LSH: AOL Chat for 8/11/98: Tom McCraw

Danny Miller

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
In article <3.0.1.32.1998081...@pop.intergate.bc.ca>, Alex Tam
<gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:

> Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) was the guest on America Online's
> Legion of Super-Heroes Chat for Tuesday, August 11, 1998.

<snip>

> SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
> toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
> info from the more general comments.
>
> :=========================:
>
> Tom expects that his coloring work on the CRISIS hardcover and its new
> chapter will be released at about the same time.

> Tom said that Tom Peyer had had an idea for an Earth 1/Earth 2 Legion
> Elseworlds.

I may be nuts, but methinks it'd be real funny to juxtaspose these two
comments.... :)

> This week's L* #65 focuses on Brainy, who still unofficially carries the
> '5.1' at the end of his codename. The following issue of L* showcases
> Lyle.

Needless to say, it will be printed on cellophane.

> Karate Kid gets some action in LSH #110.

Geez, only a few months since he joined and *already* he has a date...!

> Some rough ideas have been cooked up for the Legion of Super-Villains.

Why? The LSV isn't smart enough to come up with its own?

> Tom indicated that Violet may soon become interested in someone, who
> isn't Lyle.

*cough*cough*FERRO!!!*cough*cough*

> In L* #68, Monstress is accused of being a traitor.

No comment. :)

--
Sometimes you just have to say, "What the f***." -- Curtis 'Miles'
Armstrong, _Risky Business_

Ben Weiss

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
Alex Tam wrote:

> Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) was the guest on America Online's
> Legion of Super-Heroes Chat for Tuesday, August 11, 1998. Legion of
> Super-Heroes Chat takes place every Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of
> AOL at 6:00 PM EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every Thursday in the same
> area at 10:00 PM EST. (Keyword: CHAT DC.) Regular guests include Tom
> McCraw, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd and Mike McAvennie.
>
> Thanks to T. Troy McNemar who originated the Legion Chat Reports; so much
> of the format of these writeups was derived from his hard work.
>
> DISCLAIMER: I can't guarantee the reliability of this report. Essentially,
> the Legion chats involve about twenty-five fans shouting repeated questions
> to the creators. The creators are sometimes unable to answer questions
> thoroughly or clarify their responses. As a result, misinterpretations may
> occur on my part.

> SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found
> toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
> info from the more general comments.
>
> SUBSCRIPTIONS: To subscribe to these chat reports, send an e-mail to
> "majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lsh-chats". To
> unsubscribe, send the message "unsubscribe lsh-chats" to the same address.

> :=========================:

> Tom thinks that L* #67 has the first of Chris Sprouse's covers.

This issue was a fine second-last hurrah for Jeff--it looked great.

> Tom said that Tom Peyer had had an idea for an Earth 1/Earth 2 Legion
> Elseworlds.

Sounds like fun...

> Karate Kid gets some action in LSH #110.

At least both he and Jan got to speak this issue. Interestingly, seems
like Garth is becoming one of the more under-used members lately.

> The next year of L* will feature a two-parter with magic and Dragonmage.

Good. (Psst...BETTER feature Mysa.)

> In L* #68, Monstress is accused of being a traitor.

Even better. Just so long as Kid Quantum gets to play a big role and
doesn't turn out to be the real traitor.
Ben
eleme...@lsh.org

Cole Odell

Aug 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/12/98
Alex Tam wrote:

> Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) was the guest on America Online's
> Legion of Super-Heroes Chat for Tuesday, August 11, 1998.

> The cancellation of POWER OF SHAZAM! should make the use of Thunder a
> little more flexible, although the creators will still be checking with POS
> writer Jerry Ordway. She might be more powerful than the 20th century
> Marvels since she doesn't have to share her powers.

I hope they check with Jerry soon to clear up this particular
misconception. The power sharing *was* an aspect of early issues of POS,
but was eventually changed so that all the Marvels could be at full
strength at once.

Cole Odell

Alex Tam

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
[...]

PLUGS: To subscribe to Lev Kalman's humorous LSH pics, send an e-mail to
"majo...@mlists.com" with the message "subscribe lev-pics". You'll get a
new cartoon e-mailed to you about once every two weeks.

To browse this fan's STARMAN website, visit
http://users.aol.com/nachro2/starhome.htm

Finally, for all your LSH online needs, check out the Legion of
Super-Resources at http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm

SPECIAL THANKS: To Scott Bierworth for his assistance in logging tonight's
chat.

