LSH: AOL Chat Report for 4/30/96 with McCraw, Peyer, Moy,

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Apr 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/30/96

Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist), Tom Peyer (LSH co-
plotter/scripter), Jeff Moy (L* penciller), KC Carlson (LSH/L*
editor), and Mike McAvennie (former LSH/L* assoc. editor) were
the guests on America Online's Legion of Super-Heroes Chat for
Tuesday, April, 30, 1996. Legion of Super-Heroes Chat is held
every Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of AOL at 6:00 p.m.
EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every Thursday in the same area
at 10:00 p.m. EST. (Keyword: DC CHAT.) Regular guests include
Tom Peyer, Tom McCraw, Roger Stern, Mark Waid, Jeff Moy, Ron
Boyd, KC Carlson and Mike McAvennie.

DISCLAIMER - Information presented herein is not guaranteed to be
reliable. Due to the nature of the chats, misinterpretations of
the creators' comments do occur. No wagering.

SPOILERS - READ THIS! Almost the entire report consists of
spoiler information on the upcoming direction for the Legion
titles. It has been appropriately protected.

SUBSCRIPTIONS - If you'd like to subscribe (or unsubscribe) to
these chat reports, please send me an e-mail at
"tro...@indirect.com".

GRAPHICS - If you want to subscribe to Lev Kalman's weekly
humorous LSH pic, drop him an e-mail at "levk...@gnn.com".
He'll send it to your virtual mailbox every week in MIME-encoded
format.

SPECIAL THANKS - To Edward Douglas, John Heaton, and Erik Hancock
for providing a copy of the chat log from which this report was
generated.

TO TOM McCRAW - In fact, I don't wear sandals.

WHAT THE? - Due to the newsworthiness of this report, I've bumped
this ahead of the April 25 report. The April 25 report will be
written and released at a later date.

==================

An LSH article may appear in Wizard #59. If interested, you
should check the the issue which should be on sale this week.

SPOILERS AHOY

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

According to Peyer, plans exist for Ferro. Peyer just never said
who made the plans.

L KOWIANS may appear in L* #40.

Dr. Gym'll will be appearing very soon.

The L* Annual was primarily written by Roger Stern, and features
XS. The LSH Annual was written by Peyer and McCraw, pencilled by
Michael Collins, and features a surprise character.

Beginning with LSH #85, the LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES book will take
place in the 20th century. There will be a massive explosion
sending several Legion members to the present. The LEGIONNAIRES
book will continue to be set in the 30th century.

The Legionnaires will be in the 20th century until they find a
way back to the 30th century. They will be trapped.

McAvennie promised that there's a good set of reasons why
Brainiac 5 and Rond Vidar won't be snatching anyone out of time.
Peyer said that there was no Iron Curtain of time in the modern
age. Rather, it's a NAFTA agreement of time.

The team wouldn't state how long the Legion will be trapped in
the 20th century. The story will be gauged as it proceeds.
McCraw indicates that the team will be in the 20th century for as
long as the stories they've got play out.

KC is trying to get something to announce the event. Hopefully
something more than house advertisements.

Peyer believes the 20th century angle is a good idea because its
currently easy to follow the DC Universe titles except for the
Legion because of they're compartmentalized. He hopes to attract
new readers to the book with the story angle.

Peyer promises that the 20th century Legionnaires will interact
with a lot of DC Universe heroes. They will see quite a bit of
the 20th century. There won't necessarily be any crossovers in
the books. McAvennie insists that KC will be able to control any
Legion appearances in non-Legion books to make sure that the
Legionnaires are treated properly. The Legion will interact with
Superboy as his and the Legion's schedules permit.

Peyer's upcoming story in Showcase '96 involves Vril Dox meeting
the Legion of Super-Heroes. He observes that there are a lot of
Brainiacs in the story. LSH versus Computer Tyrants is possible.

At least one 20th century character will return to the 30th
century *if* the team ever makes it back to that century.

Deadman will be the book's first guest star.

The first official "no plans" of the 20th century LSH: There are
no plans for the Omega Men.

The team would not reveal which members were on the 20th century
team. McCraw promised that the teams had been picked logically.
The recent T-shirt does not reflect which characters are on
either team.

Peyer promises that there won't be pages of Interlac. He jokes
that M'Onel won't be called B'Obb C'Obb, but he will sell
brushes.

McCraw promises that the story is more than just a stunt. They
respect readers more than that. KC points out that this story
has been in the works for over a year and that they wouldn't do
anything without thinking about it first.

McAvennie believes DC is behind the idea. If not, he indicates
that several DC editors support it.

The announcement was made because the information will soon be
available from Diamond.

Jeff points out that part of them team will remain in the 30th
century, and that they'll need more members.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"Please! Don't all leave . . . . Somebody has to do it, don't

Johanna Draper

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

In article <1996050106...@bud.indirect.com>,

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
>SPOILERS - READ THIS! Almost the entire report consists of
>spoiler information on the upcoming direction for the Legion
>titles. It has been appropriately protected.
>
>SPOILERS AHOY
>

>SPOILERS
>

>SPOILERS

>Rather, it's a NAFTA agreement of time.

