Pro/Fan Trivia questions sought

Tom Galloway

Jul 7, 2008, 7:42:57 PM7/7/08
This year's San Diego Pro/Fan Trivia will have Len Wein, Kurt Busiek, Mark
Waid, and Robert Skir going up against Tom Galloway, Terence Chua, David
Oakes, and John Sardegna, with the questions being asked by Peter
David. We're looking for people to write questions for it, with this year's
theme being "Young Heroes".

Specifically, we're looking for questions about characters college aged or
below, from stories published from 1956-1986 (essentially the Silver Age and
Pre-Crisis). For example, Superboy, Supergirl, the Legion of Super-Heroes,
Robin, Teen Titans, Spider-Man, Human Torch, the original X-Men and Kitty
Pryde, etc.. If you send in a Legion question, we request that you also
send in at least one non-Legion question for each Legion question, as we
don't want an excessively Legion dominated set of questions.

There are two types of questions in the match, toss-ups and bonuses. You
should mark your questions with what type you think they are. Toss-ups can
only be answered by individuals, while the full team can consult on the
latter. The latter can thus (and should) be both harder and perhaps a bit
more complex in terms of a correct answer. In general, questions requiring
more than one answer ("Name seven of the villains who appeared in the story
about Reed and Sue's wedding") should be bonuses, not toss-ups. Ideally, I
think 90% of toss-ups should be answered correctly, while around 50-70% of
bonuses should.

Questions should not ask for issue numbers (they can be included in the
question, but try for more descriptive set-ups than just "Who was the
villain in Forbush-Man #3?") or creators. We're interested in story
content. Also, unless it was fairly memorable, please don't write questions
on the order of "In Superboy #158, Lex Luthor revealed a particular fondness
for what Martian dessert?" where this was never mentioned again outside of
that one panel.

For a record of 2003's match, including all questions and whether and who
answered them correctly, see:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=bfira3%24nqt%241%40panix2.panix.com

I'll just note that ones I think were probably too easy were Tossup #10,
Bonus #11, and Bonus #13. Ones I think were probably too hard were Tossups
2, 8, and 20.

Finally, if possible, try to add a bit of style to the questions, so they're
not of very basic forms like "What's the Top's real name?" "Who fought
Forbush-Man in Forbush-Man #1?", etc. I like Tossups 3 and 14 from the 2003
match in this regard.

Questions should be sent to hal_...@yahoo.com

The match'll be Sunday the 27th, 2:30, in Room 4.

Thanks,
Tom Galloway
tyg t...@panix.com
--
--Yes, the .sig has changed

OM

Jul 9, 2008, 10:14:45 PM7/9/08
On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:42:57 +0000 (UTC), t...@panix.com (Old Ego Trip)
wrote:

>Specifically, we're looking for questions about characters college aged or
>below,

...What? You don't have a trivia question file to go with your
infamous .sig file? Tsk.

[shakes head at the irony]

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [

Tom Galloway

Jul 11, 2008, 4:11:05 AM7/11/08
In article <u2sa74lhjfn82d67e...@4ax.com>,
OM <om@all_trolls_must_DIE.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:42:57 +0000 (UTC), t...@panix.com (Tom Galloway)

>wrote:
>
>>Specifically, we're looking for questions about characters college aged or
>>below,
>
>...What? You don't have a trivia question file to go with your
>infamous .sig file? Tsk.
>
>[shakes head at the irony]

Shakes head at the stupidity of suggesting that someone playing in the match
should supply questions for it.

Also shakes head at OM's now 20+ year obsession towards me.

OM

Jul 13, 2008, 8:53:08 AM7/13/08
-On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:11:05 +0000 (UTC), t...@panix.com (Tom
Galloway) wrote:

>Also shakes head at OM's now 20+ year obsession towards me.

...Yeah, well, in your case, we know which head you're shaking.

>--Yes, the .sig has changed

...Aw. Did Tyg lose his precious little .sig database? Tsk.

OM

Jul 13, 2008, 9:55:39 AM7/13/08
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:11:05 +0000 (UTC), t...@panix.com (Old Ego Trip)
wrote:

>Shakes head at the stupidity of suggesting that someone playing in the match

>should supply questions for it.

...On the other hand, it does have one wonder why those running said
match aren't making this request themselves.