LSH: AOL Chats for 10/13/98 & 10/15/98: Moy & Carlson

Alex Tam

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
Jeff Moy (L* penciller) was the guest on America Online's Legion of
Super-Heroes Chat for Tuesday, October 13, 1998. Jeff and KC Carlson (L*
#66 writer) also attended Legionnaires Chat for Thursday, October 15, 1998.
Legion of Super-Heroes Chat takes place every Tuesday in the DC Comics
Online area of AOL at 6:00 PM EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every
Thursday in the same area at 10:00 PM EST. (Keyword: CHAT DC.) Regular
guests include Tom McCraw, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd and Mike McAvennie.

Thanks to T. Troy McNemar who originated the Legion Chat Reports; so much
of the format of these writeups was derived from his hard work.

DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report. Essentially,
the Legion chats involve about twenty-five fans shouting repeated questions
to the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations may
occur on my part.

SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
info from the more general comments.

SUBSCRIPTIONS: To subscribe to these chat reports, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lsh-chats". To
unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

PLUGS: To subscribe to Lev Kalman's humorous LSH pics, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lev-pics". You'll get
his new cartoons sent to your e-mailbox.

To browse this fan's STARMAN website, visit
http://users.aol.com/nachro2/starhome.htm

Finally, for all your LSH online needs, check out the Legion of
Super-Resources at
http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm

A BIG THANKS: To James Schee for logging Tuesday's chat, and Jim Caldwell
for logging Thursday's session.

:=========================:

Jeff's working on L* #70. His next issue to be published is #67, after
#66's fill-in by Michael Collins.

KC hopes to write more Legion stories, but it's up to current editor Mike
McAvennie to find any suitable opportunities.

Jeff once suggested giving Magno a gambling habit.

Jeff knows that for at least six months, the Fatal Five's Empress won't
find the Emerald Eye.

Jeff explained that he designed an 'S' for Tasmia's costume, thinking she
would be named "Shadow Lass." After he learned her name was "Umbra," he
decided the 'S' was a symbol for darkness on her world.

Jeff hopes that if/when the Legion of Super-Pets show up, they'll use
characters from both Legion teams, including Gates and Sensor. He noted
that they can't use the classic Super-Pets. The Legion splits into two
teams with LSH #110 and L* #67.

Charma is not Lyle's 'C'.

When asked why Zoe has a large closet when she doesn't need one, KC joked
that it's because "she's a girl."

Jeff says that Jan is "kinda spotlighted" in L* #67.

Spoilers and character designs for the Legion's appearance on the SUPERMAN
cartoon can be found at
http://www.batman-superman.com/superman/cmp/legion.html . Thanks to Jason
Bourgeois for the tip.

-- Alex Tam
gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

Kevin Chang

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98

Alex Tam wrote:

> Jeff once suggested giving Magno a gambling habit.

I don't know why I found this really funny but I did. :)

> Jeff knows that for at least six months, the Fatal Five's Empress won't
> find the Emerald Eye.

But I want her to find the Emerald Eye _now_.... *whine* Every moment they're
separated is an episode of personal agony.

> Jeff hopes that if/when the Legion of Super-Pets show up, they'll use
> characters from both Legion teams, including Gates and Sensor.

I really don't get this.

> Charma is not Lyle's 'C'.

Calorie Queen! Calorie Queen!

> When asked why Zoe has a large closet when she doesn't need one, KC joked
> that it's because "she's a girl."

And both she and Violet had to fit in there...

-Kevin

The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
Kevin Chang wrote:

>> When asked why Zoe has a large closet when she doesn't need one, KC joked
>> that it's because "she's a girl."

> And both she and Violet had to fit in there...

Gak.

Chang, you utter bastard.

So... after they got some new outfits... Vi and Zoe came out of the
closet?

T. Troy McNemar

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca>
wrote:

>Jeff's working on L* #70. His next issue to be published is #67, after
>#66's fill-in by Michael Collins.

After Collins' high tongue count, does Jeff feel the need to come back
swinging?

>KC hopes to write more Legion stories, but it's up to current editor Mike
>McAvennie to find any suitable opportunities.

Wow. There's a straight line that you could take in numerous different
directions.

>Jeff once suggested giving Magno a gambling habit.

But they figured that the planned heroin addiction was enough for the poor
boy?

>Jeff knows that for at least six months, the Fatal Five's Empress won't
>find the Emerald Eye.

Look under the bed! It's always hiding under the bed!