For someone reason, this line particularly tickled me. :)

>McAvennie insists that KC will be able to control any
>Legion appearances in non-Legion books to make sure that the
>Legionnaires are treated properly.

Which is the most important thing about the whole story, I think. I'm
really looking forward to the cultural angles that will come out of this
whole thing. I hope to learn more about the 30th century attitudes as
they're contrasted with ours. Not to mention that it will be *really* cool
to see more people reading the Legion!

>The announcement was made because the information will soon be
>available from Diamond.

Which is another important thing: this creative team respects us and does
things like this for us. (In this case, preventing an unpleasant
surprise by giving us a chance to ask questions first.) I wish it worked
the other way.

>Jeff points out that part of them team will remain in the 30th
>century, and that they'll need more members.

Yet more characters? My gracious!

Johanna
--
Johanna Draper * dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu * 10341...@compuserve.com
"A being known as Wonder Girl was speaking, I believe." - M. Dolenz, RSG

R. Tang

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

In article <4m7rft$e...@netnews.upenn.edu>,

Johanna Draper <dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu> wrote:
>In article <1996050106...@bud.indirect.com>,
>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:
>>SPOILERS - READ THIS! Almost the entire report consists of
>>spoiler information on the upcoming direction for the Legion
>>titles. It has been appropriately protected.
>>
>>SPOILERS AHOY
>>

>>SPOILERS
>>

>>SPOILERS

>>Rather, it's a NAFTA agreement of time.
>
>For someone reason, this line particularly tickled me. :)
>
>>McAvennie insists that KC will be able to control any
>>Legion appearances in non-Legion books to make sure that the
>>Legionnaires are treated properly.
>
>Which is the most important thing about the whole story, I think. I'm
>really looking forward to the cultural angles that will come out of this
>whole thing. I hope to learn more about the 30th century attitudes as
>they're contrasted with ours. Not to mention that it will be *really* cool
>to see more people reading the Legion!
>
>>The announcement was made because the information will soon be
>>available from Diamond.
>
>Which is another important thing: this creative team respects us and does
>things like this for us. (In this case, preventing an unpleasant
>surprise by giving us a chance to ask questions first.) I wish it worked
>the other way.

Me, too.

While I don't like the particular storyline as stated, I'm willing
to trust the folks until after the issues come out. (If it's bad THEN,
I'll trash the book....). After all, it's all in the execution of the idea
(the much reviled v. 4 was very much a failure in execution; many of the
ideas were quite good in and of themselves....).

>>Jeff points out that part of them team will remain in the 30th
>>century, and that they'll need more members.
>

>Yet more characters? My gracious!

And an avenue for more fan favorites to come back. Gee...who
woulda thunk it....
--
Roger Tang, gwan...@u.washington.edu, Artistic Director PC Theatre
Editor, Asian American Theatre Central:

Craig Hyde

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. wrote:

> SPOILERS AHOY
>
> SPOILERS
>
> SPOILERS
>
> SPOILERS

Spoilers INDEED!

Yeah yeah , SPOIL ME!

> The team wouldn't state how long the Legion will be trapped in
> the 20th century. The story will be gauged as it proceeds.
> McCraw indicates that the team will be in the 20th century for as
> long as the stories they've got play out.
>

> Jeff points out that part of them team will remain in the 30th
> century, and that they'll need more members.

ALL I WANT IS AN UPPER BOUND FOR HOW LONG THEY"RE GOING TO BE
IN THE 20th CENTURY!...

Hmmmm... in light of what Johanna said about the reactions to this,
I have to admit it's a pretty good thing I wasn't on that chat,
as my initial reaction to the news of the break to the 20th century
was to blurt out a word often directed at baseball umpires and
which means "one who performs oral sex on men".
However, a mere 30 seconds later (and after reading the above
excerpt) I turned 180 degrees and began to LIKE the idea.
(Especially after that last little tidbit about this meaning that
the 30th century team will need new members!)
I STILL, like the idea, but I'm nervous about only one thing...
I understand that they don't want to tell us how long they'll be
the the 20th century, but I'd at least like an upper bound. I think
I could handle up to a year -and-a-half without being bothered,
but after that, I'd get annoyed. Even so, as long as I knew they
were EVENTUALLY coming back, I could handle it.
I just don't want to die of heart disease, prostate cancer,
or some other age-related disease before the LEgionnaires make it
back to the 30th century!
The LEgion is, BY DEFINITON, a book that should take place
in the 30th century. A visit to the 20th century is nice, but they
shouldn't ever live there.
--

---craig hyde ch...@math.arizona.edu---

Warning: Cathy Lee Gifford is the anti-christ.

JohnHeaton

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

On Wed, 01 May 1996 at 13:59:43 -0700, Craig Hyde wrote:

>I think I could handle up to a year -and-a-half without being bothered

Two milestone are comeing up soon that would serve as logical end
points: L* 50 (released May 1997) and LSH 100 (Nov. 1997). Both
fall with in your "year-and-a-half" limit.

--------------------------------
John Heaton JohnH...@aol.com
john_...@wellstone.senate.gov

Christopher Bird

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

Johanna Draper (dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu) wrote:

> >Jeff points out that part of them team will remain in the 30th
> >century, and that they'll need more members.

> Yet more characters? My gracious!

