1st Annual RACC "Convention"

1 view

Chris Gumprich

Jul 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/2/96

Hey, stop that! I can see some of you out there, rolling your eyes, thinking
"Oh, great, Gumprich has come up with yet another stupid idea that he will
never go through with." Well, poop on you.

Anyways...

Seeing as we're scattered across the globe, a full RACC Convention in reality
is painfully unrealistic. So, I'm proposing that a bunch of us write a
story detailing this fictional convention.

You have no idea what I mean? Okay, it's like this:

The story will contain bits written by authors that would simulate a "real
life" presentation, or panel. For instance, we could have a "Panel
Discussion: Should We Bring Back The Elders?" featuring (names grabbed
at random) Dave Van Domelen, Martin Phipps, Russ Allbery, and Jeff Barnes,
which would probably be written, tongue placed firmly in cheek, by one
or two (or even none) of the panelists. As well, we could have scenes
describing parties taking place in the hotel rooms of various RACCers,
who is giving away free previews (A good example, "Chris Gumprich is
handing out never-before-seen copies of his permanently unfinished work,
'The Last LNH Story'.)

All I need for this, are five or six people willing to write, and a
good number of you (authors AND readers) who would send an RSVP that they
plan to attend.

RACCCon I.

The First Of Many?

-=-Chris-=-

(BTW, who does everyone think should be the guest of honor?)

K. M. Wilcox

Jul 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/2/96

In article <umgumpri.836276429@castor>, umgu...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Chris
Gumprich) wrote:

> Anyways...
>
> Seeing as we're scattered across the globe, a full RACC Convention in reality
> is painfully unrealistic. So, I'm proposing that a bunch of us write a
> story detailing this fictional convention.

Ah, but where? In London? Paris? Tokyo? Calcutta? Omaha? Bandraginus V?
And will it be at the Ritz or the Motel 6 on Route 81?

> All I need for this, are five or six people willing to write, and a
> good number of you (authors AND readers) who would send an RSVP that they
> plan to attend.
>
> RACCCon I.
>

> (BTW, who does everyone think should be the guest of honor?)

K. M. Wilcox
working on ABC 8 when he can make the trek to the computer lab...

Dave Van Domelen

Jul 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/2/96

This sounds kinda like what the Superguy people do for the Grunions.
Everyone involved contributes pieces, and by the time the novel-sized piece
is posted, it's about time to start the next year's voting. }->
Dave Van Domelen, got the School House Rock Boxed Set today, Yay! But
also had his circular slide rule stolen yesterday, boo!

P.S. I'll be wearing my LNH shirt one of the days I'm at Origins.

Jeff McCoskey~

Jul 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/2/96

In article <4rc4eg$20...@chnews.ch.intel.com>, jj...@ix.netcom.com (Jeff McCoskey~) writes:

> > (BTW, who does everyone think should be the guest of honor?)
> >

> I have several nominations:
>
> Scavenger, if he'll have anything to do with us
> Martin, as the drafter of the RACC RFD
> Saint, see Scav
> Tori Fike, who is out there somewhere as of a year ago
> Rob Furr, Robotech or Swede as exchange students
> with Drizzt or Dave Van Domelen as safeties ;]

AND Russ Allbery, peerless archivist, net servicist

[Sorry, typed in such a hurry I missed a hugely important nominee.]

JJMcC

Jeff McCoskey~

Jul 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/2/96

In article <umgumpri.836276429@castor>, umgu...@cc.umanitoba.ca (Chris Gumprich) writes:

> [...] I'm proposing that a bunch of us write a
> story detailing this fictional convention. [...]

> The story will contain bits written by authors that would simulate a "real

> life" presentation, or panel. [...]

> All I need for this, are five or six people willing to write, and a
> good number of you (authors AND readers) who would send an RSVP that they
> plan to attend.
>
> RACCCon I.

I think this is a fabulous idea -- perhaps just the thing to spark new
readers. I think its so fabulous, if anything I will accuse Chris of thinking
too _small_. Why have this be a one-shot? Why not a week/weeks of RACC-centric
togetherness?