>Jeff explained that he designed an 'S' for Tasmia's costume, thinking she
>would be named "Shadow Lass." After he learned her name was "Umbra," he
>decided the 'S' was a symbol for darkness on her world.

I think it's a symbol for
"Stern-You've-Saddled-This-Character-With-A-Goofy-Codename."

>Jeff hopes that if/when the Legion of Super-Pets show up, they'll use
>characters from both Legion teams, including Gates and Sensor.

Will they team up to give Lori her rabies shots?

>He noted that they can't use the classic Super-Pets.

How about Biron the Bowman?

>The Legion splits into two teams with LSH #110 and L* #67.

Are there any disputes about how to divide Legion property?

>Charma is not Lyle's 'C'.

Clearly, a certain Chainsman is Lyle's 'C'.

>When asked why Zoe has a large closet when she doesn't need one, KC joked
>that it's because "she's a girl."

Do they have that kind of closet space on the Outpost?

>Jeff says that Jan is "kinda spotlighted" in L* #67.

I.e., shows up, acts flakey, is disregarded by the other Legionnaires, and
leaves.

>Spoilers and character designs for the Legion's appearance on the SUPERMAN
>cartoon can be found at
>http://www.batman-superman.com/superman/cmp/legion.html .

Ew, Cham is ugly!

--
T. Troy McNemar Tro...@primenet.com
"Etov 'ON' no cer.stra.fs.namrepus."

Kevin Chang

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98

T. Troy McNemar wrote:

You made me look! But I agree.

And Imra's head is HUGE. Not that that's so awful; Kara's head was pretty big,
too. In fact, they kind of look the same. Maybe they share the same head?

Nice outfit, too. I guess the red works better than pink on TV.

-Kevin

Dan McEwen

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
On 16 Oct 1998 10:57:57 GMT, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

>KC hopes to write more Legion stories, but it's up to current editor Mike
>McAvennie to find any suitable opportunities.

I hope to see that, too. These books have definitely not been
improved by his absence.

>Jeff once suggested giving Magno a gambling habit.

Yay. Then Tinya can resent him, right?

>Jeff knows that for at least six months, the Fatal Five's Empress won't
>find the Emerald Eye.

Does that imply that one of them will appear in that timeframe?
Otherwise, why can't she find it off-panel, show up with it, and
recount how she discovered it?

>Jeff hopes that if/when the Legion of Super-Pets show up, they'll use

>characters from both Legion teams, including Gates and Sensor. He noted
>that they can't use the classic Super-Pets. The Legion splits into two

>teams with LSH #110 and L* #67.

I thought the LSP was banned or something like that.

>Jeff says that Jan is "kinda spotlighted" in L* #67.

One panel or two? And does he make sense?

Dan McEwen

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998 12:38:39 +0100, Kevin Chang <kevin...@erols.com>
wrote:

>Alex Tam wrote:

>> Jeff knows that for at least six months, the Fatal Five's Empress won't
>> find the Emerald Eye.
>

>But I want her to find the Emerald Eye _now_.... *whine* Every moment they're
>separated is an episode of personal agony.

Honestly, I think the Empress is the only thing that can save the
postboot Emerald Eye. The Empress is just vicious. I think she'll do
things with it that Mordru never could (at least in part because they
would be willingly bonded). *sigh* It's been *so* wasted.

>> Charma is not Lyle's 'C'.
>

>Calorie Queen! Calorie Queen!

Hmm...will she become Tenzil's aid? ;)

Dan McEwen

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
On Fri, 16 Oct 1998 20:38:39 GMT, Tro...@primenet.com (T. Troy
McNemar) wrote:

>Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca>
>wrote:

>>Jeff explained that he designed an 'S' for Tasmia's costume, thinking she

>>would be named "Shadow Lass." After he learned her name was "Umbra," he
>>decided the 'S' was a symbol for darkness on her world.
>
>I think it's a symbol for
>"Stern-You've-Saddled-This-Character-With-A-Goofy-Codename."

Theoretically, these characters have free will. Tasmia can always
change her name to one that fits the symbol on her costume. Or
Superman could just become Ultraman.

>>He noted that they can't use the classic Super-Pets.
>

>How about Biron the Bowman?

How about Comet? :) Y'know, there is a Comet and Krypto, and I think
Streaky's a demon nowadays. I don't see them problem, really.
Streaky, who reformed after his meeting with Supergirl, grants Krypto
super-powers. Comet already has them. Then they band together to help
the Legion! Simple, really. :)

T. Troy McNemar

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
The postboot Emerald Eye is sentient. It even communicates, at least with
its host (or former host) But if it's already sentient, why does it need
a host at all?