WILD-FIRE!
WILD-FIRE!
WILD-FIRE!

(Just to piss Johanna off, of course. But it makes *sense*. "Okay...we
need to replace our missing members. We've been shipped this guy from the
SP who was in an accident...grife, this is worse than Star Boy...")

----------- The Church of Cthulhu: http://chat.carleton.ca/~cbird-----------
"You were on that island for fifteen years and you can't remember the words
to your theme song?" --Space Ghost to Russell "Professor" Johnson
CTHULHU FOR PRESIDENT IN 1996- "Why Settle For The Lesser Evil?"

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Jerry L Franke

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

T. Troy McNemar, Esq. (tro...@indirect.com) wrote:
> ==================

> SPOILERS AHOY

> SPOILERS

> SPOILERS

> SPOILERS

> Dr. Gym'll will be appearing very soon.

Yay! I missed the little guy.

> Beginning with LSH #85, the LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES book will take
> place in the 20th century. There will be a massive explosion
> sending several Legion members to the present. The LEGIONNAIRES
> book will continue to be set in the 30th century.

I knew the placement of Brainy's secret time lab was a poor choice. ;-)

> The Legionnaires will be in the 20th century until they find a
> way back to the 30th century. They will be trapped.

> McAvennie promised that there's a good set of reasons why
> Brainiac 5 and Rond Vidar won't be snatching anyone out of time.
> Peyer said that there was no Iron Curtain of time in the modern
> age. Rather, it's a NAFTA agreement of time.

Two guesses: Brainy and Rond are both included in the group trapped in the
20th (the Showcase story seems to point to at least Brainy), and/or the Time
Trapper is finally back.

> The team wouldn't state how long the Legion will be trapped in
> the 20th century. The story will be gauged as it proceeds.
> McCraw indicates that the team will be in the 20th century for as
> long as the stories they've got play out.

They should at least be back by #100, I'd imagine.

> KC is trying to get something to announce the event. Hopefully
> something more than house advertisements.

Time to get Peyer booked on the Letterman show. ;-)

> Peyer believes the 20th century angle is a good idea because its
> currently easy to follow the DC Universe titles except for the
> Legion because of they're compartmentalized. He hopes to attract
> new readers to the book with the story angle.

I don't mind the premise, but I do have to question the logic of that
argument.

> Peyer promises that the 20th century Legionnaires will interact
> with a lot of DC Universe heroes. They will see quite a bit of
> the 20th century. There won't necessarily be any crossovers in
> the books. McAvennie insists that KC will be able to control any
> Legion appearances in non-Legion books to make sure that the
> Legionnaires are treated properly. The Legion will interact with
> Superboy as his and the Legion's schedules permit.

The only problem with this is by that time, Ron "The Ripper" Marz will be
writing Superboy, which means I'm going to be really tempted to break my
Marz boycott to get the Legion appearance.

> Peyer's upcoming story in Showcase '96 involves Vril Dox meeting
> the Legion of Super-Heroes. He observes that there are a lot of
> Brainiacs in the story. LSH versus Computer Tyrants is possible.

We could have at least 4 if Lyrl (is that Vril's son's name?) shows up along
with the original (or do Lyrl and Vril count as Brainiacs in this case?).
Maybe Brainiac 4 will show up through some convoluted plot device to stir
things up as well.

> At least one 20th century character will return to the 30th
> century *if* the team ever makes it back to that century.

This is too tempting to speculate about now. Think I'll chew on this for
awhile before making guesses.

> Deadman will be the book's first guest star.

Well, someone has to teach Tinya how to be a good ghost. ;-)

> The team would not reveal which members were on the 20th century
> team. McCraw promised that the teams had been picked logically.
> The recent T-shirt does not reflect which characters are on
> either team.

Logically, I'd guess: Brainy, Rond (if he counts), XS, Triad (so she can
put the moves on Superboy again), Lar (if it wouldn't create a temporal
anomoly -- I'd hate to see the LSH continuously ramming the USS Bozeman),
and either Garth or Ayla. There will obviously be some more, but I'm having
trouble figuring out "logic" for any others...

> McCraw promises that the story is more than just a stunt. They
> respect readers more than that. KC points out that this story
> has been in the works for over a year and that they wouldn't do
> anything without thinking about it first.

I'm starting to expect the day when I pick up a comic and, in the spirit of
all those old issues that proclaimed "Not a dream! Not an imaginary story!"
we start seeing "Not a stunt!" It's a sad day for comics when you have to
make that statement about a storyline.

> Jeff points out that part of them team will remain in the 30th
> century, and that they'll need more members.

Ooh! Ooh! My wish list: Tasmia, Blok, Brin, and Wildfire. Not that I
expect any of them to actually show... :-(

Thanks for the quick turnaround on the chat report, Troy. With others on
the net being coy about the announcement, I was beginning to think the worst
(cancellations, etc.).

--

Jerry L. Franke fra...@cs.indiana.edu
Computer Science Dept. Indiana University

Ravi Singh Sohal

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

L. Post (po...@sccsi.com) wrote:
: Spoilers
: (emphasis on SPOIL)

: This whole 20th century thing really bugs me. I have faith that the
: creators are above any gimmicky cross-over schtick. As a die-hard
: Legion fan, I have to say that I will honestly consider dropping the books
: if Superboy becomes a member. :-P

He's already an honorary Legionnaire. Plus he's in two titles already.
I wouldn't worry about seeing him everyday.

