito-like visage, and his hideousness chilled my artistic sensitivity
much after the fashion of a googly-eyed bare skull, but worse. Ick. On the
other hand, Gonzo was, and remains, a very well characterised dynamic member
of his cast. Jan, unlike Gonzo, has regrettably become a glorified
paperweight. I grieve.

~ tracy (LLLuornu!!!)

pyth...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
In article <6npjvs$6jp$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
angusma...@hotmail.com wrote:

> pyth...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > angusma...@hotmail.com wrote:
> >

> > Hey, there's nothing more insideous than planting the possible thought in
> > Jeff Moy's head to put the God-forsaken cast of the muppets on panel in the
> > background of some scene or other. *Particularly* when you relate the whole
> > thing to that, that *travesty*. >:-p
>
> A Muppets and Legion crossover? That would be great! Who do I have to
> pay to make this happen? :) Could you imagine Brainy trying to work with
> the Muppets around? He'd bless getting back to only having Legionnaires
> distracting him.

Brainy wold have to work with (hee) Beaker. Oh God. Tenzil and the Swedish
Chef. MAKE IT STOP!!!

> ><snip!>

> > LSH fans, this is your *forum*!!! Stop! Lurking! Vote the Triad for ... but I
> > supposed you've heard me say that before, huh? :-)
>
> Does that mean that we can keep discussing the song, and keep getting
> it stuck in your head? I'm game. ;)

Oh God.... You know if it gets another vote for the girl(s) I have.... I have
to.... Yeesh. I'm starting to suspect you are *not* a good man, Angus. At
all.

> Speaking of Triad (who I'd have no problem with as leader)...

Thanks for the words of support Angus! I hope you give her serious
consideration when the vote comes up! This is *almost* worth the Muppet song.

>I was watching the Wimbledon women's doubles finals, and for some reason >thought that Martina Hingis would make a good Triad. She seems to be always >smiling, has the cutest dimples, and is a teenager.

I've never seen anyone quite right to play the girls myself. They'd have to
be gorgeous in a sophistocated and elegant fashion, and have a look of
distinction, not to mention the *perfect* voice. (It has to range from sharp
Mid, to guiless Amber, right to sultry, sassy Purple.) She must also be
smart, believable, and able to adapt all the mannerisms of Amber, Mid,
Purple, and Lu in totality. That's not a simple act right there.

But, as we are on the topic, Shakira Mebarek is a DEAD RINGER for TINYA
WAZZO, and happens to be an actress as well as *fantastic* Spanish singer!

> > Are you advising me it's time to get offline until the Unholy furor dies
> > down? :-) In the meantime, I *curse* that song! Ppt-ppt-ppt! <----ritual
> > spittle.
>
> You just asked me to stop lurking... Does this mean that you don't
> want me to keep talking about the dreaded song?

<Gulp.>
Er, uh, the Triad for Leader(s)!!! :-)
(Stupid ruddy song!) :-(

> > God help us if Gonzo the alien turns up on panel pawing Lu-Purple
> > over this. I. Will. Explode. Jeff could not hide far enough away to miss the
> > sonic boom of my heading southward for a little chat. (And Jeff, he's such a
> > cute, shy, retiring little poppet, too. Poor lil' thing!) >:-)
>
> As long as the sonic boom goes south, I have no worry.

That so? Where the heck are you then? Nunavut? >;-) I have to go south to go
anywhere but there, Greenland, and Labrador. Speaking of which, how come all
the LSHers come from these temperate worlds? I'd love for Bgtzl to be a
windy, chilly, wintery world.

> So I vote for the crossover.

You are mad. I mean, how bad do we need the Emerald Eye latching on to Miss
Porkloin there? (Still... talk about a perfect fit....)

> We do need some alien races don't we? Hasn't Gonzo always
> been classified as an 'it' or an 'other'? A whole planet of Gonzos. Imagine
> the orchestra you could form.
>
> > <twitch>
>
> I expect that there will be a few more of these after this message.

Angus, I'm beginning to suspect you might be Satan. >:-(

~ tracy (Don't forget! If we all pull together and we *can* vote the Triad
for Leader(s)!!! Let them know her chance has finally come!!!)

pyth...@my-dejanews.com

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
In article <6nqq0d$f9d$1...@hiram.io.com>,
wild...@dillinger.io.com (WildCard) wrote:

> In article <35a2f1f7....@news.unb.ca>,

> The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel <eds...@umoncton.ca> wrote:
> >
> >The following was taken from the archives of LSH-L (found at
> >mlists.com)...
>
> Bravo! Bravo! Encore! Enco-

Bravo?
Profanity!
I am no longer innocent.
Blasphemy. <Sniffle.>

~ tracy (LLLuornu!!!)

angusma...@hotmail.com

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
pyth...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> angusma...@hotmail.com wrote:

> > pyth...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> > >
> > A Muppets and Legion crossover? That would be great! Who do I have to
> > pay to make this happen? :) Could you imagine Brainy trying to work with
> > the Muppets around? He'd bless getting back to only having Legionnaires
> > distracting him.
>
> Brainy wold have to work with (hee) Beaker. Oh God. Tenzil and the Swedish
> Chef. MAKE IT STOP!!!