What does a big, magical, nigh-omnipotent, sentient disembodied eye want
out of life, anyway? Visine?

I think the preboot Eye worked better. It was a corrupting influenced to
be feared and respected, but the host was as important a component as the
Eye itself.

Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, fe...@lsh.org (Dan McEwen) wrote:

>Honestly, I think the Empress is the only thing that can save the
>postboot Emerald Eye. The Empress is just vicious. I think she'll do
>things with it that Mordru never could (at least in part because they
>would be willingly bonded). *sigh* It's been *so* wasted.

I agree. And you'd think that this would be the type of host that the Eye
would seek out.

Tim Soholt

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
T. Troy McNemar <Tro...@primenet.com> wrote:

>Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca>
>wrote:

>>Jeff explained that he designed an 'S' for Tasmia's costume, thinking she
>>would be named "Shadow Lass." After he learned her name was "Umbra," he
>>decided the 'S' was a symbol for darkness on her world.

>I think it's a symbol for
>"Stern-You've-Saddled-This-Character-With-A-Goofy-Codename."

What the heck is wrong with 'Umbra'?!?!?!? I must be the only one on the
planet other than Stern who thinks Umbra is a pretty cool codename.

>>Jeff hopes that if/when the Legion of Super-Pets show up, they'll use
>>characters from both Legion teams, including Gates and Sensor.

>Will they team up to give Lori her rabies shots?

At least I *understand* people's problems with Lori, even if I don't agree
with them. I think Lori is a vast wellspring of untapped potential whose
only realization of that potential to date has been her brief stint as a
superhero.

--
Tim Soholt (soh...@io.com)
"My dear man, `impossible' is not in my dictionary. In fact, everything

Tim Soholt

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
T. Troy McNemar <Tro...@primenet.com> wrote:

>The postboot Emerald Eye is sentient. It even communicates, at least with
>its host (or former host) But if it's already sentient, why does it need
>a host at all?

A power source, maybe?

>What does a big, magical, nigh-omnipotent, sentient disembodied eye want
>out of life, anyway? Visine?

Assuming it *doesn't* need a sentient host as a power source or somesuch,
I'd guess it wants a soul mate. Unfortunately, it's a pretty twisted soul.

>I think the preboot Eye worked better. It was a corrupting influenced to
>be feared and respected, but the host was as important a component as the
>Eye itself.

We simply don't know enough about the Eye's functional processes or its
motivations to say how important the host is. For all we know, it could be
like the Mask, drawing out the suppressed aspects of its host's character.
Heck, if you wanted to get really weird, the "sentience" could even be an
artifact of the host's mind.

Tim Soholt

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Dan McEwen <fe...@lsh.org> wrote:

>How about Comet? :) Y'know, there is a Comet and Krypto, and I think
>Streaky's a demon nowadays. I don't see them problem, really.
>Streaky, who reformed after his meeting with Supergirl, grants Krypto
>super-powers. Comet already has them. Then they band together to help
>the Legion! Simple, really. :)

The introduction of Andy "Comet" Jones to the Legion of Superheroes would
open up *sooo* many cans of worms . . .

RDSCOTT1

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
I agree, Umbra is a great code name for Tasmia. If you want to talk about bad
code names try Live Wire, do the residents of the 30th century even know what
a live wire is? I would prefer that Garth go back to Lightning Lad, even though
I've never really cared for that code name. I would like to see Jan adopt
Alchemist as his new alias and someone really needs to let Salu use just plain
Violet. Let's face it, after 40 years, some code names really need to be
updated.

I did like Jacques appearance, even with the skunk stripe. It appears that
this story is the prelude to, what I hope will be, an imaginative and character
driven story arc. In the pre-boot world, Charma was more of an innocent
victim, however, here she clearly shows a more ruthless nature. I like this
change.

T. Troy McNemar

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, soh...@schultz.io.com (Tim Soholt)
wrote:

>T. Troy McNemar <Tro...@primenet.com> wrote:
>>Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca>
>>wrote:

>>>Jeff explained that he designed an 'S' for Tasmia's costume, thinking she
>>>would be named "Shadow Lass." After he learned her name was "Umbra," he
>>>decided the 'S' was a symbol for darkness on her world.
>
>>I think it's a symbol for
>>"Stern-You've-Saddled-This-Character-With-A-Goofy-Codename."
>
>What the heck is wrong with 'Umbra'?!?!?!?

It sounds like a tax bill. She's the Unified Multi-planetary Budget
Reconciliation Act.