: This is all the rabid traditionalists fault! :-(

Huh? What on Earth do you mean by that?

: J
: (hoping this is a joke, or at least well done)

Not a joke. From Previews: "LSH 84 - This issue marks a turning point in
the ongoing Legion saga, leaving the team scattered across time and space"

I'd hold off dropping the titles until after you've read a bit of the
20th century storyline. Plus, there's still a Legion in the 30th
century just like normal.

Question: Is this what it was like when DC announced the reboot? Is it
better or worse?

Sean MacDonald

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

"T. Troy McNemar, Esq." <tro...@indirect.com> wrote:

>SPOILERS - READ THIS! Almost the entire report consists of
>spoiler information on the upcoming direction for the Legion
>titles. It has been appropriately protected.

>SPOILERS AHOY
>

>SPOILERS
>

>SPOILERS
>

>SPOILERS
>

>Peyer believes the 20th century angle is a good idea because its

>currently easy to follow the DC Universe titles except for the
>Legion because of they're compartmentalized. He hopes to attract
>new readers to the book with the story angle.

Well, I always thought that being compartmentalized was one
of the Legion's *strengths*, in that you can read just the
Legion books without having to get all tangled up into other
characters' continuity. But now, you may have to know who
L.E.G.I.O.N. is as well as knowing who the Legion are, in order
to read the Legion books.

>Deadman will be the book's first guest star.

See. I bet there are some readers of L* that don't even know
who Boston Brand is.

--
-SM
"It seemed a dreadful injustice that these wise races should

Sean MacDonald

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

deli...@rice.edu (Ravi Singh Sohal) wrote:
>L. Post (po...@sccsi.com) wrote:
>: Spoilers
>: (emphasis on SPOIL)

>Question: Is this what it was like when DC announced the reboot? Is it
>better or worse?

Well, one main difference is that the reboot invalidated the
then-current LSH, whereas the 20th/30th C. split instead
will *validate* the LSH, by teaming them up with the "real"
(read: current versions of) DC Universe's inhabitants.
So, the reboot was crueler to the then-current LSH than this
split will be to the now-current LSH. However, the split may
later force a reboot, when the 20th C. inevitably is retconned.

Also, the split (20th-c skidoo?) will be temporary, another
factor in its favor. (Yes, it's a said day when the best that
can be said for a storyline is that it won't last too long...)

I wonder if Cosmic Boy II will meet the people that Cosmic
Boy I met during Legends? ("Hey, Cosmic Boy! Where's your
girlfriend, Night Girl?" "Night Girl? Who's she?")

Yeechang Lee

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

JohnHeaton <johnh...@aol.com> wrote:
|>I think I could handle up to a year -and-a-half without being bothered
|
|Two milestone are comeing up soon that would serve as logical end
|points: L* 50 (released May 1997) and LSH 100 (Nov. 1997). Both fall
|with in your "year-and-a-half" limit.

No, please no! No matter how good this arc will be, 18 months is way
too long. Even L* 50 is too long, at least in my book. Six months,
tops.

How do others feel about this?
--
http://www.columbia.edu/~ylee/ _. icbm://40.83.-73.91/
__./ |

John Adams

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

In article <slrn4oi6c...@simile.cc.columbia.edu>, yl...@columbia.edu (Yeechang Lee) writes:
> JohnHeaton <johnh...@aol.com> wrote:
> |>I think I could handle up to a year -and-a-half without being bothered
> |
> |Two milestone are comeing up soon that would serve as logical end
> |points: L* 50 (released May 1997) and LSH 100 (Nov. 1997). Both fall
> |with in your "year-and-a-half" limit.
>
> No, please no! No matter how good this arc will be, 18 months is way
> too long. Even L* 50 is too long, at least in my book. Six months,
> tops.
>
> How do others feel about this?

Well, while I may easily be swayed as soon as I start reading these, I also tend
to agree that waiting until L* 50 and/or LSH 100 would probably be way too long
to keep these kids separated from one another. Again, I'm willing to wait and
see, but no matter how good the stories are, I'll want them back togther pretty
damn fast...

John

L. Post

JohnHeaton

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

(Yeechang Lee) writes:

>No, please no! No matter how good this arc will be, 18 months is way
>too long. Even L* 50 is too long, at least in my book. Six months,
>tops.

Hmm. I agree that having it last until LSH 100 would be dragging it on
too long. Having it end in L* 50, though, would only be 10 months.
That's not so bad.

I posted the following scenario to LSH-L the other day, but I'll
reproduce it here since it seems apropos to this thread:

That having been said, I hope that they don't let this drag on too long.
Some have suggested that they wrap up the arc in LSH 100 by defeating the
Sun-Eater. But that's, what, 15 issues? Yow. That, to me, seems
excessive. Heck, the Great Darkness Saga was only five issues. A better
idea, IMHO, would be to wrap up the story in L* 50. That way, the 20th
century team has LSH 85-91 to be stranded, while the 30th century team has
L* 42-47 to find the others. They reunite in the 20th century in LSH 92,
just in time for both teams to find the Sun Eater. The LSH and the 20th
century heroes team up to face the threat; the arc runs through L* 48, LSH

93, L* 49, LSH 94 and L* 50, at which time the absorbatron bomb explosion
(or whatever) hurls them back to the 30th century.