- How about having the Pigs in Space discover the Legion Outpost?
- Since in the Time Trapper issues, Ayla found Furball to be so cute,
imagine how she'd find Sweetums?
- You could have a Veterinarian's Hospital sketch with Jecka, and some of
the raccoons from Orando.
- Imagine how old Fozzie's jokes would be to the Legionnaires.
- Which Legionnaire could exchange puns with Rowlf?
(And sure to be your favourite!...)
- Poor Luornu...starring with Animal. Imagine his chants of "Woman!" as he
gets to chase her (and her, and her) around.

> Oh God.... You know if it gets another vote for the girl(s) I have.... I have
> to.... Yeesh. I'm starting to suspect you are *not* a good man, Angus. At
> all.

I'm hurt. ;)

> Thanks for the words of support Angus! I hope you give her serious
> consideration when the vote comes up! This is *almost* worth the Muppet song.

<innocently> Now which song was that again?

> >I was watching the Wimbledon women's doubles finals, and for some reason
> >thought that Martina Hingis would make a good Triad. She seems to be
> >always smiling, has the cutest dimples, and is a teenager.
>
> I've never seen anyone quite right to play the girls myself. They'd have to
> be gorgeous in a sophistocated and elegant fashion, and have a look of
> distinction, not to mention the *perfect* voice. (It has to range from sharp
> Mid, to guiless Amber, right to sultry, sassy Purple.) She must also be
> smart, believable, and able to adapt all the mannerisms of Amber, Mid,
> Purple, and Lu in totality. That's not a simple act right there.

Agreed. I can't say that I've ever heard Martina Hingis speak, and
have no idea how she would act, but she just seemed to be having fun, and
she seems to be the only young female tennis player that is likable.

> But, as we are on the topic, Shakira Mebarek is a DEAD RINGER for TINYA
> WAZZO, and happens to be an actress as well as *fantastic* Spanish singer!

I'm sorry, I can't place the name.

> > You just asked me to stop lurking... Does this mean that you don't
> > want me to keep talking about the dreaded song?
>
> <Gulp.>
> Er, uh, the Triad for Leader(s)!!! :-)
> (Stupid ruddy song!) :-(

LOL. (And in re-reading my post, I realized that I should have left the
word "don't" out of what I wrote, or changed the word "keep" to "stop". Glad
to see that you knew what I meant.)

> > >God help us if Gonzo the alien turns up on panel pawing Lu-Purple
> > >over this. I. Will. Explode. Jeff could not hide far enough away to miss
> > >the sonic boom of my heading southward for a little chat. (And Jeff,
> > >he's such a cute, shy, retiring little poppet, too. Poor lil' thing!) >:-)
> >
> > As long as the sonic boom goes south, I have no worry.
>
> That so? Where the heck are you then? Nunavut? >;-) I have to go south to go
> anywhere but there, Greenland, and Labrador.

D'oh! Well, I remembered reading that you were from Canada, but for some
reason I thought that you were in southern Ontario. Hehe. How do you feel
about Canada's Capital? Be willing to spare it in your sonic boom? (And I
know that I am further south than parts of the US.)
Since your sonic boom will probably nail Ottawa, do you think you could
hold off for a month? Then I'll have moved to Calgary, and IIRC that is
roughly about as northerly as southern Labrador... Could that save me? (Or
do I have to go visit my friends up in Dawson City?)

> Speaking of which, how come all the LSHers come from these temperate
> worlds? I'd love for Bgtzl to be a windy, chilly, wintery world.

Maybe all of the worlds have climate control?

> You are mad. I mean, how bad do we need the Emerald Eye latching on to Miss
> Porkloin there? (Still... talk about a perfect fit....)

There you go. A villain for you. :)

> > > <twitch>
> >
> > I expect that there will be a few more of these after this message.
>
> Angus, I'm beginning to suspect you might be Satan. >:-(

Nah, I only work for him. ]:-)

> ~ tracy (Don't forget! If we all pull together and we *can* vote the Triad
> for Leader(s)!!! Let them know her chance has finally come!!!)

I forget. Have they announced when the next election might be taking
place?