T. Troy McNemar

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
wrote:

>I think Lori is a vast wellspring of untapped potential whose

>only realization of that potential to date has been her brief stint as a
>superhero.

I'd be interested in seeing fans' opinions of why they think she has a
vast wellspring of untapped potential. From where I'm sitting, it seems
like her presence in the books diverts precious attention from the
Legionnaires to her.

Sidne G. Ward

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Tro...@primenet.com (T. Troy McNemar) writes:

>Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, soh...@schultz.io.com (Tim Soholt)
>wrote:

>>I think Lori is a vast wellspring of untapped potential whose
>>only realization of that potential to date has been her brief stint as a
>>superhero.

>I'd be interested in seeing fans' opinions of why they think she has a
>vast wellspring of untapped potential. From where I'm sitting, it seems
>like her presence in the books diverts precious attention from the
>Legionnaires to her.

I think Lori's cute and spunky. If she's been in the books when I first
started reading them as a 7 or 8 year old, I'd've identified with her.
What kid wouldn't want to hang out with the LSH? And what kid given that
opportunity wouldn't long to become a super-hero and join the team?

Sidne Gail Ward
sw...@primenet.com

T. Troy McNemar

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, sw...@primenet.com (Sidne G. Ward)
wrote:

>I think Lori's cute and spunky.

She's like C-Ko in PROJECT A-KO. She may be cute and spunky, but I still
want to strangle her. :)

>If she's been in the books when I first
>started reading them as a 7 or 8 year old, I'd've identified with her.

7 and 8 year olds don't read the Legion books anymore, alas.

>What kid wouldn't want to hang out with the LSH? And what kid given that
>opportunity wouldn't long to become a super-hero and join the team?

The book is already about young super-heroes. Does there really need to
be an even younger person in the books for kids to identify with?

Dale Hicks

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98

Personally, I hope that Lori could have a potential of about 1000000 Volts.

Sidne G. Ward <sw...@primenet.com> wrote in article <70apt3$40h$1...@nnrp02.primenet.com>...

> I think Lori's cute and spunky. If she's been in the books when I first

> started reading them as a 7 or 8 year old, I'd've identified with her.

I hope there isn't anybody identifying with her. She, to me, is an example
of bad character.

- she's whiny. Okay, maybe young kids are too, but let's not use her to
endorse that as an acceptable trait
- she's commited sabotage. I can't remember if there was a reason given,
but it couldn't have been justified
- she stole the H-Dial, and has constantly decieved her caretakers and
endangered herself
- she whined when the older time scientist guy didn't like her, It's
called child molestation, honey. It's for your own good. And why
exactly would you expect anyone to like you?
- she's patterned after Glorith, a character that deserved to remain a
one-shot character in a silly Adventures story.

I'm sure there are numerous other reasons not to like her, but thankfully
my memory has erased them. She's seen no character growth, having shown
no remorse and taking no actions to correct her problems. She's eaten
up valuable screen time that could be taken up by more interesting
characters.

I agree with Troy's implication: she's had a ton of focus, and has been
developed into a world class annoyance. Further development seems to
be the furtherest thing from Merlo's mind. Maybe she thinks people like
to read Lori. I don't. Not from her introduction.

If there are any little girls out there, please, please, don't look to
Lori as a role model, unless it's to start watching a little more hockey.

--
Jean-Claude Brain dhi...@gibralter.net

Reaus

Oct 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/17/98
Sidne G. Ward wrote:

> I think Lori's cute and spunky. If she's been in the books when I first
> started reading them as a 7 or 8 year old, I'd've identified with her.
> What kid wouldn't want to hang out with the LSH? And what kid given that
> opportunity wouldn't long to become a super-hero and join the team?
>
> Sidne Gail Ward
> sw...@primenet.com

Yes!!

And all this time I thought I was the only one who actually liked Lori!

Tim
aka Blok at aol dot com

Visit the Unofficial Blok Website!
http://members.aol.com/Blok/blok.html

Policy Pam

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
>I think Lori's cute and spunky. If she's been in the books when I first
>started reading them as a 7 or 8 year old, I'd've identified with her.

I guess....but what really annoys me about Lori is that she's so *stupid*!
I've only been reading the Legion books since LSH #85, so correct me if I'm
wrong, but isn't she like 10 or 11? My little brother isn't as much of an
annoying moron as Lori, and he's 8--and come to think of it, he doesn't like
her, either.
But Lori's not that bad--it's not like she's Monstress or anything--so I can
understand if other people think she's a snap and a half, although I wouldn't
mind it if she had a nasty encounter with heavy machinery any time soon....