--------------------------------
John Heaton JohnH...@aol.com
john_...@wellstone.senate.gov

One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do
and always a clever thing to say.
- Will Durant, in "Reader's Digest", 1972

Andrew A. Apold

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

Andrew glanced up from his omnicon when he heard someone using Sean MacDonald's account say:

>>Deadman will be the book's first guest star.
>

>See. I bet there are some readers of L* that don't even know
>who Boston Brand is.

Aw, c'mon, you underestimate them. "I never heard of Boston Brand Tuna before..."

I thought he was living in the Vertigo universe... oh, well, no need to start that
again after my gaff on the Spectre. Books of Magic was the last place I read about
Boston...

--
Andrew Apold (mor...@magg.net)
/**********************************************/

Martin Fagerstroem

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

Yeechang Lee wrote:

> JohnHeaton <johnh...@aol.com> wrote:
> |>I think I could handle up to a year -and-a-half without being bothered
> |
> |Two milestone are comeing up soon that would serve as logical end
> |points: L* 50 (released May 1997) and LSH 100 (Nov. 1997). Both fall
> |with in your "year-and-a-half" limit.
>
> No, please no! No matter how good this arc will be, 18 months is way
> too long. Even L* 50 is too long, at least in my book. Six months,
> tops.
>
> How do others feel about this?

In my opinion, until L* 50/LSH 100 would probably stretch my patience,
but I am willing to wait and see. Whether that would be too long or
not depends very much on the stories. If the legion simply crosses
over with half DCU in base slugfests, then I will go crazy.

If the stories are well thought out with character development, I will
read with pleasure, as I always have since reboot. I hope the 20C
legion characters will develop during their tenure, how long it may
be. If they just come back one day to 30C unchanged, as if they just
had a picknick, it will be really bad writing.

Martin, who don't have a fancy signature at the bottom of letter

L. Post

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

In article <4mavug$7...@larry.rice.edu>, deli...@rice.edu (Ravi Singh Sohal) says:

>L. Post (po...@sccsi.com) wrote:
>: Spoilers

>: (emphasis on SPOIL)

>: This whole 20th century thing really bugs me. I have faith that the
>: creators are above any gimmicky cross-over schtick. As a die-hard
>: Legion fan, I have to say that I will honestly consider dropping the books
>: if Superboy becomes a member. :-P
>
>He's already an honorary Legionnaire. Plus he's in two titles already.
>I wouldn't worry about seeing him everyday.

Yeah, I know all of that, but Superboy just makes me ill.

>: This is all the rabid traditionalists fault! :-(
>
>Huh? What on Earth do you mean by that?

Hey, I had to blame sombody. Who better than my favorite punching bags? :)

RT's are the people who go on and on about how it was so much better in
the good old days, that they wished Levitz was still writing, etc.
I really perfer the new Legion, so I like to poke 'em in the ribs whenever
I get a chance.

>: J

>: (hoping this is a joke, or at least well done)
>

>Not a joke. From Previews: "LSH 84 - This issue marks a turning point in
>the ongoing Legion saga, leaving the team scattered across time and space"

From everything I have heard, LSH 84 is shaping up to be a big issue.

>I'd hold off dropping the titles until after you've read a bit of the
>20th century storyline. Plus, there's still a Legion in the 30th
>century just like normal.

Oh, I wasn't serious about dropping the Legion titles. That is one thing
I would never do.

I just don't like the fact that 1)we won't be seeing the bi-weekly books
for the forseeable future 2) Superboy will most likely show up (big
groan on this) 3) 20c ties, early symptom of a bad case of Zero Hour
syndrome 4) all of this talk about some characters not returning is not
something I like.

*Now for what I do like*

1) Team-ups that we usually cannot see without some big time/universal
crisis 2) M'Onel can go by Valor again and maybe do some of that
legendary stuff 3) a final answer to the Enya Wazzo thing 4) Gates takes
on Gingrich *and* discovers who *really* shot JFK.

>Question: Is this what it was like when DC announced the reboot? Is it
>better or worse?

I was not here for that, but from what I hear it was much worse then.

(has faith in the PMS creative crew, and would never actually drop the
Legion Titles, even if that annoying Kid shows up)

Johanna Draper

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

In article <4mamff$5...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>,

Jerry L Franke <fra...@ucs.indiana.edu> wrote:

>> SPOILERS AHOY
>

>> SPOILERS
>

>> SPOILERS
>

>> SPOILERS
>
>The only problem with this is by that time, Ron "The Ripper" Marz will be
>writing Superboy, which means I'm going to be really tempted to break my
>Marz boycott to get the Legion appearance.

Just because Marz is writing the Superboy title doesn't mean that 1) the
Legion will appear in Superboy or 2) that Marz will write that issue. After
all, Impulse is Waid's title, but he hasn't written every issue of it.

http://bronze.ucs.indiana.edu/~fchary/johanna.html * Comicology columnist
"If I can't get an angel, I can still get a boy, and a boy would be the
next best thing." -- Tonight Is What It Means to Be Young, Jim Steinman

Avedon Carol

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

> Peyer's upcoming story in Showcase '96 involves Vril Dox meeting
> the Legion of Super-Heroes. He observes that there are a lot of
> Brainiacs in the story. LSH versus Computer Tyrants is possible.