Here's my idea: a semi-formalized collection of posts under the RCON_I
banner. What I envision (now bear with me) is the following:

RCON_I: PANEL -- "Increasing RACC membership"
RCON_I: PANEL -- "RACC Universes -- the Best and Why"
RCON_I: PANEL -- "Short-Lived Universes that Deserved Better"
RCON_I: PANEL -- "ADMIN -- The FAQ, Moderation, Raccies and everything
else we'd like to change"

RCON_I: TABLES -- every 'publishing house' displays its wares (ie back
issue summaries, series teasers, previews of upcoming stuff, etc.)

RCON_I: SOCIAL -- tales of virtual parties, trysts, revelry and too
much Mr. Paprika -- IRC logs anyone?

RCON_I: KEYNOTE -- An address/essay by the Guest of Honor

Ambitious you say? I haven't yet begun to dream. (Incidentally, the
panel topics are just my suggestion. Additions/Substitutes encouraged)

To make it work we'd need the following key players:

MC -- overall coordinator, assigns roles to volunteers, formats
Panel Leaders -- these guys run their panel as they see fit. I would
recommend a 2-pass approach. The Leader forms a series of say 3-6 questions,
solicits answers from panel members, collects these and resends to the panel to
collect comments, then organises the whole thing for posting.
Panel Members -- express opinions to Leader in a timely fashion,
possibly appearing on multiple panels
Guest of Honor -- drafts an essay on RACC, gets kudos.

I also suggest a Sept timeframe for this -- both to give lead time for
the panels and a chance to attract new blood.

> (BTW, who does everyone think should be the guest of honor?)

I have several nominations:

Scavenger, if he'll have anything to do with us
Martin, as the drafter of the RACC RFD
Saint, see Scav
Tori Fike, who is out there somewhere as of a year ago
Rob Furr, Robotech or Swede as exchange students
with Drizzt or Dave Van Domelen as safeties ;]

Needless to say, I am naming myself as a volunteer. Is there interest
in this, or am I off on some cul-de-sac by my lonesome?

Later, JJMcC

Chris Gumprich

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

*Ahem*

I would like to throw my full support behind Jeff's idea of separate posts
detailing various panels and events. Following will be the first one,
a little bit about me trying to find a suitable convention hall.

(BTW, I've nominated myself as MC-preparer-guy. Mostly 'cuz it was my
idea ;)

-=-Chris-=-

Stewart Brower

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

Chris Gumprich wrote:

> *Ahem*
>
> I would like to throw my full support behind Jeff's idea of separate posts
> detailing various panels and events. Following will be the first one,
> a little bit about me trying to find a suitable convention hall.

This is all very exciting. On behalf of the PATROL, I'd very much like to recommend a
panel on How to Keep 'Em Guessing! -or- The Two-and-a-Half Year Miniseries! (Sigh.)
Actually, the Patrol authors would love to be represented on any panel or event that
would have them. I'm posting this just to let everyone know that we're still hooked up
to life-support, and would love to take part in the con.

Just a quick note: Davey Jones has just signed on as a new Patrol writer. His
enthusiasm is contagious, and we're all expecting great things from this new talent. AND
Strange Bedfellows #2, soon as I hear back from Mendoza!

Stewart Brower
Keeper of the Patrol FAQ
sbr...@rex.uokhsc.edu
"Pulse is weak, but steady..."

The Lone Warrior

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In article <31E15B...@rex.uokhsc.edu>,

Stewart Brower <sbr...@rex.uokhsc.edu> wrote:
>Chris Gumprich wrote:
>>
>> *Ahem*
>>
>> I would like to throw my full support behind Jeff's idea of separate posts
>> detailing various panels and events. Following will be the first one,
>> a little bit about me trying to find a suitable convention hall.
>
>This is all very exciting. On behalf of the PATROL, I'd very much like to
recommend a
>panel on How to Keep 'Em Guessing! -or- The Two-and-a-Half Year Miniseries!
(Sigh.)
>Actually, the Patrol authors would love to be represented on any panel or
event that
>would have them. I'm posting this just to let everyone know that we're still
>hooked up to life-support, and would love to take part in the con.

StarFall would like to be represented as well, perhaps in a panel on
"The Art of Hanging In When No One is Reading" or "Surviving that First Year
as an Imprint". Hell, we're not picky. ;)'

--
Arsenal the Lone Warrior
The Black Knight of the 20th and 23rd Centuries

Remember to read StarFall Comics, on rec.arts.comics.creative
And http://home.ptd.net/~tabrock/starfall/starfall.html