Katie

Dan McEwen

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
On 17 Oct 1998 11:43:03 GMT, soh...@schultz.io.com (Tim Soholt) wrote:

>T. Troy McNemar <Tro...@primenet.com> wrote:
>

>>The postboot Emerald Eye is sentient. It even communicates, at least with
>>its host (or former host) But if it's already sentient, why does it need
>>a host at all?
>
>A power source, maybe?

A symbiont-type relationship? That is, it can exist, but needs a host
to really be able to do anything. Or, possibly, the Eye has no
imagination. It needs the host to give it direction. (Which could
explain why it tended to grant Vi's "wishes".)

Dan McEwen

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
On Sat, 17 Oct 1998 16:51:26 GMT, Tro...@primenet.com (T. Troy
McNemar) wrote:

>Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, soh...@schultz.io.com (Tim Soholt)
>wrote:
>
>>I think Lori is a vast wellspring of untapped potential whose
>>only realization of that potential to date has been her brief stint as a
>>superhero.
>
>I'd be interested in seeing fans' opinions of why they think she has a
>vast wellspring of untapped potential. From where I'm sitting, it seems
>like her presence in the books diverts precious attention from the
>Legionnaires to her.

Lori's as much "untapped potential" as any character. The question
is: why was she introduced in the first place? There's been
absolutely nothing done with her in how many years now? There may be
potential, but who gives a damn if her creators can't be bothered to
fulfill it?

Jonathan L. Miller

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
In article <36295e2f...@netnews.worldnet.att.net>, fe...@lsh.org (Dan
McEwen) wrote:

This idea actually has some echoes in pre-boot, given what, well, happened
to the Emerald Empress when her access to the Eye (or vice versa, really)
was finally (voluntarily) removed. The Eye had...well, I guess there's some
debate on what the Eye did to her. I guess this is turning from a related
point into a digression. I guess it's really too late for me to be posting
a message. ;-)

Anyway, the Eye either:

[um, spoilers for the last, what, 10 issues of v3? somewhere in there]

1. Kept her alive for a very, very, very long time, long enough that
without its power and influence, she simply turned to dust
or
2. Used her as (as you implied Troy) a power source of some kind, entering
into a symbiotic relationship where each was dependant on the other. Sarya
was, however, more dependant on the Eye than it was on her. Thus, when its
influence was removed, she simply disintegrated.

I've always favored #1 myself (the gothic--that is, Mary Shelley type
gotic, not Anne Rice [ugh] type gothic--in me, I guess), but I can see an
argument for #2, especially given what little we know of her origin. Which
was, as everyone and his or her brother or sister mentioned a few years
ago, very similar to Zoe's.

Ok, that's it. This is getting incomprehensible to *me.* I'm going to bed
now. ;-)

jonathan.

Sidne G. Ward

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
fe...@lsh.org (Dan McEwen) writes:

>Lori's as much "untapped potential" as any character. The question
>is: why was she introduced in the first place? There's been
>absolutely nothing done with her in how many years now? There may be
>potential, but who gives a damn if her creators can't be bothered to
>fulfill it?

I would agree that this has been a problem. If I were writing the Legion
(and we should all be glad I'm not :), I'd probably get on with Lori's
story. The Legion finds out about the H-Dial and Lori's use of it and
Lori learns her lesson. Then they find a family for Lori to live with
(maybe a futurized Jonathan and Martha Kent?). Lori shows up in the books
infrequently as a supporting character (at parties, ceremonies, etc.). If
the team ever ages, she might actually get a job working with them
(monitor duty, etc.) She might even run into the Subs someday who
wouldn't be as picky about her use of the H-Dial.

Btw, the Subs' story is another one I'd tell and wrap up pretty soon.

Sidne Gail Ward
sw...@primenet.com

Dave Padget

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
Lori is a rather boring character, comparable to Jubilee or Wesley Crusher in her
presence as "the next generation" that just doesn't work.
However, her existence in the series, to me, is an obvious desire to lead to a
Glorith with strong "I hate the Legion" motivation on a personal level in later
times, beyond the political nature of her previous version's animosity.
Personally I thought the old Glorith vs. Mordru magic-based political games were
a great contrast to the Dominators vs. Khunds science-based battle for control of
UP space.