Lessee, this could mean Querl, Vril, Vril II, Lyrl, and 'Mr Starr' (aka
Computer Tyrants of Colu, aka -presumably- Pulsar Stargrave). Yep, that's
a lot of Brainiacs.

> At least one 20th century character will return to the 30th
> century *if* the team ever makes it back to that century.

Among all the speculation as to who's going, no-one has yet speculated on
who might be returning (at least, not in any posts that've shown up here
yet). Main candidates are presumably young heroes currently without
titles of their own. My suggestions are:

Terra: no duplication of existing LSH powers, unlike Mirage.
Jade: gets Green Lantern power into 30thC without GLC.
Pantha: no current duplication of powers, lots of opportunity for
personality conflicts.
The Ray: interesting powers (does he still have own title?)

Various people have suggested Mary Marvel might work well with the group,
but I think it might be more interesting to have someone in the 30thC
gain the power of SHAZAM (so long as there's no mention as to the fate of
the 20thC Marvels, of course).

Rob Hansen <http://www.interedu.com/interedu/iecuk.html>
(Though using Avedon Carol's account, I am not her, nor does she
read this newsgroup. Please watch those automatic attributors.
Avedon's feminist anti-censorship page can be seen at
http://www.fullfeed.com/hypatia/censor.html)

David K. Johnston

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96
to mr...@ksu.ksu.edu

>Well, while I may easily be swayed as soon as I start reading these, I also tend
>to agree that waiting until L* 50 and/or LSH 100 would probably be way too long
>to keep these kids separated from one another. Again, I'm willing to wait and
>see, but no matter how good the stories are, I'll want them back togther pretty
>damn fast...

I don't mind the LSH going back in time but I *do* mind having them split up for a
long period of time. 18 months is definetly too long for my tastes, but then again
I'm impatient. I really wish they were keeping the team together. I get antsy just
waiting two weeks for the next LSH or L comic to come out. Oh well, I have you guys
to chat with while I'm waiting so it makes it better. Did I mention that it's really
cool to find other people who like LSH and L as much as I. That's very comforting
for me because I don't know another single person in Singapore that reads these
books.
-Su

Melsteve

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

In article <4mfkop$j...@raffles.technet.sg>, "David K. Johnston"
<john...@po.pacific.net.sg> writes:

>I don't mind the LSH going back in time but I *do* mind having them split
up
>for a
>long period of time. 18 months is definetly too long for my tastes, but
then
>again
>I'm impatient.

Y'know, this perplexes me. There was a time not to long ago when you
didn't know how long a storyline was going to last. Most editors (since
Batman: Year One) spoil it by putting "1 of 5" on the cover so they can
call them "mini series within a series".

I used to love not knowing from month to month even an approximation of
what was going to happen. I imagine that many of us remember those days
so fondly because (aside from the fact the time can hide the seams and
scars) there weren't such things as catalogs and spoilers. In 1982
Superman was seperated into two half-powerful Supermen. One could fly,
one had heat vision, etc. It lasted about 8 months, but you wouldn't know
it until the last part. I was 12 and have probably never been more
excited by a Superman comic. The execution of the book wasn't that great,
but it had a greater power than most books today: surprise.

18 months is not that long of a wait for a good story and that is the only
responsibility these Legion creators have: good stories. Adhering to fan
dictations is not on the job description and it's an arrogance fans don't
generally have towards other mediums. Yet many comic fans think they are a
direct part of the creaive process. Nope. I'm buying the book because of
what these creators are doing, not your ideas. Don't expect your word to
be gospel just because you spend $4.50 a month.

Become a comic writer\artist\letterer\colorist\editor and show the rest of
the world how it's supposed to be done.

If it take five years for a good story - so what.

Melsteve
good.......................day

If it take five years for a good story - so what.

Sean MacDonald

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

ave...@cix.compulink.co.uk (Rob "not Avedon Carol" Hansen)
wrote:

>Lessee, this could mean Querl, Vril, Vril II, Lyrl, and 'Mr Starr' (aka
>Computer Tyrants of Colu, aka -presumably- Pulsar Stargrave). Yep, that's
>a lot of Brainiacs.
>

>> At least one 20th century character will return to the 30th
>> century *if* the team ever makes it back to that century.
>

>Among all the speculation as to who's going, no-one has yet speculated on
>who might be returning

How about some of the Braniacs? Like, say, Pulsar Stargrave?

(at least, not in any posts that've shown up here
>yet). Main candidates are presumably young heroes currently without
>titles of their own. My suggestions are:
>

>The Ray: interesting powers (does he still have own title?)

Uh, yes. And it doesn't look like it's gonna end anytime soon.
And he's done too much time-travelling as it is; he even
screwed up his dad's costume in the past...

(Although, if he could somehow "fix" the LSHers costumes to
preboot versions, I wouldn't mind...)