Angus

KrytenToo

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
In article <85g1gd4f...@davis.DK.net>, p...@DK.net (Peter B. Juul) writes:

>Fozzy's jokes? oh... umm.. any ideas?

"Hiya hiya hiya! How many Orandians does it take to change an illumination
panel? Two! One to tell the raccoons to do it and one to shed! Wokka
Wokka Wokka!!"

Jeremy B

"Our special tonight is poached 'go to hell'"- Crow T. Robot

Peter B. Juul

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
kryt...@aol.com (KrytenToo) writes:

> >Fozzy's jokes? oh... umm.. any ideas?
>
> "Hiya hiya hiya! How many Orandians does it take to change an illumination
> panel? Two! One to tell the raccoons to do it and one to shed! Wokka
> Wokka Wokka!!"

Woof! :-)

Peter B. Juul

Jul 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/8/98
pyth...@my-dejanews.com writes:

> Brainy wold have to work with (hee) Beaker. Oh God. Tenzil and the Swedish
> Chef. MAKE IT STOP!!!

"Beeker, I need a trans-orbital de-stabilized anti-defermegator on the
double."

"Certainly, Sir Brainiac 5, it is right here. I assume you need a
re-transsector-hyper-magnetized left-hand screwdriver with that?"

"Oh, yes thank you, Beeker. Good thing we got that translator working,
huh?"

Ben Weiss

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
Carmen Williams wrote:

> Okay, I'll help. Since I have a very *limited* number of post-boot
> issues (can we say "Team 20"?) I've got some questions about Jan.
> Maybe those'll spark some discussion, you never know.

This post seems to have my name on it, or at least my screen name...

> 1) What exactly did Andromeda do to Jan? (I assume it had something
> to do with the death of his planet, but details would be nice...)

Well, as you probably know, everyone from Daxam has super-powers when
offworld, but is vulnerable to lead. Daxam had a racist political
faction called the White Triangle, and Andromeda was raised in one of
their settlements; she was sent to join the Legion because of the
Triangle's political clout. The Triangle extended beyond Daxam, and
when a group of Legionnaires stopped some Earth Triangle members from
assaulting an alien, Andromeda let them go. The Trianglers proceeded to
critically injure one of Triad's bodies; when Andromeda, incensed, went
after them, they poisoned her with lead. Brainiac Five cured Andromeda
with an anti-lead serum, but when the leader of the Triangle (Roxxas, a
Daxamite postboot) threatened to send her back to Daxam, Andromeda
turned the serum over to the Triangle. A group of Triangle members
heard about Trom (which had kept its existence secret, for good reason)
through U.P. channels and, emboldened by the serum, wiped out the
population, except for Jan, who was in R.J. Brande's ship manufacturing
an ingredient for the stargates that the Triangle had destroyed. (For
the rest of the story, get L* Annual #2.)

> 2) What happened to Jan in the big fight with Mordru?

Mordru turned him to crystal, but he somehow kept his sentience and
slowly regained his powers. This set off his obsession with
transforming himself.

> 3) Do we know anything about his life from before Trom was destroyed?

We saw about two panels of him on Trom. His father was a
political/religious leader and a friend of R.J. Brande, and Trom was
something of a paradise.

> 4) Has he *always* acted this spacy??

Not initially. It got worse after he joined the LSH and significantly
worse after the fight with Mordru.

> Carmen W.--still regretting the loss of preboot Jan...

Absolutely no argument there!
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

Carmen Williams

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
Ben Weiss wrote:

> Carmen Williams wrote:
<lotsa questions and answers snipped>

> > Carmen W.--still regretting the loss of preboot Jan...
>
> Absolutely no argument there!
> Ben
> eleme...@lsh.org

Thanks, that helps a lot. It's very frustrating to get this stuff only
in bits and pieces...

Now, for the bonus round:

5) Jan is Starfinger, right? Or something. Um, why?

Carmen W.

Ben Weiss

Jul 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/10/98
Carmen Williams wrote:

> Now, for the bonus round:
>
> 5) Jan is Starfinger, right? Or something. Um, why?

Jan went back to Trom to transmute monuments for his people; President
Chu (who the LSH brought down in the classic LSH #80) had him kidnapped
and brainwashed in an attempt to wipe out the LSH. He wore a suit of
armor that resembled the costume of the original Starfinger and that
shot nasty rays out of its fingertips, so people on the newsgroup gave
him the name even though it was never used in the comic. (The original
Starfinger, you'll recall, was a kidnapped and brainwashed Garth.)
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

Carmen Williams

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98

All I can really say about this is...poor Jan. It's hard to decide
whether he's being more mistreated by the writers or by life in general.
Thanks for the info.

Carmen W.