Dan McEwen

Oct 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/18/98
On Sun, 18 Oct 1998 01:48:07 -0800, jlmille...@oz.net (Jonathan L.
Miller) wrote:

>Anyway, the Eye either:
>
>[um, spoilers for the last, what, 10 issues of v3? somewhere in there]
>

>1. Kept her alive for a very, very, very long time, long enough that
>without its power and influence, she simply turned to dust
>or

Possible. It was unclear how long she had the Eye.

>2. Used her as (as you implied Troy) a power source of some kind, entering
>into a symbiotic relationship where each was dependant on the other. Sarya
>was, however, more dependant on the Eye than it was on her. Thus, when its
>influence was removed, she simply disintegrated.

I was thinking this could be the case. If it is true, then the Eye
seems different postboot. Vi suffered no physical effects from being
bonded to it. I realize Vi didn't have it nearly as long as the
preboot Empress, but you would think *something* would have happened.

>I've always favored #1 myself (the gothic--that is, Mary Shelley type
>gotic, not Anne Rice [ugh] type gothic--in me, I guess), but I can see an
>argument for #2, especially given what little we know of her origin. Which
>was, as everyone and his or her brother or sister mentioned a few years
>ago, very similar to Zoe's.

Which is why Zoe would also be a perfect host for the Eye -- not that
I'm advocating that. I like Zoe. I don't want her evil, and I don't
want the Eye "good".

pip...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
In article <362eca28...@news.primenet.com>,

Tro...@primenet.com (T. Troy McNemar) wrote:
> Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, soh...@schultz.io.com (Tim Soholt)
> wrote:
>
> >I think Lori is a vast wellspring of untapped potential whose
> >only realization of that potential to date has been her brief stint as a
> >superhero.
>
> I'd be interested in seeing fans' opinions of why they think she has a
> vast wellspring of untapped potential. From where I'm sitting, it seems
> like her presence in the books diverts precious attention from the
> Legionnaires to her.

I could not agree more. Lori's storylines have only served to reduce the
amount of space available for character usage, much less development, of the
current Legionnaires. Why is so much time spent on a bratty youngster who is
angry at the fact that she can't immediately be grown up. Excuse me, but
doesn't the legion have real problems to solve?

David

Carmen Williams

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
Dale Hicks wrote:

> Personally, I hope that Lori could have a potential of about 1000000 Volts.
>
> Sidne G. Ward <sw...@primenet.com> wrote in article <70apt3$40h$1...@nnrp02.primenet.com>...
> >
> > I think Lori's cute and spunky. If she's been in the books when I first
> > started reading them as a 7 or 8 year old, I'd've identified with her.
>
> I hope there isn't anybody identifying with her. She, to me, is an example
> of bad character.
>
> - she's whiny. Okay, maybe young kids are too, but let's not use her to
> endorse that as an acceptable trait

And when she's displayed right next to the Legionnaires, who aren't that
much older than she is, it makes her look really bad...

> - she's commited sabotage. I can't remember if there was a reason given,
> but it couldn't have been justified

It wasn't. Lori deliberately sabotaged Team 20's rescue mission, and
her reasoning was that if the Legion could get to the twentieth century,
they might <gasp> send her back, and she didn't want to go. She never
tried explaining this to anybody, or even, say, running off and hiding
till Team 20 was back (which might have been dumb, but she *is* only
ten). Instead she opted for an act of near-criminal selfishness. (And
later on in the same story she pouts because she's being treated like a
child. Lori, if they *weren't* treating you like a child, you'd be up on
charges...) I don't understand why the Legionnaires don't find a good
home for her instead of letting her have the run of their HQ--she's
demonstrated that she's just not mature enough to be trusted.

> - she stole the H-Dial, and has constantly decieved her caretakers and
> endangered herself
> - she whined when the older time scientist guy didn't like her, It's
> called child molestation, honey. It's for your own good. And why
> exactly would you expect anyone to like you?

Rond Vidar in L* #35--"'Ron-dee'? What did I do to deserve *this*?" More
or less summing up *my* feelings on the brat...

> - she's patterned after Glorith, a character that deserved to remain a
> one-shot character in a silly Adventures story.

And she consistently wears that damn shirt. Enough with the eternal
waif look, already; doesn't she have any other clothes??

> I'm sure there are numerous other reasons not to like her, but thankfully
> my memory has erased them. She's seen no character growth, having shown
> no remorse and taking no actions to correct her problems. She's eaten
> up valuable screen time that could be taken up by more interesting
> characters.

Amen to that.

Carmen W.--Still wondering why the *Legion anniversary* story even
included her...