Avedon Carol

May 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/4/96

> >Deadman will be the book's first guest star.
>
> See. I bet there are some readers of L* that don't even know
> who Boston Brand is.
> --
> -SM

I sincerely hope they draw Deadman the traditional way rather than in
that awful Kelley Jones version.

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

Previously on racdl, Craig Hyde wrote:
>T. Troy McNemar, Esq. wrote:

>> SPOILERS AHOY
>>
>> SPOILERS
>>
>> SPOILERS
>>
>> SPOILERS
>>

>Spoilers INDEED!
>

>Yeah yeah , SPOIL ME!

> I STILL, like the idea, but I'm nervous about only one thing...
>I understand that they don't want to tell us how long they'll be
>the the 20th century, but I'd at least like an upper bound.

Okay, how about 5 years? After that, it will be the 21st century! :)

>I think

>I could handle up to a year -and-a-half without being bothered,
>but after that, I'd get annoyed. Even so, as long as I knew they
>were EVENTUALLY coming back, I could handle it.

I hope you saw the 5/2 chat report which indicated that the time-trapped
Legionnaires are eventually coming back. Personally, I think 8 issues is
about the right amount of time for this storyline, but I can see them taking
10 and wrapping it up in L* #50. At the outside, LSH #100 may be the ending
point.

> I just don't want to die of heart disease, prostate cancer,
>or some other age-related disease before the LEgionnaires make it
>back to the 30th century!

Well, then, you'd better take care of yourself! :)

> The LEgion is, BY DEFINITON, a book that should take place
>in the 30th century. A visit to the 20th century is nice, but they
>shouldn't ever live there.

Ahem! *I* happen to live in the 20th century! Are you making a negative
comment about my era?!? :)

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com

"I am not known for my sense of fun."
--Death, "Reaper Man"
LLL!

David K. Johnston

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96
to mels...@aol.com

>18 months is not that long of a wait for a good story and that is the only
>responsibility these Legion creators have: good stories. Adhering to fan
>dictations is not on the job description and it's an arrogance fans don't
>generally have towards other mediums. Yet many comic fans think they are a
>direct part of the creaive process. Nope. I'm buying the book because of
>what these creators are doing, not your ideas. Don't expect your word to
>be gospel just because you spend $4.50 a month.

Sheesh! I was just saying that I'm impatient! Don't get so riled up! I'm still
gonna read the books and stuff. And I'm sure I'll probably enjoy them. I don't
expect the writers to pander to my wishes. I just expressed that I hope it
doesn't last too long.
By the way, I pay more than $4.50 on LSH and L. They cost more in Singarore. It's
like S$5 per comic here. I generally spend over S$50 per month on comics.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I wasn't insulting anyone or anything.
Can't a person express their feelings without someone jumping down their throat?
I just happen to be the type of person who doesn't like waiting.

>Become a comic writer\artist\letterer\colorist\editor and show the rest of
>the world how it's supposed to be done.

Thanks. Actually, I am writing a Batman story. I like writing and stuff. I would
love to work in the comics industry some day.

>If it take five years for a good story - so what.

Yeah, I know, but it can be tiresome for impatient people like me.
Anyway, care to chat via e-mail sometime? I always like to chat with fellow
LSH and L fans.
Keep in touch.
-Su

Lev Kalman

May 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/5/96

Oh, what the hell...
SPOILERS

><john...@po.pacific.net.sg> writes:

>>I don't mind the LSH going back in time but I *do* mind having them split
>up
>>for a
>>long period of time. 18 months is definetly too long for my tastes, but
>then
>>again
>>I'm impatient.

18 months is the perfect time for me...
Any less would be silly. Let's face it, this is probably the last time ever the
LSH will be stuck in the twentieth century for a long period of time, the
creators have a duty to take advantage of that, because nowone will ever have a
chance to do it better. If they miss just one opportunity ( Joe/Phase,
Brainy/Brainy, Kingdom Come, what happened to Time and Time agan?) I will never
forgive them.
LEV:)
=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=**
My LSH home page: http://members.gnn.com/levkowman/index.htm
The Space Cowboy owns the previous message, DO NOT attempt to sell it without his permission. :)
"I am certain the purity of your motives will inspire many rousing songs. Now, GoodBYE." Brainiac 5 to Kinetix, LSH 81

Douglas Limmer

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

"David K. Johnston" <john...@po.pacific.net.sg> wrote:
(actually Su)

>Can't a person express their feelings without someone jumping down their throat?

Not here. :-)

More seriously, this newsgroup isn't a good place to "vent". People
here (at least many of them) assume that if you post something, you
want people to discuss it with you. And there are _always_ people who
will take the opposite side, and do so enthusiastically.

I've found that, personally, if I feel the need to "vent" on a
storyline, I'll write the article, and then not post it. It still
makes me feel better.

None of this should be read as me saying "don't vent", or even "you
shouldn't vent"; just be prepared for the consequences. :-)

Douglas Limmer -- lim...@math.orst.edu

Thomas F. Revor Jr.

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

R. Tang wrote:

Dive! Dive! Dive!

SPOILERS

SPOILERS

> >>Jeff points out that part of them team will remain in the 30th
> >>century, and that they'll need more members.
> >

> >Yet more characters? My gracious!
>

> And an avenue for more fan favorites to come back. Gee...who
> woulda thunk it....