:=========================:

Tom expects that his coloring work on the CRISIS hardcover and its new
chapter will be released at about the same time.

Tom thinks that L* #67 has the first of Chris Sprouse's covers.

Tom said that Tom Peyer had had an idea for an Earth 1/Earth 2 Legion
Elseworlds.

There are no plans for Darkseid to appear in the 30th Century.

Tom isn't sure if reporter Condo Arlik has powers.

Laurel's post-anomaly powers are still developing.

This week's L* #65 focuses on Brainy, who still unofficially carries the
'5.1' at the end of his codename. The following issue of L* showcases Lyle.

Karate Kid gets some action in LSH #110.

Some rough ideas have been cooked up for the Legion of Super-Villains.

XS will appear in the FLASH story "Chained Lightning" which revolves around
the family.

Tom indicated that Violet may soon become interested in someone, who isn't
Lyle.

The cancellation of POWER OF SHAZAM! should make the use of Thunder a

little more flexible, although the creators will still be checking with POS
writer Jerry Ordway. She might be more powerful than the 20th century

Marvels since she doesn't have to share her powers. With her arrival, the
stories in LSH will feature some new planets. Tom didn't know if we'd see
her homeworld.

The next year of L* will feature a two-parter with magic and Dragonmage.

In L* #68, Monstress is accused of being a traitor.

*****And I'm outta here! For the next week and some, I'll be away on
vacation. Chat reports will probably resume on Tuesday, August 25, with
information from the chats I will have missed.*****

-- Alex Tam
gol...@intergate.bc.ca; Nachro2 on AOL

John J Troutman

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
Alex Tam wrote:

> Tom McCraw (LSH/L* co-plotter/colorist) was the guest on America Online's
> Legion of Super-Heroes Chat for Tuesday, August 11, 1998. Legion of
> Super-Heroes Chat takes place every Tuesday in the DC Comics Online area of
> AOL at 6:00 PM EST. Legionnaires Chat is held every Thursday in the same
> area at 10:00 PM EST. (Keyword: CHAT DC.) Regular guests include Tom
> McCraw, Jeff Moy, Ron Boyd and Mike McAvennie.

> SPOILERS: Information that spoils current or upcoming issues is found

> toward the end of this report. There's no spoiler space to separate such
> info from the more general comments.
>

> There are no plans for Darkseid to appear in the 30th Century.

Fair enough. He and Vandal Savage are probably DC's most overused
vilains anyway.

> This week's L* #65 focuses on Brainy, who still unofficially carries the
> '5.1' at the end of his codename. The following issue of L* showcases Lyle.

Woo-hoo!

> Karate Kid gets some action in LSH #110.
>
> Some rough ideas have been cooked up for the Legion of Super-Villains.

must...not...juxtapose..

> XS will appear in the FLASH story "Chained Lightning" which revolves around
> the family.

With Marlon Brando as Max Mercury.

> The cancellation of POWER OF SHAZAM! should make the use of Thunder a
> little more flexible, although the creators will still be checking with POS
> writer Jerry Ordway.

Good of them to do that.

> The next year of L* will feature a two-parter with magic and Dragonmage.

And Mysa too, hopefully.

> In L* #68, Monstress is accused of being a traitor.

The trial will be conducted entirely via thought balloons.

Jeff Troutman
NP: The Fall - Cerebral Caustic

plai...@mailcity.com

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
as foretold by prophecy, the one men call 'Danny Miller' wrote...

[Tom McCraw indicates Violet may soon 'main squeeze.']

> *cough*cough*FERRO!!!*cough*cough*

ahem... *cough*!KINETIX!*cough* ...

--
-plaid lad!-
as if anything *that* interesting would happen to the legion...

plai...@mailcity.com

Aug 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/13/98
as foretold by prophecy, the one men call 'acid...@fuse.net' wrote...

[XS, "Chained Lightning" and the 'family.']

> With Marlon Brando as Max Mercury.

also staring james cahn as barry allen, robert duvall as johnny quick and al
pachino as wally west.

WALLY: bart, i love you like a cousin... but *never* side against the family
again...

--
-plaid lad!-

Dale Hicks

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote in article
<3.0.1.32.1998081...@pop.intergate.bc.ca>...

> Tom expects that his coloring work on the CRISIS hardcover and its new
> chapter will be released at about the same time.

Perez' art will be released a week later, however.