T. Troy McNemar

Oct 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/19/98
Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, Carmen Williams <ari...@erols.com>
wrote:

>I don't understand why the Legionnaires don't find a good
>home for her instead of letting her have the run of their HQ--she's
>demonstrated that she's just not mature enough to be trusted.

I want to know how liberal the 30th century Earth child welfare laws are
if they allow a culturally-displaced, technically-ignorant 10 year old to
be placed with a group of teenaged adventurers whose HQ is likely to be
destroyed at any time. What's next? Placing foster children with the
Fatal Five?

>And she consistently wears that damn shirt. Enough with the eternal
>waif look, already; doesn't she have any other clothes??

At one of the AOL Chats, Jeff discussed the possibility of giving her a
series of jerseys with different former pencillers. I wonder why that
never happened?

And I still think it's appropriate to call her "Satan Girl."

>Still wondering why the *Legion anniversary* story even
>included her...

For some reason, I was really irked that she played a "save the day" role
in the ADV 80 PG GIANT story.

Jason Fliegel

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
In article <362b85d7....@news.primenet.com>,

T. Troy McNemar <Tro...@primenet.com> wrote:

> What's next? Placing foster children with the
>Fatal Five?

I hear Tharok's got three nephews who are going to come live with him.

--
Jason Fliegel
j-fl...@uchicago.edu

T. Troy McNemar

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, jbfl...@midway.uchicago.edu (Jason
Fliegel) wrote:

>I hear Tharok's got three nephews who are going to come live with him.

Sitcom name: Uncle Cyborg.

Validus plays the wacky neighbor.

Kevin Chang

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98

T. Troy McNemar wrote:

> What's next? Placing foster children with the Fatal Five?

You know, this might not be a horrible idea. I'm not talking about Tharok,
Empress, or Validus, naturally, but the other two.

The Persuader is neither evil genius, sadist, nor bestial savage. He's more
your standard 30th century thug: a little dumb, plenty cruel...more than
likely a product of a neglectful upbringing.

Now if he were placed in the position of a parental guardian, I think it
could prove quite therapeutic. I could really see this bringing out the
gentler side of the con, as well as fostering a sense of responsibility that
leads towards good citizenship. This often works with children in preschool
who are disruptive and bullying: giving them a doll to care for or some
other responsibility tends to curb their destructive tendencies.

Now I'm not suggesting that the warden of Takron-Galtos hand some poor waif
over to the Persuader and set them up in the suburbs of Metropolis. Maybe
they could start him off with a cute stuffed animal...then move to a puppy
or something.

As for Mano, much the same holds. In truth, the post-boot Mano really isn't
that much of a bad guy at all. He just doesn't like MacCauley (and who
outside of Evolvo and that Khund woman really does?) I say give him
probation and maybe a janitorial job at Legion HQ. Let _him_ take care of
Lori. I'm sure it would mollify some of the more anti-social elements of his
personality. Plus, it would place her under the care of a real adult, albeit
one that could blow her up real good.

Okay, I made up the part about the preschoolers; I probably read something
similar _sometime_, though. I'm just really bored. I admit it.

It is, however, a problem I have with Mano. He needs more motivation to be
really evil. This half-ass Mano just ain't F5 material.

Oh jeez. Before this exact moment I'd never made the mano=hand connection.
No kidding. Wow I feel dumb.

Next I'm gonna figure out that Tharok means something, right?

-Kevin
Yankees! Woo woo!

LyleMasaki

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98

Previously on racd-lsh, Tro...@primenet.com (T. Troy McNemar) wrote.....

(RE: Lori)

>And I still think it's appropriate to call her "Satan Girl."

Ah-hem, and associate her with one of my campier memories of the sainted Kara
Zor-El? No thank you.

How about Demon Damsel? Only Alex Ross has fond memories of her...

anon,
Lyle

+~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~--~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~+
Lyle Masaki
(aka spi...@aloha.net)

"Look, no self-respecting superhero has a boy sidekick wearing anything
else but...
...SHORT SHORTS!"
HIM by Steve Remen in Lethargic Lad #6

Jencomx3

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98

>How about Demon Damsel? Only Alex Ross has fond memories of her...

I miss some of the camp of those older Superboy Legion issues! The stories
were such fun to read and I liked them a lot..but I don't think I want us going
back there again!@

Jen

Sean MacDonald

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Kevin Chang wrote:

> Oh jeez. Before this exact moment I'd never made the mano=hand connection.
> No kidding. Wow I feel dumb.

The hand chest-symbol on the preboot version didn't give
it away?

> Next I'm gonna figure out that Tharok means something, right?

No, but Validus does.