To heck with some of the fan faves... It means the return of...

THE LEGION TRY-OUTS!

(and there was much rejoicing...)

R. Tang

May 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/6/96

In article <4mfum1$6...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>,

Melsteve <mels...@aol.com> wrote:

>18 months is not that long of a wait for a good story and that is the only
>responsibility these Legion creators have: good stories. Adhering to fan
>dictations is not on the job description and it's an arrogance fans don't
>generally have towards other mediums.

Two words: Star Trek.

Legion fans don't have NOTHING on Trekkies. (Though a double dose
of this AND the continuing brouhaha on the trek groups is leaving me a
bit....testy).

--
Roger Tang, gwan...@u.washington.edu, Artistic Director PC Theatre
Editor, Asian American Theatre Central:
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~gwangung/TC.html
"The most unAmerican thing you can say is "He/she makes too much money."

Michael Klordny Grabois

May 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/9/96

On 3 May 1996 14:52:04 GMT, mor...@magg.net (Andrew A. Apold) wrote:

>Andrew glanced up from his omnicon when he heard someone using Sean MacDonald's account say:
>>

>>>Deadman will be the book's first guest star.
>>

>>See. I bet there are some readers of L* that don't even know
>>who Boston Brand is.

>Aw, c'mon, you underestimate them. "I never heard of Boston Brand Tuna before..."

>I thought he was living in the Vertigo universe... oh, well, no need to start that
>again after my gaff on the Spectre. Books of Magic was the last place I read about
>Boston...

Deadman is currently appearing in a 3-issue "Batman" arc.

Michael R. Grabois | http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mgrabois
Houston, TX | or...@ix.netcom.com CI$: 74737,2600
The Anal Retentive Legion checklists now online at the URL above.
"The ritual Klordny Toast... to Freedom, Friendship, and Frunt!"

Don Brinker

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

ave...@cix.compulink.co.uk (Rob Hansen in disguise) wrote (a looong
time ago):

>> At least one 20th century character will return to the 30th
>> century *if* the team ever makes it back to that century.

>Among all the speculation as to who's going, no-one has yet speculated on

>who might be returning (at least, not in any posts that've shown up here

>yet). Main candidates are presumably young heroes currently without
>titles of their own. My suggestions are:

>Terra: no duplication of existing LSH powers, unlike Mirage.

>Jade: gets Green Lantern power into 30thC without GLC.
>Pantha: no current duplication of powers, lots of opportunity for
>personality conflicts.

>The Ray: interesting powers (does he still have own title?)

<Snip>

Er, has everybody forgotten the most obvious choice? Seems to me they
have the perfect solution to the Phase/Apparition problem all ready to
go...

- Don
Who's *Finally* on a new ISP....

tek...@vnet.ibm.com

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

I repeat (maybe someone will listen): How can a 20th century character
RETURN to the 30th century, unless they have already been there? There
are seven post-boot characters that seem to fit this description:

Superman : Not very likely
Superboy : Two 20th century titles, again, not likely
M'Onel : Possible, but I don't think he is going back to begin with
Flash : Doubtful, unless John Fox succeeds <g>
Impulse : Max isn't done with him yet (Mark probably isn't, either)
Iris : Is she a 20th century character? 30th?
Lori : My personal choice- she doesn't have a life in the 20th century
any more, and if you are going to be out of place, why not in
the 30th century where things will probably be easier, as well
as more exciting?

Vic Vitek

(who started out saying five characters, and ended up with seven and I
think I'm missing someone else)

---> These do not necessarily reflect the views of IBM, my family, my
pets, or any sane person.

Don Brinker

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

tek...@vnet.ibm.com wrote:

>In <4nbh63$t...@paraguay.it.earthlink.net> dbri...@earthlink.net (Don Brinker) writes:
>>ave...@cix.compulink.co.uk (Rob Hansen in disguise) wrote (a looong
>>time ago):

>>Er, has everybody forgotten the most obvious choice? Seems to me they
>>have the perfect solution to the Phase/Apparition problem all ready to
>>go...
>>

>I repeat (maybe someone will listen): How can a 20th century character
>RETURN to the 30th century, unless they have already been there? There
>are seven post-boot characters that seem to fit this description:

>Superman : Not very likely
>Superboy : Two 20th century titles, again, not likely
>M'Onel : Possible, but I don't think he is going back to begin with
>Flash : Doubtful, unless John Fox succeeds <g>
>Impulse : Max isn't done with him yet (Mark probably isn't, either)
>Iris : Is she a 20th century character? 30th?
>Lori : My personal choice- she doesn't have a life in the 20th century
> any more, and if you are going to be out of place, why not in
> the 30th century where things will probably be easier, as well
> as more exciting?

Well, I think you're putting to much emphasis on "return". After all,
if I go to Lower Slobovia and bring somebody back with me, you could
technically say that person is "returning" with me, even if they've
never seen Washigton DC in their life.

But even if we take your definition, Phase is still a candidate.
After all, she did appear in the 20th century from the 30th. Well,
that was preboot, but it's arguable that she's still somebody from the
30th, even if it's not the same 30th...

<Don's head explodes from trying to figure out this multiple-timeline
stuff...>

Ow. On the other hand, maybe not :-)

- Don