> Tom said that Tom Peyer had had an idea for an Earth 1/Earth 2 Legion
> Elseworlds.

Except, as I've been corrected/informed, there was no Earth-2
Legion (due to there being no Superboy to inspire it). This was
apparently revealed in Crisis.

--
Norman Brain icono...@mail1.surfnet1.net

wo...@interlog.com

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
On 18 Aug 1998 21:29:40 GMT, "Dale Hicks"
<icono...@mail1.surfnet1NATASEVOLI.net> wrote:

>> Tom said that Tom Peyer had had an idea for an Earth 1/Earth 2 Legion
>> Elseworlds.

>Except, as I've been corrected/informed, there was no Earth-2
>Legion (due to there being no Superboy to inspire it). This was
>apparently revealed in Crisis.

Thus the Elseworlds...ie "not based in ANY previous
continuity"...label.

Bill Hay

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <35D18E...@biggs-gilmore.com>, Cole Odell wrote:
>I hope they check with Jerry soon to clear up this particular
>misconception. The power sharing *was* an aspect of early issues of POS,
>but was eventually changed so that all the Marvels could be at full
>strength at once.

I don't think this was definitively established. They may still
be sharing power just having so much to share that it isn't noticable.
Since the power up I can't think of an incident where the power levels
of the marvels has been seriously tested.
ie if the other 2 were powered down 1 Marvel might be able to knock
superman into next week.

Hal Shipman

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
On Tue, 18 Aug 1998 22:17:07 GMT, wo...@interlog.com wrote:

>On 18 Aug 1998 21:29:40 GMT, "Dale Hicks"
><icono...@mail1.surfnet1NATASEVOLI.net> wrote:
>
>>Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote in article
>><3.0.1.32.1998081...@pop.intergate.bc.ca>...
>>
>>> Tom said that Tom Peyer had had an idea for an Earth 1/Earth 2 Legion
>>> Elseworlds.
>
>>Except, as I've been corrected/informed, there was no Earth-2
>>Legion (due to there being no Superboy to inspire it). This was
>>apparently revealed in Crisis.

This was "revealed" WAY before Crisis. Back in the Shooter era LSH
letter columns. About once a year, if I remember right.

Hal.

Nick Eden

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
On 18 Aug 1998 21:29:40 GMT, "Dale Hicks"
<icono...@mail1.surfnet1NATASEVOLI.net> wrote:

>> Tom said that Tom Peyer had had an idea for an Earth 1/Earth 2 Legion
>> Elseworlds.
>
>Except, as I've been corrected/informed, there was no Earth-2
>Legion (due to there being no Superboy to inspire it). This was
>apparently revealed in Crisis.

Well that's why it would be an Elseworld, wouldn't it.
Driving for Loons
The American Southwest: Too many miles in too few days
http://www.pheasnt.demon.co.uk/Driving.html

Kevin Chang

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98

Dale Hicks wrote:

> > Tom said that Tom Peyer had had an idea for an Earth 1/Earth 2 Legion
> > Elseworlds.
>
> Except, as I've been corrected/informed, there was no Earth-2
> Legion (due to there being no Superboy to inspire it). This was
> apparently revealed in Crisis.

For an Elseworlds, then, how about a Legion inspired by Power Girl? Did
she have any teen adventures pre-Crisis? I'm not familiar with her
first appearance...

What types of subtle changes would this create, I wonder.

-Kevin

Dan McEwen

Aug 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/20/98
On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 23:24:45 +0100, Kevin Chang <kevin...@erols.com>
wrote:

>Dale Hicks wrote:
>
>> Alex Tam <gol...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote in article
>> <3.0.1.32.1998081...@pop.intergate.bc.ca>...
>> > Tom said that Tom Peyer had had an idea for an Earth 1/Earth 2 Legion
>> > Elseworlds.
>>
>> Except, as I've been corrected/informed, there was no Earth-2
>> Legion (due to there being no Superboy to inspire it). This was
>> apparently revealed in Crisis.
>
>For an Elseworlds, then, how about a Legion inspired by Power Girl? Did
>she have any teen adventures pre-Crisis? I'm not familiar with her
>first appearance...

Power Girl was never a teenager on Earth. She got here fully grown.
That said, there was still a team of young heroes around called
Infinity, Inc. who would have been a nice inspiration.

Dan
fe...@lsh.org
Home Page - http://home.att.net/~djmcewen
Fanfic - http://home.att.net/~djmcewen/Integrated.html