--
-SM
"It seemed a dreadful injustice that these wise races should perish

Dan McEwen

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
On 20 Oct 1998 09:36:36 GMT, lylem...@aol.com (LyleMasaki) wrote:

>Previously on racd-lsh, Tro...@primenet.com (T. Troy McNemar) wrote.....
>
>(RE: Lori)
>>And I still think it's appropriate to call her "Satan Girl."
>
>Ah-hem, and associate her with one of my campier memories of the sainted Kara
>Zor-El? No thank you.

That's what I was thinking, too. I figure White Triangle Andromeda
was postboot Satan Girl. :)

>How about Demon Damsel? Only Alex Ross has fond memories of her...

Hmm...one of the Lu's goes bad?

Matthew R. Sheahan

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
Sean MacDonald (mcdo...@vorteb.math.uab.edu) wrote:
> No, but Validus does.

yeah. this mostly leads me to wonder about the lack of a Shi'ar Imperial
Guard foe named Potens, Valens, or Durus.

chiaroscuro

wo...@interlog.com

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
On Tue, 20 Oct 1998 12:02:48 -0600, Sean MacDonald
<mcdo...@vorteb.math.uab.edu> wrote:

>Kevin Chang wrote:

>> Next I'm gonna figure out that Tharok means something, right?

>No, but Validus does.

Really? What???

The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
Carmen Williams wrote:

> And she consistently wears that damn shirt. Enough with the eternal
> waif look, already; doesn't she have any other clothes?

Yeah, but she has to wear the Blue Devil shirt over them, because
Neron's deal with Cassidy was for fame and recognition.

The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
Dan McEwen wrote:

>>Jeff once suggested giving Magno a gambling habit.

> Yay. Then Tinya can resent him, right?

... I don't get it.

Mike Chary

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
50,000,000 volts.

--
Court Philosopher and Barbarian, DNRC http://ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu/~fchary
Happy 100th birthday C. S. Lewis!

Dale Hicks

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel <eds...@umoncton.ca> wrote in article
<362DE3...@umoncton.ca>...

In her convoluted origin, we had one of Tinya's selves acting as a
slave of the Luck Lords in a casino. I can't remember if it was
Phase or the (forgotten) third self.

But since the writers want to forget about it (along with her take-
charge personality), I suppose I will too.

--
Jean-Claude Brain dhi...@gibralter.net

Dale Hicks

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98

Mike Chary <fch...@ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu> wrote in article
<70kqt0$dpl$1...@jetsam.uits.indiana.edu>...
> 50,000,000 volts.

Geesh, Mike's gone and upped my figure of 1,000,000V.

Whatever it takes.

--
Jean-Claude Brain dhi...@gibralter.net

Ben Weiss

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
The Great and Powerful Danny Sichel wrote:

> Dan McEwen wrote:
>
> >>Jeff once suggested giving Magno a gambling habit.
>
> > Yay. Then Tinya can resent him, right?
>
> ... I don't get it.

What, you mean Tinya's origin story actually *didn't make sense* to you?
:)

The reference was to Tinya's father, who sold 2/3 of her into slavery to
the Luck Lords because of his gambling addiction.
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

Jonathan L. Miller

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
In article <362bf66b...@news.primenet.com>, Tro...@primenet.com (T.
Troy McNemar) wrote:

> Previously on rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh, jbfl...@midway.uchicago.edu (Jason
> Fliegel) wrote:
>
> >I hear Tharok's got three nephews who are going to come live with him.
>
> Sitcom name: Uncle Cyborg.
>
> Validus plays the wacky neighbor.

Actually, that sounds familiar....wasn't it a segment on Mordru's "Merry
Mercilous Vaudeville Hour" back in the 40s? Lemmie think, the kids' names
were.....Oh yeah, they were Lifty, Swifty and Killer, weren't they? I also
seem to recall a love-interest that the kids were always getting Tharok in
trouble with....Emerald something, I think.

jonathan, who hasn't seen a good Mordru thread in too long.

Sean MacDonald

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98

It's Latin for "strong".

Dan McEwen

Oct 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/22/98
On Wed, 21 Oct 1998 10:37:20 -0300, The Great and Powerful Danny
Sichel <eds...@umoncton.ca> wrote:

>Dan McEwen wrote:
>
>>>Jeff once suggested giving Magno a gambling habit.
>
>> Yay. Then Tinya can resent him, right?
>
>... I don't get it.

Her father was a gambler who gave up Tinya (or at least 1/3 to 2/3 of
her) to those eyeball guys.